• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Quote from: Arnz on March 26, 2013, 13:19:52 PM
^

Indooroopilly had a 15 min frequency out of peak (the old Shorncliffe-Corinda interpeak) well before the 88 was started.
But not on weekends.  Also not early evening.  I'll correct that.

Set in train

Quote from: techblitz on March 23, 2013, 18:53:54 PM
the biggest failure of the bus review imo was not outlining the secondary route frequencies/start/finish times.
Yes it would have taken a lot longer to get this task done but it would certainly have given a clearer picture for those who were getting thier favorite routes axed.

eg:  im in salisbury east and would have been on the losing end of the cancellation of the 120.Frequent #23 going down lillian instead of henson...S404 unaccessable...and s405??????Hello more details plz.....

Come on lol.....you dont cancel a MAJOR buz route and not tell the people who rely on that buz route the operating hours and frequencies of the other routes!!!!.Leaving them in the dark will only have one outcome...NEGATIVITY.And thats just what the review got.
I guess with the way things panned out yesterday...luckily they didnt spend the extra time and money ::)

Exactly my thoughts. It's why I never bothered to make a submission as I had no idea of freq or operating span. I figured as much that the review would fall apart.

kazzac

>:DI"ve seen inbound 200 and 222i/b services travelling along OC Rd in the arvo between 3.45pm and 4pm [on my way home]almost empty.Waste!! >:D
only an occasional PT user now!

MaxHeadway

Being stuck at the stop near Coorparoo Secondary College around 10 am today—since the outbound 184 was 10-15 minutes late—I got to watch between five and ten "blank running" buses hurtle east along Stanley St.

This cannot keep going: It's not like BCC have money to spend willy-nilly.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Brent on March 26, 2013, 20:00:35 PM
Being stuck at the stop near Coorparoo Secondary College around 10 am today—since the outbound 184 was 10-15 minutes late—I got to watch between five and ten "blank running" buses hurtle east along Stanley St.

This cannot keep going: It's not like BCC have money to spend willy-nilly.

True, as I understand it the bulk of the money comes from TransLink   :fp:
Regards,
Fares_Fair

MaxHeadway

Jonno

If I was Translink I would just stop paying BCC for air services.  Pay for the full ones and let BCC pay entirely for empty services.

#Metro

QuoteI"ve seen inbound 200 and 222i/b services travelling along OC Rd in the arvo between 3.45pm and 4pm [on my way home]almost empty.Waste!!

Yes but they don't have to transfer now and it is direct and convenient. </sarcasm>
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

27th March 2013

Re: Public transport crisis

Greetings,

It is time the Minister for Transport actually outlined what  he is going to expect from the BCC Bus review.  More of the same self-centred system,  or an improved network as proposed by TransLink that starts to address the years of accrued mediocrity by BCC?  Maybe the Premier should stand by his desire for the state to take over the buses from BCC, I mean he is the Premier now.

SEQ is headlong into a public transport crisis, does anyone actually care?

Enjoy your commute!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on March 26, 2013, 05:34:52 AM
Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman wants State Government to run buses --> http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/campbell-newman-wants-state-government-to-run-buses/story-e6freoof-1225839337936 ... #qldpol #showstherealmentalityofBCC

" ... LORD Mayor Campbell Newman wants the State Government to run Brisbane's bus network, which he says is being overcrowded by commuters who live outside the city ... "

No idea what an integrated network is ...  Minister you need to act!!
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Gazza

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ptvic/Network+Development+Plan+-+Metropolitan+Rail+-+Long+document+-+updated.pdf

Pg 24

QuoteConvenient and frequent intermodal connections are a key feature of a metro-style system. A
significant number of Melbourne's public transport trips involve such transfers – 50 per cent of all
bus trips
, 40 per cent of tram trips and 35 per cent of train trips.

ozbob

Yes, but doesn't work according to Lord Mayor Quirk ....   ::)

He needs to get out of Brisbane ...

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

27th March 2013

Transfers are part of all good public transport networks

Greetings,

PTV has launched Victoria's version of connecting SEQ 2031

Network Development Plan - Metropolitan Rail

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news/news-promotions/network-development-plan-metropolitan-rail/

What is interesting is the high number of transfers in Melbourne.  Melbourne has a much better public transport principally because it is a connected network.  Something the Lord Mayor and Minister Emerson don't understand

Page  24

Convenient and frequent intermodal connections are a key feature of a metro-style system. A
    significant number of Melbourne's public transport trips involve such transfers – 50 per cent of all
    bus trips, 40 per cent of tram trips and 35 per cent of train trips.

Oh dear ...  Lord Mayor Quirk is caught in yesterday's transport paradigm.  Do you think they can be trusted with network planning?   

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Don't say it, I will say it for you ....

BRISBANE AND QUEENSLANDERS ARE DIFFERENT, TRANSFERS WONT WORK!

They certainly are different, transfers work fine, hallmark of all successful public transport networks  ....   :P

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on March 23, 2013, 20:14:29 PM
Yes.  I am getting constantly attacked, which is another sign of the lack of any real meaningful education process here. (The attacks don't bother by the way, just confirms what a shocker this has been in the PR/education side of things).

I read the Quest News comments, around 55 of them to one article, many negative of Bob without reason. As you say, personally, no matter, but keep communicating, keep responding/asking for right of reply to correct these people so they know.

Do the communicating to convey your position that TL has not done for theirs.

Money is the best way to connect, if people understand that no review/little change in routes results in ever increasing fares rather than a plateau or heaven forbid a reduction, they will get the message then to get behind it.

Set in train

Quote from: SurfRail on March 23, 2013, 21:03:04 PM
I don't think Brisbane is salvageable.

Out and about today on the Gold Coast, I saw:
- Buses carrying full seated and full standing loads all over the place
- A light rail system under construction
- Double decker buses
- Large bus interchanges at all of the city's train stations
- QR and Surfside working together to clear people from an event at Skilled Park
- Zero duplication between bus and rail
- Reasonably simple route network

What you didn't see was duplication of single line track or extension of track the whole length of the coast.

What you didn't see was any skerrick of coordination between QR and SS (surfside) for transport services. I have been told by many long term SS drivers that when QR paid for the Trainlink buses eg from Helensvale and Nerang stations, the radio contact was frequent either call to hold the bus if train was late or hold the train if bus is late. Now they simply don't care nor talk any more. I can never get the 745 eternal late bus to radio their base to call QR and see that damn train leaving the station as the bus arrives. The many times I've been on the train passing through Nerang, it leaves almost 1 min early only to wait for the signal at Helensvale (the single track has its advantages but it is not harnessed).

But yes, you did see a lot of good happening on the coast that doesn't happen in the capital city.

Set in train

Quote from: Lapdog on March 23, 2013, 21:29:10 PM
Relevant BCC motions ---
16.   The Councillor for Richlands Ward, Councillor Milton Dick, has been consulted and does not support the recommendation.

18.   The Divisional Manager recommends as follows and the Committee agrees, with Councillor Steve Griffiths dissenting.

19.   RECOMMENDATION:

THAT THE PETITIONERS BE ADVISED OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT.
ADOPTED

What are these queer councillors opposing now? Opposition at opposition by the majority members of their opposition of the state's bus review? Giddy stuff.  :hg

Set in train

Quote from: SurfRail on March 23, 2013, 21:56:23 PM
OK, I'm going to suggest something interesting.

How about this?

We get a team of BCC-located representatives together, and we beat the door down until we get a meeting with the BT people to express our concerns and state our position to them directly.

Clearly banging away at them in the press is not going to achieve the desired result by itself.

Thoughts?

Great idea and we metaphorically beat down their door with copies of HT and other suitable transport planning principles.

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on March 24, 2013, 12:40:06 PM
to do the same on bus you need say another 7 buses and drivers. The TransLink planners were trying to achieve that to use rail to generate better cost reductions, but BCC fails to grasp these fairly basic planning considerations.

This is what the community needs to know and grasp. BT is merely a provider (of buses only), TL is the umbrella organisation that decides how the services it contracts out providers are designed. Providers don't design.

SurfRail

Quote from: Set in train on March 27, 2013, 15:16:48 PMWhat you didn't see was duplication of single line track or extension of track the whole length of the coast.

No, not that day - I only see it every weekday though.  :)

Quote from: Set in train on March 27, 2013, 15:16:48 PMWhat you didn't see was any skerrick of coordination between QR and SS (surfside) for transport services. I have been told by many long term SS drivers that when QR paid for the Trainlink buses eg from Helensvale and Nerang stations, the radio contact was frequent either call to hold the bus if train was late or hold the train if bus is late. Now they simply don't care nor talk any more. I can never get the 745 eternal late bus to radio their base to call QR and see that damn train leaving the station as the bus arrives. The many times I've been on the train passing through Nerang, it leaves almost 1 min early only to wait for the signal at Helensvale (the single track has its advantages but it is not harnessed).

The longest term Surfside drivers would probably also tell you that the old Route 22 express was one of the worst possible shifts to drive given the virtual absence of turnaround time and immense pressure to connect to those trains.  The current 745 is a significant improvement as it increases the capacity along Nerang Broadbeach Rd by no longer running express (and its hardly necessary anyway given the wide stop spacing), and there is plenty of recovery time.

Near as I am aware there is no such radio contact any more for the simple reason that it is no longer branded or advertised as a coordinated service, which was the whole point of the at-the-time through-ticketing which was only good for those buses.  The timetable is supposed to remove the need for it because it is nowhere near as tight as it used to be, but the coast is full of disruptions for the next 18 months until the trams are bedded in.

There is going to be a lot of delay to virtually everything because of the light rail works, which is exacerbated because Surfside over the last few years have completely abandoned the separation which used to happen between highway and inland rosters.  That had many reasons behind (not the least of which was to keep minibuses segregated off the highway), but it also meant the network was more sectorised than it is now where buses from all 3 depots can end up virtually anywhere, like Canberra's system.  My bus home at night has already done a 750 through Surfers in both directions in what is the busiest time of the day, and has to get through 5pm traffic through Southport and the highway corridor, and as a consequence is usually 30 minutes late.

Also keep in mind that both Helensvale and Nerang are meant to have 15 minute frequency services post LRT (and in Helensvale's case pre-LRT), so guaranteed connections will be less relevant (although train frequency will still be half-hourly).
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on March 23, 2013, 21:56:23 PM
OK, I'm going to suggest something interesting.

How about this?

We get a team of BCC-located representatives together, and we beat the door down until we get a meeting with the BT people to express our concerns and state our position to them directly.

Clearly banging away at them in the press is not going to achieve the desired result by itself.

Thoughts?
You know what?  BCC actually have a process for seeking permission to speak at a council meeting.  I'm going to try for it.

BrizCommuter

http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/brisbane-city-council.html
BrizCommuter on why Brisbane City Council shouldn't be left to review a bus network.

#Metro

This is what public consultation looks like --->

See the images - tables, maps, facilitators, ideas, discussion.

What did Emerson give us - an El Cheapo internet, one way feedback form. Will the buses and trains have no roof on them either because that's cheaper?

WOOF!!

#Metro

Quotehttp://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/brisbane-city-council.html
BrizCommuter on why Brisbane City Council shouldn't be left to review a bus network.

Brizcommuter, I hereby petition you to include and image and section dealing with the Paris Hilton Rocket 161 ex Wishart and route image. It is the EPITOME of waste!!

somebody

Quote from: Lapdog on March 27, 2013, 19:50:10 PM
See the images - tables, maps, facilitators, ideas, discussion.
What I see is a slick presentation with minimal info.

Quote from: Lapdog on March 27, 2013, 19:50:10 PM
What did Emerson give us - an El Cheapo internet, one way feedback form. Will the buses and trains have no roof on them either because that's cheaper?
Light years ahead of what we're used to.

#Metro

QuoteLight years ahead of what we're used to.

He didn't deliver it!! Same as Nolan et al. with the Conning SEQ 2031 - commuters would die and go to heaven for just $3 billion per year, each and every year for the next 20 years... IMPOSSIBLE!!

somebody

Quote from: Lapdog on March 27, 2013, 20:26:57 PM
QuoteLight years ahead of what we're used to.

He didn't deliver it!! Same as Nolan et al. with the Conning SEQ 2031 - commuters would die and go to heaven for just $3 billion per year, each and every year for the next 20 years... IMPOSSIBLE!!
He did deliver the consultation which is what I was referring to.

#Metro

QuoteHe did deliver the consultation which is what I was referring to.

No he didn't. I don't remember having the opportunity to sit at a table in a room with 30 other people with a map and facilitator. The rejection of the bus plan was part rejection of non-self. Had people had a practical hand in its creation and routing, it would have sailed through IMHO.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

28th March 2013

Greetings,

A good summary of the bus failure (see below).   Lord Mayor Quirk should consider resigning as well.  A Lord Mayor that misrepresents the fact that the bus network is not broken is misleading the community and media.

Why did the Minister for Transport order that TransLink, quite properly, review the network?

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

===================================

Brisbane City Council's "not broken" bus network

Quote from: ozbob on March 27, 2013, 12:54:32 PM
Sent to all outlets:

27th March 2013

Transfers are part of all good public transport networks

Greetings,

PTV has launched Victoria's version of connecting SEQ 2031

Network Development Plan - Metropolitan Rail

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news/news-promotions/network-development-plan-metropolitan-rail/

What is interesting is the high number of transfers in Melbourne.  Melbourne has a much better public transport principally because it is a connected network.  Something the Lord Mayor and Minister Emerson don't understand

Page  24

Convenient and frequent intermodal connections are a key feature of a metro-style system. A
    bus trips, 40 per cent of tram trips and 35 per cent of train trips.

Oh dear ...  Lord Mayor Quirk is caught in yesterday's transport paradigm.  Do you think they can be trusted with network planning?   

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Media release 28th March 2013

SEQ: Bus review must be salvaged

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has called for the Minister for Transport and Main Roads to stop the charade of the BCC bus review, and direct TransLink and BCC to sit down and work through objections to the TransLink Bus Review (1).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The bus system run by BCC has reached a critical conjunction of failure."

"The TransLink Bus Review was the right thing to do."

"Despite Lord Mayor Quirk's assertions that the bus system is "not broken" the evidence in the review background data indicates clearly that it is."

"The Minister needs to act to stop the charade, and get the bus review back on track!"

References:

1. Brisbane City Council's "not broken" bus network

2. Crikey Blog on Brisbane's bus changes:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/2013/03/25/is-the-qld-government-missing-the-bus/

3. Human Transit Blog on Auckland's network design:
http://www.humantransit.org/2012/10/auckland-how-network-redesign-can-transform-a-citys-possibilities.html

4. Human Transit Blog on transit design goals:
http://www.humantransit.org/2013/03/abundant-access-a-map-of-the-key-transit-choices.html

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

28th March 2013

Greetings,

Have a look at the data on the TransLink web site for February 2013.

Bus reliability continues to be worse than rail, no surprise.

Fare affordability worsens significantly.

http://translink.com.au/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/patronage-and-customer-satisfaction

http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/public-transport-performance/2013-feb/2013-02-affordability.png

http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/public-transport-performance/2013-feb/2013-02-reliability-frequency.png

Nothing broken ...  lol

Ho hummm

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

It is very significant that even with the poor frequency on the rail network as compared to bus, bus is lagging in the reliability frequency measure.

Not broken? 

somebody

Quote from: Lapdog on March 27, 2013, 22:19:59 PM
QuoteHe did deliver the consultation which is what I was referring to.

No he didn't. I don't remember having the opportunity to sit at a table in a room with 30 other people with a map and facilitator. The rejection of the bus plan was part rejection of non-self. Had people had a practical hand in its creation and routing, it would have sailed through IMHO.
Bag it as much as you like, I don't think it was that bad.

SurfRail

I think the main failing of the consultation was that it failed completely to be proactive.  Just putting it online really doesn't cut it.
Ride the G:

techblitz

Quote from: ozbob on March 28, 2013, 07:02:53 AM
It is very significant that even with the poor frequency on the rail network as compared to bus, bus is lagging in the reliability frequency measure.

Not broken?

i was taking those stats seriously until i saw that faulty gocard readers are included ::)
how many gocard readers are out there on the bus network compared to the number of stationary readers sitting at train stations?
Odds are highly stacked for train stations to do better than buses on that scale.

ozbob

Quote from: techblitz on March 28, 2013, 11:34:22 AM
Quote from: ozbob on March 28, 2013, 07:02:53 AM

Not broken?

i was taking those stats seriously until i saw that faulty gocard readers are included ::)
how many gocard readers are out there on the bus network compared to the number of stationary readers sitting at train stations?
Odds are highly stacked for train stations to do better than buses on that scale.

Reliability of readers is > 99% on bus and rail systems, the measure is really the public's perception of reliability (OTP) and frequency.  Not dodgy official bus OTP etc. which I might add has stopped being published for bus because it is was bullsh%t.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Lapdog on March 27, 2013, 20:00:23 PM
Quotehttp://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/brisbane-city-council.html

Brizcommuter, I hereby petition you to include and image and section dealing with the Paris Hilton Rocket 161 ex Wishart and route image. It is the EPITOME of waste!!

There will be a sequel to the last post.

ozbob

It would appear that regions other than Brisbane are still going ahead as outlined the TL review, with some possible modification based on feedback I expect.  For example, the new high frequency 524 ... HAHAHA

Gold Coast, Ipswich (Springfield not clear though), Sunshine Coast are probably not directly affected by what BT do, other than starving funds for service improvement so that the pampered can be powdered and fattened a little more.  Other near regions will probably have some changes too I expect.

This disjoint is ludicrous, TransLink and BCC  ... but that's Queensland ...

🡱 🡳