Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: Ghan in the dirt at Kathrine  (Read 2220 times)

rtt_rules

Ghan in the dirt at Kathrine
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/transcontinental-train-the-ghan-derails-near-katherine-in-the-northern-territory/story-fndo1z0b-1226565320554

TWO carriages of transcontinental train The Ghan have derailed in the Northern Territory.

The incident happened just out of Katherine.

Police say the second and third carriages on the Great Southern-operated train slid off the tracks 300m north of the town's railway station about 3.10pm, the NT News reports.

No injuries have been reported.

The crash will not be investigated by police and is being handled by the company.

A Great Southern Rail spokeswoman confirmed there had been an incident involving the train.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: Ghan in the dirt at Kathrine
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
Member SurfRail is on board the Ghan ....  not sure if he has online access at present.

:hc
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »
From the NT News click here!

Passenger train derailed

Passenger train derailed

NT NEWS   |  January 30th, 2013

TWO carriages of the Ghan have derailed at Katherine.

Authorities reported the second and third carriages on the train - a luggage van and crew car - slid off the tracks 300m north of the town's railway station.

Great Southern Railways spokeswoman Melanie Reid said the derailment was "very minor".

"The train was going at low speed as it was going through the switching point at Katherine station," she said, adding it was unclear if any belongings in the luggage car were damaged.

"Our first priority was to ensure the people were safe."

No injuries were reported in the mishap about 3.10pm.

Police attended the scene but will not investigate.
  Bob's Blog

Offline HappyTrainGuy

• My train... My people... My money!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »
Looks like the points failed.
"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »
From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Passengers stranded after Ghan derailed

Passengers stranded after Ghan derailed

ABOUT 200 passengers travelling on The Ghan have been stranded outside Katherine following a minor derailment on Wednesday afternoon.

Great Southern Rail, which operates the train, said the derailment occurred about 3.15pm as the train was travelling at low speed into the Katherine terminal.

There have been no reports of injuries to passengers or crew from the derailment which affected two non-passenger carriages.

Passengers were about four hours into the 47-hour journey from Darwin to Adelaide when the derailment occurred.
Advertisement

In a statement on Wednesday night, Great Southern Rail said it was working to ensure the comfort and safety of its passengers while trying to get the train back on track.

The train operator said it anticipated the train would resume its journey about 3.30am.

A spokesman for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said the authority would investigate the cause of the accident.

Great Southern Rail said passengers were likely to arrive in Alice Springs about 6pm on Thursday evening and it would provide a revised timetable as soon as possible.

Ghan passengers were also stranded in Alice Springs in June when another train derailed near Tennant Creek, blocking the tracks.

The wheels had come off the carriage of a freight train carrying manganese from a Bootu Creek mine to Darwin.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/passengers-stranded-after-ghan-derailed-20130130-2dlfq.html
  Bob's Blog

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »
The eventual delay into Adelaide ended up being only 4 hours (derail would have been around 1:30pm as we were entering the Katherine yard and they reported we got underway at 2:00am in the morning).  We didn't get our whistle-stop tour of Katherine and they only offered a one-hour trip to the desert park at Alice Springs (couldn't be bothered in heat as we got there around lunchtime).

On the plus side all drinks tabs were waived, and I suspect I received a little more cognac in my night-cap both evenings than I was meant to receive.

Still a thoroughly enjoyable trip in spite of the problem.  I had no checked baggage, so didn' end up being crammed in with anything I didn't already have (the baggage car was one of the derailees).

I only had reliable internet for around 30 minutes in Alice Springs before it conked out.  From the time I left Darwin, I have not had reliable service until basically this evening, in spite of flying to Melbourne last night and travelling back here to Adelaide on the Overland today (another good trip and this time free of disruption).

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:10:59 AM »
Good trip Surfrail, just with a little more adventure.

So they just kicked off those two cars? How did they get the train around it?

I'm not entirely clear. I gather what happened was they lifted the derailed cars out of the consist with crane(s).  They had to send for a loco from Darwin, which would have pushed the train up to the 2 locos again.  Thanks for the lift, G&W...

Not much of a view from where I was down the other end, and all the busy and interesting stuff would have happened after I nodded off.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
The ATSB has released its investigation report into the

Derailment of The Ghan passenger train 4DA8 at Katherine NT on 30 January 2013

The Ghan passenger train derailed entering the crossing loop from mainline, two bogies on two passenger coaches derailed. All vehicles remained upright and coupled. There were no reported injuries to passengers or train crew.

Final Report: Derailment of The Ghan passenger train at Katherine NT on 30 January 2013

Bob's Blog

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
The shortest passing loop on the NCL is 683m, located at Palmwoods, 97.3km north of Roma Street Station, and allows a freight train of 650m maximum length.

I see from the details that the Ghan was 758m long, though obviously it doesn't pass through Palmwoods or the NCL, and hence it's length could potentially be longer.
Route is Adelaide to Alice Springs to Darwin.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
It's a fairly long consist for a passenger train.  They tend to run fewer, longer trains these days.

The IP generally needs to be broken in 2 to fit at Sydney Terminal.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan