Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - Petition  (Read 35020 times)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - Petition
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
In earlier story, almost half the respondents said they were concerned about the cost of fares.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/government-launches-bus-review-20120723-22keo.html

Yes, it is the key issue - affordability, a fact now acknowledged by TransLink.

A bus review without a fare review, as the poll  demonstrates, affordability the stand out issue ...
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Bob's Blog  Instagram   Facebook  @ozbob13@mastodon.social

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 03:08:20 AM »

Media release 10th October 2012

SEQ: Review of fare system needed urgently

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has again called for a review of the fare system for south-east Queensland (1).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The TransLink Annual Report 2011/12 (1) has confirmed that public transport fare unaffordability is the major public transport issue facing the State Government.  Excessive fare increases have stalled patronage levels, and is proving costly in terms of congestion and road trauma costs, and environmental impacts."

"The public feedback is overwhelming.  There is gross dissatisfaction with the failing fare system.  System issues with the go card are just further worsening public concerns (2, 3)."

"The present fares for the go card have an excessive base fare cost with considerable fare box leakage due to easily manipulated fares."

"Queensland is the only state that does not extend concession fares to all health care card holders (4)."

"Queensland does not have family/group tickets as in many other states (5)."

"Seniors in states and territories other than Queensland have simple public transport entitlements (6)."

"An online petition calling for an urgent fare review is filling rapidly with hundreds of signatures (7)."

"It is time the Government and TransLink acted.  It is essential that in order to optimise the bus and rail reviews, the major failing of the public transport in south-east Queensland - the fares, be sorted.

"It is time to put in place fares that are socially and economically responsible."

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

References:

1.  http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/2011-12-annual-report.pdf page 71

2.  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9155.0

3.  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=432.0

4.  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9124.0

5.  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9123.0

6.  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.msg109944#msg109944

7.  http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

Offline Gazza

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:49 AM »
A bus review without a fare review, as the poll  demonstrates, affordability the stand out issue ...
But I personally think the Bus review is far more important.

The reason fares are a stand out issue is because It's very easy for blogger to comment on fares because people like to complain about about the prices of things for everything in life (Tolls, petrol, electricity, rego, Coles/Woolies prices etc.

But very few bloggers have the capacity to look at entire networks, map them out (In the case of SurfRail/Tramtrain/Simon etc)...
Not many people will care about any bus route they don't personally use.
In fact The most common comments you'll hear about a bus route is.

-"The bus is always late!"
-"The bus is a sardine can!"
-"90 mins on the bus versus 30 in the car, so I drive" (But that is more a bus priority/directness of route/connection times issue, but hopefully bus review form fillers pointed out these problems)

But nobody blogs this:

-"My bus duplicates another route, taking taxpayers money away from areas which need more services"

......Prior to the fare increases, fares were quite inexpensive (Eg only $2 for a Zone 1 fare, those were the days),

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »
Poll is conclusive but I hear you Gazza i hope they sort the zone issues as well by sorting the fares they would get a lot cred ...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline techblitz

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
But I personally think the Bus review is far more important.

The reason fares are a stand out issue is because It's very easy for blogger to comment on fares because people like to complain about about the prices of things for everything in life (Tolls, petrol, electricity, rego, Coles/Woolies prices etc.

But very few bloggers have the capacity to look at entire networks, map them out (In the case of SurfRail/Tramtrain/Simon etc)...
Not many people will care about any bus route they don't personally use.
In fact The most common comments you'll hear about a bus route is.

-"The bus is always late!"
-"The bus is a sardine can!"
-"90 mins on the bus versus 30 in the car, so I drive" (But that is more a bus priority/directness of route/connection times issue, but hopefully bus review form fillers pointed out these problems)

But nobody blogs this:

-"My bus duplicates another route, taking taxpayers money away from areas which need more services"

......Prior to the fare increases, fares were quite inexpensive (Eg only $2 for a Zone 1 fare, those were the days),

+1

Mr emerson is concentrating on a bus review at the moment so let the man get on with it! He wont even consider fare reviews til at least december.And with good point because its only been a few months since the '9 then free' was introduced.Yes i know the 10 then free was around a while before and figures show that forecasting failed.

Also prepare yourself for the fact that come january mr emerson & translink may just stick to the planned 7.5 fare increases but `spruik` the 9 then free to oblivion as the main `benefit`

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
You are being too naive.   Further fare increases of 7.5% without offsets is unlikely.  TransLink have said themselves that affordability is the key issue.

Now is the time to get into the offsets.  The public is clearly very upset about affordability.  The lack of ticketing options such as family/group tickets, lack of concessions for health care card holders, poor senior options.  Frankly they care little for the review as such, they want better fare options.

It is the perfect time to sort it.  Bring it on!!

:-t

somebody

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
I will watch this with a lot of interest as the new year approaches/arrives.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
I will watch this with a lot of interest as the new year approaches/arrives.

8) :-t

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
ABC News --> 1 in 8 Australians living in poverty: report

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
At 80% subsidy for QR at least, which was a few years back about $450mpa, I start wondering whether having any fare structure is worth the cost of issuing and collecting? Perhaps it should be just a simple large gold coin access fee that enables travel anywhere in suburban Brisbane, smaller gold coin fee for interurban travel, you get a little yellow ticket with recent time/date stamp and god help you if the ticket inspectors/general PT police find you without one (ie fines start at $500 and go up for repeat offenders). How many people and how much equipment on the revenue side would be redundent (reduce operational reduced cost)? Ridership levels would rise in short-term, there would be an initial minor positive impact on traffic congestion in some areas and long-term less congestion and road damage. All of which we want, but what would the impact be on the budget, about $200-250mpa.

My est is ridership in peak on Citytrain would rise from current 60million to 80million over 2 years + off-peak doubling with more users. Revenues of $120-150m + increased revenues from adverising and station shops. Kids, simple Age 5 onwards, the same 1 ticket. Pensioners, the same 1 ticket. Go-card (because its there) would remain for those who don't want to carry gold coins.

The numbers do not bear this proposal out.

TransLink's total income for 2011/2012 was $1,534,378,000.00 (call it $1.53bn).  Of that, $375,984,000.00 comes from fares (call it $376m) - proportion is around 24.5% recovery systemwide from fares with around $10.5m from other sources (so negligible).

The cost of running go card appears to be about $46m per year.  QR still needs CSOs and BT still needs drivers, irrespective of whether they are issuing fares or of what level.  The go card expenditure is easily justified given the ease of administration, speeding up boarding and the richness of the data they are getting on where people are going and how to plan around that.

From what I have been told, TransLink will eventually have one of the world's most comprehensive data monitoring suites which will eventually comprise patronage, on-time running and the like basically in real-time, which is going to pay for itself in identifying efficiencies - and go card is an integral part of that.

I expect Springfield will eventually kick the patronage up another 5 million or so for negligible additional operational expenditure (extension of existing services already timetabled around the extension), Kippa-Ring another 5 or so million on top of that (reasonable amount of extra expenditure), and slightly cheaper fares and more off-peak patronage maybe another 5-10 million in a few years. 

The recovery and passenger experience will also improve by getting rid of guards.  More drivers, and CSOs at stations in lieu of having 2 people crewing every single train.
Ride the G:

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:09 AM »
Brisbanetimes --> State's great divide

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »
112m pax in 2004, so assume about 130m today? Considering there has been little growth in last 3 years on rail.

It's 178.3m in the last year - rail and ferry together are about 1/3rd of that, buses 2/3rds.

The growth was overwhelmingly in bus patronage - ferries went seriously backwards due to the floods and hasn't recovered, even with more services than ever before.
Ride the G:

somebody

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
Far too much money has been invested in Go Card to be thinking about scrapping it now for something which is not clearly better.

ferries went seriously backwards due to the floods and hasn't recovered, even with more services than ever before.
This is probably affected by the bus increases near the ferry wharves, e.g. 412, CityGlider..

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
I have been reliably informed peak patronage is doing well, some drop off in off peak.  Not surprising with the poor frequency and so forth on most lines.  The one good thing has been Darra, but lets face it TransLink and QR have basically done nothing to promote the off peak frequency, or properly support it.  Been heaps of new bus routes with frequency by comparison, so not surprising more growth there. 

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Funnily enough the Gold Coast line still has skyrocketing patronage - small wonder considering the money spent on infrastructure and rollingstock (and therefore timetable) upgrades in the last 6 years.

If similar attention was paid elsewhere, then the results would be much better. 
Ride the G:

somebody

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Funnily enough the Gold Coast line still has skyrocketing patronage - small wonder considering the money spent on infrastructure and rollingstock (and therefore timetable) upgrades in the last 6 years.

If similar attention was paid elsewhere, then the results would be much better.
Don't know that I'd say "skyrocketing".  These are the figures from the 2012Q1 survey:
AM
Varsity Lakes - Ormeau 2982 3430 3506 3953 3736 15.0% 2.2% 12.7% -5.5%
2012 less than 2011 and only about 10% above 2009.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
The cost of supporting the car commute to work is a lot more RTT.

The governments, past and present are just delusional mate.   It is long long battle ...

Offline Gazza

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
RTT, the fares should be cheaper, but not dirt cheap $2 as you suggest.

Why can't they just be rolled back to what they were pre major hikes (which were pretty acceptable fares, eg when GoCard came out a 1 zone ticket was $2, which is fine), and then from that base level, adjust for CPI over the period of the major hikes?

that it costs 25% of your income to recover that income.
But what about your 'gold coin' system? That would have recovery costs too you know, Any fare collection system does. Metcard/OneLink in vic, Crouzet in Adelaide, SmartRider in Perth etc etc. All systems need coins counted, machines stocked with paper, and maintained, back end computer systems maintained, Transit officers paid.

A gold coin fare doesn't reduce the cost of running the system, no matter the form.

There's a good reason for the shift to smart card based systems...Because they're the most efficent to run.

The only way to avoid recovery costs is a 100% free system with no barriers or equipment, but we can't afford the extra $330 mil (It's not just the lost revenue, its also the surge in demand that would come about from free fares, and the additional money needed to cater for that.

Yes, we need to increase PT use and make it affordable, but it seems many interpret that as doing it at any cost.

We could increase PT use just as easily as we could eliminate hospital waiting lists, or lift performance of school students, just spend billions and billions. All benefit society, but at the end of the day, you've gotta come up with something that gives the most bang for your buck.

I'm all for increasing patronage, but I'm sick of reading foamy suggestions like $2 fares to Cabulcha.

We roll our eyes at the stupid unrealistic road plans the likes of the RACQ, RACV, NRMA etc trot out, but some of the things PT Advocates ask for just make me roll my eyes, and they're being just as malignant.

low depreciation, low fuel and I did most of my own MTCE.
Random question, but why is "depreciation" written in full (as are most words) but "maintenance" isn't?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:09:12 PM by Gazza »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
Aroung 1/3 of your revenue through fares is not a 'minor' revenue stream.

Bus wrap advertising, or vending machines at stations... that is an example of a minor revenue stream.

Would you say goodbye to 30% of your salary?

With respect to getting the subsidy down, the first port of call should have been TL and its operators reducing their own costs.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2012, 02:31:42 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

16th October 2012

Basic fare economics 101

Greetings,

The Minister for Transport has put out a statement on
Public transport patronage on the increase  http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2012/10/15/public-transport-patronage-on-the-increase

There has been an increase of 50,000 trips per week in the three month quarter July to September 2012, relative to the same quarter last year.

When you consider that at least 200,000 free trips weekly are presently being taken (possibly more), simple arithmetic means there are less than 150,000 paid trips per week this past quarter than the previous year.  This is a very significant fare box leakage and is why a fare review is needed urgently.

Long haul trips for example to the Gold Coast are the trips that receive the greatest public subsidies, around $50 per trip.  However, with our failing fare system it is those who receive the greatest subsidy are exactly those who can manipulate the free travel after 9 paid journeys.  Perverse?  You bet it is.

For example:

A person who commutes between Varsity Lakes (zone 16) and Central station daily for work.

Adult peak go card fare is $12.84. The cost for the normal 5 day week is therefore $12.84 x 9 = $115.56, with the 9 journey cap their journey home on Friday is free.

If the person does a lunch time one zone journey on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (off peak $2.44 one zone fare) they have then completed 9 paid journeys when they return to Varsity Lakes on Wednesday.

Their cost of travel for the week is ($12.84 x 6) + ($2.44 x 3) = $84.36 (compared to $115.56 without 'optimisation').

The person can then travel free for Thursday, Friday and the weekend, unlimited.

Over a 48 week working year the savings equate to $1497.60, this is fare box leakage.

As users become more adept at 'optimising' this fare system the leakage will be massive. It in turn forces up the base fares making public transport very inaccessible for many who are not able to 'optimise', that is don't achieve 9 paid journeys.

Is this a fair fare system? No, it is not. The present fare system needs review.

The State Government is sadly deluded if they believe the present fare system is sustainable.  A fare system that is equitable and balanced will drive patronage increases around the clock, and will increase the fare box and reduce the public subsidy. Something that has not occurred with the present failing fare system.

Queensland is the only state that does not extend concession fares to all health care card holders. Queensland does not have family/group tickets as in many other states.

Seniors in states and territories other than Queensland have simple public transport entitlements. See
http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.msg109944#msg109944

TransLink fares have increased 65 per cent over the past 4 years. Further fare increases of 7.5% for 2013 and 2014 will just exacerbate the unaffordability for many.

To continue in denial will just further distort the fares and lead to further worsening of the fare box revenue, already well below the average for Australia.

The present fares for the go card has an excessive base fare cost with considerable fare box leakage due to easily manipulated fares.  Time to have some political courage and fix it!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Fare Review Petition -->  http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
From the Couriermail Quest click here!

A day in the life of four commuters

A day in the life of four commuters

by: Aleisha Pidgeon, Northside Chronicle
    October 17, 2012 12:00AM

Today is Ride to Work Day, but the lack of a direct and safe bike route linking northside suburbs to the city is keeping people off bicycles and in their cars, a Virginia cyclist says.

BICYCLE
Aaron Ball, 43, Virginia
Why you use it? To save money, keep fit and to be mindful of the enviornment.
Where do you travel to? I commute to the CBD.
What time do you leave? About 6.20am.
How long does it take? About 40 minutes.
Problems you encounter? There is no direct bike route into the city even though it's been promised. You have to share the road in parts of Albion and Woolloowin. Cars are allowed to part on the side of the roads and people are opening their car doors.
How can your transport experience be improved? A designated bikeway path in Albion and Wooloowin. That patch is just a death corridor.

CAR
Joel Cornell, 25, Chermside
Why you use it? To visit our customers premises which varies in location.
Where do you travel to? South to Grafton (NSW), West to Dalby and north to Cairns however these remote locations are rare. The majority of our clients are based within 20kms from the city of Brisbane.
What time do you leave? Between 7.30am-8am.
How long does it take? The majority of trips are within 30 minutes.
Problems you encounter? Traffic from the northside to the southside or even to the city takes a substantial amount of time however with major road works other projects scheduled to be completed in the next few years there should be a decongestion of traffic.
How can your transport experience be improved? Reduce cost of public transport to encourage people who are able to utilise this method of getting to their desired place - there are many people who are effected by the increase in road traffic but have no other choice but to continue to drive.

TRAIN
Alissa Donoghue, 24, Chermside
Why you use it? I have a carpark in the city but I still choose to take the train when I can as it is much quicker.
Where do you travel to? Sunshine station to the city.
What time do you leave? Between 7.15am-7.30am.
How long does it take? About 25 minutes.
Problems you encounter? Trains seem to run very frequent in peak times. The only problem is getting a park at the station. If you arrive later than 8am you have to park a long way from the train station and use street parking.
How can your transport experience be improved? It is getting very expensive to use public transport hence people driving into the city. If they reduce the ticket price and provided more commuter parking that would be a great benefit.

BUS
Courtney Thomason, 21, Chermside West
Why you use it? I work in the city and it is too expensive to drive to work and pay for parking everyday.
Where do you travel to? King George Square, Brisbane City.
What time do you leave?Between 7am-8am.
How long does it take? 30-40 minutes.
Problems you encounter? Since moving another couple of kilometres down the road, an extra three minutes drive by car, it now takes an additional 10 minutes for me to get to the city and adds $1 extra to my fare. This is something that has continued to rise considerably over the past six months. While it is still more convenient and cheaper than driving and parking in the city everyday, I am unsure why the cost of catching a bus has risen so much in such a short period of time. Having caught the 371 a couple of years ago, I definitely enjoyed when I moved from Chermside to Chermside West, and caught the 345, which went through a busway that cut off most all of the city traffic. This noticeably cut down transport time particularly during rush hour traffic.
How can your transport experience be improved? I know they have added extra buses to some of the busier bus lines, one of which I catch (345), however I have not noticed any change. I do not mind waiting for transport when I know it is rush hour. What I do not like is how the drivers then pack the buses so full it feels like being in a tin of sardines, with people literally back to front touching all the way up the aisle in the bus. I do feel that more buses should be running during these times.

Fare affordability, common concern ...

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
From Quest North West News 17th October 2012 page 5

Fare review petition as numbers drop

Fare review petition as numbers drop

A FALL in patronage of public transport is due to increased fares and lack of services, according to a transport advocate.

Rail Back on Track spokesman Robert Dow said Brisbane commuters paid some of the highest fares across the country.

He called on the State Government to conduct an urgent fare review after TransLink’s Annual Report 2011-12 confirmed a fall in patronage due to lower growth and fare increases.

‘‘Excessive fare increases have stalled patronage levels, and is proving costly in terms of congestion and road costs, and environmental impacts,’’ he said.

In the period 2010-11 the review found 178.6 million people were using the services before dropping to 178.3 million for 2011-12.

In January, TransLink introduced a 15 per cent fare rise across the network but has since reduced the hike to 7.5 per cent, which will be rolled out over the next two years.

Visit backontrack.org

Petition - Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - GoPetition
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:12:14 PM by ozbob »

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
TransLink Focus on Affordability

--> http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/focus-on-affordability.pdf

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

--> http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/focus-on-affordability.pdf

Do the Queensland Government and TransLink really think that public transport users are stupid enough to believe this statement " This reduction in the annual fare increase will provide fare relief for our customers and supports the Queensland Government’s commitment to deliver more affordable public transport options." A 7.5% fare rise will not make public transport more affordable, and will not provide fare relief!

somebody

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
It's up there for spin with comparing the BNE Airtrain with the Heathrow Express!

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »

Do the Queensland Government and TransLink really think that public transport users are stupid enough to believe this statement " This reduction in the annual fare increase will provide fare relief for our customers and supports the Queensland Government’s commitment to deliver more affordable public transport options." A 7.5% fare rise will not make public transport more affordable, and will not provide fare relief!

Sadly delusional I agree .... 

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2012, 03:22:32 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

20th October 2012

Our petition calling for a fare review is approaching 500 signatures

Greetings,

Our petition calling for a fare review is approaching 500 signatures.

See --> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

TransLink have published this document:

How can further fare increases of 7.5% - many times inflation/CPI,  actually deliver more affordable public transport options?  It doesn't, clearly.

The entire fare system needs to be done again from scratch. 

I suspect the reason why the 2011/12 Q4 TransLink Tracker has not yet been published is because it confirms that diabolical situation with the failing fare system.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Sent to all outlets:

16th October 2012

Basic fare economics 101

Greetings,

The Minister for Transport has put out a statement on
Public transport patronage on the increase  http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2012/10/15/public-transport-patronage-on-the-increase

There has been an increase of 50,000 trips per week in the three month quarter July to September 2012, relative to the same quarter last year.

When you consider that at least 200,000 free trips weekly are presently being taken (possibly more), simple arithmetic means there are less than 150,000 paid trips per week this past quarter than the previous year.  This is a very significant fare box leakage and is why a fare review is needed urgently.

Long haul trips for example to the Gold Coast are the trips that receive the greatest public subsidies, around $50 per trip.  However, with our failing fare system it is those who receive the greatest subsidy are exactly those who can manipulate the free travel after 9 paid journeys.  Perverse?  You bet it is.

For example:

A person who commutes between Varsity Lakes (zone 16) and Central station daily for work.

Adult peak go card fare is $12.84. The cost for the normal 5 day week is therefore $12.84 x 9 = $115.56, with the 9 journey cap their journey home on Friday is free.

If the person does a lunch time one zone journey on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (off peak $2.44 one zone fare) they have then completed 9 paid journeys when they return to Varsity Lakes on Wednesday.

Their cost of travel for the week is ($12.84 x 6) + ($2.44 x 3) = $84.36 (compared to $115.56 without 'optimisation').

The person can then travel free for Thursday, Friday and the weekend, unlimited.

Over a 48 week working year the savings equate to $1497.60, this is fare box leakage.

As users become more adept at 'optimising' this fare system the leakage will be massive. It in turn forces up the base fares making public transport very inaccessible for many who are not able to 'optimise', that is don't achieve 9 paid journeys.

Is this a fair fare system? No, it is not. The present fare system needs review.

The State Government is sadly deluded if they believe the present fare system is sustainable.  A fare system that is equitable and balanced will drive patronage increases around the clock, and will increase the fare box and reduce the public subsidy. Something that has not occurred with the present failing fare system.

Queensland is the only state that does not extend concession fares to all health care card holders. Queensland does not have family/group tickets as in many other states.

Seniors in states and territories other than Queensland have simple public transport entitlements. See
http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.msg109944#msg109944

TransLink fares have increased 65 per cent over the past 4 years. Further fare increases of 7.5% for 2013 and 2014 will just exacerbate the unaffordability for many.

To continue in denial will just further distort the fares and lead to further worsening of the fare box revenue, already well below the average for Australia.

The present fares for the go card has an excessive base fare cost with considerable fare box leakage due to easily manipulated fares.  Time to have some political courage and fix it!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Fare Review Petition -->  http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

Offline Gazza

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
Something I have been thinking about more and more, but is the heavy focus on special offers for "Frequent Users" really all that fair? Or logical?

The way I see it, if someone is not such a frequent user (Say 2-4 Journeys per week) does that make them less worthy than a regular M-F 9-5 user?

At least they are using PT in the first place!

In Australian cities, getting someone to even consider setting foot on a bus or a train is a big achievement.

People at the lower end of the journeys per week could very much be on the borederline, and could slide either way - Use PT more, or slide back, not make those 2-4 Journeys, and go back to not using PT at all.

This is why I think some of the logic over periodicals/special offers to "reward" frequent users is flawed.
Yes, giving someone an all you can eat ticket/ discounts after X journeys means they could make the most of it and do a couple of extra trips after their typical 10 work trips.

But at the same time, the situtation for a less frequent user could be that they could go from 2-4 to 4-6 journeys per week, if the fare levels were attractive enough to do so!

Both users are bumping up patronage counts, and are averted car trips.

To me its very clear that 9 then free would have been much better as just cutting fares across the board by 10% (1 trip free out of 10 is effectivley a 10% discount remember) Reduce the barrier to entry, and get all users travelling more!

I think a good line to give the media would be to say that an across the board fare cut like this would have done more for more people (And more politically I daresay lol)

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
 :-t

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 10:22:14 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

18th November 2012

Why we need a fare review

The present fares for the go card are relatively expensive compared to most other public transport jurisdictions and have an unusual fare structure.  High base fares (= high flag fall) with "free" journey caps.  All go card users can access free travel after completing nine paid journeys in a Monday to Sunday period, Seniors and some DVA pensioners also have a daily two paid journey cap, that is once two paid journeys completed on a particular day they can then travel free. 

The free travel after completing the necessary paid journeys sounds good but there are issues with it.  Go card users can easily offset more expensive travel by taking extra short journeys at say lunch time to reach the journey cap more quickly.  This is fare box leakage.
Seniors may not be able to achieve the two daily journey cap easily due to poor  public transport service frequency. location and high cost for initial journeys,  and for the time it might take.

The Minister for Transport has indicated in a statement that the number of trips on public transport increased by 600,000 trips between July - September ( http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2012/10/25/affordability-up-on-lnp-fare-package ).  That is approximately 50,000 trips per week.  In the same statement the Minister also indicated that free trips are running at around 200,000 per week.

This means that actual paid public transport trips is reduced by 150,000 per week.  This is a significant fare box leakage.  The real cost of this is approximately [$6.72 (subsidy) plus forgone average fare $2] by 150,000 per week = $1.3M dollars per week.  Which is equivalent to $65 million per year!  This around 7 times the budgeted cost.

The fare box leakage due to the flawed nine and free rort, is a compelling reason why the fares need an urgent overhaul.  This leakage will just continue to distort the fare price structure, disadvantaging most of the community.  The only people who are benefiting from the flawed fare system are cashed up long haul commuters.  Families, pensioners, unemployed, and those who are not able to reach the nine journey cap and rort are being punished.  This is why public transport patronage is stagnating.  We have the worlds worst fare system and one of the most expensive nationally and globally in terms of base fares.

Families are struggling to get on to public transport.  No family/group ticket.
Current family/groups tickets in state capitals http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9123.0

Pensioners, particularly those who don't have high frequency services find to difficult to achieve their two journey cap.   Give Pensioners free off peak travel, concession fares during the peaks.
Current Senior fares in state capitals http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.0

All health care card holders don't get concession travel in Queensland, all other states and territories they do.
Health care cards and concession fares around the nation  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9124.0

Turning people away from public transport actually costs more in terms of congestion costs, impacts from road trauma on the health sector, worsened environmental outcomes.  It is not rocket science or advanced economics.  It is commonsense, something lacking with the fares on public transport in south-east Queensland.

Further fare increases of 7.5% without offsets will just worsen fare affordability and drive more fare box leakage.

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now!  Petition --> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

Example of how users offset travel costs using the free journey cap:

Long haul trips for example to the Gold Coast are the trips that receive the greatest public subsidies, around $50 per trip.  However, with our failing fare system it is those who receive the greatest subsidy are exactly those who can manipulate the free travel after 9 paid journeys.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:40:34 AM by ozbob »

somebody

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
I've had a look at the TL website, and it seems that the 2013 and 2014 schedules have been removed.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
I've had a look at the TL website, and it seems that the 2013 and 2014 schedules have been removed.

A few months ago I tweeted that the 2013/2014 schedules still had the 15% fare increases.  They were removed after that. 

somebody

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
You wonder how the LNP could persist with 7.5% fare increases from where we are now, but the ALP persisted with their 15% fare increases, even though it doubtless cost them some seats that they would have saved by backing down.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2012, 03:28:32 AM »
22 November 2012

Delusion in George St - fares

Greetings,

No bonuses for Queensland Rail  QR chiefs miss $11m boost over rail delays  http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qr-chiefs-miss-11m-boost-over-rail-delays/story-e6freoof-1226521541017

Fair enough.  But what is amusing are the continual assertions in the article that fare affordability was improving.  Rubbish Minister Emerson.  Fare affordability has never been worse, and if there are further fare increases of 7.5% as planned there will probably be riots on the buses, trains and ferries.

The fare system is in total disarray.  Driving people away from public transport, forcing up the base fares due to massive fare box leakage, it is a disaster.  The LNP are lazy, they simply followed the flawed fare path of the ALP.

George Street has a bad case of delusion.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Sent to all outlets:

18th November 2012

The present fares for the go card are relatively expensive compared to most other public transport jurisdictions and have an unusual fare structure.  High base fares (= high flag fall) with "free" journey caps.  All go card users can access free travel after completing nine paid journeys in a Monday to Sunday period, Seniors and some DVA pensioners also have a daily two paid journey cap, that is once two paid journeys completed on a particular day they can then travel free. 

The free travel after completing the necessary paid journeys sounds good but there are issues with it.  Go card users can easily offset more expensive travel by taking extra short journeys at say lunch time to reach the journey cap more quickly.  This is fare box leakage.
Seniors may not be able to achieve the two daily journey cap easily due to poor  public transport service frequency. location and high cost for initial journeys,  and for the time it might take.

The Minister for Transport has indicated in a statement that the number of trips on public transport increased by 600,000 trips between July - September ( http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2012/10/25/affordability-up-on-lnp-fare-package ).  That is approximately 50,000 trips per week.  In the same statement the Minister also indicated that free trips are running at around 200,000 per week.

This means that actual paid public transport trips is reduced by 150,000 per week.  This is a significant fare box leakage.  The real cost of this is approximately [$6.72 (subsidy) plus forgone average fare $2] by 150,000 per week = $1.3M dollars per week.  Which is equivalent to $65 million per year!  This around 7 times the budgeted cost.

The fare box leakage due to the flawed nine and free rort, is a compelling reason why the fares need an urgent overhaul.  This leakage will just continue to distort the fare price structure, disadvantaging most of the community.  The only people who are benefiting from the flawed fare system are cashed up long haul commuters.  Families, pensioners, unemployed, and those who are not able to reach the nine journey cap and rort are being punished.  This is why public transport patronage is stagnating.  We have the worlds worst fare system and one of the most expensive nationally and globally in terms of base fares.

Current family/groups tickets in state capitals http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9123.0

Pensioners, particularly those who don't have high frequency services find to difficult to achieve their two journey cap.   Give Pensioners free off peak travel, concession fares during the peaks.
Current Senior fares in state capitals http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.0

All health care card holders don't get concession travel in Queensland, all other states and territories they do.
Health care cards and concession fares around the nation  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9124.0

Turning people away from public transport actually costs more in terms of congestion costs, impacts from road trauma on the health sector, worsened environmental outcomes.  It is not rocket science or advanced economics.  It is commonsense, something lacking with the fares on public transport in south-east Queensland.

Further fare increases of 7.5% without offsets will just worsen fare affordability and drive more fare box leakage.

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now!  Petition --> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

Long haul trips for example to the Gold Coast are the trips that receive the greatest public subsidies, around $50 per trip.  However, with our failing fare system it is those who receive the greatest subsidy are exactly those who can manipulate the free travel after 9 paid journeys.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 03:12:46 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

26 November 2012

Opal Launch Re: Why we need a fare review

Greetings,

Yesterday in Sydney was the 'launch' of their new smart card for public transport, the Opal card.

What is interesting is the fare structure for the initial trial.

As part of the Opal trial, public transport users will travel free after paying for eight journeys in a single week. The maximum daily fare will be capped at $15 from Monday to Saturday and $2.50 on Sundays. Fares will otherwise remain the same.

Obviously Sydney doesn't want to make the errors made in SEQ with the go card, particularly unchecked fare box leakage.  They have learned from the failure here in SEQ with the go card.

Other public jurisdictions can get fares sorted, why not SEQ?

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/government-it/test-of-citys-ticket-to-ride-will-decide-if-opal-is-coalitions-trump-card-20121125-2a1mj.html

Time for action!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Sent to all outlets:

18th November 2012

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

somebody

« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »
Didn't notice this before, but only the fare portion counts as farebox leakage!  Not the subsidy portion.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
Didn't notice this before, but only the fare portion counts as farebox leakage!  Not the subsidy portion.

No, because the free trips have to be paid for, in fact I have been on the conservative side.  A point also highlighted in Parliament by the Opposition.

somebody

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »
Huh?

Best I leave it at that, I think.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2012, 12:52:47 PM »
No, because the free trips have to be paid for,
How? Are they having to run extra buses and trains to cater for the pax loads of free trippers?

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
Loss of revenue ... which in turn is increasing the subsidy.

Obviously if you displace paid journeys with free journeys there is a loss.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan