• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Last PASS ex Tennyson (for a while ... ) 3rd June

Started by ozbob, May 30, 2011, 13:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Quote from: timh on August 04, 2021, 14:27:49 PM
Here's my idea for a reopened Tennyson line. Mind you it's a bit foamy as obviously the State Govt. has bigger fish to fry. But I believe that the Tennyson line will be (operationally) easier than ever once 1) Cross River Rail opens, providing a dedicated conflict-free track at Yeerongpilly and 2) Inland Rail opens, reducing freight traffic from the Tennyson line.

See images below:

CORINDA STATION
Currently has a platform totally unused for the Tennyson line ready to go. Completely free of conflicts from the Springfield and Ipswich lines

SHERWOOD EAST STATION
Admittedly this is the foamiest part of my idea, but this spot at the Sherwood Road overpass near the Parklands development seems ripe for a TOD....

TENNYSON STATION
The existing station is too short, on a curve, and mostly demolished. A new station on the straight section just east of the Softstone Road overpass would be a suitable location.

YEERONGPILLY STATION
As you can see by the new track layout from the CRR documents, there will be a short, dedicated track coming from the Tennyson line that would be completely conflict free from Gold Coast and Beenleigh line trains. A new platform on the western side closest to Fairfield road also seems feasible within the existing rail corridor.

^ thanks Tim.  I will have a good look through it all later day.  Appreciate the effort.

:-t
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Couriermail --> Olympics train bid: New push to re-open southside rail line $

QuoteA new push to reopen the Corinda to Tennyson line to passenger trains before the Brisbane Olympics has fallen on deaf ears, with Transport Minister Mark Bailey insisting Cross River Rail will meet demand.

In 2010 the Beattie Labor Government cut passenger services to three in the morning and three in the afternoon, and then completely cut passenger services in 2011.

Since then the line has been used for freight only, despite a flood of medium to high density residential development in the past decade.

Councillor Nicole Johnston (Tennyson) and Greens MP Michael Berkman, whose state seat of Maiwar is just north of the area, said CRR was no substitute.

But Mr Bailey, whose state seat of Miller takes in Tennyson, said the area had too few people to justify reopening the line and it would also lead to "cascading'' delays throughout the southeast Queensland rail network. ...

ozbob

OzGamer

Not sure I'm a supporter of reopening the Tennyson branch to passenger trains, but in the spirit of constructivity, I'll give it a go.

Two areas of high demand that have been identified as potentially underserviced by regular off peak services post-CRR are the Inner West (Milton, Toowong, Indooroopilly) and the Inner South (South Brisbane, Southbank), which may need more than 4tph in off- or counter-peak. Perhaps a Mon-Fri 8AM-6PM service every 15 mins traveling Northgate-City-(Inner Ipswich/Springfield line)-Sherwood-(Tennyson line)-Yeerongpilly-(Inner Beenleigh line)-City-Ferny Grove(?) could solve all of these problems while also directly connecting the inner south and the inner west with a decent service. You wouldn't even need a stop between Sherwood and Yeerongpilly

#Metro

Cr. Adrian Schrinner is using Tennyson Line concept to whack MP Mark Bailey.

Lord mayor joins calls for Tennyson rail line to be reopened
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/lord-mayor-joins-chorus-of-calls-for-tennyson-rail-line-to-be-reopened-20230512-p5d80g.html

Personally I agree with the experts - if QR is going to put on a half-hourly Tennyson train, there isn't much point IMHO.

It would also need to be evaluated against an improved Route 104 bus, which is currently hourly.

I think it did run more frequently, but the frequency was pared back when it became clear that the pax were not there to support it.

In any case, I cannot see either of these measures improving how people in the area can get to and from Indooroopilly Shopping Centre (which is poorly connected to rail).
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

When the connecting  shuttle rail services via Tennyson were operating they were very useful as cross line connectors, as well as the Corinda starters that ran into Brisbane via Yeerongpilly. These were very well patronised. The Tennyson line passenger services were cut when the sector one timetable was revised in 2011. They didn't want sector one mixing with sector 2. Did the commentators actually ever use the services?  I doubt it ..

It is all fairly moot now, the track changes at Yeerongpilly and the new timetables mean it will not happen as the SEQ Rail Connect details the network. 

I would like to see some Ipswich <> Gold Coast services via Tennyson line leading up to and during the Olympics.  These used to run once when steam was king, and the old line to Southport existed.

#Metro

QuoteWhen the connecting  shuttle rail services via Tennyson were operating they were very useful as cross line connectors, as well as the Corinda starters that ran into Brisbane via Yeerongpilly. These were very well patronised. The Tennyson line passenger services were cut when the sector one timetable was revised in 2011. They didn't want sector one mixing with sector 2. Did the commentators actually ever use the services?  I doubt it ..

I've been on it.

It got a good loading for the morning school run from South Brisbane into Corinda. I think a lot of school children from around Mater Hill used it.

Do we have patronage figures for 2011 and prior?

I think Tennyson was a short curved platform station and only three carriages could open onto the platform from memory?

A new station with DDA, lifts, over bridges, lighting, minimal car parks etc, would easily cost $25-$50 million. Not really worth it. Does it flood that area too??

You could of course just run trains straight through to Corinda. Would be faster, but again, I expect demand would be rather low from this sort of operation.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

300LA

This is something I've been mulling over for a day or two. I like the idea of re-opening the Tennyson line. For mine, it's one of those scenarios where the benefit is more than the sum of its parts. As Brisbane grows and becomes more poly-centric, the Tennyson line opens up so many possibilities.

People living in Springfield, Ipswich, or the SW suburbs being able to easily access destinations at Fairfield (shopping centre), Dutton park (PAH), Boggo/Park Road, South Bank or South Bris/Cultural Centre.

Or similarly, those living on the GC, Logan, Southern suburbs being able to easily access Indro (shopping centre), Toowong, Auchenflower (Wesley) or Milton (Lang Park).

There are so many possibilities that this small connection can open up.
Some examples:

Travel times according to TransLink app.
Yeerongpilly to Roma St: 18min.
Yeerongpilly to Boggo Rd: 8min.
Corinna to Roma St is 20min.
Corinna to Indro: 8min

I've also assumed:
Corinna to Yeerongpilly takes no more than 5min.
Transfers incur a nominal penalty of 5min.
Times based on all stopper service (off/counter peak)

Person 1, who's already on the train coming from SW, would take approx 35min to get to Boggo Road (20min inbound + 5min wait + 10min outbound).

Similarly Person 2, who's already on the train coming from the south, would take approx 35min to get to Indro (18min inbound + 5min wait + 12min outbound).

Having the Tennyson line in play:

Person 1, would now only take 18min (5min wait + (5 + 8min) inbound).
Person 2, would now only take 18min (5min wait + (5 + 8min) inbound).

Saving half the time, which could easily be the difference in people choosing to take PT or not.

The proposed CRR network diagram has:
Doomben-Indro services: These could be extended to Yeerongpilly stopping at a new platform 3.
Overlapping Cleveland-Bowenhills &
Ferny Grove-Park Road. The FG-PR services could be extended to Corinda platform 5.

Tennyson UP track & Yeerongpilly P3 would be in the Mains sector.
Tennyson DN track and Corinda P5 would be in the Subs sector.
Capital works could thus be limited to a new platform face and possibly 1-2 passing loops.

For me it's a no brainer. Thoughts?

Jonno

I do think after we have built all the lines already planned there will be a need or plan to build from Ipswich line to Springwood - T7

Connecting SEQ 2031 - T, M, L & B - Full Colour

nathandavid88

I'm just spitballing here, so please feel free to cut down this idea if it won't work, but rather than the traditional idea of services between Corinda and Yeerongpilly, would it be at all possible to run a passenger service from further south on the Beenleigh Line, across Tennyson and then up north via Sherwood (effectively using the same method the Airport Line services use when there's trackwork).

In my mind, I'm thinking a service that starts at Moorooka (Can trains coming out of Clapham form Moorooka starters?), to create as little sector breaking on the Beenleigh Line as possible, and would then form an extension of the short running Indooroopilly services.   

HappyTrainGuy

Fun fact. Sectorisation isn't actually enforced :P trains regularly break these rules especially dead runners. I'm pretty sure you can a couple sub services than ram on the mains this morning.

🡱 🡳