• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Flood information - links

Started by ozbob, January 11, 2011, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Good on you TT, the stuff stinks hey ..

There will be some lessons learnt from all of this.  We didn't have the big traffic issues in '74 as less population I suppose ..  I spent some time cleaning up Yeronga, same story this time.

Meanwhile ..

----------------

An important message from Campbell - January 15
What a fantastic turnout by our volunteers today! We were hoping for 6,000 people all day and we had over 11,500 volunteers by midday which was simply brilliant.

Council organised around 90 buses to transport them all day and although there were some initial queues, things went really smoothly.

There were so many of you that towards the end of the day the clean-up outpaced the rate at which the Army and Council could gain access into the worst-affected areas using heavy machinery. The Australian Defence Force had over 800 soldiers on the streets assisting with the clean-up - with 350 of them in the area around Chelmer, Graceville and Dutton Park and another 450 soldiers around Toowong, Paddington, Milton, St Lucia, and Bellbowrie. I can tell you that Council and the flood victims are so very grateful to everyone for donating their time to help get Brisbane back on track.

The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service also had over 360 people in the field with more than 100 trucks to help clear vegetation and pump out water. Their rapid assessment teams were going great guns and had all of their assessments done by noon today.

We will need more help tomorrow however so please you wonderful volunteers make yourselves available from 7am Sunday. Don't forget to arrive with photo ID and the appropriate clothing and equipment at the following locations:

* Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Melaleuca Drive, Boondall
   * Doomben Racecourse, Hampden Street, Ascot
   * MacGregor State High School Assembly Hall, MacGregor (please park at Eight Mile Plains Bus Station, a bus shuttle will transport you to MacGregor State High School)
   * Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens carpark, Toowong

Once you have filled out the necessary paperwork, a bus will shuttle you out to your designated clean-up area.

If you cannot help this weekend but may be able to assist in the future, we would still like to hear from you. I am particularly appealing to members of the community who own a bobcat, dump truck, front-end loader, water tanker or other heavy equipment that can be provided to assist with the clean-up. Please email lordmayor@brisbane.qld.gov.au and you will be contacted and provided with details of how you can best assist.

Campbell Newman
LORD MAYOR
Flood Recovery Update

Roads
I am pleased to report that all major arterial roads have now been re-opened, apart from Coronation Drive which is partially closed outbound pending engineering inspections. If you want to get home quicker please use Milton Road outbound instead of Coronation Drive to improve traffic flow. Street inspections are completed with Council officers having inspected for damage about 1500 streets since the floodwaters dropped.

By this morning over 60 major roads had been re-opened. The big challenge now is the bus way tunnel on Melbourne Street in South Brisbane which has had water pumped out of it but will remain closed until Energex can restore power. Whilst the majority of traffic signals are back working, residents are urged to drive with caution through intersections where traffic signals are obviously still offline.

Waste collection
So far Council has managed to get 160 industrial bins and skips into 42 flood affected areas around Brisbane to collect perishable items. The rubbish is mounting up with 5000 residents using our transfer stations yesterday to dump 2083 tonnes. I expect there will be a lot more once we send in the trucks to remove debris from people's homes.

All other rubbish and debris can be placed on the kerbside and Council will come and collect it as soon as possible. Please be mindful of fire hydrants located on footpaths, do not cover them with rubbish or waste furniture as these hydrants will need to be accessed quickly in the event of a fire.

SCIP bins are also being delivered in areas not affected by flooding, for the people who may have lost power and had fridges and freezers fail as a result. Removing that rotting food is our highest priority.

For those residents that wish to transport their own waste, Council' s tipping stations are open for free from 6am to 9pm each day. A new dumping location has been established on land at the Willawong transfer station because of the rate that dump is filling up.

Here are our dumping locations:

* 1402 Nudgee Road, Nudgee
   * 360 Sherbrook Road, Willawong
   * 101 Upper Kedron Road, Ferny Grove
   * Tilley Road, Chandler (opposite the Sleeman Sports Complex)

Water
We have been advised by the State Government's Queensland Urban Utilities that water in the greater Brisbane area is perfectly safe to drink. However those residents living in non flood affected areas are urged to conserve their own water use as we need to save water for the flood victims to clean their own homes.

QUU has 90 work crews out across Brisbane and 50 people working to get the Oxley water treatment plant going again. Council is giving a $100 rebate to cover the cost of water used by flood victims, which equates to about 50,000 litres of free water per flood-affected household.

The Brisbane River is still a dangerous place to be with 3500 cubic metres of water a second being released from Wivenhoe Dam, and raw sewerage in floodwaters and the river.

SEQ Water needs to lower dam levels to make room for more rain predicted next week and they are doing a good job. So far Somerset Dam, which feeds into Wivenhoe, is down to 129 per cent of its capacity (from 200 per cent) and Wivenhoe is down to 163 per cent of capacity.

Electricity
As floodwaters recede, Energex is working hard to return power to as many homes as possible. Currently there are 250 crews on the ground. Please use caution when hosing down your property to avoid any electrical equipment or appliances and always ensure that your have your property checked by a qualified electrician before using appliances.

Recovery Centres
Recovery Centres have been set up across the city to assist flood affected residents with the processing of Centrelink and State Government payments, as well as onsite banking and counselling services.

The Centres are open from 8:30am and 5pm and are located at:

* QEII Sports Complex Kessels Road, Mt Gravatt
   * RNA Showgrounds Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills
   * Indooroopilly Catholic Church Hall Corner of Ward and Fairley Streets, Indooroopilly
   * Yeronga State School Villa Street, Yeronga
   * St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School Ruthven Street, Corinda
   * East Brisbane Anglican Church 455 Main Street, Kangaroo Point

Jamboree Heights State School 35 Beanland Street, Jamboree Heights will be open from tomorrow Sunday 16th.

Buses
For information on public transport and affected services, please visit the TransLink website at www.translink.com.au or phone 13 12 30.

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

Quote from: Stillwater on January 15, 2011, 15:11:45 PM
Because that is what it takes to recover from the biggest natural disaster in Australia's history.  
Worse than 74?  Only because Brisbane is more populated now.  Looking at it that way means there will be a never ending stream of "worst ever" disasters.

ozbob

The big difference this time was Wivenhoe and its ability to hold some water back.  I fear that if Wivenhoe was not there the peak in Brisbane would have been at least 2 metres higher.  This would have been a lot more devastating than this dire flood.  I shudder to think about it.

I wonder if it is possible to build a mitigation dam on the Bremer river somewhere?  The Bremer contributes a lot of water to the Brisbane River and was a factor this time and particularly in 1974 flood.  It would also help of course to reduce peaks in Ipswich and surrounds.

somebody

Pretty flat ground that the Bremer runs through, but I've wondered about that too.  I'm not a dam engineer of course, but perhaps something further upstream may be doable.  I think one of my managers has had something to do with it in the past, so I'll try and ask the question sometime this week.

Otto

Quote from: ozbob on January 15, 2011, 16:40:08 PM
The big difference this time was Wivenhoe and its ability to hold some water back.  I fear that if Wivenhoe was not there the peak in Brisbane would have been at least 2 metres higher.  This would have been a lot more devastating than this dire flood.  I shudder to think about it.
I certainly agree with this.. If we just considered the Greater Brisbane Area including the adjoining LGAs, then 74 was by far the worse flood in the sheer area that it affected.. In 74, we had catastrophic flooding of the Bremer, Stanley-Brisbane, Pine, Albert and Logan rivers as a result of a cyclonic rain depression following a prolonged period of saturating rain.

Luckily, this time it was just the Bremer and Stanley-Brisbane rivers in flood, but with a much greater volume of water in this system ( compared to 74 ) which thankfully, The Wivenhoe dam has done its job of lessening the devastating force of the advancing tide of water.
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

somebody

So sounds like you are saying that we were quite fortunate in that most of the rain fell on a catchment protected by a large flood mitigation dam.  Poor Ipswich.

ozbob

Yes indeed.  Wyaralong dam reduced the Logan river flooding no doubt.  Moogerah Dam is on Reynolds creek a tributary of the Bremer, it spiked up to 120% but it is not a mitigation dam, assume it just spilled ..

ozbob

Wonder what timetables are in force tomorrow?  Nothing yet ...

A normal bus Sunday timetable won't be cool, I think they should do as the same for today for bus and rail tomorrow.

But run the Great Circle Line bus as well.

The rail timings are very different with the 'Christmas Day' timetable of the last few days compared to a normal Sunday timetable, so some advice for trip planning would be in order.

ozbob

Sent a tweet ..

Robert_Dow

@TransLinkSEQ Is there any information for tomorrows timetables (16th) for bus and rail please? Thanks ..

ozbob

http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1295074673

Nightlink services for Saturday night

NightLink buses (1am-5am) are running tonight except for the N310.

Some routes may divert or miss stops due to flood conditions.

Please note the CityGlider remains suspended and route N310 (Fortitude Valley to Sandgate) will not operate tonight (Saturday, January 15).

TransLink recommends passengers take due care and use caution around public transport stations and stops in these difficult weather conditions.

Thank you for your patience.

ozbob

Twitter

TransLink SEQ

Buses, where available, will run to regular Sat and Sun timetables this weekend. Check your route for info.
2 minutes ago via Mobile Web

somebody

Does that mean KGSBS, QSBS, Cultural Centre, South Bank etc are all open again?

ozbob

Twitter

TransLinkSEQ

Cultural Centre, South Bank, Queen Street, King George Square and Mater Hill busway stations remain closed.
about 2 hours ago via TransLink SEQ

ozbob

Twitter

TransLinkSEQ

Train services continue to run to hourly timetables, for most lines. Check web for details.
2 minutes ago via Mobile Web

ozbob

Then appears normal Sunday bus timetable and the 'Christmas Day' timetable for rail tomorrow ..

--> http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/weather-and-flood-affected-services

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on January 15, 2011, 19:19:28 PM
Twitter

TransLinkSEQ

Cultural Centre, South Bank, Queen Street, King George Square and Mater Hill busway stations remain closed.
about 2 hours ago via TransLink SEQ
Where is the information on where the !@#$ alternative stops are!!!

WTN

According to this: http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1294988994 which I didn't find earlier, seems to imply that buses will run express from Wooloongabba junction to the city, then scattered in Adelaide and Roma Streets, depending on the service. Not having stops relatively close to another, however, is a concern.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on January 15, 2011, 05:57:41 AM
Just noted inbound (down) 6 car EMU service between Darra and Oxley.

Timetables from  this link --> here!
It should be noted when following this link one needs to go to "Train Status" on right hand side and click on line you want information for then look at most recent service changes.  Using the journey planner will give the wrong information.  If you are travelling early in the morning like me then one is best assuming the previous days timetable will be in operation to start of with. It seems to be updated somewhere between 9-10am.

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on January 15, 2011, 16:26:26 PM

Roads
I am pleased to report that all major arterial roads have now been re-opened, apart from Coronation Drive which is partially closed outbound pending engineering inspections. If you want to get home quicker please use Milton Road outbound instead of Coronation Drive to improve traffic flow.
Be aware that milton rd is jam packed and whatever you do don't try to turn out of cribb st onto milton rd unless you have two pre-packed meals with you to eat while waiting. The only wasy you will get out is if some kind person blocks both outbound lanes and lets you out.

ozbob

From the Sunday Mail click here!

Now to rebuild and reconsider

QuoteNow to rebuild and reconsider

* Kelmeny Fraser
    * January 16, 2011 12:00AM

AS BRISBANE embarks on its biggest reconstruction effort in history, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says a review of planning schemes, a program for buying back flood-prone homes and better connected early warning systems are crucial to any inquiry into the flood disaster.

"I am very confident that my administration ... has implemented some measures in the last four years to really tighten up those planning issues," he said.

"I reckon there will be a need in other parts of the state for tightening up as well in the same way Brisbane has."

The Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) Queensland branch has signalled support for a major planning review.

"We do need to sit down very calmly ... and look at what has worked and look at areas where either the science or planning policy has let us down and then put in place strategies to ensure we minimise any destruction or harm in the future," UDIA executive director Bryan Stewart said.

A senior planning source said a wide-ranging review of development restrictions was overdue, saying such destruction in a capital city twice in 40 years was unacceptable.

As well as the thousands of homes flooded in Brisbane and Ipswich, CityCat terminals were swept away, roads torn up and schools destroyed.

Cr Newman said the immediate clean-up would take months, but repairing all flood-ravaged homes and buildings for reoccupation could take up to two years.

He ranked restoring the city's badly damaged CityCat system and major arterial roads as priorities, but warned non-critical works would be on the backburner.

The flood crisis would raid both council and state budgets, delay long-planned construction and force councils to restart some projects.

Newly restored sheds in the Howard Smith Wharves project were swamped and five of Brisbane's CityCat terminals - half of all terminals - were wiped out, with each expected to take up to two years to rebuild.

A total 90,000km of council roadway will need to be fixed across Queensland, including major arterial roads in the southeast corner.

Flood damage has reduced the normally busy Coronation Drive to three lanes amid fears it could partially collapse into the river.

Authorities say repairing roads was the first priority, followed by:

* Restoring government services to the CBD.
    * Repairing flooded nursing homes.
    * Reopening state schools.
    * Fixing bike and pathways as well as children's parks and playgrounds.
    * Rebuilding pontoons and CityCat terminals.

Cr Newman also pledged to rebuild Brisbane's $17 million riverwalk.

"It will happen. We don't know when or how long it is going to take, but we will rebuild that," he said.

Master Builders executive director Graham Cuthbert said 10,000 construction workers were needed.

He said while many buildings would be bulldozed in the Lockyer Valley, Brisbane would fare better.

Most homes in the southeast were expected to be declared structurally safe, but faced serious damage to paint, plasterboard, flooring and cupboards.

A state taskforce will begin assessing buildings by early next week.

Housing and Reconstruction Taskforce boss Mal Grierson said its first job would be restoring Brisbane as the state's nerve centre.

On Friday, eight major government buildings in Brisbane's CBD were still not occupied after the power was cut, with 30,000 Energex customers still without power.

Mr Grierson said he was focused on reopening schools and government buildings, starting with Queensland Health's head office.

Local Government Association of Queensland chief executive Greg Hallam said it was too early to put a cost on the rebuilding.

"This is not a small thing, it is an epic, enormous event. We will have to stop doing some things and focus on the basics for some time," he said.

State Treasurer Andrew Fraser estimated the cost of rebuilding would enter the billions of dollars, which would continue to hit future budgets.

"We can be sure that for the state as a whole this is an effort that will take not months but years," he said.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale vowed the city would fight back, starting with fixing potholes, restoring nursing homes and repairing hard-hit Limestone St.

ozbob

A good sign!  This might have come through from Redbank or possibly Wulkaraka.

Ballast train down between Darra - Oxley as viewed from my back veranda 4.45am this morning.

Photograph R Dow 16th January 2011

8)

ozbob

Joint Statement:

Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Anna Bligh

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
16/01/2011

Rail link and station opening brought forward to help with flood recovery

Queensland's latest piece of transport infrastructure will be opened early to help flood recovery efforts.

Premier Anna Bligh said Ipswich and the western suburbs were some of the worst hit by flooding and opening the new station at Richlands and rail link to Darra would assist recovery efforts.

The Premier said trains would begin running from Richland station tomorrow - one week early - with a link into the city.

"The station is finished and the drivers have been trained," Ms Bligh said.

"Ipswich and the western suburbs were some of the worst hit by flooding this week, and the opening of the new station will help get people on the road to recovery

"As flood waters begin to subside, our focus turns to the mammoth task of rebuilding and recovery.

"That's one of the reasons we're providing free public transport to the residents of South East Queensland and why we're opening this station early.

"Many residents in this area of Brisbane have lost everything and our public transport network is vital in getting them back on their feet again.

"The Ipswich line is the only rail link still not operating fully, with Goodna and Gailes stations badly flooded.

"The early opening of Richlands Station will provide another option for local residents to access the CBD."

The project which includes 4.5 kilometres of new rail line between Darra and Richlands plus the new Richlands station and upgrade to the Centenary Highway has been built at a cost of $800 million.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said the new station included a bus interchange for up to four buses at a time, a park 'n' ride with 650 car parks, secure storage for 88 bicycles and 32 bike racks, 15 kiss 'n' ride bays and three taxi zones.

"I think the 650 car parks are going to be particularly important in helping cut non-essential car travel into the city," Ms Nolan said.

"This link is part of a vital new rail corridor to service one of Brisbane's fastest growing regions and ultimately extend to Springfield by 2013.

"Our priority at the moment is ensuring services are up and running where they are needed most. I'm pleased we were able to open Richlands a week ahead of schedule by reprioritising work using a 24/7 roster.

"We encourage local residents to make use of the station from tomorrow, where it is safe to do so, by driving and parking at the station or taking local bus services from Forest Lakes," she said.

"As a result of the early opening, trains will operate from Richlands on a limited hourly timetable until 24 January when the planned timetable is implemented.

"Opening early means the proposed 24 January timetable is not possible due to traincrew and rollingstock availability. However, in the circumstances we were determined to put this great new asset to use earlier than planned.

"Customers will notice minor works still being completed, including the installation of fare gates and ticket machines, and we ask for patience while the finishing touches are made to this new station."

Member for Inala Annastascia Palaszczuk said the opening of the station and rail link couldn't come at a better time for commuters struggling to get back on their feet.

"Our community has been greatly looking forward to the station opening and residents can now start using this line," she said.

"It's part of a vital new rail corridor that will service one of Brisbane's fastest growing regions and ultimately extend to Springfield by 2013."

Full details of the timetable and connecting services will be available on the TransLink website at www.translink.com.au

Ms Nolan said a community day being planned to mark the Richlands station opening on 23 January would be postponed while the flood recovery effort is underway.

==============================================================

:-t

ozbob

Media Release 16 January 2011

SEQ:  Queensland Rail First Class!  Richlands rail to open early!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport commuters has thanked Queensland Rail, the Queensland Government and TransLink for bringing forward the commencement of regular passenger rail services on the Richland line (1,2).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"Exceptional dire circumstances demand extraordinary actions.  Queensland Rail has stamped itself with class, with the obvious forward thinking  that has gone into the preparation for recovery from the floods. Queensland Rail was able to keep most of the suburban and interurban network operating till the late in the flood development, and was then able to recommence services on most lines as soon as flood peaks passed."

"The suburban/interurban rail network has proved to be very resilient and has continued to provide an important transport communication link independent of the road network. This is not chance and is the result of very careful planning and management."

"The commencement of rail services to and from Richlands tomorrow means passengers will be able to access convenient rail transport more directly from suburbs such as Inala, Ellen Grove, Forest Lake as well as Richlands and Springfield.  Bringing the opening forward just highlights how organised Queensland Rail is to allow this occur, and also for the support from TransLink and the bus operators for the necessary associated bus arrangements."

"Richlands station is a superb railway station and the early commencement of services will be welcomed by the community (3). Thank you!"

References:

1.   http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1295072148

2.   http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5232.0

3.   http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=639.0

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Anna Bligh
16/01/2011

Bligh and Gillard call on Australians to dig deeper for flood relief

Prime Minister Julia Gillard, Premier Anna Bligh and Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan have called on Australians to dig deeper for the relief effort in Queensland.

"The governments that Anna and I lead have both agreed to kick in another $10 million each into the relief fund, to help encourage Australians to give all they can to Queenslanders who are suffering," said Ms Gillard.

"Australians in every corner of our country can be proud of what they've raised for the flood victims so far, but let's try and go that extra mile to give a bit more to those devastated by these floods.

"This is only a small part of the contribution the Australian and Queensland governments will make to helping Queenslanders get back on their feet - but if it encourages others to dig just that little bit deeper then it's crucial."

"I know Australians will do what Australians always do in difficult times - pull together to help each other out."

Ms Bligh thanked Australians for their extraordinary generosity since the Queensland flood crisis began with donations to the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal reaching over $50 million.

"But this disaster has now grown into something absolutely unprecedented in our State and the situation we are facing has more than tripled in size since the appeal began," she said.

"The generosity of Australians has been incredible. I know they have been digging deep, but my message today is, we need you to keep digging.

"We need to kick start again the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal to reflect the new situation we face.

"If you've already donated I'm asking you to think about giving again. And if you've yet to give something please think about making any contribution that you can."

The Prime Minister and Premier said the State and Federal Governments wanted to help drive the appeal with an extra $10 million donation each.

Treasurer Wayne Swan said, "As a Queenslander I'm proud to be able to say both governments have joined forces to put more in the fund as part of our broader efforts to assist the rebuilding of the state".

Premier Bligh said that every penny from the fund would go to flood victims.

"It will help rebuild homes, replace property, and set Queensland families back on their feet," said Ms Bligh.

"Initial estimates show that well in excess of 28,000 properties have been affected by the Queensland floods and, as our wet season continues, more may follow.

"By way of comparison the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund stands at $392 million and the number of properties affected in that terrible disaster was around 3,400.

"The comparison in the number of properties affected gives you a sense of the scale of the task that Queensland families are facing and the wide spread devastation that the State has experienced.

"Thousands of Queenslanders are now re-entering their homes and they are being confronted with scenes of absolute destruction. With your help we can support them now."

The State had already set aside $680 million in this year's budget to cope with natural disasters and the entire recovery effort, including the clean up and repair of crucial infrastructure, will take billions of dollars of State and Federal Government money.

Both Governments are encouraging people donating to the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal to donate online or in person to free up call centre staff and phone lines for emergency calls.

Donations can be made on the Queensland Government website, www.qld.gov.au/floods, and also in person at any Queensland branch of the Bank of Queensland (BoQ), Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, ANZ, NAB, Suncorp, St George Bank, Bank West, Bank SA, Australian Central Credit Union and the Savings and Loans Credit Union.

People can also make donations at Coles Supermarkets and cheques can be made out to the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal.

ozbob

Twitter

TransLinkSEQ

Brisbane bus services normal Sunday timetable. Some diversions around SE busway and West End. Visit http://translink.com.au for more.
39 minutes ago via TransLink SEQ

ozbob

Twitter

TransLinkSEQ

Some bus services still suspended today - CityGlider, CitySights, 88, 105, 116, 197, 198, 417
2 minutes ago via TransLink SEQ

ozbob

Twitter

# TransLinkSEQ

Ipswich line, City to Darra only, then bus to Ipswich (except Goodna). Shuttle buses Ipswich - Rosewood. 529 and 539 RailBuses suspended.
6 minutes ago

# TransLink SEQ

Train services running hourly timetables. Sunshine Coast 2 hourly & Airport 30 min.
9 minutes ago

--> http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/weather-and-flood-affected-services

ozbob

Twitter

TransLinkSEQ

CityCat & CityFerry suspended until further notice. Check http://tinyurl.com/4zr484v for buses/trains which connect with ferry terminals.
6 minutes ago via web

Derwan

Sorry for cross-posting, but I this this deserves a push:

Following David's suggestion and Bob's media release, I have created a page on Facebook to spread the word:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-am-donating-my-saved-public-transport-fares-to-the-flood-relief-appeal/118966161508556
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

ozbob

I have requested advice on the confusion for frequency at Richlands

===========

I have noted that the media release this morning

http://www.translink.com.au/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/media-releases/release/276

QuoteAs a result of the early opening, trains will operate from Richlands on a limited hourly timetable until 24 January when the planned timetable is implemented.

I was under the impression the service frequency for the shuttles will be 15 minutes at peak and 30 minute off peak. See --> http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1295072148

QuoteTrains will run every 15 minutes to and from Richlands station during the morning and afternoon peak period with half hourly services running at all other times.

The media has latched onto the 'limited hourly timetable'  this will dissuade a lot of potential commuters.

ozbob

The intention is run 15 minutes peak 30 minute off peak.  Advice later this afternoon.

somebody

It's only the facebook page which says something different.  I think and hope that will prove incorrect.  An pre-interim timetable wouldn't make much sense.

ozbob

A message from Campbell - January 16

Congratulations to the thousands of volunteers that have donated their time for the flood clean-up. This is the sort of community spirit that sets us apart from the rest of the world and you are the true heroes of this disaster.

As Lord Mayor, I have been truly humbled by the magnitude of compassion and generosity shown by the people of Brisbane. The sheer volume of people really put pressure on our volunteer registration centres so I apologise to everyone for the delays and thank you for your patience.

There will still be a lot more to do in future days and weeks and we will be needing your help again. So if you haven' t already I encourage you to register with Volunteering Queensland by calling 07 3002 7600 or online at www.volunteeringqld.org.au

Campbell Newman
LORD MAYOR
Flood Recovery Update

Roads
The CBD is open for business tomorrow and those heading back to work should consider how they are going to get there. We don't want to see a return to the traffic chaos that occurred on the weekend so we are urging everyone to stagger their commuting times and to use public transport, which is free until Thursday.

Full bus services will resume tomorrow but ferry services will be closed indefinitely. With some traffic lights still down and Coronation reduced to one lane outbound, we want to prepare people to expect delays, particularly on the South East Freeway.

All major arterial roads and river crossings have now been re-opened, except for Coronation Drive which is operating with one lane outbound. Engineers need the river level to drop in order to inspect the riverbank and ensure the road is structural safe for heavy traffic. As for suburban roads, only 18 remain closed due to flooding, which is a stark comparison to the 150 roads closed during the peak of the flood.

With 100 traffic signals still offline due to power issues, this was a big priority for our teams today. Again, we ask residents to drive with caution through intersections where traffic lights are obviously still down. Energex says they are working hard to restore power to the Melbourne Street bus way in time for peak travel tomorrow morning. As that is a dangerous site for pedestrians it must be 100 per cent right before it can be re-opened.

Don't forget Brisbane's toll roads remain free of charge for commuters until midnight tomorrow.

Waste Collection
So far Council has managed to get 172 industrial bins and skips into 58 flood affected suburbs around Brisbane, to collect perishable items. The rubbish is mounting up with 12,500 tonnes dumped in our Rochdale landfill to date, and I expect there will be a lot more.

Rubbish and debris continues to stockpile on footpaths as fast as we can get rid of it, but don't worry for as long as it is there we will keep removing it. Council is appealing to anyone that owns a tipping trunk that could assist with these kerbside collections this week.

For anyone putting rubbish on the kerb, please be mindful of fire hydrants located on footpaths, do not cover them with rubbish or waste furniture as these hydrants will need to be accessed quickly in the event of a fire.

For residents that wish to transport their own waste, Council's tipping stations are open for free from 6am to 9pm each day. A new dumping location has been established on land at the Willawong transfer station because of the rate that dump is filling up.

Here are our dumping locations:

* 1402 Nudgee Road, Nudgee
    * 360 Sherbrook Road, Willawong
    * 101 Upper Kedron Road, Ferny Grove
    * Tilley Road, Chandler (opposite the Sleeman Sports Complex)

Water
I would again like to reassure residents that water in the greater Brisbane area is being tested daily and it is perfectly safe to drink. The request for those residents living in non flood affected areas to conserve their own water use also still stands, we need to conserve water for the flood victims to clean their homes.

Council is giving a $100 rebate to cover the cost of water used by flood victims, which equates to about 50,000 litres of free water per flood-affected household.

Whilst the water levels in the Brisbane River have dropped significantly, it still remains a dangerous place to be with 3500 cubic metres of water a second being released from Wivenhoe Dam, and raw sewerage in floodwaters and the river.

SEQ Water needs to lower dam levels to make room for more rain predicted next week and they are doing a good job. So far Somerset Dam, which feeds into Wivenhoe, is down to 112 per cent of its capacity (from 200 per cent) and Wivenhoe is down to 144 per cent of capacity.

Sewerage
Brisbane still has 49 sewerage pump stations not working, mostly due to a lack of power. There are three waste water treatment plants also not working - at Karana Downs, Oxley and Fairfield - although the Wacol Plant is back on line. Apparently there are 150 people working on the Oxley plant!

Electricity
Today Energex is working to restore power to 11,393 homes in the Brisbane area. Whilst those currently without power may live in an area not directly affected by floodwaters or where floodwaters have now receded, the source of their power is situated in a "wet" flooded area. Therefore Energex cannot again access to restore power to these particular areas.

For those homes which have been fully inundated with water, you will need to have your property checked by a qualified electrician before full power can be restored. Energex tells me their priority is to return power to the CBD, then traffic lights and finally residential areas.

Health Issues
Council will continue to offer free vaccinations to all volunteers returning from the flood clean-up today. Around 14 trained staff, including nurses, issued over 600 vaccinations yesterday across the four volunteer meeting points at the McGregor State School, Doomben Racecourse, Boondall Entertainment Centre and Mount Coot-tha Botanical Gardens car park. Please take care during the clean-up, people need to be cautious of the risks posed by these flood waters, which were mixed with raw sewerage, chemicals and a host of other nasty things.

Residents are being urged to empty any containers holding water in their yard, to keep mosquitoes at bay. We will be conducting aerial sprays as necessary in coming weeks as soon as mosquito larvae become active. Council regularly sprays up to 3,000 known pond locations.

Recovery Centres
Recovery Centres have been set up across the city as a one-stop-shop for flood affected residents. Services available at these Centres include the processing of Centrelink and State Government payments, insurance advice, onsite banking and counselling services. So far we have had 440 people visit the various centres, with 120 volunteers on staff.

The Centres are open from 8:30am and 5pm and are located at:

* QEII Sports Complex Kessels Road, Mt Gravatt
    * RNA Showgrounds Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills
    * Indooroopilly Catholic Church Hall Corner of Ward and Fairley Streets, Indooroopilly
    * Yeronga State School Villa Street, Yeronga
    * St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School Ruthven Street, Corinda
    * East Brisbane Anglican Church 455 Main Street, Kangaroo Point
    * Jamboree Heights State School 35 Beanland Street, Jamboree Heights

ozbob

ozbob

BrizCommuter

Just got back from volunteering with the clean-up operation.
Early days I know, but I thought I'd make an assessment of public transport over the disaster period whilst it is fresh in my head.
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com/2011/01/brisbane-ipswich-flood.html

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on January 16, 2011, 18:08:49 PM
Just got back from volunteering with the clean-up operation.
Early days I know, but I thought I'd make an assessment of public transport over the disaster period whilst it is fresh in my head.
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com/2011/01/brisbane-ipswich-flood.html
Yes, the information was a p%ss poor performance, I'm afraid.  In particular where were the alternate stop locations for services which normally serve KGSBS or QSBS?  Not good enough, I say.

Derwan

Quote from: somebody on January 16, 2011, 18:17:24 PM
Yes, the information was a p%ss poor performance, I'm afraid. 

You're such a negative Nancy!  We were in the middle of one of the worst disasters that Brisbane has seen and yet you complain about a lack of information?  Given the circumstances, I think it's understandable that the information that was provided wasn't perfect!
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

HappyTrainGuy

There always has to be one negative person for every situation.

I'm suprised that translink and the operators went to so much trouble to constantly provide services for what little information they had available given the circumstances of a major flood at Brisbane's doorstep. On Wednesday I went past a few railway stations. Flyers had been printed up and put on display and members of the public were able to take copies. The stationmasters at stations were informing people arriving that trains were on a different schedule even if it meant yelling across platforms. The stationmaster at Albion was awesome. Walking up to everyone that just arrived at the station and telling them that services were limited, when the next train was, times they were leaving the city and that there were copies of inbound/outbound timetables for all lines. Those people are all bloody legends in my book.

FYI, the media were not always 100% correct too. They published a lot of heresay and rumors started spreading from comments on social networks about services not running which confused a lot of people about PT during the floods.

ozbob

🡱 🡳