• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

BaT - Bus and Train project (was UBAT, was no CRR)

Started by ozbob, May 23, 2013, 09:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

My official submission was "Piggyback Express".  :pfy:
Ride the G:

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on February 11, 2014, 09:55:30 AM

I don't think  he was serious, well I hope he wasn't, probably just a hook ... 

Riptides were around UQ probably about when the Minister was at UQ as a student ..

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow 22m

One of @scottemersonmp favourites? --> ... #ubat :-)

=============

Twitter

Scott Emerson ‏@scottemersonmp 7m

@Robert_Dow Indeed. Saw them first in early 80s - last time performing at UQ's 100th birthday celebrations in the Great Court in 2010.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Otto

Quote from: James on February 11, 2014, 11:24:16 AM
In terms of a name for the tunnel, I think it should be named the BUM - Brisbane Underground Metro.
'I'm just leaving the BUM now.'
'When you travel in the BUM its all dark and you can't see anything.'
'There are so many air-carrying buses in the BUM!'

Yep, Just Passing Wind !
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

petey3801

What about the 'Hole in the Ground'? We already have the 'Hole in the Wall' at Bowen Hills, so might as well keep the trend going!  :hg
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

Stillwater

Good to see the Minister has his priorities right -- first settle the name for a project the feasibility of which has not been established and for which funding is yet to be secured.  I suppose getting a name won't cost much and we can afford a few signs.

somebody

SW, who cares about the merit of the idea.  Their plan is to charge ahead with the project.  Funding?  Treasury will be told to fund it.

bcasey

Quote from: ozbob on February 11, 2014, 13:14:29 PM
Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane Underground name competition

Some of the name suggestions in the comments of that article are pretty funny, although some of the abbreviations I would not repost here. I have a feeling this competition might backfire on them, they will probably get a lot of joke names like the BUM compared to more serious names.

mufreight

Whats wrong with BUM, it is short and easily remembered, sure it can be used in a lot of slightly blue jokes but so what.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jonno

I will just go with "Better Legacy to Leave than Legacy Way"

ozbob

UBAT Geo-tech barge Kangaroo Point Brisbane River, has moved closer to bank

Photograph R Dow 13th February 2014

James

Quote from: Derwan on February 11, 2014, 13:01:12 PM'I go in and out of the BUM on a daily basis.'
'The entrance to the BUM is called the BUM hole.'
'I'm taking a train up the BUM.'

I think I should stop there.   :hg

Why stop there?

"To get on the right platform, you need to use the rear entrance to the BUM."
<on board a bus> "NO! DON'T GO INTO THE BUM!"
"Look at all those trains coming out of the BUM."

I think a Media Release is needed saying RBoT supports the name 'BUM'. BUM will provide comedic relief to passengers dealing with our third-world public transport system, as well as giving tourists a humorous introduction to our city. The acronym BUM is also sure to attract tourists - heck, have the plaque next to a sign where people can legally expose their buttocks - I'm sure you'll get lots of attention. Maybe even some international media. It will do more for Brisbane than G20 ever will. ;D
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

ozbob

No need for a MR, BUM is already the colloquial name around the traps.

Put in your suggestions for the name though .. if you think BUM should be it then submit.

But I personally do not like it as it is not really a metro ...

#Metro

BUTT = Brisbane Underground Train Tunnel / Brisbane Underground Transit Tunnel / Brisbane Underground TOLL Tunnel!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on February 13, 2014, 14:10:03 PM
No need for a MR, BUM is already the colloquial name around the traps.

Put in your suggestions for the name though .. if you think BUM should be it then submit.

I believe that under the terms and conditions, acronyms are not allowed.
Also note that the 6 months travel has a maximum of $3000 or 6 months x $500 per month

My 6 months travel costs e.g., would equal $3474.90 (using 9 then free over 26 weeks).  :thsdo
Regards,
Fares_Fair

James

Quote from: Fares_Fair on February 13, 2014, 19:02:28 PMI believe that under the terms and conditions, acronyms are not allowed.
Also note that the 6 months travel has a maximum of $3000 or 6 months x $500 per month

My 6 months travel costs e.g., would equal $3474.90 (using 9 then free over 26 weeks).  :thsdo

BUM = Brisbane Underground Metro. Not an acronym, but turning it into an acronym provides laughs for all.

verbatim9

Nothing will replace the well thought out future proof CRR

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Reaper

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Brisbane City Council yet to reveal contribution to underground bus and train tunnel

QuoteBrisbane City Council yet to reveal contribution to underground bus and train tunnel
February 19, 2014 - 12:02AM Kim Stephens

Brisbane City Council is still yet to put a dollar figure on the amount it will contribute to the city's new $5 billion underground bus and rail tunnel.

Deputy mayor and infrastructure committee chairman Adrian Schrinner said on Tuesday it was too early to say how much Brisbane ratepayers would chip in to the combined state and local government project.

"At no stage have we given a commitment to the level of funding other than we are prepared to make a contribution," Cr Schrinner said.

"This is going to be a negotiation.
Advertisement

"There are various models of funding that could be used.

"Council will only commit an amount that is affordable for us and financially sustainable."

The tunnel, announced last year as a long-awaited measure to combat the city's bus and rail congestion, is due for completion in 2020.

The second of four phases of the large scale project is underway and due to be completed by mid 2014.

Under questioning by Opposition Leader Milton Dick following a project update to council's infrastructure committee meeting, Cr Schrinner said a business case for the project was yet to be finalised.

Consequently, the deputy mayor said, an estimated figure could not be given.

"No figure has been discussed or proposed," he said.

"Council wants to see this project happen – it's in the city's interest and council's interests for it to happen – but we don't have the business case finalised yet."

Cr Schrinner said a number of funding models were being discussed and there had been a "massive level" of interest from the private sector, both from within Australia and globally.

He said more than 100 potential investors attended a briefing on the project in December.

The project combines two previous plans where preliminary work was undertaken - the previous state government's $5.2 billion cross river rail project and the council's $2.8 billion Suburbs 2 City plan.

Cr Schrinner said the council actively sought state funding and potentially federal funding for its Suburbs 2 City plan.

"We made it clear we could not afford to pay that ourselves," he said of the multi-billion dollar transport blueprint.

However, he said any lobbying for federal investment in the underground bus and rail tunnel would fall to the state government.

Phase B of the project, which is currently underway, involves environmental assessment, public consultation and the establishment of the reference design and business case.

It will also see the terms of reference issued.

Upon completion, the 5.4 kilometre tunnel from Dutton Park to Victoria Park is expected to alleviate significant bus congestion on CBD bridges and transport thoroughfares and slash train travel times.

It is the first integrated double deck bus and rail tunnel in the world.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-city-council-yet-to-reveal-contribution-to-underground-bus-and-train-tunnel-20140218-32yi1.html#ixzz2thFwcpIv

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane Underground Bus and Train project names shortlisted

QuoteShortlisted names for the Brisbane Underground Bus and Train Project:

The B Line

Henry Dalziel VC Tunnel

Brisbane Innercity Link

Brisbane Underground (BUG)

The Rush

Metro-link

The Gabba Connector

Brisbane River Tunnel

Brisbane City Metro

The Big Artie

The John Oxley Tunnel

S27 Tunnel

The Thomas Petrie Tunnel

Edenglassie Tunnel

BrisLink

Bristube

GoZunda

River Link

Brisbane Area Metro

Bandicoot

The Savage Garden

The 2ube

Brizlink

Allan Border Cover Drive

Brisway Tunnel

Warana Link Transway

Doherty Parks Tunnel

The Fanning Underground

The Maiwar Tunnel

CBD Connect

Bee Gees Tunnel

The Brisway

Brisbane Tube

The QTube

Metropolitan Network. (The MetNet).

City Link Tunnel

River Link Express

Bris Express

Colin Campbell tunnel

Brisbane Metro Link

The N-S Quicklink

The BaT Tunnel (Bus and Train)

River City Connect

River City Underground

Yirr-ma Transit Tunnel

RiverCityRapid

BrisX (Bris Cross)

The Brisbane Line

BURT (Brisbane Underground Rapid Transport)

Crosstown tunnel

BLink

The Mud Army Tunnel

Parsons Pamphlet and Finnegan Tunnel

The Saints Underground

Joshua Jeays Tunnel

Wilbur Smith Tunnel

Brisbane Expressway

River City Tunnel

RiverCity Rapidlink

Southern Cross

Poppins Place

Brisbane City Rapid Transport

BrisLine

Brislink Underground

The Two-up

The "Thomo" expressway (tunnel)

Fenton 11

The Wafer

City Tube

U-Trans

The Maroon Xpress

Kath Walker City Link Corridor

Bris City Metro

The Sylvia Jones River Link Tunnel

Oodgeroo Link

Barrambbin

The Brisbat

The Wally Lewis Way

Cooee Link

Rapid Underlink

ConnectLink

B-Zip

The Urban Transit Express Line (The UTE)

CitySub

City Line

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-underground-bus-and-train-project-names-shortlisted-20140303-33ukr.html

Derwan

I like The 2ube.

The 2 indicates bus and rail.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

bcasey

I'm not sure I really like the ones with "metro" in the name, since it is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. When I think of a metro, what comes to mind is a network of tunnels with multiple routes that connect with each other, like the London Metro, etc. This is a single tunnel that connects a few stops together that would otherwise not be possible above ground.

I think the gabba connector is a bit catchy, although probably won't end up being chosen. I would imagine that they will go with a name based on a historical figure, since most of the bridges and tunnels in Brisbane have named similarly.

Derwan

Quote from: bcasey on March 03, 2014, 10:55:51 AM
I'm not sure I really like the ones with "metro" in the name, since it is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion.

Agreed!

I think the gabba connector is a bit catchy, although probably won't end up being chosen. I would imagine that they will go with a name based on a historical figure, since most of the bridges and tunnels in Brisbane have named similarly.

Unfortunately I think this will be the case.  They'll ignore all the clever and catchy names - and go for some obscure name that some people have never heard of.

Why not at least put it to a vote to see if there is a clear favourite?
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Cam

ozbob

Funding of UBAT is uncertain.  And it is no means certain that the present LNP Government will be returned in the next state election.  Will they go to an election suggesting that funding of UBAT is conditional on assets sales?  More than likely.

The present Federal Government is by no means sure of re-election either.  Due to their position with public transport and urban rail not much hope there.

I think the most likely scenario from here is that UBAT, what ever it is called, will never be built.  What is more likely is Cross River Rail returns and the bus network sorted out properly to alleviate the need to run excess buses into the CBD.

Sorry to rain on the UBAT parade but seriously, it just ain't going to happen folks IMHO ..

The 5 year fare path and non action to resolve is just further testament to the attempts to control patronage growth, so that an effective solution can be put back to when ever -  2051?

Stillwater

State and Commonwealth have pulled forward the 'next big thing' -- the Second Range Crossing (road project).  It is seldom that more than one 'bloody big thing' is funded at the same time in any one state.

ozbob

The rail tunnel from Acacia Ridge to the Port is  ......   a never ending story ... la la de da

ozbob

Quote from: Stillwater on March 03, 2014, 15:13:05 PM
State and Commonwealth have pulled forward the 'next big thing' -- the Second Range Crossing (road project).  It is seldom that more than one 'bloody big thing' is funded at the same time in any one state.

And there will be lots of ' bloody big things ' on the roads terrifying good citizens no doubt!

ozbob

I just heard on 612 ABC Brisbane radio there were 897 or so nominations for names.  So I guess if your suggestion made the ' short ' list you have done very well!

James

Quote from: Derwan on March 03, 2014, 11:02:11 AMUnfortunately I think this will be the case.  They'll ignore all the clever and catchy names - and go for some obscure name that some people have never heard of.

Sir Leo Hielscher Bridges! :bg:

I expect UBAT will be built. Might take until after 2015, but I do expect it to be built. ALP will not be back at state level until at least 2018, in order to get the ALP back in 2015 you've got to effectively have a landslide swing and then some more. Similar thing at the Federal level - expect them to last until at least 2019. Realistically, ALP federally needed a drumming to flush out all the crap from the Rudd/Gillard years, right now they're lacking in any talent really.

I like BUG, but the Alan Border Cover Drive is quite funny... but not really apt given it isn't a road.

SteelPan

Congratulations re the list of short-listed names.

I too made a submission that was not short-listed.  Fair enough and I don't want to sound "sour grapish", but seriously, for a "short-list" at least 50% of the selected names are simply stupid!  :yikes:
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on March 03, 2014, 16:11:46 PM
I just heard on 612 ABC Brisbane radio there were 897 or so nominations for names.  So I guess if your suggestion made the ' short ' list you have done very well!

Congrats to you ozBob for the 'Henry Dalziel VC' name getting up.  :-t
Well done!

This was my nomination which didn't make the cut.
Obviously consent would need to be obtained from the families before any consideration.

Corporal Daniel Keighran, 29, from Nambour, Queensland won the Victoria Cross for valour in November 2012.
Lance Corporal Jared MacKinney, 28, was an Australian serviceman who died in that same battle.
They are forever linked.
Both men were based with the 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, Enoggera Barracks, Brisbane.
6RAR is a motorised infantry battalion of the Australian Army.

I have selected these 2 men for a number of reasons:

1. Corporal Daniel Keighran is a Queenslander.
2. Both men were based in Brisbane, in a motorised transport regiment.
3. These 2 men are united, 1 in life and 1 in death, in a common goal, as will this bus/rail tunnel crossing.
4. Keighran MacKinney Crossing will open up the way for others to travel safely.
5. Corporal Keighran fought to make the way safe for his comrades and provide protection.
6. Lance Corporal Jared MacKinney gave his life for their common purpose.
So this crossing will make a way safe for Brisbane into the future.

Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Thanks.  Fine soldier was Henry. Queensland Rail's only VC winner.

For interest. 

=====================================

Dalziel, Henry (1893–1965)  VC

by Helen Mays

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 8, (MUP), 1981

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/dalziel-henry-5876

Henry Dalziel (1893-1965), soldier, locomotive fireman and farmer, was born on 18 February 1893 at Irvinebank, Queensland, son of James Dalziel, miner, and his wife Eliza Maggie, née McMillan, both of whom were native-born. He was educated at Irvinebank and became a fireman on the Cairns-Atherton railway.

Dalziel enlisted as a private in the Australian Imperial Force on 16 January 1915 and embarked with reinforcements for the 15th Battalion. Joining his unit at Gallipoli in July, he served in the battle of Sari Bair in August and was eventually evacuated with his battalion to Egypt. On 31 May 1916 he sailed for France, going into the line at Bois Grenier and from July serving on the Somme, at Pozières and Mouquet Farm. In 1917 Dalziel saw action at Gueudecourt, Lagnicourt, Bullecourt and Messines before being wounded by shrapnel at Polygon Wood on 16 October. He resumed duty on 7 June 1918, first as a driver and then as a gunner.

For valour during the battle of Hamel on 4 July Dalziel won the thousandth Victoria Cross awarded. When his battalion's advance met with strong resistance from a heavily armed enemy garrison at Pear Trench, Dalziel as second member of a Lewis-gun team helped his partner to silence machine-gun fire. When fire opened up from another post he dashed forward and, with his revolver, killed or captured the crew and gun, thus allowing the advance to proceed. During this action the tip of his trigger-finger was shot away; he was ordered to the rear, but instead continued to serve his gun in the final storming of Pear Trench. Although again ordered back to the aid-post he began taking ammunition up to the front line, continuing to do so until he was shot in the head.

Dalziel's wound was so severe that his skull was smashed and the brain exposed. He received extensive medical treatment in England before returning to Australia in January 1919. While travelling home by train, he received a hero's welcome at every station from Townsville to Atherton. On 8 April 1920, at the Congregational manse, South Brisbane, he married Ida Maude Ramsay, a nurse who had served with the 17th Australian General Hospital. They took up a soldier-settlement block, which they named Zenith, on the Tolga railway line. As Dalziel was unable to cope with the day-to-day duties of a small mixed farm his wife assumed most of the work-load.

His interest in farming waned after a few years and Dalziel left her to run Zenith and moved south. He worked in a Sydney factory in the late 1920s but by 1933 had settled in Brisbane where he was out of work for some time; he later received a war pension. In the early 1930s he joined the Citizen Military Forces, becoming a sergeant in the 9th/15th Battalion. He developed an interest in song-writing, cultivated at first during long periods of hospitalization; some of his songs, such as A Song of the Tableland and Love Time, Merry Love Time, were published in England. In 1956 he went to London for the V.C. centenary celebrations.

Dalziel died of a stroke on 24 July 1965 at the Repatriation General Hospital, Greenslopes, Brisbane, and was cremated with military honours.

ozbob

Henry Dalziel VC was an ANZAC, a Queenslander.  There is the  connection with Queensland Rail.  2015 is very significant in terms of ANZAC Centenary.  2015 is also 150 years for Queensland Rail.  I think naming the UBAT after Henry would be very appropriate.

ozbob

Premier
The Honourable Campbell Newman

Queensland's transport network modelled on the best

Some of the world's most cutting edge public transport design and technology was on show as Premier Campbell Newman toured New York's East Access Rail Line project during his US trade mission.

Mr Newman said the project underneath New York's iconic Grand Central Station was a good model for Queensland's own underground bus and rail network, which is set to transform transport in Brisbane's CBD.

"The Brisbane project will create hundreds of jobs and is a major project that delivers on our election commitments," Mr Newman said.

"We promised to grow construction as one of the four pillars of the economy and we promised to revitalise frontline services and create jobs.

"We can learn from the New York city experience as it goes through the process of building its major rail system to service the Eastern part of the state.

"This New York project involves major station cavern construction and deep levelled stations beneath existing and operating rail stations and city environments.

"Brisbane's Underground Bus and Train network project shares many similarities with the East Access Rail project, including major tunnelling and excavation as well as concourse and terminal construction.

"The double stacked platforms within the station cavern at Grand Central will be very similar to the three major underground stations at Woolloongabba, George Street and Roma Street.

"Jobs growth and building the economy are keys to this trade mission and New York's experience with its project will help us achieve both these aims in Queensland."

Mr Newman said he also spent time at the rejuvenated 9/11 memorial site during his time in New York.

"Many Australians were killed and injured in the devastating events that took place on 11 September 2001 and it is important that we remember them," he said.

The Premier is currently leading a group of Queensland companies on a trade mission to promote the State's industries in Los Angeles, New York and Houston.

[ENDS] 10 March 2014

Stillwater

Yikes!  So we are back to having a state government, an LNP one this time around, that tells us we have a 'world class' rail project even before it has been built.  On this occasion, Campbell Newman should sack his tailor.  The Little Emperor is standing starkers in New York, believing he is wearing a fine three-piece suit.  Seems as though he just needs to justify his USA visit with a few lame media statements, this being one of them.

ozbob

I hope there is a glossy brochure for UBAT, I collect them  :P

Some background on the project visited by the Premier.

--> http://web.mta.info/capconstr/esas/

BrizCommuter

BrizCommuter quite likes the 2ube name (which I had to type 3 times before auto-spelling gave up)

🡱 🡳