Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - Petition  (Read 29966 times)

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - Petition
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
Petition - Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - GoPetition

Sent to all outlets:

30th September 2012

Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - Petition

Greetings,

The evidence is overwhelming.  An urgent review of the fare system for TransLink south-east Queensland is needed now.

Previous calls for a review have been ignored.

Please support a review of the fare system by publicising this online petition:

Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now!

--> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

Thank you!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:59:41 AM by ozbob »
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now! - Petition
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
To keep everyone happy I have changed the wording ' fare structure ' to ' fares ' ....

The present fares are ridiculous.  If you don't support a review, then don't sign the petition.

So many are are being seriously disadvantaged with the system as it is.   I care, even if others don't.
  Bob's Blog

Offline Gazza

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
Other than lack of health care card concessions, the half price fares are pretty good though aren't they?

Adult fares are expensive, but once you halve that, it becomes ok.

With the farebox leakage, I want to wait till the next tracker to see what average fare paid has actually done...If some leakage has resulted in a proportionally larger increase in usage I think its less of a problem.
All we know at the moment is that 9 then free is probably going to cost more than predicited, but what we don't know is what impact that has had on usage leading up to the 9th trip.

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
BrizCommuter is not amused that longer distance commuters who get a much better deal per km than inner suburban commuters anyway*, are able to extort the system even more.

* yes this happens on most rail systems but the difference is very extreme in SE Queensland.

Zone based weeklies (at 9 journey equivalent) would be more fair for all, and is managed on other Cubic systems.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
^If you're going to do that, why not just program the system to cap weekly at the price you were planning on selling the periodical weekly at?

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:36:31 AM »
^If you're going to do that, why not just program the system to cap weekly at the price you were planning on selling the periodical weekly at?

Well, that is an option for weekly ticketing.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
^It should be the only option.
On a "Smart" card system, why make it that the user has to manually do something to get the best fare? Why make it that users have to predict what their PT usage will be (Important for uni students, that are often on the edge threshold of a "weekly", but all it takes is a cancelled lecture or something and suddenly thats 2 less trips for the week.

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
BrizCommuter is not amused that longer distance commuters who get a much better deal per km than inner suburban commuters anyway*, are able to extort the system even more.

* yes this happens on most rail systems but the difference is very extreme in SE Queensland.

Zone based weeklies (at 9 journey equivalent) would be more fair for all, and is managed on other Cubic systems.

I appreciate you having your point of view BrizC, and short zone trips are expensive - no question.

I have no intention of triggering the usual argument re: levels of service vs costs, but to say we longer distance commuters 'extort the system even more.' infers a deliberate illegality on our (long distance commuters) part that simply isn't justified.

Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
I think we can all agree that shorter trips should be made cheaper.

Offline Arnz

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
A lot of city slickers tend to forget, that despite the PT share in the outer metropolitan areas and both coasts being low (varying between 1%-3%), that there a lot of one zone trippers in the likes of Ipswich, Caboolture, Southport, Maroochydore and so forth.  So the short trip problem is not just restricted to city slickers as some is led to believe.

For example the Route 600 (a trunk route) gets a lot of pensioners that hop on the bus just to go up the road to one of the local shopping centres (be it a major centre such as Sunshine Plaza/Kawana Shops, or one of the smaller centres at Currimundi/Mooloolaba) along the route.    Along with those fresh out of school that don't have their license yet and travel to work on the bus on full fare.

Route 616 (with a frequency of every half-hour) is another route that is combined with pensioners taking the bus for a one zone trip up to the hill to Buderim (let's face it, not all of them would be fit for the climb up the hill), along with University students going to/from Uni to home/work.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:10:25 PM by Arnz »
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Offline Stillwater

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Very good points.  :-t

Offline Gazza

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
^Agree totally.
This is the reason why I oppose a free travel zone centered around the Brisbane CBD/ free Zone 1 travel/whatever....Because it favours the 'city slickers', but forgets all the people in other parts of SEQ doing short trips. When the GCLRT starts running there is going to be an explosion of short 1-2 zone trips trips along the line, but to support that, they need to be good value for money.

Offline #Metro

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
No Free Zone.
Thanks.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:19 AM »
From the Queensland Times click here!

Rail petition demands fare go

Rail petition demands fare go

Kieran Banks | 2nd October 2012 2:00 AM

PUBLIC transport campaigner Robert Dow is calling on the Newman government to urgently review a fare structure that is pricing people out of public transport.

Mr Dow, spokesman for public transport advocacy group Rail Back on Track, has urged the government to drop base prices and introduce concessions for pensioners.

As the government reviews bus and rail services, Mr Dow says the next logical step is to review the fare structure.

A petition is open for three months and he hopes weight of numbers will pressure the Newman government into a review.

"The government wants to reduce the cost of living, but by bringing in an equitable fare structure (it) will reduce the cost of living for many families and increase patronage," he said.

"Purchasing a single paper ticket from East Ipswich to Ipswich will cost you $4.50. It's clearly too dear, particularly the shorter zone journeys.

"There needs to be a much more equitable fare system in place. We are looking (at) further fare increases," he said.

The petition highlights the need for: fare concessions to health care card holders, family group tickets, free travel for pensioners during off peak times, cheaper fares and 50% discounts for journeys made after eight trips.

Introducing family group tickets for two adults and up to five children would encourage families onto public transport on weekends and school holidays, he said.

Mr Dow said all of these options were available on public transport across Australia, but not in Queensland.

Mr Dow said a fare increase of 7.5% at the end of the year was higher than the CPI pension increase.

"People are finding public transport unaffordable," he said.

To sign the petition visit gopetition.com/petitions/ and search for "fare review for Translink in south east Queensland".

FARE FACTS

Translink fares will increase 7.5% in 2013 and 2014.
    Mr Dow wants $1.50 taken off each travel zone.
    The petition is open for three months.

Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 03:41:35 AM »
Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

So much wrong with fares, Seniors, Families, Health Card card holders, fare box leakage, extreme fare costs @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

=================

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Health care cards and concession fares around the nation --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9124.0 … @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

=================

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Current family/groups tickets in state capitals --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9123.0 … @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

=================

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Current Senior fares in state capitals --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.0 … @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ
  Bob's Blog

Offline kazzac

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
even though I no longer use PT  [except for a bus trip into the city on weekends sometimes]I did for nearly a year before I became a car owner again.I signed petition because I agree fares are way too expensive.a 1 zone fare should only cost about $2.00
only an occasional PT user now!

Offline Seasoned Traveller

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
The entire fare structure and premise behind it is wrong, even for regular commuters.

In discussions with local MPs and journalists over the years for not only the disgraceful fare structure, but also the 5-year price hike plan, nothing outraged me more than the then Transport Minister's response to me noting that the fares were set primarily to fund future infrastructure - which may or may not ever eventuate, and which may not ever be utilised by me. That was the supposed justification for my 60% fare increase the last 3 years.

The issue I have is that the fares are NOT based on value for money for a trip from A to B. Hence why we are in the top 3 most expensive public transport systems in the world, where, in many cases, it is cheaper to drive than to use public transport.

In no other industry or business, do you get charged for a service or facilities that may or may not ever be implemented.

Why would I take my family from the Gold Coast to Brisbane by train on a weekend, when the cost of petrol and parking, along with the convenience and comfort of the same, is half that of public transport ? The back of my house overlooks the train lines - the 6-car trains are largely empty all weekend. No-one uses them for the cost.

I've argued with the previous Government, and emphasised to the media, that if a journey from A to B was value for money, more people would utilise public transport.

Being a regular commuter, my colleagues and I all utilise the short trips on a Mon & Tue, allowing me to save around $60 p/w, having free trips from Tue evening for the rest of the week. I have no remorse. And I disagree entirely that I am causing a "drain", causing hardship for others. For the simple fact that where I previously commuted for some 12 years, for the SAME distance, the weekly cost of a ticket, purchased on a periodical basis, is around $65 p/w, which is what I am paying now using the benefit of the short trips.

Interestingly, the fare increases on that commute have increased $1 p/w, annually for the last 15 years, from $40 p/w to now around $65 p/w (taken from the train service web-site, including historical data). My commute cost here, for the SAME distance, is almost $120 p/w. Value for money ? No...especially considering a rise of $45 p/w in the last 3 years, from $75 p/w to now almost $120 p/w. All this with no extra services, but additional stops, which increases congestion on board.

I don't agree with the petition - but agree the ENTIRE fare structure needs overhaul, not just some parts. Periodical fare structures must be introduced. Regular commuters should receive some benefit of daily patronage without having to stuff around with short trips. We should be able to purchase "x weeks of travel", for which unlimited travel is allowed within specified zones, as per other states.

And two more years of 5%-10% fares rises are yet to come, as we're only in year 3 of the 5 year plan. If nothing is done soon, public transport here will go the way of the monorail in Sydney !!!

This fare structure cannot continue in its current form.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
Welcome Seasoned Traveller.

Thanks for your comments.  The petition is a way of driving a review.

One of the issues with the go card system as it is, it is not capable of supporting periodicals I have been informed.

A reduction in the flag fall across all zones, making the base fares cheaper.  Family/group ticketing, better deals for seniors and all health care card holders.  Bring back the 50% reduction after x journeys (I favour 8) will reduce the fares for all (except the Monday rorters) but paradoxically drive patronage increases and improve the fare box.  Increase off peak to at least 30% discount.

I agree
... This fare structure cannot continue in its current form ...

hence the petition ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline Gazza

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
for which unlimited travel is allowed within specified zones, as per other states.
Not in Perth.

IMO Periodicals are a form of cross subsidy. To give discounts for some people (In other words, people on higher incomes who can afford to pay for a periodical up front) means that prices have to be higher for the people not using the periodical.

The best policy is simply to calculate what the cheapest price they can set the fare at responsibly (the base fare), and then give that rate to everyone.
I'd much rather see most of the population at least using PT some of the time, than have a only a small portion of the population using it hardcore.
And the way to achieve that is to have the base fare as low as possible, so that the barrier to entry to the system is reduced.

I mean, if a zone 1 ticket was actually good value for money, like $2 or so, would you even need a further discount if it's that cheap?

Any discount for frequent use should be in the form of a cap/price reduction after a certain number of trips calculated automatically...Having to line up at a machine to 'load' a periodical is dumb because.

-A 'smart' card should be more than capable of applying the best fare automatically.

-Loading periodicals requires you to pre-empt your travel, which is difficult to many. Uni students for instance have irregular travel, lectures get canceled, random out of zone trips are common...I could never get a weekly under the old paper system, because they only are good for people doing the same set trip every day, whereas I lived in Z4, worked Z12, Uni Z2, but some days per week went into the CBD Z1. It was unfair because I was very much a heavy PT user.

Increase off peak to at least 30% discount.
I contest that this increase in discount would even be noticeable though.

Eg from Oxley to Roma St you save 84c under the current 30% discount.
If it were boosted to 30% you'd save $1.28....A mere 44c difference.

If someone was deciding between car or train, tiny amounts of money like that won't be enough to change travel patterns.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
Presently 20% off peak on the go card, 30% is a minimum, would like to see it higher but unlikely I expect.

30% was the old off peak discount on paper, and seems to make a difference.

The CRR Review made a recommendation with respect to off peak fares.  Nothing else not withstanding, I expect an increase in the off peak discount if they push ahead with the 7.5% increase in January 2013.
  Bob's Blog

Offline Seasoned Traveller

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
Cheers Bob.

Apologies Gazza...I'd not considered WA, but more the eastern seaboard states !

For me, it all comes down to my original premise. For people to utilise public transport, it has to be a more cost effective option than driving. Currently it isn't.

It's sad when colleagues and friends that commute, are all looking to source work locally...purely on the premise of insane public transport costs. Not family, not personal, not job. But cost. I have no problems with the commute, and I love my job. But I'm also looking to source work locally to get off the trains and back into my car (sorry other road users, I'll be joining you soon), and I know so many that already have. The current fare structure is driving people away in droves.

And in patronage continuing to decline, the cost to the remainder will continue to rise, as the shortfall is passed on amongst those left.

Rather than half the commuters paying double the ticket value, maybe the Government should consider aiming for double the commuters at perhaps three-quarters the ticket value. The former continues to drive people away, when the premise should be the latter - to attract people to use.

somebody

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Seasoned Traveller,
For me the major limitation with the current fare structure is that it is not able to charge the most expensive 10 journeys per week at the full rate.  Other than that, the major problems are charging too much particularly for short journeys.

As for people looking to live more sustainable lifestyles by working nearer where they live due to the long distance fares, I give the policies a point for that <ducks>.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 03:21:54 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

4th October 2012

Greetings,

Many concerned citizens have signed our petition calling for a review of fares on the TransLink south-east Queensland system.  Obviously this is a major issue, supported by much feedback.

The petition is here --> http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

If you could continue to promote this petition this may assist in the turning the corner of fare mediocrity, inequitably and fare-box leakage.

To summarise why a fare review is needed, some tweets:

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

So much wrong with fares, Seniors, Families, Health Card card holders, fare box leakage, extreme fare costs @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

=================

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Health care cards and concession fares around the nation --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9124.0 … @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

=================

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Current family/groups tickets in state capitals --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9123.0 … @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

=================

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Current Senior fares in state capitals --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9122.0 … @scottemersonmp @TransLinkSEQ

==================

Thanks,

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
  Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
From the Couriermail click here!

Rail Back on Track launches petition for fare review

Rail Back on Track launches petition for fare review

by: Sherine Conyers, City News
    October 05, 2012 12:00AM

RAIL Back On Track says enough is enough and it's time to fix the public transport fare structure.

The commuter advocacy group has launched a petition online which calls for a review of the fare system, arguing that "go card has an excessive base fare cost with considerable fare box leakage due to easily manipulated fares.''

Spokesman Robert Dow said that for too long public transport had remained expensive.

"Brisbane at the moment is about the third most expensive in the world.

"The evidence is overwhelming: the fare structure and fares are completely off the rails,'' he said.

Mr Dow said it wasn't a balanced structure when "cashed-up commuters'' could manipulate the go-card system by taking short trips to reduce overall fares across the week.

Instead he said the base-fare should be reduced to around $1.55 per zone, the the off-peak discount should increase to 30 per cent and free travel should be scrapped, with a return to discounts after eight journeys.

"Queensland is the only state that doesn't offer concession public transport fares to all Health Care Card holders.

"We think it's fairly outrageous that someone on Newstart can't access a concession to go get a job, but cashed-up commuters can rort a few lunch time journeys to get a cheaper commute.

"And pensioners just want something straightforward,'' he said.

As part of last month's State Budget, Transport Minister Scott Emerson announced $1.6billion investment in the 2012-13 Budget which included $39million over four years to deliver free travel after nine weekly journeys and $158.2million over four years to halve Labor's proposed fare hikes in 2013 and 2014.

Money was also allocated to retain the Travel Train concessions for pensioners and seniors.

To view the petition go to gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:40:33 AM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

somebody

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Hmm, looks like the main points did indeed get into that article.  Which is good.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
Hmm, looks like the main points did indeed get into that article.  Which is good.

:-t :-c
  Bob's Blog

Offline Gazza

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »
Instead he said the base-fare should be reduced to around $1.55 per zone,
:-[ Might need to refine that line, someone in the comments interpreted that as going up by $1.55 each zone, and complained that would make a Z4 fare $2 more expensive.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
:-[ Might need to refine that line, someone in the comments interpreted that as going up by $1.55 each zone, and complained that would make a Z4 fare $2 more expensive.

Mis quoted ...  the point was take off $1.55 every zone  ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »

Instead he said the base-fare should be reduced by around $1.55 per zone,

onelittle word makes all the difference ...
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »

Instead he said the base-fare should be reduced by around $1.55 per zone,

onelittle word makes all the difference ...

Yes indeed FF.  It is not a perfect world ...

However, grateful that CM has highlighted our little petition .. LOLOL  funny tonight, I was travelling between Ippy and Goodna and it was an IMU (177 i think, might have been the forward trip), and the loo was operational so I had a wee on principle!!   :lo :bo
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:24:11 AM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »
More than 400 signatures now. Doing well!

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
From the Queensland Times 6th October 2012 page 5

Here's a shock: Higher fares put off rail users

Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Queensland Times Opinion (editorial)

Note to MPs: We all rely on public transport

Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »
Sent to all outlets:

6th October 2012

Re: Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now!  - Petition

Greetings,

Many hundreds of citizens have signed the petition calling for a fare review ( http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html ).  Despite assertions from the Minister for Transport that the nine and free is successful, the reality is people want a balanced equitable fare structure.

To point to the fact that 200,000 free trips are now being done weekly as evidence of success is flawed.  Many of those trips are just the normal work day commute, and for those who can manipulate the fares to offset longer journeys.  Fare box leakage means less overall revenue, less funding for services and the continuation of fare price increases much greater than the CPI.

TransLink has said themselves that affordability is a major issue.  Further fare increases of 7.5% is just going to compound and worsen the present unaffordability.

Time to cut to the chase.  The former ALP state government introduced the 10 paid journey and free, more as a desperate political move rather than a measured implementation of a sound fare system.

The LNP just simply chose to follow the flawed system and move the cap from 10 to 9 journeys.   Time to face up to the fact that the fare system is off the rails and it is time to put in place fares that are socially and economically responsible.

A suggested fare system:

1.   Take a $1.50 off all go card adult fares (concession  75 cents).  Zone one fare adult peak is then $1.55.

2.   Bring back 50% fares after 8 paid journeys in a week.  This means that those people who presently enjoy a free journey home on the Friday will still effectively have that as Friday will be two journeys at 50%.
People will still be able to offset their travel but importantly a fare box will still be achieved.

3.  Increase off peak discount to at least 30%.

4.  Give Seniors free travel during the off peak and weekends/holidays.  Normal concession fares in the peak.

5.  Introduce a family/group go card ticket - up to two adults and 5 children for 1.5 adult fare.  (see  Call for a group/family go card ticket on the TransLink network http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=8759.0 )

6.  Give concession public transport fares to all Health Care Card holders.

7.  For 2013 and 2014, abandon the 7.5% fare increases and stick to CPI only.

8.  Withdraw paper ticketing and sell preloaded go cards on all buses, as well the usual outlets.  The present fares for paper single tickets are an obscenity.

It is important to lower the flag-fall and make relative costs between zones in better balance.   This suggested fare scheme is easily done on the present go card system, no additional major programming modules needed.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:16:08 PM by ozbob »
  Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 06:28:22 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

7th October 2012

More evidence as to why fares need a major overhaul ..

Greetings,

Poll at Brisbanetimes --

Poll: Would you rather receive free fares after nine trips each week or simply have the cost of public transport reduced?

Free fares - it encourages more use 18%
Cheaper fares - it's simpler and fairer 82%

Total votes: 407

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/free-fares-not-blowing-hole-in-budget-emerson-20120731-23bdd.html#ixzz28YJX57up

Yes, it is not rocket science ...

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

Sent to all outlets:

6th October 2012

Re: Fare Review for TransLink South-East Queensland now!  - Petition

Greetings,

Many hundreds of citizens have signed the petition calling for a fare review ( http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html ).  Despite assertions from the Minister for Transport that the nine and free is successful, the reality is people want a balanced equitable fare structure.

To point to the fact that 200,000 free trips are now being done weekly as evidence of success is flawed.  Many of those trips are just the normal work day commute, and for those who can manipulate the fares to offset longer journeys.  Fare box leakage means less overall revenue, less funding for services and the continuation of fare price increases much greater than the CPI.

TransLink has said themselves that affordability is a major issue.  Further fare increases of 7.5% is just going to compound and worsen the present unaffordability.

Time to cut to the chase.  The former ALP state government introduced the 10 paid journey and free, more as a desperate political move rather than a measured implementation of a sound fare system.

The LNP just simply chose to follow the flawed system and move the cap from 10 to 9 journeys.   Time to face up to the fact that the fare system is off the rails and it is time to put in place fares that are socially and economically responsible.

A suggested fare system:

1.   Take a $1.50 off all go card adult fares (concession  75 cents).  Zone one fare adult peak is then $1.55.

2.   Bring back 50% fares after 8 paid journeys in a week.  This means that those people who presently enjoy a free journey home on the Friday will still effectively have that as Friday will be two journeys at 50%.
People will still be able to offset their travel but importantly a fare box will still be achieved.

3.  Increase off peak discount to at least 30%.

4.  Give Seniors free travel during the off peak and weekends/holidays.  Normal concession fares in the peak.

5.  Introduce a family/group go card ticket - up to two adults and 5 children for 1.5 adult fare.  (see  Call for a group/family go card ticket on the TransLink network http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=8759.0 )

6.  Give concession public transport fares to all Health Care Card holders.

7.  For 2013 and 2014, abandon the 7.5% fare increases and stick to CPI only.

8.  Withdraw paper ticketing and sell preloaded go cards on all buses, as well the usual outlets.  The present fares for paper single tickets are an obscenity.

It is important to lower the flag-fall and make relative costs between zones in better balance.   This suggested fare scheme is easily done on the present go card system, no additional major programming modules needed.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
  Bob's Blog

Offline Stillwater

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:32 AM »
In earlier story, almost half the respondents said they were concerned about the cost of fares.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/government-launches-bus-review-20120723-22keo.html

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 07:26:26 AM »
In earlier story, almost half the respondents said they were concerned about the cost of fares.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/government-launches-bus-review-20120723-22keo.html

Yes, it is the key issue - affordability, a fact now acknowledged by TransLink.
  Bob's Blog

Offline kazzac

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »
it costs me about $45 to fill the tank of my 1998 Toyota Starlet and a full tank of fuel usually lasts about 2 weeks[driving to/from work every day]when I was using PT was paying $35.80 a week in fares. then $32.20 after the 9 journeys then free  was introduced.No wonder most people whom signed petition said that driving to work is cheaper than  current PT  fares!
only an occasional PT user now!

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »
Letter to the editor published Queensland Times 8th October 2012

Petition on fares gains support

I would like to thank QT and your readers for the support so far given to our petition calling for a review of the fares for public transport in south-east Queensland.

A considerable number of Ipswich based citizens have signed the petition, thank you. 

This reflects the concerns that many have with a fare system that is driving people away from public transport.

Please consider signing our petition which can be accessed online.

Search for gopetition and click on the translink south-east Queensland link.

Seniors, health care card holders, families and workers are hurting.  Lets drive a change for the better!

ROBERT DOW
RAIL Back On Track

=============

Direct links to petition -->  http://bit.ly/PJDsNr

or http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fare-review-for-translink-south-east-queensland-now.html
  Bob's Blog

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 02:23:37 AM »
Sent to all outlets:

9th October 2012

Re: More evidence as to why fares need a major overhaul ..

Greetings,

Yesterdays revelations of auto-topup issues with the go card will further undermine confidence in our fare system.  There are constant fare glitches with the go card system, and it is important that all users register their go cards and monitor their travel histories, and seek adjustments when warranted.

It is kind of crazy when TransLink indicates fare affordability is a major issue (TransLink Annual Report 2011/12  http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/2011-12-annual-report.pdf page 71), but the Government intends to compound the unaffordability by further price rises of 7.5%.  Patronage has nose dived, attempts to "buy" patronage with the illusion of  " free trips " is just leading to massive fare box leakage, and massive dissatisfaction  with the public who are paying some of the dearest up front fares in the world for a public transport system that is characterized by poor overall frequency and failing connections.

It is pointless conducting bus reviews, rail reviews, without considering the failing fare system, and acting to fix it!

Other states do it much it better.   Why is Queensland such a transport failure?

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
  Bob's Blog

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan