• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Well, what a classic demonstration of Queensland politics was that debate.

No one on the Labour/Independent side indicated they had any idea of what the bus review was actually doing.  It was essentially just bleats about routes that have been cut, nothing that in most cases there is coverage for those changes and the gains.

Bit more of an understanding from the LNP, but again not real concise clear reasoning.

They really need to get out a summary of the proposed changes and benefits.  Obviously the report as such is too much for many.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

Quote from: Gazza on March 19, 2013, 17:58:09 PM
Don't cut the 180 ? ? ? ? ? ?
http://www.change.org/petitions/translink-queensland-and-queensland-state-government-don-t-cut-the-180-bus-route

WTF, the new routes replace it entirely, and are much better.

Can they not read a map and see how the new routes work?

:frs:
I was going to say that the evening (and before 7am) services might be getting cut, but the petition talks about getting to/from school!

newbris

Quote from: Simon on March 19, 2013, 08:06:45 AM
Quote·         Restoring peak express services on route 444 between Moggill and Brisbane CBD
Do they mean 443?  Or is the 444 staying but just at peak time - that wouldn't be smart.

Quote from: SurfRail on March 19, 2013, 06:15:42 AM
Route 381 I don't understand at all, the rest are reasonable.
It's probably to get the 385 back on Coopers Camp Rd, something which I endorse.

Why not 380 or 379?  Probably to keep the single route for a single road aficionados happy.

You might be right and it is all obviously speculation on my part but I think it is more likely they have just decided the F6 will split at the end to send 1/3 of the F6 buses to cover the old 381 route. With the glider covering Latrobe and the S100 and two peak services covering Coopers Camp and no mention of the 379/380 I doubt the 385 is being switched back. With the transit lanes on waterworks and the F6 turning 'right' at the bottom of Countess St and the right again onto the busway rather than left onto Roma the route time should be ok.

If they switched the 385 back to Latrobe they would need far more than the 381 route to cover waterworks and they wouldn't make the 381 high frequency in itself as it wanders The Gap back roads.

somebody

No reason to mess with the inner part of Waterworks Rd if you ask me.  Unless the 385 is to handle the Settlement Rd loop.

ozbob

Hmm ...

========================

Twitter

58s Jarrett Walker Jarrett Walker ‏@humantransit

Auckland is brewing terrific things in public transport, and I'm so honored to have a role. An exciting time for NZ's beautiful world city.

newbris

Quote from: Simon on March 19, 2013, 19:40:23 PM
No reason to mess with the inner part of Waterworks Rd if you ask me.  Unless the 385 is to handle the Settlement Rd loop.

I guess the 385 is just becoming the F6 and providing the frequent trunk service for the whole of waterworks and leaving Latrobe to the glider frequent service. Many of the current 380/381 buses can then be cut and used elsewhere in brisbane and the 379 buses can be used for the S100. The F6 might just cover off the Payne Rd part of the old 381 route.

#Metro

http://www.bookmasque.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Noahs-Ark-Hi-res2.jpg

^Brisbane bus routes, and each route's duplicate...
Your guess who the guy on the boat is...

SAVE PARIS HILTON ROCKET 161!! WITHOUT IT I WILL HAVE TO BOOK MY OWN LIMOSINE!!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

Feedback I sent to TL

Dear TransLink

I am a member of Rail Back on Track. The following link contains my complex feedback for the purposes of the bus review.
I hereby submit my feedback to TransLink. http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9733.0

Some notes - the review performed by TransLink is excellent.

With regards to particular routes, some things to highlight:

411 UQ via Hawken Drive - The frequency could be doubled on this route to Frequent Network standard by simply truncating the route at Toowong. This doubling of frequency would come at virtually zero cost. Once waiting times are taken into account, the journey with a connection is about the same, except for Toowong bound passengers, who save 15 minutes. 412 and 402 passengers already transfer at this location, so there is already a precedent for this.

416 - Truncate this route to Toowong rail station. The residents of West Toowong are special, but they aren't so special that their bus should fly past the Toowong Train station which everyone else transfers to from 402, 412 etc.

172 Greenslopes Hospital - There is no need for this bus to go all the way to the CBD when there is a $550 million dollar busway up the road that
it could connect to. Truncate this route.

192 Highgate Hill - Truncate this route and run between West End Ferry and UQ

198 - Cut this route. Cityglider is far superior. Duplicated on all sides. Get Minister Emerson to ride this bus service to see what a torture device it is.

Also, please open a YouTube channel and start communicating with you customers through that and Facebook. Other transit agencies overseas do this, the bus review has been a PR disaster for TransLink.

Regards.
TramTrain
Rail Back on Track Forum Member
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

20th March 2013

Re: Feedback delivering a better bus network

Greetings,

Yesterday in Queensland Parliament a motion was put by the Member for South Brisbane concerning public transport -  http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2013/2013_03_19_DAILY.pdf page 707

Those interested in these matters no doubt followed the debate keenly.  What was very clear was that very few had any idea what the bus review was actually about.  Simply whining about 'cut bus routes' does not actually sit with the purpose of the review.  In most cases, the so called bus cuts, have been replaced by improved services and alteration in coverage.  In some cases further adjustments to the plan is needed.

Brisbane's bus system is a hopeless mish-mash of confusion, inefficiency and 'air parcels'.  Largely operated in competition with other modes it is evolved into one of the worst performing bus systems in the western world.  The data is clearly outlined in the TransLink Bus Review documentation.  Have any of the Members read it?  Have the BCC Councillors actually read it?  It would appear not.  [ http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review ]

It is important for the future of the public transport network that the proposed changes, informed by best practise principles in public transport planning, supported by the patronage data, and supported by public feedback occur.  Political interference in this process will ultimately be very costly for the community as transport failure ensues.

The end result of political incompetence will be chronic congestion, continuing  and worsening high cost fares,  bus mediocrity, and a rail system headed to chronic failure.

Please take the time to read the documentation that is available concerning the Bus Review.  Analyse the route changes and then you might begin to understand why this process is the best thing to happen to public transport in SEQ since the introduction of integrated ticketing in 2004.

TransLink and Government need to explain to the public what is really going on, free from the ' bus cut ' hysteria.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 05:50:03 AM
Sent to all outlets:

19th March 2013

Greetings,

Well done on announcing some modifications to the proposed bus changes. As we have suggested from the outset important to give feedback either via the web [ http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review ] or telephone 131230.

More needs to be done however to explain the major benefits of the clean slate for the bus network [ see http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9740.0 ].  The proposed bus changes will transform our public transport network and position it properly for future efficient growth.  It will properly support rail which is where our untapped bulk capacity waits.  We are moving from the old outdated direct service model to a properly connected network with more frequent services at long last.

The bus review is the best thing to happen to public transport in SEQ since the introduction of integrated ticketing in 2004!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 05:35:42 AM
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson

Feedback delivering a better bus network

Public feedback is building Brisbane a better transport network with the Newman Government delivering on the first round of passenger comments from the Bus Network Review.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said six changes to improve the recommendations had already been identified during the first week of feedback.

"This is a genuine feedback process and the first 5000 submissions are already informing the final shape of the network," Mr Emerson said.

"We will continue to act on areas that we think are obvious omissions to give people certainty.

"Last week I asked TransLink's planners to look at how they can ensure they retain bus access to Greenslopes Hospital."

Mr Emerson said other changes in response to public feedback included:

·         Restoring peak express services on route 444 between Moggill and Brisbane CBD

·         Retaining the current route 411

·         A new service connecting Dornoch Tce, West End with the PA hospital.

·         Retaining the current route 381

·         Restoring connection to west Toowong previously serviced by routes 416 and 470.

"Overall our plan to increase the number of high-frequency services from 19 to 26 has received a lot of support," he said.

"It's also important that we listen to the community to meet its needs as part of the less-frequent secondary network."

The Bus Network Review recommended increasing the number of high-frequency routes, bringing Brisbane's network into line with leading world cities.

The review of south east Queensland's bus services was ordered by Mr Emerson last year after figures showed patronage dropping on 13 of 16 south east Queensland operators, as well as rising costs, which were being paid for by Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare hikes.

Under the distinctive looking GoNetwork the Newman Government will be delivering high-frequency bus services to more than 800,000 people in Brisbane and also to the Gold Coast for the first time.

Submissions can be made online at www.translink.com.au or by phoning 13 12 30 until April 7.

[ENDS] 19 March 2013

ozbob

#Metro

Quotecalls on the LNP government to release details of the secret Costello report relating to the possible privatisation of bus
services.

It is quite clear that Ms Trad, has no idea of what she is talking about. ALL BUS SERVICES IN QUEENSLAND, with the sole exception of Brisbane Transport, which is owned by BCC, ARE ALREADY PRIVATE.

QuoteThey have forgotten that public transport is a service
designed and operated to connect people to the economy, to connect people to services, to connect
people to their communities.

Key words here is "Designed to connect PEOPLE", not air Ms Trad!!

QuoteThe minister failed to be upfront with commuters in all his commentary about  establishing the review. The minister never mentioned his overarching ambition to slash local  community bus routes in favour of peak-hour transit alone.

Ms Trad,  it is clear you have no idea about whole-of-day high frequency. This review is NOT about the peak hour, but ALL DAY USEFUL ROUTES that 99% of the population who are not pensioners can actually use!!

QuoteThe truth is that this review was never about creating an effective bus network that served
Queenslanders; it was about running down our transport system to sell it off to the highest bidder.
Until we see the full recommendations of the Costello review, commuters will be left in the dark about
this government's ultimate privatisation agenda for our bus network.

Ms Trad, the bus network is ALREADY PRIVATE, with the exception of BT, which isn't even owned by the State!! And I think most people would want to see it removed from BCC control given the absolute waste the network is in now with the highest fares, highest subsidies, inefficiencies galore (think: Paris Hilton Rocket 161).

QuoteBut the opposition to bus cuts is not some orchestrated Labor
campaign. No, the opposition to the plan has mostly been born by spontaneous community action.

Oh please, there is a co-ordinated ALP campaign, top to bottom on this, right down to all the lines each and every politician at state, federal and local level. It is not an accident that all three said the words "people be before profit" and my reply to that is "sensationalism before sense". The petition even has ALP logo on it.

QuoteTangara—an aged care residence in my electorate—started its own petition, with all 76
residents signing the petition against the removal of the 198 and the 192 routes. In fact, access to
public transport that provides a direct route to the PA Hospital and the Mater Hospital is a key feature
for occupation at Tangara

Tangara is at 35 Sussex Street West End, which is just 350m to the nearest bus stop on Vuture street with access to the 199 BUZ which runs every 15 minutes or better from 6 am - 11.30 pm all week. Passengers for the Mater Hospital catch 199 and then get off at Mater Hill where there is a fully DDA compliant busway. Change to a 109 at cultural centre and you'll be at the DDA compliant brand new PA Hospital Busway station. The current 198 on the wrong side of the PA is a pole in the ground on a slope IIRC.

There has been no consultation. He has not
even bothered to come out and explain this to anyone in the local area. This will mean that there is no
high-frequency transport option from Inala and Forest Lake into the city.

Wrong! The route is still there at lower frequency, a NEW route will be introduced which will be high frequency to replace it. I have to run the numbers on the new route.

QuoteIn conclusion, TransLink is no longer a statutory authority. It was this minister who said
TransLink is now coming under the control of the minister and the department. This means the buck
stops with the minister. This means that the minister is responsible. Stop blaming TransLink, stop
blaming the staff at TransLink. The minister is backflipping. He does not understand what he is doing.
There will be a lot of protests and out in my community the first one starts this Saturday

This is actually true. Simply blaming TransLink means that ... he's blaming himself really.

"Finally, I refer to the ridiculous comments from the member for South Brisbane, who said that
we are going to privatise the bus system; that we are going to sell it off. That shows how little she
understands about public transport. Obviously, she does not understand our bus system. We do not
own the bus system, we do not own the buses and we do not employ the drivers. They are
contracted.
The buses are owned by groups such as the Logan City Bus Service, Kangaroo Bus
Lines and Brisbane Transport, which is owned by the Brisbane City Council. The state government
does not own the bus service. There is nothing to privatise, because we do not own this system. That
was the hysterical rantings of the member for South Brisbane, who has no understanding of public
transport. Labor's sole policy"

Thank heavens, finally some damn sense.

#Metro

QuoteWhilst talking about the ALP, let us contrast our consultation with the Labor Party's consultation
on asset sales, cutting the fuel excise, increasing public transport costs by 15 per cent year on year
on year. Let us continue talking about the Labor Party. Let us not forget the City South News story of
28 February. To remind the House of that, the opposition's transport spokesperson was out there with
a concerned bus user criticising the government's plans to build a better bus network. But alas, the
concerned bus user was actually the president of a local ALP branch.

Dirty...

QuoteWe do not, on this side, endorse the changes that are proposed and we never will. We will always put the people of this city
first.
Brisbane City Council and it's direct taxi service and in some cases, direct limosine ideology will not accept until the day comes that they are asked to pay increasing amounts to carry the same people and also pay for the bus tunnel in the CBD needed to overcome the congestion that is inherent in a direct to the CBD bus model.

Quotes important. However, being a good government is also about fulfilling social
responsibilities and ensuring environmental sustainability. It

No. Coverage routes are some of the most environmentally damaging services and are equal to or worse than car when it comes to carbon dioxide emission simply because the route is so indirect and the loading on the bus is so bad.

QuoteForty-nine per cent of
existing routes carry, on average, passenger loads of seven people or fewer. Just 14 per cent of total
routes carry 57 per cent of passengers. Two-thirds of existing routes shared greater than 70 per cent
of stops with other routes. Service costs were increasing, with Brisbane's operating costs up by
35½ per cent with only a 2.9 per cent increase in passengers between 2009-10 and 2011-12. There
are infrastructure constraints, with over 600 buses entering the CBD in 2011, and this current rate of
operational projection will have over 1,070 coming into the CBD in 2021.

Thanks Mr Minnikin. They should rename the bus network to 'air parcel freight service'.
In fact we should stop calling it a bus network, and properly refer it to what it actually is: "Air Parcel Freight Network Review".

QuoteSouth-East Queensland has approximately 3.1 million people serviced by 446 bus routes. Yet
the greater Melbourne area, which has a similar land area, has a population of 4.17 million people
serviced by only 346 routes.
So, Brisbane has more buses than Melbourne OR Toronto!!

somebody

The ALP really doesn't have a leg to stand on here IMO.  They tolerated BT's incompetence for all that time, and did little.

SurfRail

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 16:32:08 PM
Kind of ironical and comical that those who created the mess want to fight to retain it ... and actually condemning their constituency to more transport pain, escalating fares, and failure ...

Please tell me nobody from here is going to dignify this or anything like it with their presence.
Ride the G:

HappyTrainGuy

I'm rallying for the changes so I can get a decent service for once... well... hopefully  :-r Would have been nice to see the Frequent route extended a little to Strathpine but ah well.

ozbob

From the Couriermail Quest click here!

University could be looking at more students if effective public transport is available

QuoteUniversity could be looking at more students if effective public transport is available

by: Douglas Estwic, Springfield News
    March 19, 2013 9:18AM

An effective bus service combined with the opening of the Darra to Springfield rail line may increase the number of students at the University of Southern Queensland's Springfield campus.

USQ director Doug Fraser said the key to maximising the benefits of the rail project for the university was the alignment of bus and train services coming from the Centenary suburbs.

"When it comes to buses, we run two of our own in areas that just don't get well serviced - in Beaudesert and also from the Centenary suburbs," Mr Fraser said.

"If there is an improvement on bus services in the Centenary suburbs, particularly ending up at Darra train station, then we would no longer need to sponsor that bus as people would be able to get a bus and a train into the campus quite easily.

"We would expect to see a net increase of students as a result of the Springfield train station opening."

Transport advocacy group Rail Back on Track believes the proposed changes in TransLink's bus review would benefit future Centenary commuters travelling to Springfield.

"TransLink proposed a high frequency bus route (25) running from Mt Ommaney linking into Darra and Oxley rail stations and also going on to Inala and Forest Lake," spokesman Robert Dow said.

"That's actually a very good bus route. At Darra, you just get the new train into Springfield."

ozbob

From the South West News 20th March 2013 page one

Articles page 3

Gazza

Quote from: Simon on March 20, 2013, 08:40:37 AM
The ALP really doesn't h ve a leg to stand on here IMO.  They tolerated BT's incompetence for all that time, and did little.
Bit of an own goal from Cr Milton Dick...Saying the trains are overcrowded,  meanwhile this is Ms Palaszczuks electorate and she was transport minister.

So why are the trains overcrowded  ::)

ozbob

Plenty of room on the trains ... one of the few successes on the rail network is the Ippy peak timetable, and heaps of room outside of peak ...

The high frequency bus will connect at Darra and Oxley, take your pick ...

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 09:57:14 AM
From the South West News 20th March 2013 page one

Articles page 3

Nice work Gazza.  Sherwood Road certainly warrants a regular service ...   :-t

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 09:44:09 AM
From the Couriermail Quest click here!

University could be looking at more students if effective public transport is available

QuoteUniversity could be looking at more students if effective public transport is available

by: Douglas Estwic, Springfield News
    March 19, 2013 9:18AM

An effective bus service combined with the opening of the Darra to Springfield rail line may increase the number of students at the University of Southern Queensland's Springfield campus.

USQ director Doug Fraser said the key to maximising the benefits of the rail project for the university was the alignment of bus and train services coming from the Centenary suburbs.

"When it comes to buses, we run two of our own in areas that just don't get well serviced - in Beaudesert and also from the Centenary suburbs," Mr Fraser said.

"If there is an improvement on bus services in the Centenary suburbs, particularly ending up at Darra train station, then we would no longer need to sponsor that bus as people would be able to get a bus and a train into the campus quite easily.

"We would expect to see a net increase of students as a result of the Springfield train station opening."

Transport advocacy group Rail Back on Track believes the proposed changes in TransLink's bus review would benefit future Centenary commuters travelling to Springfield.

"TransLink proposed a high frequency bus route (25) running from Mt Ommaney linking into Darra and Oxley rail stations and also going on to Inala and Forest Lake," spokesman Robert Dow said.

"That's actually a very good bus route. At Darra, you just get the new train into Springfield."

Well done Springfield News, a positive bus review outcome!  And there is overwhelming a lot more once people get past the " OMG, they cut my bus ... "

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 19:11:28 PM
I forced myself to read the debate in Hansard.  It wasn't easy to press through.  I might have saved the effort.

Set in train

Whilst making lunch, watched 120 go inbound at 12:03 and around 12:20pm, in excess of 7 people, the last one probably 15 people at least on it. Why this service would be cut is beyond me.

Shall report tonight if I see any late night buses, usually a good number on them too.

ozbob

Quote from: Simon on March 20, 2013, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 19:11:28 PM
I forced myself to read the debate in Hansard.  It wasn't easy to press through.  I might have saved the effort.

Generally uninspiring to say the least ... 

ozbob

Quote from: Set in train on March 20, 2013, 13:30:41 PM
Whilst making lunch, watched 120 go inbound at 12:03 and around 12:20pm, in excess of 7 people, the last one probably 15 people at least on it. Why this service would be cut is beyond me.

Shall report tonight if I see any late night buses, usually a good number on them too.

Depends where the pax got on ( and are getting off ).  The planners do have the go card data and are aware where the pax loads actually are to and from.  I think this point is being missed by many.  The changed arrangements for the 120 may actually be a very positive gain.  Pity they don't show this sort of data.

I would also like to see full network coverage maps, before and after the changes ...

HappyTrainGuy

After having waited god knows how long for the 330 in peak hour this little combo came along all nose to tail occupying any free space with people now walking everywhere trying to find their bus. 330, 340 and maybe a 334/354 IIRC. The same was repeated minutes later with a 335, 340, a GCL bus and eventually the 330 queuing.

Hurry up and bring on this new network to get rid of all this waste and duplication!

techblitz

Quote from: BrizCommuter on March 20, 2013, 20:44:11 PM
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/seq-bus-network-review-gets-messy.html
BrizCommuter's word on the increasingly messy SEQ bus network review.

your stating that the 180 is semi frequent?

i consider it a full frequent service just like the other 17 buz routes currently running  :-c

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 13:44:28 PM
Depends where the pax got on ( and are getting off ).  The planners do have the go card data and are aware where the pax loads actually are to and from.  I think this point is being missed by many.  The changed arrangements for the 120 may actually be a very positive gain.  Pity they don't show this sort of data.

I would also like to see full network coverage maps, before and after the changes ...

All valid points Bob. The suburb is nevertheless upset at losing a first class bus service.

I would like to see the changed arrangements too before I get too upset myself.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

21st March 2013

General Bus Network Collapse Becoming Regular

Greetings

Last night the bus network collapsed again, citywide 30 -60 minute or longer delays. The reason? Traffic and bus congestion, which is something that happens in any city over 1 million.

If the connections based network were operating today as proposed in the bus review, most people in the West would be on express trains out of the city - completely free from traffic congestion, and which take just 8 minutes to get to Indooroopilly. Bus passengers experienced 30 to 60  minute delays or longer on top of their 25 minute commute. Total travel time up to two hours! Walking a few meters from bus to train when making connections seems like small change.

Auckland Transport, NZ is performing an identical bus review at the same time as Brisbane. Both TransLink and Auckland Transport have reached near identical conclusions and recommendations: Redeploy service, make the system simpler and create a frequent network.

Failure to move forward with the bus review and get the public engagement right will threaten the Brisbane's future liveability, lifestyle and economic competitiveness.

We urge the Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk, and his Brisbane City Council colleagues to reconsider very carefully their opposition to walking and connections that have been successfully carried out and operated in cities such as Toronto, Canada and Perth, WA.

It is time the benefits of the changes were properly explained so that even politicians can understand what is happening and why the changes  are necessary.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

List of Routes Affected - TransLink

Delays - Coronation Drive, Pac Motorway  http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/details/1363761398

Last updated: 4.36pm Wednesday 20 March 2013

Buses travelling in both directions along Coronation Drive and the Pacific Motorway can expect delays of up to 30 minutes, due to heavy traffic conditions.

Affected services:

66 77 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 130 131 132 134 135 136 138 139 140 145 150 152 153 155 156 160 161 162 169 170 171 172 174 175 177 178 180 181 183 184 185 186 191 192 193 195 196 198 199 200 202 203 204 209 210 212 214 215 220 222 223 224 225 227 230 232 233 234 235 256 258 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 310 311 312 313 314 315 320 321 322 325 326 327 328 329 330 333 334 335 336 337 338 340 345 346 350 351 352 353 354 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 367 369 370 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 385 390 391 393 396 397 398 399 402 411 412 414 415 416 417 425 427 428 430 431 432 433 435 436 444 445 446 450 451 452 453 454 460 462 465 466 467 468 470 471 475 476 598 599 623 923 Brisbane Transport school bus CityGlider Loop (Brisbane City) Loop (Spring Hill) Maroon CityGlider N100 N111 N130 N184 N199 N200 N226 N310 N339 N385 N390 N412 N464 P88 P119 P129 P133 P137 P141 P142 P151 P157 P173 P176 P179 P189 P201 P206 P207 P208 P211 P216 P221 P231 P236 P331 P332 P339 P341 P343 P344 P356 P374 P384 P426 P443 P455 P456 P457 P458 P459 P461

Worsened ...

Twitter  6:04 PM - 20 Mar 13

TransLink SEQ ‏@TransLinkSEQ 9h

Delays up to 60mins for services via City, Coro Drive, Pac M-way due to heavy traffic conditions. Updates: http://bit.ly/XYpgad

References:

1. Delays - Coronation Drive, Pac Motorway
http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2695.msg122333#msg122333

2. Auckland Bus Review, Auckland Transport
http://www.aucklandtransport.govt.nz/improving-transport/plans-proposals/IntegratedTravel/Pages/regional-public-transport-plan-2012.aspx

3. Draft Auckland Regional Public Transport Plan
http://www.aucklandtransport.govt.nz/improving-transport/plans-proposals/IntegratedTravel/Documents/rptp/RPTP-full-update.pdf

4. Bus Review: Western suburbs' commutes faster with connection http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9714.0

5. "Transferring" can be good for you, and good for your city
http://www.humantransit.org/2009/04/why-transferring-is-good-for-you-and-good-for-your-city.html

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 03:24:34 AM
Sent to all outlets:

20th March 2013

Greetings,

Yesterday in Queensland Parliament a motion was put by the Member for South Brisbane concerning public transport -  http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2013/2013_03_19_DAILY.pdf page 707

Those interested in these matters no doubt followed the debate keenly.  What was very clear was that very few had any idea what the bus review was actually about.  Simply whining about 'cut bus routes' does not actually sit with the purpose of the review.  In most cases, the so called bus cuts, have been replaced by improved services and alteration in coverage.  In some cases further adjustments to the plan is needed.

Brisbane's bus system is a hopeless mish-mash of confusion, inefficiency and 'air parcels'.  Largely operated in competition with other modes it is evolved into one of the worst performing bus systems in the western world.  The data is clearly outlined in the TransLink Bus Review documentation.  Have any of the Members read it?  Have the BCC Councillors actually read it?  It would appear not.  [ http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review ]

It is important for the future of the public transport network that the proposed changes, informed by best practise principles in public transport planning, supported by the patronage data, and supported by public feedback occur.  Political interference in this process will ultimately be very costly for the community as transport failure ensues.

The end result of political incompetence will be chronic congestion, continuing  and worsening high cost fares,  bus mediocrity, and a rail system headed to chronic failure.

Please take the time to read the documentation that is available concerning the Bus Review.  Analyse the route changes and then you might begin to understand why this process is the best thing to happen to public transport in SEQ since the introduction of integrated ticketing in 2004.

TransLink and Government need to explain to the public what is really going on, free from the ' bus cut ' hysteria.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Sent to all outlets:

19th March 2013

Greetings,

Well done on announcing some modifications to the proposed bus changes. As we have suggested from the outset important to give feedback either via the web [ http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review ] or telephone 131230.

More needs to be done however to explain the major benefits of the clean slate for the bus network [ see http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9740.0 ].  The proposed bus changes will transform our public transport network and position it properly for future efficient growth.  It will properly support rail which is where our untapped bulk capacity waits.  We are moving from the old outdated direct service model to a properly connected network with more frequent services at long last.

The bus review is the best thing to happen to public transport in SEQ since the introduction of integrated ticketing in 2004!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Public feedback is building Brisbane a better transport network with the Newman Government delivering on the first round of passenger comments from the Bus Network Review.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said six changes to improve the recommendations had already been identified during the first week of feedback.

"This is a genuine feedback process and the first 5000 submissions are already informing the final shape of the network," Mr Emerson said.

"We will continue to act on areas that we think are obvious omissions to give people certainty.

"Last week I asked TransLink's planners to look at how they can ensure they retain bus access to Greenslopes Hospital."

·         Restoring peak express services on route 444 between Moggill and Brisbane CBD

·         Restoring connection to west Toowong previously serviced by routes 416 and 470.

"Overall our plan to increase the number of high-frequency services from 19 to 26 has received a lot of support," he said.

"It's also important that we listen to the community to meet its needs as part of the less-frequent secondary network."

The Bus Network Review recommended increasing the number of high-frequency routes, bringing Brisbane's network into line with leading world cities.

The review of south east Queensland's bus services was ordered by Mr Emerson last year after figures showed patronage dropping on 13 of 16 south east Queensland operators, as well as rising costs, which were being paid for by Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare hikes.

Under the distinctive looking GoNetwork the Newman Government will be delivering high-frequency bus services to more than 800,000 people in Brisbane and also to the Gold Coast for the first time.

Submissions can be made online at www.translink.com.au or by phoning 13 12 30 until April 7.

[ENDS] 19 March 2013

ozbob

Letter to the editor Queensland Times 21st March 2013 page 9

Proposed bus changes set to bring major transport benefits

ozbob

Twitter

Robyn Ironside ‏@ironsider 1m

Transport Minister announcing Bris City Council will take charge of changes to bus network. pic.twitter.com/DVUqnlqa0S

===============

Ho humm ...

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 13, 2013, 17:16:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Simon. 

I starting to wonder if the whole exercise (the proposed changes) is a sophisticated game of double bluff?  Ambit plan ....

Every time I think of Sherwood road with all the buses going backwards and forwards to the (new) depot but not a bus for passengers along that corridor I wonder a bit ...

Looks like my fears are confirmed.  Hoping to get some more information on this development ...

ozbob

BCC to decide future bus routes

There will be no changes to bus routes in Brisbane without full support of the Brisbane City Council.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson initiated the bus review in June last year to address fare hikes put in place by the former Labor government.

"Today I have written to Council's Public and Active Transport Committee Chairman Cr Peter Matic indicating that council has until June 1 to finalise the network and build on TransLink's recommendations within Brisbane," Mr Emerson said.

"That means no services in Brisbane will change without agreement from Council but any change cannot increase pressure on fares.

"We need to get fares under control and make sure frequent bus services are being provided to as many passengers as possible. That's always been our priority."

This review was developed after receiving more than 6000 pieces of feedback over the past six months and more recently we have already received almost 10,000 submissions.

Mr Emerson said Brisbane's bus network is facing genuine challenges with passengers paying exorbitant fares, hundreds of people being left at bus stops every day because of full buses, while half of all buses carry less than seven people and no more peak capacity on the South East Busway.

"I always said this would be a genuine community consultation process and we would be listening to passengers," he said.

"I recognise that concerns have been raised by passengers and the Brisbane City Council, therefore final decisions about bus services will be made at a local level, taking on board local issues.

"Brisbane City Council makes a significant contribution to public transport and local councillors know their local bus routes and are best placed to identify the needs of local residents.

"The Newman Government will not accept a return to Labor's 15 per cent annual fare increases so we need to be able to keep fares down by finding savings and delivering more efficient public transport."

The public consultation on the bus network will continue until April 7 with all feedback on Brisbane services being used by the BCC to make a final decision.

[ENDS] 21 March 2013

SurfRail

That's it.

I officially give up.

Brisbane can go rot.
Ride the G:

ozbob

I have already started to lobby for Tennyson rail services ....

Back to a mode specific network, BCC centric with no support for rail I guess ...

SurfRail

I'm lucky enough to live in a city where the local government gets it.    My efforts will increasingly be spent on working out things down here.  Clearly Brisbane is just as arse backwards as it ever was and this review was meant to flush out and shut down all the good ideas.

Convenient place for me to make my money and nothing else...
Ride the G:

Mr X

So wait this whole bus review is dead for Brisbane!?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

21 March 2013

Re: General Bus Network Collapse Becoming Regular

Greetings,

In what can only be described as most retrograde step, the Minister for Transport has announced that BCC will now be responsible for any bus changes in the BCC area.  BCC is the primary reason why the public transport in SEQ is such a mess.  The proposed bus changes were based on sound planning principles and would have positioned Brisbane and SEQ for a much better integrated public transport network.  There were some issues and that would have been addressed.  Sometimes it takes political courage to do the right thing, something lacking in Queensland.  The treatment of TransLink is appalling.   All that is going to happen now is more of the same, with a BCC bus network that ignores rail, runs air around Brisbane, and continues to drive high cost fares.  Bus congestion will continue to worsen, all in all a mess.

What a disaster ...

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

=========================================

BCC to decide future bus routes

There will be no changes to bus routes in Brisbane without full support of the Brisbane City Council.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson initiated the bus review in June last year to address fare hikes put in place by the former Labor government.

"Today I have written to Council's Public and Active Transport Committee Chairman Cr Peter Matic indicating that council has until June 1 to finalise the network and build on TransLink's recommendations within Brisbane," Mr Emerson said.

"That means no services in Brisbane will change without agreement from Council but any change cannot increase pressure on fares.

"We need to get fares under control and make sure frequent bus services are being provided to as many passengers as possible. That's always been our priority."

This review was developed after receiving more than 6000 pieces of feedback over the past six months and more recently we have already received almost 10,000 submissions.

Mr Emerson said Brisbane's bus network is facing genuine challenges with passengers paying exorbitant fares, hundreds of people being left at bus stops every day because of full buses, while half of all buses carry less than seven people and no more peak capacity on the South East Busway.

"I always said this would be a genuine community consultation process and we would be listening to passengers," he said.

"I recognise that concerns have been raised by passengers and the Brisbane City Council, therefore final decisions about bus services will be made at a local level, taking on board local issues.

"Brisbane City Council makes a significant contribution to public transport and local councillors know their local bus routes and are best placed to identify the needs of local residents.

"The Newman Government will not accept a return to Labor's 15 per cent annual fare increases so we need to be able to keep fares down by finding savings and delivering more efficient public transport."

The public consultation on the bus network will continue until April 7 with all feedback on Brisbane services being used by the BCC to make a final decision.

[ENDS] 21 March 2013

Quote from: ozbob on March 21, 2013, 03:30:52 AM
Sent to all outlets:

21st March 2013

General Bus Network Collapse Becoming Regular

Greetings

Last night the bus network collapsed again, citywide 30 -60 minute or longer delays. The reason? Traffic and bus congestion, which is something that happens in any city over 1 million.

If the connections based network were operating today as proposed in the bus review, most people in the West would be on express trains out of the city - completely free from traffic congestion, and which take just 8 minutes to get to Indooroopilly. Bus passengers experienced 30 to 60  minute delays or longer on top of their 25 minute commute. Total travel time up to two hours! Walking a few meters from bus to train when making connections seems like small change.

Auckland Transport, NZ is performing an identical bus review at the same time as Brisbane. Both TransLink and Auckland Transport have reached near identical conclusions and recommendations: Redeploy service, make the system simpler and create a frequent network.

Failure to move forward with the bus review and get the public engagement right will threaten the Brisbane's future liveability, lifestyle and economic competitiveness.

We urge the Lord Mayor, Graham Quirk, and his Brisbane City Council colleagues to reconsider very carefully their opposition to walking and connections that have been successfully carried out and operated in cities such as Toronto, Canada and Perth, WA.

It is time the benefits of the changes were properly explained so that even politicians can understand what is happening and why the changes  are necessary.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

List of Routes Affected - TransLink

Delays - Coronation Drive, Pac Motorway  http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/details/1363761398

Last updated: 4.36pm Wednesday 20 March 2013

Buses travelling in both directions along Coronation Drive and the Pacific Motorway can expect delays of up to 30 minutes, due to heavy traffic conditions.

Affected services:

66 77 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 130 131 132 134 135 136 138 139 140 145 150 152 153 155 156 160 161 162 169 170 171 172 174 175 177 178 180 181 183 184 185 186 191 192 193 195 196 198 199 200 202 203 204 209 210 212 214 215 220 222 223 224 225 227 230 232 233 234 235 256 258 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 310 311 312 313 314 315 320 321 322 325 326 327 328 329 330 333 334 335 336 337 338 340 345 346 350 351 352 353 354 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 367 369 370 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 385 390 391 393 396 397 398 399 402 411 412 414 415 416 417 425 427 428 430 431 432 433 435 436 444 445 446 450 451 452 453 454 460 462 465 466 467 468 470 471 475 476 598 599 623 923 Brisbane Transport school bus CityGlider Loop (Brisbane City) Loop (Spring Hill) Maroon CityGlider N100 N111 N130 N184 N199 N200 N226 N310 N339 N385 N390 N412 N464 P88 P119 P129 P133 P137 P141 P142 P151 P157 P173 P176 P179 P189 P201 P206 P207 P208 P211 P216 P221 P231 P236 P331 P332 P339 P341 P343 P344 P356 P374 P384 P426 P443 P455 P456 P457 P458 P459 P461

Worsened ...

Twitter  6:04 PM - 20 Mar 13

TransLink SEQ ‏@TransLinkSEQ 9h

Delays up to 60mins for services via City, Coro Drive, Pac M-way due to heavy traffic conditions. Updates: http://bit.ly/XYpgad

References:

1. Delays - Coronation Drive, Pac Motorway
http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2695.msg122333#msg122333

2. Auckland Bus Review, Auckland Transport
http://www.aucklandtransport.govt.nz/improving-transport/plans-proposals/IntegratedTravel/Pages/regional-public-transport-plan-2012.aspx

3. Draft Auckland Regional Public Transport Plan
http://www.aucklandtransport.govt.nz/improving-transport/plans-proposals/IntegratedTravel/Documents/rptp/RPTP-full-update.pdf

4. Bus Review: Western suburbs' commutes faster with connection http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9714.0

5. "Transferring" can be good for you, and good for your city
http://www.humantransit.org/2009/04/why-transferring-is-good-for-you-and-good-for-your-city.html

Quote from: ozbob on March 20, 2013, 03:24:34 AM
Sent to all outlets:

20th March 2013

Greetings,

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Sent to all outlets:

19th March 2013

Greetings,

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

[ENDS] 19 March 2013

minbrisbane

Might as well ignore the Brisbane route changes now. 

I cannot believe this!

🡱 🡳