• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Ipswich region

Started by rattler, January 15, 2013, 12:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzGamer

You know, I'm looking at the map and it's not actually all that bad. I'm assuming they're planning on elevated rail for much of it, but the amount of resumption is not that great.

Go to https://spp.dsdip.esriaustraliaonline.com.au/geoviewer/map/planmaking and select the following layers:

Infrastructure
 - Transport Infrastructure
   - Railway corridor
   - Future railway corridor
   - Public passenger transport facility
   - Future public passenger transport facility

You can see it does pretty much have a path through. The corridor was preserved quite a while ago.

aldonius

Quote from: OzGamer on August 22, 2024, 11:20:01 AMThe problem with going to Yamanto and no further is that you would have to assume it is much more strongly connected to Ipswich than to Brisbane.

Yeah of course, no denying that.

As I see it there's two distinct sections by difficulty. Part 1 is relatively greenfield and parallel to the Centenary. This gets you to Yamanto 'central'. Then there's the trickier bit into Ipswich.

Everyone agrees that we have to get Ripley done ASAP. What I want to encourage is the idea of Yamanto 'central' as the natural and obvious next stage after that - without tying it to the difficulty of getting back into Ipswich central.

timh

I've always assumed the section from Yamanto to Ipswich would be Skyrail considering how close it is to the Bremer.
I don't think resumptions are the issue, I think the curvature of the track is. You *can* run trains along it but I expect it would be reeeally slow.

STB

You know, the more I think about it, and after spending time living in the Ipswich area, unless the Ipswich CBD gets a massive overhaul (much more than is currently happening), then frankly, you could really just get away with terminating trains at Yamanto and having bus lanes with the high frequency 515 connecting Yamanto to Ipswich.  Honestly, I think long term, Springfield is going to be a bigger destination than Ipswich.

The trouble with extending the rail line north from Yamanto to Ipswich is that it will require some serious engineering, given that corridor is a floodplain and has flooded many times in the past.  It's also very windy to avoid the established development, that it might as well be faster to go via bus from Yamanto to Ipswich (and vice versa).

GonzoFonzie

If Ipswich wants to grow and expand then there's no need for the Springfield Lakes line to be extended to Ipswich as the I2S proposes. A more logical rail extension would be west towards Rosewood via Willowbank/Amberley, and then make use of that quarry rail line at Jeebropilly which directly links to the existing line. These new stations would be bus hubs to connect most of Ipswich and surrounds together. 

ozbob

For those who haven't been out to the Ripley Valley of late, the amount of development going on is staggering!!!

Development around Yamanto is booming as well.

It needs a much improved bus network.  Getting the heavy rail from Springfield Central to Ripley North to me is a major priority. From Ripley north to Ipswich electric buses on transit lanes/bus lanes, needs to be set up quickly.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Campaign to prevent more loss of life on Queensland highways | 7NEWS

Ipswich motorists are being warned the city's highway network could effectively fail within seven years.

It comes as the local council fights for more funding for critical upgrades.

====

There is a mention of the ongoing bus issues.

ozbob

Couriermail --> Master plan reveals 1800 houses to come to Redbank Plains, Ipswich $

QuoteA master plan submitted to the Ipswich City Council has revealed an 1800-dwelling community could be constructed in Redbank Plains.

Developer the Trustee for the Vic Cunmer Trust has submitted a preliminary development plan on August 16, involving construction for residential and non-residential uses, open space, community facilities and conservation areas.

The development will be carried out across the 182ha site at the Hardrock Quarry, an elevated land parcel three kilometres west of Springfield Central.

The plan proposes low- and medium-density houses across eight precincts, with a future rail corridor reserved. ...

ozbob

Government Statement

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/101513

Concept masterplan for Bell Street precinct in Ipswich unveiled

27th September 2024

A concept masterplan is being prepared for the Bell Street Precinct in Ipswich to identify ways to revitalise the area and address key issues in Ipswich, including the need for expanded community facilities, new housing and key worker accommodation to support the fast-growing community.

Being undertaken by Economic Development Queensland (EDQ), working with a number of key stakeholders, this planning aims to build on Ipswich City Council's revitalisation of the Nicholas Street precinct and continue the momentum for development in the Bell Street area.

The Bell Street precinct includes several state-owned assets, such as the former Transit Centre, Health Plaza and Ipswich Train Station.

The concept masterplan will consider these essential services as well as unlocking new uses to benefit the Ipswich region.

Once the concept masterplan has been completed the government will identify the next steps that need to be undertaken to progress the revitalisation of the Bell Street precinct. ...

More > https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/101513

ozbob

Ipswich News Today --> "We can't wait" Council's call for train funding

Ipswich Council is no longer willing to wait for funding for a trainline from Springfield through to Ipswich. (Michael R Williams)

Two decades on, Ipswich City Council is still waiting for funding above to bring the Ipswich to Springfield train line to life. The train line was one of many on the list of local infrastructure projects that received announcements during state and federal election cycles, only to be left on the cutting room floor months later.

Ipswich City Council is calling on state election candidates to move beyond planning and design and to commit funding to construction as a part of an election promise.

ICC has already secured up to $10 million through the SEQ City Deal made across all three levels of government to undertake the preliminary evaluation and detailed business case for the Ipswich to Springfield Central public transport line project (or I2S for short).

They claim this project could make a real difference for the city and its residents. ...

Jonno

Quote"I2S" fast train service, which she says would allow Ipswich residents to commute to Brisbane CBD in 21 minutes.

Not sure the IS2 is about a fast rain to the Brisbane? It is about connecting Springfield to Ipswich.  Happy to be very wrong. 

ozbob

^ huh? Where is that quote from Jonno?

I think they mean Springfield to Ipswich CBD?

Jonno

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-10-04/ipswich-opens-fake-train-station-ahead-of-queensland-election/104427520
QuoteShe is demanding the next Queensland government fund the "I2S" fast train service, which she says would allow Ipswich residents to commute to Brisbane CBD in 21 minutes.

aldonius

I think it's technically possible to run Ipswich to Brisbane in 21 minutes. Granted, it'd have to be express from Goodna  :pfy:

ozbob

ABC News --> Ipswich council opens 'Ripley station' amid pre-election demands for rail link to Springfield Central

In short:

Ipswich City Council has opened a train station to nowhere at Ripley Town Centre as a pre-election stunt.

The council is asking the next Queensland government to fund an Ipswich-to-Springfield Central train link. ...

ozbob

Quote from: aldonius on October 04, 2024, 18:53:56 PMI think it's technically possible to run Ipswich to Brisbane in 21 minutes. Granted, it'd have to be express from Goodna  :pfy:

Is that before or after the light rail up Queen Street?

#askingforafriend    :eo:

#Metro

Well, as desirable as that may be rail extension is not coming any time soon.

Would be great to have some BRT feeder bus set up and maybe P&R as an interim measure to concentrate the patronage around stops. As a brand new estate it isn't going to be redeveloped any time soon at higher density - maybe in 50 years.

ICC can help by placing catalyst/seed funding on the table for either the infrastructure, the service, or both.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Ipswich First --> State commitment key to accelerating 20,000 new homes in Ipswich to Springfield transport corridor

QuoteWith State Election campaigning in full swing, Ipswich City Council has amplified its calls for critical construction funding to deliver a much-needed public transport link between Ipswich and Springfield Central which could accelerate the delivery of 20,000 new and affordable homes for Queenslanders.

The Ipswich to Springfield Central public transport corridor, or I2S for short, is a mass-transit public transport line which would feature nine stations connecting the growth areas of Ripley, Redbank Plains and Yamanto with the Ipswich and Brisbane city centres.

Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding and councillors have constructed a temporary train station at Ripley Town Centre, one of the proposed I2S stations, to drive their message home as part of Council's We Can't Wait State Election advocacy campaign.

"The Queensland Government first identified the need for an Ipswich to Springfield Central public transport corridor in 2006 – almost 20 years ago," Mayor Harding said. ...

... Goodna resident and spokesperson for public transport lobby group Rail Back on Track, Robert Dow, welcomed council's spotlight on the urgent need to fill the public transport gap in Ipswich.

"Better public transport between Ipswich and Springfield Central is absolutely critical as this city grapples with growth," Mr Dow said.

"We believe that an extension of the rail line from Ipswich (sic, this should read Springfield Central) to Ripley is a realistic, immediate ask.

"From there, it may be a significant extension of the bus network, or it may be a rail connection.

"Regardless, we need better connections, more frequent services and more reliable services.

"We also need governments to work together and to have a go – I have signed up to Ipswich City Council's We Can't Wait campaign, which includes the I2S project, and encourage others to do so."

Residents can add their voices to the We Can't Wait campaign in the lead-up to the State Election on 26 October by visiting https://wecantwait.com.au and joining the "waitlist".

🡱 🡳