• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

The Transport Minister Mr Emerson will be on 612 ABC Breakfast after 7am this morning ...

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

From the Couriermail 18th March 2013 page 10

Schools hit by bus changes

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 18, 2013, 05:58:41 AM
The Transport Minister Mr Emerson will be on 612 ABC Breakfast after 7am this morning ...

Twitter

Scott Emerson ‏@scottemersonmp

About to go on @612brisbane's Spenser Howson program to discuss bus review. Available on Twitter until 8am for yr questions. Use #goNetwork

minbrisbane

Quote from: Simon on March 17, 2013, 18:21:29 PM
Quote from: joninbrisbane on March 17, 2013, 17:37:23 PM
Yes, the standard will be rolled back - for the greater good imho
I completely disagree with this argument.

- however the span of hours appear that they will still be pretty much as they are now. 
This is incorrect.  Current 345 & 385 & 180 are going back to about 10pm.  Last 345 leaves the CBD about 11:40pm now.

Current non BUZ last 350 leaves the CBD at 11:35pm, 125 at 11:45pm, 325 at 11:50pm.  The routes replacing these services are all planned to finish around 9pm according to the report.

Now perhaps the report doesn't mean what it says, but it's pretty unsatisfactory to assume that.

I will concede that the report does not confirm whether those routes with service before 0700 and beyond 1900 (as per indicative span of hours column) will still be frequent, however as they're part of the go network, one could assume they will still be frequent. 
Well the report clearly states (top of P24):
QuoteFor this reason TransLink proposes to target the frequent network to operate at 15 minute or better
frequencies only in those periods and locations where it is warranted.

Honestly, I don't know why you are arguing this point.  It's ridiculous!

However, as I said before, this discussion is quite pointless until TL release more information/clarification.
Given that you are ignoring the facts in front of you, this particular discussion is pointless, yes.

Not going to lie, I skimmed the report on top of my other uni readings.  I've actually found some more supporting information (bottom of p.23).  I'm on the phone and can't quote it. 
Amongst other things it mentions that the services will be frequent 7-7-7, and will operate along those lines but in 'most cases' will be at a reduced frequency outside of those times.  (Exactly the opposite what I was thinking) If that's implemented it'll beyond logic!

I still do believe most of the changes (route wise) are for the greater good, but; the routes need to.frequent in the early AM and late PM to be effective.

I stand corrected!  ^_^

ozbob

Twitter

Jeff Addison ‏@Jeffrey_Addison

Protest aims to save bus service. Sunshine Coast Daily, p4. #goNetwork http://t.co/iyQIcdYsl3

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 18, 2013, 05:58:41 AM

612 ABC Brisbane Breakfast with Spencer Howson

Transport Minister Scott Emerson takes calls on the bus review

Click --> here!

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 18, 2013, 07:58:46 AM
Twitter

Jeff Addison ‏@Jeffrey_Addison

Protest aims to save bus service. Sunshine Coast Daily, p4. #goNetwork http://t.co/iyQIcdYsl3

Online Sunshine Coast Daily --> Protest aims to save bus service

============

Hmmm, some confusion?

A tweet ...

===================

Twitter

Scott Emerson ‏@scottemersonmp

@Jeffrey_Addison Always happy to speak to SC Council about a service for the area. It was a trial service and council pulled their funding.

ozbob

Some feedback received re 411, thanks ..

QuoteThere are a lot of locals upset about the demise of the 411 bus route
through St Lucia and down Gailey Road into the city.

It seems strange to encourage more cars onto the road by the demise of
this service.

Would your organisation consider a proposal of a shuttle bus from the
Uni along the route of the 411 which terminates at Toowong Station?

It this was given road priority in peak eg a transit/T2(3) lane along
Benson Street it would get more cars off the road and aligns with your
comments on the 444 route and Indooroopilly station.

Gazza

It could work, but I think the 411 is a bit too close to the CBD for an interchange to save any time...Plus express trains don't stop at Toowong.

#Metro

As a former resident of that area and former 411 passenger, I would strongly support a shuttle because it would have almost BUZ frequency, double the frequency for no extra cost. express trains at toowong are not required when one considers that its just two stops to the CBD and only takes about 9 min or so anyway.  Heaps transfer from 402 and 412 already and the option to go by bus to the CBD is still there by changing to 412. Not everyone works in the city so workers at toowong also save 15 mins due to increased frequency.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

SteelPan

It may be considered a "moot point" but, I believe future bus numbering should, where-ever possible, return to the same numbering used historically in Brisbane (ie, tram days).  Simply put, that is how a city, how a people, honour the past, build their history and sense of shared community experience and above all, deepen their knowledge of the city's bus network by long-standing exposure to consistent numbering and it was therefore a mistake to previously renumber routes.

Also, does anyone please have a link to more information for the proposed #99 (outer loop service)?

Thanks in advance.
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

Gazza

^Nah. Disagree. The current system is easy to understand. None of that touchy feely stuff.

100- Southside
200 -Eastside
300 -Northside
400 -Westside
500 -Ipswich & Logan
600 -Peninsular & Sunshine Coast
700- Gold Coast

I do think the 900 series should be used for special routes like Rail Replacements.

SurfRail

I'd like the 800s to be used for regional Queensland services, 900s too if there isn't enough room to do it cleanly (there might not be).  If it's all being done from the same shop now, the timetable formats should be the same, go card should be available state-wide etc.

When you go to WA, every regional bus system is on SmartRider, the timetables all look identical, the regional buses are even painted silver and green now.
Ride the G:

#Metro

Let's have roman numerals!  :bna:

C- Southside
CC -Eastside
CCC -Northside
CD -Westside
D -Ipswich & Logan
DC -Peninsular & Sunshine Coast
DCC- Gold Coast

Going for a night out in the Valley?  Catch the CXI and change to a CXCIX to the Valley  :-c

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

HappyTrainGuy

Sweet jesus! I just want a kebab and a bus to get me home. Screw it I'll just sleep on the train till I sober up :-r

Golliwog

Quote from: SteelPan on March 18, 2013, 21:22:01 PM
It may be considered a "moot point" but, I believe future bus numbering should, where-ever possible, return to the same numbering used historically in Brisbane (ie, tram days).  Simply put, that is how a city, how a people, honour the past, build their history and sense of shared community experience and above all, deepen their knowledge of the city's bus network by long-standing exposure to consistent numbering and it was therefore a mistake to previously renumber routes.

Also, does anyone please have a link to more information for the proposed #99 (outer loop service)?

Thanks in advance.
I'm honestly not that fussed on how they number it. Learning new route numbers for what are existing routes though is probably going to be the hardest part of it all.

As for the #99 outer loop, I remember looking it up before but can't remember which route maps it appears in. The easiest way I found to check those is to not type any route into the Translink search function so all the routes are listed, then use your browsers search function (Ctrl+F) usually, and search on "99" to find it in the comments for various routes. That's how I found most (but not all) of #205 from Banyo to Keperra.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

From the Couriermail Quest click here!

Possible cuts to bus services have raised the ire of public transport users

QuotePossible cuts to bus services have raised the ire of public transport users

by: Douglas Estwick, South-West News
    March 19, 2013 12:01AM

Local commuters could be facing wholesale changes to transport services if TransLink presses forward with proposed changes to bus routes.

Among routes under scrutiny are the 598 and 599 Great Circle Line and the 104 service.

The 104 operates from Corinda to the PA Hospital via Tennyson but would be eliminated under the latest proposal, leaving commuters travelling from Corinda with a peak-time service from Sherwood to the PA Hospital via Oxley. Alternatively, they must take a bus to Yeerongpilly, then transfer to a train.

The 598 presently runs between Garden City, Carindale, Airport Village, Chermside, Brookside and Indooroopilly. It operates along Sherwood Rd, Rocklea, and one of the key stops on the way is the Brisbane City Markets, which attract more than 10,000 visitors.

The review recommends the 598/599 service be broken into six segments but none will operate along Sherwood Rd, to the dismay of Brisbane Markets.

Market spokeswoman Vanessa Kennedy said a submission would ask for the reinstatement of a Sherwood Rd service. "We have 3500 people doing business daily and it will affect staff in the shopping precinct," Ms Kennedy said.

Transport advocacy group Rail Back on Track will join the appeal for a bus on Sherwood Rd and one linking Corinda to Yeerongpilly. West region spokesman Gavin Seipelt believes the review would lead to a better transport network.

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson

Feedback delivering a better bus network

Public feedback is building Brisbane a better transport network with the Newman Government delivering on the first round of passenger comments from the Bus Network Review.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said six changes to improve the recommendations had already been identified during the first week of feedback.

"This is a genuine feedback process and the first 5000 submissions are already informing the final shape of the network," Mr Emerson said.

"We will continue to act on areas that we think are obvious omissions to give people certainty.

"Last week I asked TransLink's planners to look at how they can ensure they retain bus access to Greenslopes Hospital."

Mr Emerson said other changes in response to public feedback included:

·         Restoring peak express services on route 444 between Moggill and Brisbane CBD

·         Retaining the current route 411

·         A new service connecting Dornoch Tce, West End with the PA hospital.

·         Retaining the current route 381

·         Restoring connection to west Toowong previously serviced by routes 416 and 470.

"Overall our plan to increase the number of high-frequency services from 19 to 26 has received a lot of support," he said.

"It's also important that we listen to the community to meet its needs as part of the less-frequent secondary network."

The Bus Network Review recommended increasing the number of high-frequency routes, bringing Brisbane's network into line with leading world cities.

The review of south east Queensland's bus services was ordered by Mr Emerson last year after figures showed patronage dropping on 13 of 16 south east Queensland operators, as well as rising costs, which were being paid for by Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare hikes.

Under the distinctive looking GoNetwork the Newman Government will be delivering high-frequency bus services to more than 800,000 people in Brisbane and also to the Gold Coast for the first time.

Submissions can be made online at www.translink.com.au or by phoning 13 12 30 until April 7.

[ENDS] 19 March 2013

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

19th March 2013

Re: Feedback delivering a better bus network

Greetings,

Well done on announcing some modifications to the proposed bus changes. As we have suggested from the outset important to give feedback either via the web [ http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review ] or telephone 131230.

More needs to be done however to explain the major benefits of the clean slate for the bus network [ see http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9740.0 ].  The proposed bus changes will transform our public transport network and position it properly for future efficient growth.  It will properly support rail which is where our untapped bulk capacity waits.  We are moving from the old outdated direct service model to a properly connected network with more frequent services at long last.

The bus review is the best thing to happen to public transport in SEQ since the introduction of integrated ticketing in 2004!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 05:35:42 AM
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson

Feedback delivering a better bus network

Public feedback is building Brisbane a better transport network with the Newman Government delivering on the first round of passenger comments from the Bus Network Review.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said six changes to improve the recommendations had already been identified during the first week of feedback.

"This is a genuine feedback process and the first 5000 submissions are already informing the final shape of the network," Mr Emerson said.

"We will continue to act on areas that we think are obvious omissions to give people certainty.

"Last week I asked TransLink's planners to look at how they can ensure they retain bus access to Greenslopes Hospital."

Mr Emerson said other changes in response to public feedback included:

·         Restoring peak express services on route 444 between Moggill and Brisbane CBD

·         Retaining the current route 411

·         A new service connecting Dornoch Tce, West End with the PA hospital.

·         Retaining the current route 381

·         Restoring connection to west Toowong previously serviced by routes 416 and 470.

"Overall our plan to increase the number of high-frequency services from 19 to 26 has received a lot of support," he said.

"It's also important that we listen to the community to meet its needs as part of the less-frequent secondary network."

The Bus Network Review recommended increasing the number of high-frequency routes, bringing Brisbane's network into line with leading world cities.

The review of south east Queensland's bus services was ordered by Mr Emerson last year after figures showed patronage dropping on 13 of 16 south east Queensland operators, as well as rising costs, which were being paid for by Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare hikes.

Under the distinctive looking GoNetwork the Newman Government will be delivering high-frequency bus services to more than 800,000 people in Brisbane and also to the Gold Coast for the first time.

Submissions can be made online at www.translink.com.au or by phoning 13 12 30 until April 7.

[ENDS] 19 March 2013

SurfRail

Route 381 I don't understand at all, the rest are reasonable.

Ride the G:

Old Northern Road

I don't think Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast should both be 600. It's over 100km between Strathpine and Noosa. I guess it's because there are so few bus services in Moreton Bay. It really should be 600 for Moreton Bay and 800 for the Sunshine Coast.

ozbob

Quote from: SurfRail on March 19, 2013, 06:15:42 AM

LOL Ashgrove ring a bell? 

newbris

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 06:46:15 AM

LOL Ashgrove ring a bell?

The electorate of Ashgrove maybe :) if anything it will be slightly worse for people who actually live in Ashgrove as it will affect the even loading and timing of the F6 ...all about The Gap single trip to CBD. Hope they do it by sub numbering in a F6a/F6b kind of way to keep the legibility high.

#Metro

Well, my VIP paris hilton rocket is being cut

ozbob

Yep time the 524 got boosted to 10 minute frequency 24/7 with a deviation to the roundabout at Storr Circuit, it is just so unreasonable to expect me to walk 600 metres to wait for an hourly bus in the heat of the day or when it is

Seriously, they need to be very careful with the tinkering though, they could end up with a much worse outcome ....

somebody

Quote·         Restoring peak express services on route 444 between Moggill and Brisbane CBD
Do they mean 443?  Or is the 444 staying but just at peak time - that wouldn't be smart.

It's probably to get the 385 back on Coopers Camp Rd, something which I endorse.

Why not 380 or 379?  Probably to keep the single route for a single road aficionados happy.

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on March 19, 2013, 03:15:19 AM

Possible cuts to bus services have raised the ire of public transport users

QuotePossible cuts to bus services have raised the ire of public transport users

by: Douglas Estwick, South-West News
    March 19, 2013 12:01AM

Pity the paper didn't include the commonsense suggestion that with the depot on the route section proposed to be eliminated, the lack of using the buses travelling to/from the depot is a waste.

Set in train

Has anyone heard back from Translink on proposed frequency and span of services? I am yet to.

somebody

Quote from: Set in train on March 19, 2013, 09:31:56 AM
Has anyone heard back from Translink on proposed frequency and span of services? I am yet to.
Of the secondary routes?  I don't think they've even decided that.

I think they have a point with Sherwood Rd services on a Saturday.  Not presently provided on a Sunday, are the markets open?

I imagine that this link is less used on weekdays.

Gazza

I actually told the interviewer that that's what they should do....use depot movements.

ozbob

Yes, plenty of opportunity there Gazza.  Unfortunately the media does its own thing, and that is fine.  We cannot control what actually gets published, as it should be. 

I would like to see something along there, I was thinking left field that may be the P109 could be extended to run up to Rocklea .. but to be useful would need to have some off peak frequency ( http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review/Route-104.png )

Simon, there is a huge flea market set up on Sunday opposite the fruit markets.  My wife has walked to and from Sherwood railway station on the Sunday, it is a long walk ...

ozbob

Twitter

Michael Coombes ‏@MichaelCoombes

6 changes to bus review by @scottemersonmp - 2 run through his electorate and 1 through @theqldpremier's electorate. @7NewsBrisbane

techblitz

Salisbury Senior Citizens plead with Translink to save bus service facing the axe

THE Salisbury Senior Citizens Club is calling on Translink to save its bus service after the transport provider flagged network cuts.

Translink has slated bus 124 for removal as part of its southeast Queensland bus network review, which is now open for public feedback.
Angela Ranke, Southern Star
March 19, 20138:41AM

#Metro

somebody

Quote from: techblitz on March 19, 2013, 11:59:03 AM

Salisbury Senior Citizens plead with Translink to save bus service facing the axe

THE Salisbury Senior Citizens Club is calling on Translink to save its bus service after the transport provider flagged network cuts.

Translink has slated bus 124 for removal as part of its southeast Queensland bus network review, which is now open for public feedback.
Angela Ranke, Southern Star
March 19, 20138:41AM

The S501 & S406 services will still go past the club, and frequent 23 about 500m away.  Perhaps that's too far for them to walk and they'd need to interchange to reach Moorvale.

I actually don't understand why the S501 doesn't go through Moorvale (by which I mean Beaudesert Rd @ Moorooka).

somebody

QuoteCity Hall calls for more changes to bus route proposals

Date
    March 19, 2013 - 12:03PM

Comments 4

Tony Moore
brisbanetimes.com.au senior reporter

Brisbane bus routes are set for a revamp.

Further changes are needed to the proposed overhaul of Brisbane's bus routes, Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said.

His comments came after Transport Minister Scott Emerson announced several changes to the proposals unveiled a fortnight ago.

Those changes are restoring the peak hour Moggill to Brisbane CBD 444 express service, the 411 University to Brisbane CBD bus, the 381 link from The Gap to Brisbane CBD link and bus services to areas of Toowong serviced by the 416 and 470 routes.

A new bus route will also run along Dornoch Terrace, re-connecting West End to the Princess Alexandra Hospital.
Advertisement

Local councillor Helen Abrahams welcomed the change, but questioned whether it still provided the same access as the old 192 and 198 service.

Cr Quirk said it was good to see the response but Brisbane City Council still believed other changes were needed.

"There are a couple of examples; the 100 bus route to Forest Lake and the single bus service to Lone Pine is another that we think needs to be re-instated," he said.

These routes were highlighted by Fairfax Media last week.

Since then, Mr Emerson has promised to keep bus links to Greenslopes Hospital, although a shuttle bus service was always retained under the proposed changes.

Brisbane's deputy mayor Adrian Schrinner last week suggested better use could be made of the large park-n-ride station at Chandler's Sleeman Sports Centre to take pressure from streets around Carindale Shopping Centre.

Cr Quirk encouraged all residents to look at the proposed changes on the Translink website to see how the changes affected them.

He said council public transport staff were in discussions with Translink's planners.

"We continue to communicate, but we don't always see eye to eye," he said on Tuesday morning.

"And I have always made it clear that my job is to stand up for the people of Brisbane.

"That is why I haven't given any endorsement to these changes."

Last week, Mr Emerson extended the community consultation period.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/city-hall-calls-for-more-changes-to-bus-route-proposals-20130319-2gcfa.html#ixzz2NxAvwuc3

#Metro

Oh god, scott emerson will have to call in noahs ark to save everything at this rate. Quirk should be asked to increase council rates.

somebody

Even though a couple of the .png files have been updated, the maps contained within haven't - only the comments at the top.  How pointless is that?

nathandavid88

I certainly hope that Emerson stands his ground and doesn't let BCC think that because he's caved on some changes, that he'll enact whatever changes Council wants. If a proper issue exists, rectify it, but only if there is an issue. Translink for the most part have done a very good job with this review, I don't want to see it ripped apart by politics.

I was wondering what people think of the Deputy Mayor's call for buses running from Carindale to start up the road at the Sleeman PnR? There are parking issues in and around Carindale, might this be a good idea?

ozbob

From The Satellite 20th March 2013 page 3

Review sparks rally

🡱 🡳