• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Overcrowding Shocker : never in 12 Years ...

Started by Fares_Fair, June 06, 2011, 19:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fares_Fair

:pr

This afternoon at 5:22pm I attempted to board the 5:18pm Roma Street train at Central station. It hails from Richlands.
It was chock full at Roma Street Station and an unbelievably overcrowded train that I have never witnessed anywhere in my 12 years of commuting.
I was shocked.
It was something I have never witnessed in my life.

I expected some overcrowding, and the commuter in todays' Courier-Mail story predicted the same.
Our 6:42am Landsborough service this morning was crowded (20 standing per carriage) - but nothing like the scale of the trip home.

There are 72 seats in the new IMU carriage and I counted approx. 75 standing in our 1 carriage alone.
The adjacent carriages looked just as full (good thing I am tall).
This is an absolute unmitigated disaster for commuters.
Many said they would try another train tomorrow, many said that they would drive.
The train that departed immediately before ours was also packed.
Many are shocked and perplexed at what we had to endure home. This is a disaster.
It made the Bombay Express look positively spacious.

This is a huge blunder somewhere, I cannot understand the sardine can we all endured right up until Caboolture.
I expect there will be about 1 or 2 weeks of sorting out travel routes and times with the changes, but I cannot see that it will change enough to be workable.
Hope I am wrong.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

QuoteIt hails from Richlands.

Yes, I noted that train at Darra on my way home and figured it would be a basket case. Reason being it is picking up the considerable pax load counter peak.  I spoke to ABC News today about the counter peak issues ...

You need to give direct feedback to QR about the issue, they will be keen to hear it and do something about it.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Fares_Fair

Hello Bob,

:-t
I did just that through their customer charter feedback form.
I honestly was shocked.

This is PRIORITY 1 URGENT.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

I have spoken to QR about it.  They are aware of the issue and will be monitoring the service with a view to resolving.  There was a significant pax load that joined the train at Milton.

Stillwater

What are the options for addressing this problem, from an operational viewpoint?

I have a notion that many Sunny Coast commuters bought the spin about 'a better service from 6 June' and decided to try it out.  Some of those may revert to driving.  Others would have had to catch an earlier train to get to work and more would have jumped on the 5.22pm train to get home, to avoid the later Gympie North train.  I would be interested to see what the 5.49pm Brisbane-Gympie North service patronage was today.

Arnz

Thank god I catch the earlier trains those days.  Good luck on the adjustment.

Problem now is scheduling of IMUs if the Richlands leg is to be split.  That could mean replacing the IMU with a EMU/SMU from Mayne if there's no other units available.

Looking at the timetable, that IMU comes from the 3:55pm Bowen Hills-Richlands service (arriving Richlands at 4:33pm).  The train turns back at Richlands for Nambour at 4:48pm

Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Arnz

Speaking of similar situations, one of the Gold Coast afternoon peak trains starts from Shorncliffe. 

I'd be interested to hear the patronage/crowding on that Shorncliffe-Varsity Lakes service.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

BrizCommuter

This is what happens when times are made more "convenient" - everyman and his dog also wants to use the same service!

Options (without stuffing up the service of Caboolture/Petrie commuters):
- Move the Nambour train back to 5:10pm from Central, which would be a Roma St starter. Probably not popular with Sunshine Coast commuters.
- Make the 5:22pm from Central start at Roma St, but would require preceding and following Petrie services to both start from Richlands 12 mins apart (so as maintain counter peak frequencies). May not be too effective at reducing crowding if pax transfer just from preceding train at Roma St.
- Run an extra Nambour train 3 min behind the 5:22pm from Central which would now terminate at Caboolture - there is a 9 min gap after this service (which would also allow an Ekka loop service). ?? could this extra Nambour service overtake the preceding Caboolture train at Narangba so that it can skip Dakabin to Morayfield to save a few mins too.

colinw

So what has happened here?  Demand that was spread over a couple of services has concentrated on one particularly attractive service in the new timetable? Or is it because it starts on the Ipswich line and thus picks up Milton passengers?

Fares_Fair

Yes, here they are...
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

I have tonight forwarded these pictures to the Ministers office, seeking action and a reply.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Golliwog

Now thats pretty damn squished. By which station had the crowd shrunk down a bit?
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Arnz

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 06, 2011, 21:29:41 PM
- Run an extra Nambour train 3 min behind the 5:22pm from Central which would now terminate at Caboolture - there is a 9 min gap after this service (which would also allow an Ekka loop service). ?? could this extra Nambour service overtake the preceding Caboolture train at Narangba so that it can skip Dakabin to Morayfield to save a few mins too.

This slot is already taken by the 5:19pm Petrie all-stoppers.  

What I would suggest is slotting in the Nambour train between the 5:10pm Caboolture express and the 5:19pm Petrie all-stations.  Departing at 5:16pm.  

The Nambour service under the old timetable had a 5:17pm departure time.  So one minute earlier than the old (2009 TT) departure may be a bit of a stretch for a few, though most should still make it.
Roma Street: 5:11
Central arrive: 5:14
Central depart: 5:16
Fortitude Valley: 5:18
Bowen Hills: 5:20
(all stations to Northgate)
Northgate: 5:35
(express to Petrie)
Petrie: 5:51 (could probably be skipped - but added the stop anyway)
(express to Caboolture - switches to bi-drectional track at Narangba and uses Southbound track)
Caboolture arr: 6:05
Caboolture dep: 6:06 (10 mins earlier than current timetabled departure)

The Nambour train under the old timetable used the southbound track from Narangba to Caboolture under bi-di signals and arrived at Caboolture simultaneously with a all-stopper.   There are typically no freights during the afternoon peak that may prevent bi-di running.

If Bi-directional between Narangba and Caboolture can't be used, then all stops from Petrie to Caboolture would get a 6:10pm Caboolture arrival. (6 minutes ahead of current timetabled departure).

Does anybody (in the know) know why bi-directional running is rarely/not used?

Rgds,
Arnz

Stillwater

Wow FF, perhaps tomorrow night hand out a sheet of paper to all those people ABOARD to hold up to the camera.  It should read:

I AM A SUNNY COAST RAIL COMMUTER
AND I VOTE

Maybe time to polish up the protest songs:

BATTLE CRY OF THE (SUNSHINE COAST) COMMUTER(Sung to the tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/h/bhymnotr.htm)

The voice of discontentment,
it comes roaring down the track.
It is honed by broken promises.
We won't be looking back.
We come marching from green  valleys
and from beaches far and wide.
With justice by our side.

We demand an equality
that's given us by birth.
It's for better transport services;
from that we won't divert.
We'll resist the TransLink menace
That's put us on alert.
We won't be crushed to dirt.

Chorus:
Angry, Angry is our war cry
Victory is ours, do or die
From tyranny we expose the lie
This timetable must change

We have seen the vision splendid
Of the city by the sea.
Where the transportation rapidly
Connects you to me.
We will trample any government
That shows its lethargy.
Stamp out this apathy.

The Opposition weakness
It  is there for all to see.
It is all about the empathy
And showing sympathy.
But ask about a policy
And they begin to flee,
Of ideas they are free.

Chorus:
From tyranny we expose the lie

The Sunshine Coast express –
It is a lie, a fallacy.
We're sick of all the promises
That fail delivery.
We will vote for any candidate
That gives a firm decree.
Dual tracks and certainty.

Chorus:
Through tyranny we expose the lie

ozbob

Honestly, that congestion is much the same as what many of us have been putting up with for years.  

Queensland Rail are well aware of this issue and are working to resolve it.    At long last it appears that overloading on the Ipswich line is now under some sort of control, a function of frequency and load sharing. 

Arnz has put the thinking cap on, well done.   This is the way forward.

ozbob

Media release 7 June 2011

SEQ: Major timetable changes phase one, a new beginning

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has congratulated TransLink and Queensland Rail on day one of the new timetable.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The first major structural change in the rail timetables in south-east Queensland was implemented yesterday, 6th the June. Overall feedback and direct observations suggests that the generally the changes went well. On time running for the first day was 92.8%, an excellent result for such a major change (1)."

"There were some minor issues however, for example the 5.20pm service from Central for Nambour was heavily congested.  One of the deficiencies on our rail network at peak is poor counter-peak frequency (2).  This impacted on this particular service however we are aware that Queensland Rail is working to resolve this situation."

"A particular highlight of the new timetable is the new day return rail service to Gympie North (3). RAIL Back On Track members travelled on the first service yesterday, which was widely welcomed by the communities in the Sunshine Coast hinterland."

"Communication of changes, particularly for some of the bus alterations has been late.  We note the the many TransLink and Queensland Rail staff out informing commuters of the rail changes, but improved communication for bus changes needs attention."

"We look forward to the next phase of consultation for the remaining lines!"

References:

1. http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/RailServices/City/Pages/PeakOn-TimeResults.aspx

2. 31 May 2011: SEQ: Counter peak services - the weak link http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=6086.0

3. http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5795.msg58963#msg58963

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

BrizCommuter

Send the photos to the Courier Mail. BrizCommuter did this after the March 2008 FG Line timetable disaster, and the missing service was added to the timetable 2 days later! As myself and Arnz have suggested, there are some fairly easy fixes, just needs a train and crew!

BTW, that train is no busier than the 07:06 from FG which hasn't been fixed for 3 years!
Oh, and people actually fall to their death out of trains in Bombay as they are so full and the doors don't/can't close, so it's not exactly a "Bombay Express"!

brismike

Quote from: Fares_Fair on June 06, 2011, 23:22:32 PM
Yes, here they are...

Interesting pics .. But I have seen worse on the Ipswich Line in the morning and afternoon peak many many times. Probably is one of the reasons I don't catch the train anymore unless it is raining and ride a bike to work.

Regards Mike

ozbob

LOL Mike, Ipswich line veterans are a tough lot ...  little doubt the absolute worse train in terms of overloading was the 15.35 Ipswich from Central on school days.  Has been relieved a bit of late because of Richlands.  Although some of the great days of the 6.42am service from Oxley was impressive as well!  Memories ... anyway ..

The problem with the 5.22pm service is simply the pax boarding at Indooroopilly, Toowong and Milton particularly.  Not sure if they are actually going to the Sunshine Coast.  The basic issue with counter peak frequency again well highlighted.  When they made the change to the draft timetable a soft option was done to simply extend a Richlands starter to Nambour.  Not particularly well thought out.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

This was to be expected.  You can't serve 11 more stations in peak and not expect more passengers.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: brismike on June 07, 2011, 07:13:57 AM
Quote from: Fares_Fair on June 06, 2011, 23:22:32 PM
Yes, here they are...

Interesting pics .. But I have seen worse on the Ipswich Line in the morning and afternoon peak many many times. Probably is one of the reasons I don't catch the train anymore unless it is raining and ride a bike to work.

Regards Mike

I counted 75 commuters standing (I am tall, give or take a few) and each carriage holds 72 seats (counted afterwards).
The 3 carriages I could see were equally as packed.
72 + 75 = 147 per carriage, and assuming the rear 3 carriages were the same.

432 Seats available,
almost 880 passengers aboard.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

We have documented over 1100 pax on 6 car EMUs on the Ippy ...

Hopefully it will be sorted.

The trains are rated for a max pax of around 750, up to 1000 only for short duration (that is their design limit theoretically).

It is interesting in Melbourne, from memory the six car max is 795, and the operator is breached (fined) if that is exceeded.  Remember 5'3 " gauge and larger carriages too.   (I have often wondered though how the operator fesses up that their trains are overloading ... lol). 

So our loading issues are very real indeed.

Fares_Fair

I am providing our RBoT solution to as many media outlets as possible.
I am attributing it to a Rail Back on Track member.

I would like to sincerely extend my thanks to this member (Arnz) for his expertise and assistance in providing solutions for the Sunshine Coast services.
Much appreciate Arnz.
:-t :-t :-t

Kind regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the inbound trains from Virginia run via Northgate #2 while the the outbound trains are using Northgate #4 and Northgate #3?

Zoiks

Should we really have more then 1 person distributing messages to the media?
Not saying this message should go through, it should. But I think it should go to QR first and then the media if we got no response and it should be handled via Bob

ozbob

Quote from: Zoiks on June 07, 2011, 15:09:01 PM
Not saying this message should go through, it should. But I think it should go to QR first and then the media if we got no response and it should be handled via Bob

Zoiks, Fares_Fair is just contacting the media as an individual.  He did contact me and asked if the post by Arnz could be used as example. As it is a public post, it certainly can be used as an example of a solution.

The simple answer for now is to commence the 5.18 Nambour service from Roma St and change the present Richlands train to terminate at Bowen Hills.  I would do that pending other options.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on June 07, 2011, 15:21:44 PM

Zoiks, Fares_Fair is just contacting the media as an individual.  He did contact me and asked if the post by Arnz could be used as example. As it is a public post, it certainly can be used as an example of a solution.

The simple answer for now is to commence the 5.18 Nambour service from Roma St and change the present Richlands train to terminate at Bowen Hills.  I would do that pending other options.
On the 7 News clip, it subtitled "Jeff Adison : RAIL Back on Track".  Seemed like he was representing RailBoT.

I feel that QR would be very resistant to moving the 5:18pm Nambour service.  It would use up slots that they want to keep free to add services later.  I'm very dubious about any claims that there aren't enough rolling stock, because more services were run in the AM.  Thought I'd pre-empt that one.

awotam

"At long last it appears that overloading on the Ipswich line is now under some sort of control, a function of frequency and load sharing."
Not if the 17.13 Central to Richlands is anything to go by  :( At least as badly overcrowded as the pics for the OP's train.

Fares_Fair

Hello Zoiks, and thank you Bob,

I always stress to media that whilst I am a member of Rail Back on Track, I am not a spokesman for RBoT.
They don't always get it right for the screen text and tend to omit the word member which is misleading and it annoys me as it clarifies my position.
I always refer media to Bob where it is appropriate to do so.

I would never presume to speak in place of Robert and my campaign is conducted as an individual.
I am actively engaged in pursuing the duplication issue (partial or otherwise) for the Sunshine Coast line at all levels of Government and as such we tend to coincide on many common points of interest to commuters.

Our goals are the same. Encourage public transport.

@Simon.
I apologise for the misnomer of the 7 news story.
I have done all I can to highlight Arnz's solutions to our problem. I only hope they listen and act quickly.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

I couldn't agree with terminating at Bowen Hills.  It's a real missed opportunity.  But nothing prevents what I was previously mentioning, with the possible exception of the need for the I/B Sunshine Coast train to cross it.  But I am sure something could be worked out.

Really, we need to get to 30 minute frequency in peak on the Sunshine Coast line.  We are a long way from that now.

Zoiks

No problem, I was not accusing you of anything. Just concerned that we would be getting multiple slightly different messages to the media.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Zoiks on June 07, 2011, 15:42:27 PM
No problem, I was not accusing you of anything. Just concerned that we would be getting multiple slightly different messages to the media.

Please Zoiks, no offense was taken or even ever assumed.
Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Quote from: Fares_Fair on June 07, 2011, 15:35:14 PM
@Simon.
I apologise for the misnomer of the 7 news story.
I have done all I can to highlight Arnz's solutions to our problem. I only hope they listen and act quickly.
No worries.  I didn't mean to accuse you of trying to usurp or anything.

But it is an issue.  It may be best to let it slide.  It's up to ozbob really.

ozbob

Quote from: awotam on June 07, 2011, 15:33:16 PM
"At long last it appears that overloading on the Ipswich line is now under some sort of control, a function of frequency and load sharing."
Not if the 17.13 Central to Richlands is anything to go by  :( At least as badly overcrowded as the pics for the OP's train.

I have no doubt the odd train will still have heavy loading, but 'one swallow does not make summer'.  It will settle down, most of the other services have been a lot better balanced, reports and observations. Also there is a daily variation, and as more pax note the changes there will be further changes to travelling habits.  Counts are also being done by QR/TL any consistent issues will be tweaked, they have said as much.

somebody

Quote from: Simon on June 07, 2011, 14:32:17 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the inbound trains from Virginia run via Northgate #2 while the the outbound trains are using Northgate #4 and Northgate #3?
Answer: not without conflicting with middle road trains, which defeats the point.

ozbob

Twitter

AnnastaciaMP
Just at Central Station looking at peak hour loading on the Nambour line.
10 minutes ago

================

QueenslandRail
Good afternoon - watching the performance of our PM peak period, particularly passenger loading. Feedback tweets appreciated
17 minutes ago

ozbob

Twitter

QueenslandRail
For those considering the 5:22pm Central to Caboolture service - there are fewer customers than Monday but following train has seats avail

4 minutes ago

ozbob

Twitter

QueenslandRail
If you are heading to Northgate or Cab. on the 522pm train - the 534pm Caboolture express has seats free. Maybe give it a try tomorrow?
3 minutes ago

===========

LOL  ....  the fix is simple ...

🡱 🡳