• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Airports ...

Started by ozbob, February 18, 2013, 04:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

There's some issues with building it on swamp land that mean it will take longer to build.

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on February 18, 2013, 15:03:12 PM
Quote from: Simon on February 18, 2013, 14:25:32 PM
There's some issues with building it on swamp land that mean it will take longer to build.

Sydney's 3rd runway was built on water faster.

If it takes 6 years to build this it would be the slowest runway construction in world.
Doesn't change what I have posted.

somebody

Chek Lap Kok took 6 years to build.  I'm sure other examples took a long time too, such as KIX.

SurfRail

Anything is going to take longer here, that's a given.  We treat our workers better and we do considerably more due diligence and investigation on where things go.  I wouldn't be in a rush to surrender either approach.
Ride the G:

red dragin

It's something to do with poor bedrock and the mudflats settling.

colinw

I don't think the timescale for the new runway is at all surprising.

The current Brisbane Airport, constructed on reclaimed mudflats and the former suburb of Cribb Island, took from turning of the first sod in May 1980 until March 1988 to be ready for operations.  That was after a good decade of planning & resumptions, the site being gazetted as the future airport in 1970s.

Mudflat/mangrove reclamation projects often involve extended periods for things to settle & stabilise.

joninbrisbane

The long time is for stabilisation. 

Chep Lak Kok is not even in the same ballpark.  It was two runways, a terminal and not forgetting the infill between the existing islands. It's still amazing to me that they completed the project so quickly.

ozbob

ozbob

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on February 21, 2013, 14:20:19 PM
Someone in CM made a good point, when airlines buy a plane its 25-33% up front, so perhaps a small increase in landing charges to fund the ongoing construction of the new runway especally because it will take so long is not unrealistic. If the same landing charge per passenger is applies, lets say $X/seat. Then the airlines are not disadvantaged as its impacts equally and realistically there is no competition or equivalent alternative for Brisbane airport users so its not like they will loose customers.
Source on the 25-33% up front?  My info is that it is a deposit, a progress payment upon entering final assembly and the bulk of the cost on delivery.

This really assumes that the airlines actually want a new runway at Brisbane.  Obviously they would want it if they don't have to pay for it.

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on February 21, 2013, 14:33:58 PM
I suppose the comparison is Gladstone where the council rebuilt the runway to 737 standard. Not sure when landing fees were hiked during the project, but they were hiked.
Ability to operate a 737 is something airlines would really want though.  And passengers, because it means cheaper fares.  The second runway at BNE seems more like a nice to have at present, although it might needed in the future.  Or it might not.

somebody

With a Q400, it has 72 or 74 seats vs 150+ seats for 2 class 737-800 in QF config or 170 in 2 class VA config if I calculate correctly.  All of the planes need two pilots, the Q400 needs two F/As and the 737 needs 4-5 F/As.  You might pay the 737 pilots slightly more, but you are dividing the cost over more than double the number of passengers.  Fuel is slightly different but it isn't massive.

It really makes a big difference.

ozbob

huddo45

The wonders of privatisation. Not so much an airport, more like a shopping mall with airstrip attached. If you go to Flightradar24.com you can watch the comings and goings, looks like the busway at South Brisbane on a bad day. This is available also as a smartphone or tablet app for a few dollars so you know where your plane is. One can also watch the ships on  marinetraffic.com.

ozbob

ozbob

somebody

Surely they can find a way here.  Group the light planes which used to be using the second (cross) runway together or put up their fees for landing/taking off in peak hour or something!

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

verbatim9

The new train line to Maroochydore should terminate at the Mcy Airport. Also they should bring forward the heavy rail link from Varsity lakes to Coolangatta airport. Then you can use all 3 airports BNE OOL and MCY in Synergy

#Metro

I don't understand this proposal.

To avoid delay, you fly the plane to another airport far away so that it takes LONGER to get where you actually want to go. How is this any better than now??

Why not just fly the plane slower??
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Arnz

MCY's runway can only accomodate 737/A320s. 

Even then, there are payload restrictions for Melbourne on the Boeing 737-800s during the summer months (eg a fully loaded A320/737 travelling more than 2 hours uses more runway during the hotter months).    It's also likely one of the reasons why Air NZ operates MCY-AKL only during the Winter and Spring months every year (From June till the end of October).
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

somebody

It would have to be pretty hot for that to happen!

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

somebody

Sloppy journalism.  Heathrow is not the worlds busiest airport, except by "International passengers".  Atlanta is far busier by both passengers and flights.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

newbris

Quote from: ozbob on June 19, 2013, 11:46:34 AM
Brisbanetimes --> Virgin deal brings new runway closer

This surprised me?

""With 37 per cent of our domestic flights arriving or departing the city each day, Brisbane is an extremely significant airport for Virgin Australia and is key to our growth aspirations," Mr Narayan said."

SurfRail

Brisbane is basically Virgin's home base so it shouldn't be too surprising.
Ride the G:

🡱 🡳