• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

So, the question needs to be asked though. Are regions other than Brisbane going to have ' cuts ' to support the largesse in Brisbane?
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

#Metro

QuoteCouriermail Quest --> Evolution seen as key to reshaping city's bus network

1. The review had holes in it, although overall, it was technically sound. Many of the issues were down to BCC non-participation.

2. Just because elderly/disadvantaged people catch the bus doesn't mean that the bus route is untouchable and can't be reformed. See point #1. Had the "consultation" not been such a botch job, these would have been ironed. I find it hard to believe that a department with all resources at its fingertips couldn't have booked out the Brisbane Convention Centre and run facilitator groups there from across the city. If this sounds all to hard, BCC have already done something like this in the past.

3. TransLink needs to develop proper DRT solutions and Paratransit options such as flexibus/flexitaxi which covers a whole area without fixed route. This alternative was not properly developed at all. Mobility scooter subsidies could also be considered, as buying those would be cheaper than running a bus in some cases. http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/invasion-of-the-scooters-20100225-p4nr.html

4. Quirk needs to be challenged about what this "evolution" into what is? Failure to fix the fundamentals will still cause problems, no matter what anyone thinks or believes. People's opinions and beliefs don't change facts - the network is direct service and as long as that is so, it will need ever increasing funds to support its continuation while clogging the CBD with air laden buses. This also means that trains run empty and high frequency all day is going to be harder as well.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: BrizCommuter on March 28, 2013, 17:32:18 PM
Quote from: Lapdog on March 27, 2013, 20:00:23 PM
Quotehttp://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/brisbane-city-council.html
BrizCommuter on why Brisbane City Council shouldn't be left to review a bus network.

Brizcommuter, I hereby petition you to include and image and section dealing with the Paris Hilton Rocket 161 ex Wishart and route image. It is the EPITOME of waste!!

There will be a sequel to the last post.
Sequel is now up
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/more-of-brisbane-city-councils-not.html
(Apologies for cross posting in two threads).

Last blog post got reddit-ed. Lots of views!
Yet another case study coming.

ozbob

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 09:57:14 AM
From the South West News 20th March 2013 page one

Articles page 3

The Springfield Edition of the South West News ran a positive story re the bus review ..

From the South West News Springfield Edition 20 March 2013 page 1, 2

Uni on track

Golliwog

Quote from: techblitz on March 28, 2013, 11:34:22 AM
Quote from: ozbob on March 28, 2013, 07:02:53 AM
It is very significant that even with the poor frequency on the rail network as compared to bus, bus is lagging in the reliability frequency measure.

Not broken?

i was taking those stats seriously until i saw that faulty gocard readers are included ::)
how many gocard readers are out there on the bus network compared to the number of stationary readers sitting at train stations?
Odds are highly stacked for train stations to do better than buses on that scale.
I'd point out that while I've once again start using FG station on a daily basis during PM peak it's very rare to have all gates working. Even when they do, from the busier trains it's not unusual to have the queues (yes plural, we're way organized at FG, each gate gets its own line) for the gates all the way up the sloped ramp onto the platforms.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

petey3801

Quote from: Golliwog on April 01, 2013, 18:03:14 PM
It is very significant that even with the poor frequency on the rail network as compared to bus, bus is lagging in the reliability frequency measure.

Not broken?

i was taking those stats seriously until i saw that faulty gocard readers are included ::)
how many gocard readers are out there on the bus network compared to the number of stationary readers sitting at train stations?
Odds are highly stacked for train stations to do better than buses on that scale.
I'd point out that while I've once again start using FG station on a daily basis during PM peak it's very rare to have all gates working. Even when they do, from the busier trains it's not unusual to have the queues (yes plural, we're way organized at FG, each gate gets its own line) for the gates all the way up the sloped ramp onto the platforms.

While I was at FYG the other day waiting for my next run, the station staff lady on duty come up and had a chat with us, basically saying she hated those gates! They will work properly all day, but as soon as peak comes along, they always have several gates fail in the direction of peak flow.. Not sure what is wrong with them, but seems like an ongoing problem that should be worked out..
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: petey3801 on April 01, 2013, 18:35:26 PM

Not broken?

While I was at FYG the other day waiting for my next run, the station staff lady on duty come up and had a chat with us, basically saying she hated those gates! They will work properly all day, but as soon as peak comes along, they always have several gates fail in the direction of peak flow.. Not sure what is wrong with them, but seems like an ongoing problem that should be worked out..

Central is no different.

Golliwog

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on April 01, 2013, 18:41:13 PM
Quote from: petey3801 on April 01, 2013, 18:35:26 PM

Not broken?

Central is no different.
Perhaps, but generally speaking, up top Central has enough gates, even when some are faulty, to cater for the load. Going down to the subway under the platforms however where you have what 5 or 6 gates? catering to each platform pair you get queues everytime a peak train arrives, even without broken gates. It just bugs me that this is a entirely rebuilt station and they can't get the gates to function properly to cater to the existing demand.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

HappyTrainGuy

I wonder if it might be connection problems with the demand ie the time it takes the equipment to check the card with the manned gates - info might be sent from the gate to the station office then sent to Cubic then back to the station and then to the gates.

#Metro

Why can't they make it like e-tag? No touching anything, just walk straight through. 100km/hour!!

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

2nd April 2013

Re: Bus Review: Broken bus network reveals broken transport governance

Greetings,

The evidence is clear.  Public transport in south-east Queensland is now in a crisis.  A failure to drive the necessary network changes has now left any real chance of an improved fare system doubtful as well.

The lack of balance and support for the proposed bus changes has condemned south-east Queensland to public transport mediocrity.  There was some balanced reporting (see below), mostly hysterical  poorly researched cheap shots.

The other critical issue is the failure of the Minister to successfully drive the correct outcomes.  What now for TransLink?  It is clear to me that both Queensland Rail and Brisbane Transport are being set up for franchise/privatisation.

The situation is beyond farcical, it is tragic.  There are solutions, no one will listen.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 09:57:14 AM

The Springfield Edition of the South West News ran a positive story re the bus review ..

From the South West News Springfield Edition 20 March 2013 page 1, 2

Uni on track

Quote from: ozbob on April 01, 2013, 03:31:42 AM
Media release 1 April 2013 (Not an April fool joke sadly ...)

Bus Review: Broken bus network reveals broken transport governance

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport commuters declares broken the governance of Brisbane's Transport.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"BCC will conduct a bus review from 22 April, but there are larger problems than just good bus route design.

"The good governance of public transport service procurement is broken.

"Passengers, ratepayers and taxpayers can have no confidence that they are getting value for money when the supplier captures the purchaser, which is what has happened between Brisbane City Council and TransLink. With BCC ratepayers paying $400 before they even board a bus, this is paramount."

"Firstly, Brisbane Transport, a division of Brisbane City Council, declined to participate and co-operate with TransLink's review. This led to flaws in the TransLink review's route design which caused public disapproval to a report that is almost identical in it's recommendations to one that has wide public support in Auckland, NZ. Brisbane Transport is funded by state and local governments, and its public duty is to have co-operated and it has failed to do this. It is not appropriate that Brisbane City Council which owns the commercial bus operator that is Brisbane Transport draw up the bus routes and unfair on all other 15 bus operators within SEQ who, by simple virtue of their private ownership, do not have this power."

"The second failure was at State Government level. By inappropriately handing over the review, the supplier (Brisbane Transport) captured the regulator and purchaser of transport services (TransLink). In effect, the Minister has effectively abolished TransLink's bus functions within the Brisbane area and outsourced it to the BCC. He has undone a decade's worth of work to integrate Brisbane's public transport. This is unacceptable and worthy of a Queensland Auditor-General investigation in our opinion."

"It is also anti-integration and anti-public transport as BCC will never agree to having its buses running into Loganholme, the heart of Logan City Council, as was planned by TransLink's amalgamation of the 111 and 555 bus services."

"The Minister for Transport, Mr Emerson, has failed in his duty to uphold the interests of the wider people of Queensland. He should step down as Minister in our opinion."

"The first steps out of this mess is the establishment of Brisbane Transport as an arms length incorporated company with its own governing board, wholly owned but separate from Brisbane City Council."

"The State Government should move towards competitive tendering for all bus contract regions across SEQ - Sydney is saving $18 million per year as part of it's bus tendering. The Auditor General or Independent Commission of Audit should also audit Brisbane City Council and Brisbane Transport as well."

"The current Brisbane bus system is financially, operationally and politically unsustainable and is putting massive upward pressure to increase fares which are already some of the highest in the world."

References:

1. TransLink, frequent network route #20, Brisbane City to Loganholme http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review/Route-111.png

2. New bus contract tenders to drive improvements http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/new-bus-contract-tenders-drive-improvements

3. Do you support a call for the resignation of the Minister for Transport & MR? http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9749.0

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

Letter to the editor Queensland Times 2nd April 2013 page 9

Transport review about more than just bus cuts

ozbob

SEQ Bus Network Review - disappeared from TL web site as a direct link,  still available on the url ...

--> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on April 03, 2013, 05:05:39 AM
SEQ Bus Network Review - disappeared from TL web site as a direct link,  still available on the url ...

--> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review

Link to SEQ Bus Review is back on the main page ...   :bo

somebody

Quote from: skinny6 on April 03, 2013, 09:23:12 AM
My suggestion to the Councillors and BT planners... Go and stand at the cultural centre and Melbourne street portal for an hour and you will see the congestion and the amount of 'air' traveling to the city
Council would say that the state is to blame for setting the fares too high, and with a fair bit of justification too.

I'd say stand at North Quay between Adelaide St and the Victoria Bridge at 5pm and see the amount of air in the left hand southbound lane then try and say with a straight face that the system isn't broken.

#Metro

TransLink sets fares, BT sets costs. Two are linked. Importantly, Translink sets fares well below costs, so no one can complain. no profit to be seen.

ozbob

From TransLink News email ..

SEQ bus network review update

Last chance to have your say

Visit Get Involved between now and Sunday 7 April to provide your feedback on the SEQ Bus Network Review report and its recommendations.

We're still taking feedback on the proposed network changes. Brisbane City Council will be finalising the plan for Brisbane and any feedback will be provided to Council for their consideration.

Read more about the review.

Set in train

Back in town and this seems to be the latest progress of the BCC 'review':

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/buses/

Was I incorrect in thinking or were we all mistaken that the review would be open for comment by now through to almost ANZAC Day but now seems to be only open for comment/public viewing from just before ANZAC Day?

somebody

Pretty sure the BCC's review was never planned to be released until 22 April.  That's significantly less time that Translink took with it.

ozbob

Quote from: Set in train on April 10, 2013, 13:21:27 PM
Back in town and this seems to be the latest progress of the BCC 'review':

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/buses/

Was I incorrect in thinking or were we all mistaken that the review would be open for comment by now through to almost ANZAC Day but now seems to be only open for comment/public viewing from just before ANZAC Day?

There is a thread on the BCC review here --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9754.0

Mr X

Quote from: Simon on April 10, 2013, 14:49:38 PM
Pretty sure the BCC's review was never planned to be released until 22 April.  That's significantly less time that Translink took with it.

Gives them enough time to come up with reasons why it shouldn't be changed!
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

From Itrending click here!

TRANSPORT TURMOIL

QuoteTRANSPORT TURMOIL

By Danny Saba

The unclear scope of Brisbane City Council's (BCC) bus review is of "great concern" to the local community, according to Councillor for Tennyson Ward Nicole Johnston.

"The state government's decision to hand responsibility of the bus review to BCC was one of the most extraordinary local political decisions we've seen.

"While the Translink proposed changes are off the table, the lord mayor has indicated there are likely to be cuts to bus services.

Ms Johnston says we won't know what these bus cuts will be until April 22 when BCC announces their review.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson disclosed in a media release that no changes to the bus network would be made without BCC's input.

"Local councillors know their local bus routes and are best placed to identify the needs of local residents," Mr Emerson said.

Shadow transport minister Jackie Trad said in a statement that the review was a sham from the beginning.

"The minister never mentioned his overarching ambition to slash local community bus routes in favour of peak-hour transit," she said.

A spokesperson for Community group RAIL Back on Track, Robert Dow, criticised Mr Emerson's decision to cancel the Translink review.

"There was a hysterical reaction because people just thought their bus routes were going, but actually in many cases there were better arrangements.

"BCC has been doing it for the last 30 years and all they've produced is a fantastic mess.

"A lot of the councillors don't even know what they're talking about.

"Nicole Johnston has actually denied her constituents a high frequency bus."

In response, Ms Johnston said it's not about denying residents a service.

"You can't extend a service and then cut all the other routes that service that suburb.

"Mr Dow should stick to dealing with feedback on trains not busses because clearly he's not aware of the importance of bus services to local communities."

somebody

ozbob

HappyTrainGuy

Ms Johnston certainly hasn't listened to what locals actually want or had a look at their pethetic bus network. What other bus network still has 2 hourly routes and no sunday services? Strathpine to Sandgate on 2 seperate buses? The only proper loop feeder runs every 2 hours between peak hour only around Chermside? The mess of the 330, 331, 332, 333, 340, 341, 370 along Gympie Road. How many off peak 30 minute frequencies are there on the northside? Why does the 327 arrive at Geebung Station around the very exact time the trains arrive and depart!

somebody

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on April 15, 2013, 19:23:15 PM
The mess of the 330, 331, 332, 333, 340, 341, 370 along Gympie Road. 
I don't actually think that's all that bad.  Always room for improvement.

HappyTrainGuy

Certainly could be alot better. IMHO it should be 1 stopping pattern... maybe some sort of 370 option depending on how the network is set up. If you happen to shadow buses along that corridor you always see someone stand up to flag a bus at a couple stops only to see them with the "WTF" face as the bus goes past. The stop outside the Hungry Jacks/KFC, the stop outside Chemist Warehouse/Cityfarmers, Truro Street, Windsor Station and Federation Street should all be on the one pattern for northern suburb routes. I know you're not a fan of the 330 all stop pattern but it is something that should highly be considered with the 331 and 341 being the only express services during peak hour Chermside-Innercity busway.

somebody

BCC need to discover the phrase "express stop" and print them on EVERY white stop.  There is no reason to have colour codes which are never explained to the general public.  Only really insiders/observers understand.

Also, there should be a list of routes serving the stop and where they go.  Some stops have something like this e.g. Taringa GCL I/B but I find it not nearly as prominent or obvious as STA's effort. 

STA also are aware of the "Express stop" phrase in spite of having far fewer full time express routes than Brisbane.

HappyTrainGuy

FYI Simon, stops along Gympie Road aren't all colour coded which add even more confusion to those that are up to date with them. For example the 333/340 buz stop outside the Toyota dealership has the standard translink shelter with the white frame timing display and blue face stop board similar to what you find at interchanges. The next stop along outside Hungry Jacks/KFC is the exact same with the translink shelter, white timing display and a blue face stop board but the 333/340 buz bypass it.

Gazza

And it's not even consistent across Brisbane, the 100 serves yellow stops at the start of the route, then white only for the rest, though I guess the BUZ flag helps.

I reckon its stupid how northern Busway routes skip the Truro St stops. It's a really well built stop, good visual safety, a good distance away from Lutwyche Station, with good accessibility via ramps, and nice shelters...Overall a facility that could attract patronage. It's also got a lot of apartments around it.

Yet most buses sail past, and at some times of the weekend/evening it only sees a service once every half hour

*Disclaimer, for this semester, we may or may not be doing analysis and architectural projects in the Lutwyche area ;)

HappyTrainGuy

One downside Gazza would be more people pressing the ped crossing button delaying buses even futher 40m before the next set of lights  :-r :-r

Actually. The outbound stop. Its only serviced by those couple Stafford routes aren't they? I sware I remember seeing smashed concret blocks on the northern exit part that prevented buses from using that exit.

SurfRail

Cr Johnston is a troll.  The kind who hides under bridges.  Seriously.

What a petty, pathetic, immature, infantile reaction from somebody who has made histrionics a profession.

These are the loons Emmo has left in charge of Brisbane's bus network.

It'd be hysterical if it wasn't so sad.
Ride the G:

Gazza

^I think I feel an email to a councillor coming on  :P

#Metro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrionic_personality_disorder

I think a MR is in order. RAILBOT actually lobbied for the BUZification of the 196 to her area. What has the Cr done for PT? Nothing it seems. We've done more than she has.

Also, Cr Johnston is on the public and active transport committee... go figure. Wonder what textbook she's using to plan the PT network... oh, the how-to-launch-my-next-election-campaign-by-scaring-the-residents-handbook one... the same one Cr Milton Dick is using.

#Metro

Quote^I think I feel an email to a councillor coming on

I love your e-mail exchanges :) Blog fodder I reckon...

#Metro

Gazza, some reading material for you ---> http://www.nicolejohnston.com.au/localarea/Translink%20bus%20REVIEW.html

Despite all the framing and deliberate hysteria... Auckland, which is not LNP run, ran an identical review, at the same time, and came to identical conclusions....

#Metro

Cr Nicole Johnston http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/noisy-cyclists-bragging-about-bedroom-antics-drive-southside-residents-to-petition-for-keep-quiet-signs/story-fncyva0b-1226621073134

Now it's cyclists. Seriously, how do people hear entire conversations full length when someone riding past their house is such a brief thing?

🡱 🡳