• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Unintegrated integrated public transport

Started by stephenk, November 23, 2009, 21:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenk

I was down in sunny Melbourne last week for work, and use public transport quite a few times. First I have to say how good the off-peak service is. 15min frequency from Flinders St to Ringwood at 9:30pm at night was very convenient, and quite well patronised. 20mins Sunday evening off-peak on the Sandringham Line was satifactary, and 12min reverse pm peak service on the Glen Waverley Line was very convenient!

However one thing annoyed me. On two occasions I had to use the 75 tram to Burwood East, and then transfer to the 732 bus to Knox. The bus is timetabled to connect with the tram. Integrated timetabling, great! Unfortunately on both occassions the tram arrived 3 mins late, only to see the bus leaving. Waiting 20 mins for the next bus (which also pulled away as the next tram arrived) at 10:30pm at night was somewhat annoying!
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

stephenk

I received a reply from Metlink:
"Thank you for your correspondence received on 24-November-2009 regarding the above matter.
The Route 732 bus is designed to connect with the Route 75 tram for every service.
Unfortunately if the Tram is running late the bus can only wait for a certain amount of time before it must depart to ensure passengers make connections further down the line.
The Department are working on real time information systems as you suggested that will keep drivers better informed late trams. The MYKI system will provide such information.
Thank you for raising this matter with the Public Transport Division. "
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

🡱 🡳