Started by ozbob, May 30, 2011, 13:23:28 PM
Quote from: ozbob on May 30, 2011, 13:23:28 PMFriday 3rd JuneTennyson 3.58pm arrive Corinda 4.01pm. See you at Tennyson for this historic moment. (104 bus leaves Corinda 3:09 3:32 which will get you to Tennyson in time).
Quote from: Mozz on May 30, 2011, 14:10:03 PMAnd spent $10.0M + on building an extravagant bridge to service an almost defunct railway station Gailes
QuoteOnly in the Smart State would we close a railway station right next to a TOD and the state tennis centre.
Quote from: Gazza on May 30, 2011, 18:38:11 PMQuoteOnly in the Smart State would we close a railway station right next to a TOD and the state tennis centre.I thought everyone would just use Yeerongpilly due to the higher frequency.
QuoteI must be one of the few people who is happy to see these service be withdrawn. Flat junction conflicts are BAD, and this line appears to discharge no network function that the upgraded 104 and 105 will not be able to fulfil. Yeerongpilly station is clearly the best choice for anybody in the TOD given the future access to Cross River Rail.Loss of Beenleigh line counterpeak capacity is annoying, but not intrinsically linked to the provision of this service, and can be fixed when the Beenleigh timetables are reviewed.
Quote from: ozbob on May 31, 2011, 10:40:56 AMYou are missing the point. The services have around 400 to 500 pax on them at times. The alternatives now are travel via Roma St and and add to the already overloaded services outbound from Roma St, or the bus. It will take 6 to 8 buses at the peak time to transport them. The few services that were going via Tennyson were very well utilised, and using already existing infrastructure. Now it is just more buses on roads, a road system that is not the best through there either. OK the lack of train paths and infrastructure is making it difficult to continue the services for the time being, and I think we understand that, but the general public doesn't.A lot of parents have complained about the increases in journey time and the complicated travel for students if they use the bus. They will of course extract their revenge at the ballot box.
Quote from: mufreight on May 31, 2011, 14:17:40 PMWell Surfrail and Simon for people who are so ready to spend money or band aid infrastructure and who are so readily calling for additional services that key infrastructure is struggling to accomodate you have both lost the plot on this one.
QuoteThe services that were running through Tennyson will now be effectively starters from or terminate at Yeeroongpilly.By running through Tennyson they provided a connection between the Beenleigh and Ipswich lines that moved considerable numbers of mainly school children between Corinda and South Brisbane in both directions daily the afternoon services that ran at 3.10 and 3.36 from Central to Corinda via South Brisbane both carried loads in excess of 250 pax and on occasion up to 400 pax on the run across between Yeeroongpilly and Corinda.
QuoteBy canning these services the choices that will be forced on these passengers alone are train to Yeeroongpilly then the 104 bus to Corinda to join an Ipswich line train, how many pax does the 104 bus hold? or reverse their direction of travel from Park Road, South Bank and South Brisbane stations then join the already basket case at that time of the day Ipswich line trains such as the present 3.35 ex Central which is already an overloaded armpit special to reach their Ipswich line destinations by a longer and slower trip.
QuoteAnother real brain wave designed to deter the use of public transport inflicted upon commuters by the intractiable thoughtless Translink and Queensland Transport planners.Congratulations.
QuoteInteresting photograph 1895 Yeerongpilly. Line to Tennyson can be seen heading off to the right ..
Quote from: tramtrain on May 31, 2011, 14:44:12 PMQuoteInteresting photograph 1895 Yeerongpilly. Line to Tennyson can be seen heading off to the right ..I wonder what the frequency was then... hahah
Quote from: tramtrain on June 01, 2011, 08:32:54 AMWhy not just a bus from Pk Road?That way you can catch any cleveland train and make the connection.
QuoteTennyson HistoryTennyson's history has been compiled as part of the BRISbites community history project.Aboriginal historyThe Jagara Tribe occupied the area south of the Brisbane River, before the arrival of white men in 1823. The Aborigines in this area were probably originally of the Yerongpan clan, who lived along Oxley Creek. The flat country was covered in vine scrub and Aborigines lived and hunted along Oxley Creek. The creeks abounded in fish and wild duck lived on the lagoons. Rocky Water Holes Creek connected a series of lagoons that provided edible lilies as well as fish and molluscs.In 1823, three lost cedar cutters, Pamphlett, Finnegan and Parsons, passed through Tennyson to Oxley Creek, where they found two canoes, which were placed there to enable people to cross the river. The Aborigines remained in the area, camped along the river, for some time after white settlement, before they were pushed out by land clearing and farming.Urban developmentIn 1823, three cedar cutters who had been blown off course in a storm passed through Tennyson. At that time, and for another forty years, the scrub was 'so thick you could not shove your hand into it unless there was a tomahawk in your hand'. The first use made of the area was when timber cutters felled trees and floated them downriver in the 1850s.In 1861, George Pratten surveyed the land in Tennyson for farmland, and the first blocks were sold in the following year. James Strong bought 40 acres on the junction of Oxley Creek and the Brisbane River, the Grimes brothers bought 28 acres on the site of the golf course and J Mooney bought land on the river where the Powerhouse later stood.By 1882, most of the suburb was under agriculture. Arrowroot, cotton and bananas were all grown in the early years. The Grimes had an arrowroot mill and later sugar was grown. In 1869, Amos Radcliffe built the first sugar mill in the area and later the Pearlwell Central Sugar Mill was opened. A series of bad winters in the 1870s destroyed the sugar industry and arrowroot, grains and vegetables dominated later farming in Tennyson.The river was the primary means of transporting people and crops until the railway line went through in 1884. At the beginning of the twentieth century the population increased as facilities and transport improved.After World War One, industrialisation grew as farming declined. In 1934 the first school in Tennyson opened. There were no shops in the suburb until after the Second World War when a butcher, grocery and unofficial post office began in Lancelot Street.In the following decades the powerhouse was built, the markets were relocated to Rocklea, with access via Tennyson and more light industry developed. The character of Tennyson changed from semi-rural to a busy semi-industrial and commercial suburb, although the area near Oxley Creek remains a quiet residential enclave.Notable residentsJames Strong bought 41 acres of land where Oxley Creek joins the Brisbane River in 1861. He cleared much of the land and planted a variety of crops, including arrowroot, sugar and potatoes at various times. The floods of 1863 and 1864 inundated his land, but he continued to farm in the area. He built a solid house with verandahs on all sides, opposite the end of Merlin Street. He named it 'Softstone' after the area, but by 1897 the name was changed to 'Tennyson'. It was built above the flood level and survived the 1893 flood.Strong also owned 95 acres across Oxley Creek, and Strong Street, Graceville, was named after him. He was an elected member of the Stephens Divisional Board and he lived in 'Tennyson' until 1917. The house continued to stand until the 1970s.Thomas Pamphlett was the first white man to cross Oxley Creek at Tennyson, and his name has been commemorated in a variety of enterprises in the area, including the bridge. In 1823, with three other ex-convicts, he left Sydney to collect a load of timber. They were blown off course by a five-day gale, and, believing they had been blown south, they set off to sail north to Sydney. After three weeks sailing, the remaining three men landed on Moreton Island and after befriending the local Aborigines they crossed to the mainland.They walked to the Brisbane River and then upstream to find a place to cross. At Tennyson, Pamphlett swam Oxley Creek to get a canoe that the Aborigines had stored there. They crossed the river, but the undergrowth was too thick, so they returned to the south bank and continued downstream and then crossed further down.At Redcliffe, they met John Oxley who was investigating the site for a future convict colony. They helped him explore the Brisbane River and then returned to Sydney. Pamphlett later broke the law again and was returned to Moreton Bay - this time as a convict!LandmarksTennyson Power Station was built on the site of 'Hayslope', Thomas Martin's elegant home. The Brisbane City Council acquired the land in 1947 and began clearing the site two years later. The site was chosen for its solid foundations, closeness to water and access to Ipswich coal from the railway line.It was built in two stages with a diesel powered auxiliary plant being built as well. The first stage was opened in 1953. The contractor, Australian General Electric, installed General Electric 5,000 kW turbo alternators generating at 11,000 volts at a speed of 3,000 rpm. The plant was assembled by BCC employees and cost one million pounds. It stopped working in 1986.Tennyson State School opened in 1934 after several years campaigning by local residents. William and John Walker, a local firm, built the school for 32. The first teacher was Benjamin Muldoon. Suffering from low attendance, the school was to be closed in 1967, but 25 pupils were enrolled in 1968. The school was closed in 1972 and reopened shortly afterwards as a special school.The first request from a bridge spanning Oxley Creek was sent in 1863. In the 1930s there was a plan to build one at the end of King Arthur Terrace, but it met with public opposition. Finally, Pamphlett Bridge was opened in 1964.Reference: BRISbites, 2000
Quote from: ozbob on June 03, 2011, 18:38:00 PM
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 20 queries.