• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

QuoteSo you think late night is more important than daytime?

Yes, but by that token, we'd just kill off weekend services like Sydney and Melbourne and focus on weekdays and peak. Are weekdays and peak more important than weekends - you bet, and this has been the (failing) philosophy down south. Simon's point is that the trunk network late night standard is being watered down... the trunk network is supposed to be a PREMIUM level of service.

It is hard because it is a bit like saying "do you want to get the BUZ to Albany Creek or do you want late night services on existing routes?".

People's valuation of time isn't uniform throughout the day - when it is THAT late at night people want to get home and are willing to pay taxi level fares to get it. I also notice the late night services on 412 are being watered down slightly - I've caught the 412 late at night, last and second last services, and they have always had good load.

The graph on page 24 is somewhat misleading IMHO - firstly it assumes that patronage is the metric to be valued - while important, it is not the only one, convenience matters, as does safety as does the ability to trust that the system will ALWAYS be there to get you home no matter what. While there may be fewer people, the time saved for these people x a dollar value (adjusted for the fact that people would pay taxi fares to get home) would also be higher...

The graph is also somewhat deficient in that it compares two BUZ routes - where it should compare the two BUZ routes and perhaps two NON-BUZ routes as controls which meet the 7pm cutoff standard. I would like to see a graph comparing the BUZ 100 and 199 to say a "control" route such as the 110 late at night. I'm almost certain that the profile in the evening would be far empty...

Finally, any new BUZ service need only run frequent service to 7pm, after that time it could theoretically run no services and still appear on the map and be branded as GFN. I don't agree with this. While existing routes by and large keep their frequent late night service, future routes may not.

I agree with Simon.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Fares_Fair

For the Sunshine Coast, the biggest downside thus far is the loss of the Hinterland Connect bus services from Maleny, due to lack of patronage.
The attached Sunshine Coast Daily story from Wednesday February 20, 2013, shows that the service had around 11 daily passengers, so it doesn't really qualify as an air parcel.

These services will end in April.

What will these Maleny to Nambour travellers do now?
Maleny is right in the middle of the LNP heartland seat of Glass House, held by the Environment and Heritage Protection Minister, the Hon Andrew Powell MP...

However the service runs into the neighbouring seat of Nicklin, held by independent Peter Wellington.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

#Metro

There are a few options

1. Part time shift
Get someone who already has a job and pay them to run one service in the morning, one in the afternoon or similar.

2. Worker driver service (page 82, Human Transit, Jarrett Walker)

Quote"A worker-driver is a commuter who is hired by the transit agency to drive a transit route that matches their own commute and keeps the bus near their own home overnight..."
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Stillwater

If you are suggesting that Mr Powell will do anything, he is like a perforated prophylactic – bloody useless when it comes to public transport, even in his own backyard.

#Metro

Further to my point above:

http://www.humantransit.org/frequent-networks/page/2/

Hour-by-hour analysis of routes is especially misleading because ridership at each time of day depends on service availability another time of day; you won't use transit in either direction unless it's available in both directions at times you expect to travel, and if you're not sure when you come back, you care about the abundance and extent of the whole evening service pattern.  This is why cutting evening service -- which may have low ridership when analyzed trip by trip -- can damage a route's usefulness throughout the service day.]

^ This is almost exactly what TL has done when comparing BUZ 100 to BUZ 199, except they've done it in 15 minute blocks. The absence of a control non-BUZ route running over a similar area (i.e. route 110, or even 375 Bardon) suggests that the control has even worse profile than BUZ 100 in the evenings - even though it already meets minimum GFN standards.

I don't want to see current BUZ evening service watered down on current or replacement BUZ routes. Indeed it seems TL has given all the BUZ routes a haircut in the evening. GFN minimum standards for new GFN routes should be at least to 9 pm as people actually have lives outside work and the commute. I don't mind so much morning services being axed, but late night I see differently.

Gazza

QuoteI don't mind so much morning services being axe
So this statement really proves this debate is about personal values. You've given a personal account of why you like late night services, but have kinda dismissed morning users, simply because you probably don't have to get up early that often.

A morning user may not want to be standing around in the winter cold waiting ages, or may want to use the bus to do several errands in the morning, like go to gym and then go to work.

HappyTrainGuy

QuoteI don't mind so much morning services being axed, but late night I see differently.

??? How is early morning any different compared to late night?

#Metro

QuoteSo this statement really proves this debate is about personal values. You've given a personal account of why you like late night services, but have kinda dismissed morning users, simply because you probably don't have to get up early that often.

A morning user may not want to be standing around in the winter cold waiting ages, or may want to use the bus to do several errands in the morning, like go to gym and then go to work.

Of course it is about values, which is principally why Simon (and myself) are disagreeing with you. I think your 'concern' for morning users is rather faux, because if you wait a bit longer then all the huge service in peak hour is going to come along, whereas at night you are stranded until the next day...5, 6, 7 am or face a taxi bill... it has not been nice sitting at a bus stop or train station in the dead of night and then a loony comes up and waits with you for the next 30 minutes to one hour...

As for cold winter mornings, C'mon it's Queensland...

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: tramtrain on March 10, 2013, 20:57:19 PMI think your 'concern' for morning users is rather faux, because if you wait a bit longer then all the huge service in peak hour is going to come along

:fp:

#Metro

One thing I would suggest that may have escaped TL is to do a bus stop review I can't recall when bus stops were rationalised whole-of-network, possibly never, it would be interesting to see what a whole of network rationalisation would do and what the spacing should be. This is another way money can be saved - faster services means less fuel, less labour and if done over the whole of the network - possibly some extra capacity and more passengers due to faster average speeds network wide.

http://www.humantransit.org/2010/03/stop-spacing-the-endless-thankless-and-essential-struggle.html

Golliwog

I'm just going to come out and say, at the end of the day it comes down to how you spread your money, and to a large extent, I agree with Gazza. While for anyone using the late night services, frequency is useful it's more important that the service exists. Given where most of Brisbane's PT network is now, I'd much prefer they spread the service standard a little bit thinly so that more areas have decent coverage during the day and alright evening coverage, than focus on a few areas having amazing coverage into the evening and everyone else be damned. I think getting the bulk of the day time frequencies up across the network will do more to boost patronage that focusing on the evening routes, and this will in the future allow you to either expand the number of frequent routes again, or to boost the evening service standard.

While I agree there are some safety concerns, IMO a lot of it's a perception thing. Catching the train home at midnight last night we had a bit of a pause at Enoggera while the guard called over the train PA for security to make their way to the 3rd carriage, I was in the front so couldn't really see but things can happen at stations, things can happen during the trip. And equally, that loony can be on the train or at the bus stop with you during the day. I got to have a lovely chat for the whole train ride from FG to the city with a guy who started the conversation with how he'd been charged with 6 counts of grievous bodily harm, and this was around mid morning.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

bagbuffy

The early Morning services Mon-Fri, are just as important or even more important then having Buz Buses running every 15Mins empty at night. There are lots of workers that start their jobs early in the mornings, as well as workers needing to arrive early for work plus other types of  commuters for their reasons,  these people simply can't wait for Morning Peak Hour Services to begin.Translink should be offering big discounts to encourage  commuters to  travel between 5am-7am to help ease Peak Hour services and Congestions.

Pointing out safety concerns is a valid point, and not wanting commuters stranded at a stop in the middle of the night can be frightening. So by the standard you are setting then  all routes should be given a 15 Min Night service? Commuters along the 215/220 route have a 2 hour wait at night while 230/235 have a 1hr wait.

instead of running empty Buz buses at night, Translink could keep the  172  for the local community or start up a new route that services Greenslopes Hospital.   Example Langlands Park-Garden City Via Greenslopes Hospital (hourly services from 9am-4pm)

If the Buz Route warrants or any Route warrants a 15min Nightly service, then thats great. But if buses are running empty to only a couple of commuters here and there every 15Mins , then maybe the Buz route should goto 30Min nightly service.

Set in train

Gazza, thanks for your reply to the Councillor Griffiths e-mail I posted. Most interesting to read your responses and I agree with them.

So far, there have been no e-mails to community from independent Cr Nicole Johnston. LNP Holland Park, Cr Ian Mackenzie also quiet. Independent MLA Carl Judge also has not e-mailled his list.

Gazza, you mentioned 'marginal' BUZ routes 340, 120; how marginal is 120 as a BUZ? I thought loading figures posted on this fourm showed excellent growth?

In other interesting news, I was driving through Annerley on Saturday, A4 colour, typed posters have been gaffer taped to bus shelters. There is no 'authorised by' or any contact details/name listed. They are however written in the council font. Some sentences lack coherency.

morb

When it comes to Gordon Park services, it's definitely a shock to have your supposedly well-patronised 375 AND 376 cut.  :-w

If we are to transfer to this new S201 service, we will be waiting at a very lonely stop 22a (no active street frontage, poorly lit) in Bradshaw St.

HappyTrainGuy

Just some foam I have thought of.

Key:
Teal: F9 Aspley to City (extension to Carseldine Rail/Bus Interchange)
Red: F10 Taigum to City (extension to Carseldine Rail/Bus Interchange)
Yellow: F11 Chermside/Bracken Ridge (Split into two routes and modified to terminate at Carseldine Rail/Bus Interchange)
Green: S211 Strathpine to Chermside (untouched)
Blue: S212 Chermside North Loop (route change at Taigum to go along Church Road/Roghan Road/Carselgrove Ave. Not shown but send it down Ellison Road onto Newman road so it can access the rail/bus interchange at Geebung and then continue back onto Robinson Road because of the new overpass (Red dots mean the current bus stops. The interchange stops would be the ones closest to the station platform bridge))
Orange: S216 Brighton to Chermside (untouched)
Pink: SXXX Carseldine to Taigum via Bracken Ridge (Split from F11 and modified current 330)
Black: Railway lines. 4tph after the introduction of the MBRL services.
Grey: Ignore. Current 335 route that will get the chop.

You can see how well it would all mix between each other. Extending the 345/F9 to Carseldine would resume the bit that Gazza pointed out was removed from the 335 along with the bonus of being able to service the new council/government buildings and planned upgraded retail places at the old QUT campus. Carseldine could become a major interchange hub to many bus services and the added bonus of rail services. Railway access becomes alot easier from multiple locations. Add the Frequent routes to the West and the other routes like the S209 Chermside to Strathpine via Albany Creek, 210 Chermside to Indooroopilly, 680 Chermside to Redcliffe and the S214 Chermside to Mitchelton via Bridgeman Downs along with the future NWTC (if it ever gets off the ground) and it would look like a solid network for the North West, North and North East.

ozbob

Media release 11th March 2013

SEQ: More Efficiencies for More Fare Relief

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has applauded the recent SEQ Bus Network Redesign and is keen to see the drive for further public transport efficiencies and thus fare reductions continue.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The government's commitment to reinvest saving from a more efficient public transport network into fares and extended services has the full support of RAIL Back on Track."

"The current bus network is clearly unsustainable. It is operationally unsustainable because adding more and more buses to the system is causing huge congestion and delays in the city centre and roads.   It is financially unsustainable  because we cannot keep paying ever increasing fares, amongst the world's highest, and also some of the world's highest taxpayer subsidies for services."

"Speeding up buses and separating buses from general traffic congestion actually saves money and increases revenue collected by TransLink because passengers value speed and reliability. Every minute that a bus is delayed in traffic congestion because single occupant vehicles are prioritised, is passenger fare revenue lost and taxpayer subsidy money wasted on more fuel, more greenhouse gas emissions, more money on extra labour and extra buses that could all be avoided. In fact, such delays should be costed as a hidden subsidy to motorists."

"With the Go Frequent Network set to delivery 26 High Frequency Bus routes separating these bus routes from general traffic becomes even more important."

RAIL Back On Track calls for a package of initiatives to deliver a even more efficient public transport network including:

1. Painted lines at all busway stations (Cultural Centre already has this) to help buses getting in the way of each other, causing delays. This can be done overnight, very cheaply.

2. Transit lanes on all major arterial roads. The absence of a transit lane on the new northern busway is a major disappointment as full buses jump off the busway and then plunge straight into grinding congestion on Gympie Road. Total waste of time, fuel, labour and funds. Coronation 'congestion' drive, Sir Fred Schonell Drive, Ipswich Road along with other Brisbane arterial roads are obvious ones.

3. Space out bus stops - extremely close bus stop spacing means that buses are constantly stopping absolutely everywhere all the time while cars whiz by, BUZ 199, 196 and Sandgate road amongst others fall into this category. Proper, wider stop spacing increases speed which both reduces operating cost and increases passenger numbers.

4. All door boarding should be introduced on the BUZ network and at busway stations. Using all doors will cut boarding times and speed up services. More transit officers on buses will also assist.

5. Traffic light priority for BUZ services. You can prioritise cars or you can prioritise buses but by definition, you can't prioritise both. Save money and give buses priority!

6. Remove paper ticketing.

"Fixing public transport does not necessarily need to cost billions of dollars, require endless mountains of studies and feasibility investigations, or decades of waiting for 'big ticket' infrastructure to fix. Cheap, practical and obvious solutions can be implemented NOW."

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

References:

1. 2 Jul 2012: SEQ: Cut expensive fiesta of concrete - use bus lanes! http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=8679.0

2. San franciso: all-door boarding on buses! http://www.humantransit.org/2012/07/in-san-francisco-passengers-will-be-able-to-board-through-any-door-of-any-city-bus-as-they-have-long-been-able-to-do-on-ligh.html

3. 24 Jun 2012: SEQ: Time for paper to go? http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=8603.0
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

From the Couriermail click here!

Fare prices have been blamed for falling numbers of bus travellers and the subsequent loss of services

Fare prices have been blamed for falling numbers of bus travellers and the subsequent loss of services

by: Robyn Ironside
    March 11, 2013 12:00AM

THE State Government has released new figures on falling off-peak bus usage as it enters the last two weeks of consultation on its bus network review.

Released last week, the review proposes to reduce the number of bus routes in southeast Queensland from 446 to 335, but increase high frequency runs from 19 to 26.

Transport Minister Scott Emerson said during the past three years, off-peak trips typically dominated by pensioners and students, had slipped from 12.9 per cent of all journeys, to 12.7.

He said it was clear ongoing 15 per cent fare hikes were to blame.

"Students, pensioners and the elderly have been priced out of public transport," Mr Emerson said.

"Fares went up 15 to 20 per cent in 2010; those that couldn't afford it stopped travelling; revenue fell short; Labor had to keep putting up fares; and more people couldn't afford to travel.

"We are determined to break that cycle."

He said any money saved from the network review would go towards reducing next year's planned 7.5 per cent fare hike.

Funding for bus services increased 22 per cent to $580 million in the last three years but in the same period, patronage grew just 0.5 per cent.

However the Rail, Tram and Bus Union has condemned the proposed cutbacks to bus routes as a "criminal act against the people of Brisbane".

RTBU bus organiser Dave Matters said a lot of work had been done building up the (Brisbane City) Council network.

"We have a very good public transport network where the only issue we've got is the pricing," Mr Matters said.

"It now looks like they're going to bastardise the system, so nobody wants to use it. "

He said the changes indicated more people would be "thrown on to train services" or forced to switch services throughout their journey.

"Once you start expecting people to swap from bus to train, to bus to get where they want to go, they say 'this is too hard, I'll just use my car'," Mr Matters said.

"We don't think that's a wise way to run public transport services."

Feedback on the changes is being sought from today until March 24 at translink.com.au

MaxHeadway

So the RTBU are defending the obsession with single-seat journeys? Just when you think they couldn't be any more retrograde and disconnected from reality, they manage to outdo themselves every time.  :clp:

ozbob

Statement:

http://www.scottemerson.com.au/media/media-releases/290-labor-councillors-desert-vulnerable-again.html

Labor councillors desert vulnerable, again

Monday, 11 March 2013 04:48

Brisbane's Labor councillors are yet again deserting their most vulnerable constituents by failing to agree to the Newman Government's plan for frequent, reliable and affordable public transport.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said poor off-peak patronage over the past three years showed Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare hikes had priced students, elderly and pensioners out of public transport.

"Weekday patronage between 9am and 3.30pm was at 12.7 per cent of overall patronage, down from 12.9 per cent two years earlier," Mr Emerson said.

"Since 2010, Labor councillors have been silent while State Labor's fare hikes chased away off-peak passengers and created a network where every second bus has less than seven passengers.

"Recent comments by Labor Councillors Dick, Flesser and Griffith show they support waste and their state Labor colleagues' exorbitant fare increases."

Mr Emerson released recommendations from a six-month review into south east Queensland's bus services, including increasing the number of high frequency routes in Brisbane from 19 to 26.

He said funding for bus services increased by 22 per cent, to $580 million, in the final three years under Labor, but patronage flat lined.

"This was funded by Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare increase, leading to some of the most expensive bus fares in the world," he said.

"We've already delivered our commitment to halve Labor's fare hikes and want to do more if we can to deliver a more efficient network.

"Under these recommendations there will be more services operating across south east Queensland than there were in the final months under Labor.

"Labor councillors need to stand up for their most vulnerable and stop supporting state Labor's policy of on-going 15 per cent fare rises."

The full report, including proposed route changes will be available at www.translink.com.au and passengers will be able to provide further feedback from Monday, 11 March for two weeks.

SurfRail

Quote from: morb on March 11, 2013, 01:37:10 AM
When it comes to Gordon Park services, it's definitely a shock to have your supposedly well-patronised 375 AND 376 cut.  :-w

If we are to transfer to this new S201 service, we will be waiting at a very lonely stop 22a (no active street frontage, poorly lit) in Bradshaw St.

Actually I suspect the main transfer point would be at the existing bus stops on Lutwyche Rd owing to the routing they have adopted.  Mine went a slightly different way and would have caused the problem you have pointed out.
Ride the G:

minbrisbane

I'm really getting tired of 'it's all Labor's fault'.  Got to remember here that a heap of the waste is thanks to BCC - who was at the helm of BCC 2004 - 2011?

ozbob

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2013, 07:34:26 AM
Couriermail Quest --> Commuters are urged to comment on TransLink's SEQ Bus Network Review

Well done Cr Wines, obviously taken the time to dig into what is actually planned.

#Metro

Brisbane city council has a lot of explaining to do ... I think none of the councillors wanted to make cuts ever, and although they did do service reviews they also restricted that to a purely direct to city model, which its inherently wasteful.

Brisbane runs more bus routes than toronto, and in toronto, 98 % of buses terminate at train stations. The TTC s cost recovery is among world s best, with 70% cost recovery, dirt cheap fares, and trains every 5 minutes in the off peak. So I can't agree with the union.

somebody

Quote from: Gazza on March 10, 2013, 17:48:09 PM
So you think late night is more important than daytime?
I think late night is every bit as  important as daytime.  You might as well not have a branded service at all, like the current 375 and 204, if you are going to operate in this way.

Many fundamental errors in this review.  It's as though it's been written by someone neither from Brisbane nor with access to patronage data.

ozbob

ozbob

Public feedback is due to open up today.   Suggest anyone with concerns and comments give feedback.

The last round of feedback for Ipswich region had only 12 pieces of feedback!  I gave one which was implemented (extend the 514 into Booval Fair).  Another ignored - reintroduction of a modified 523.

It does seems that some of the Councillors are just adopting political positions rather than carefully examining what is happening and then making suggestions.

Frankly, many residents have to put up with woeful frequency and span of hours.  Redeploying some of the cream on the present BUZ routes to allow more people to actually use public transport is sensible.  My own 524 has 30 minute peak frequency and 60 minute off peak ...

ozbob

One of the best aspects of this review is that they intend to support rail at long last.  It makes no sense to compete, feeding the rail eg. at Oxley and Darra, and Indooroopilly is finally starting to get somewhere.  Rail patronage will start to climb which in turn will help to get the improvements needed on the rail network.

ozbob

As far as people not wanting to transfer, tough.  The reality is many commuters do that already and with an improved connective network, transferring becomes a lot less problematic.  We need to utilise the capacity that is there.

ozbob

Another point is that the proposed network is not obviously going to be the final form.  There will be ongoing changes and improvements no doubt.  But as a start point it is a good move.  To not implement reform just because some people feel there are issues is just going to further exacerbate the slide.  Just get on with it ...

ozbob

Quote from: Fares_Fair on March 10, 2013, 18:29:17 PM
For the Sunshine Coast, the biggest downside thus far is the loss of the Hinterland Connect bus services from Maleny, due to lack of patronage.
The attached Sunshine Coast Daily story from Wednesday February 20, 2013, shows that the service had around 11 daily passengers, so it doesn't really qualify as an air parcel.

These services will end in April.

What will these Maleny to Nambour travellers do now?
Maleny is right in the middle of the LNP heartland seat of Glass House, held by the Environment and Heritage Protection Minister, the Hon Andrew Powell MP...

However the service runs into the neighbouring seat of Nicklin, held by independent Peter Wellington.

I think strong feedback to TransLink needs to be given on this FF.  I will raise it as well.  I think it needs to remain at least until QConnect becomes TransLink and go card can be used on the services.  I am sure they will get a significant pax increase at that point as well.

Fares_Fair

Thanks Ozbob, I agree, it does serve a community purpose, with no other options available to them.

Sunshine Coast Daily, p7
Wins and losses to Coast bus network.
(story attached)
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Bus review feedback now open! --> https://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/gi/consultation/754/survey/950/view.html ... #qldpol #busreviewSEQ

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Bus review feedback now open! --> https://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/gi/consultation/754/survey/950/view.html ... #qldpol #busreviewSEQ

I made a quick feedback to see how it works, a little restrictive and the PDF generated was a failure ...  better let them know ..

Arnz

Have they even thought about "Flexi-Linking" the 'Hinterland Connect' service if patronage is that low?  10-12 people across 4 services a day averages 2.5-3 people a run, which is still enough for a 'subsidised' taxi, possibly even have a 'Maxi-Taxi' during special events.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

Media release 11th March 2013

SEQ: Response to RTBU on proposed bus changes

RAIL Back On Track disagrees with statements by the RTBU that proposed changes to a connective network will "barstardise" the system (1).

(Mr Matters of the RTBU said)  "people would be thrown on to train services" or forced to switch services throughout their journey.

"Once you start expecting people to swap from bus to train, to bus to get where they want to go, they say 'this is too hard, I'll just use my car'," Mr Matters said.

"We don't think that's a wise way to run public transport services."

Western Region Spokesperson Gavin Seipelt said in response:

"The fact is, the only reason commuters find changing from bus/bus or bus/train difficult in Brisbane is because so few connections are offered. No wonder making interchanges has a bad reputation in Brisbane!"

"For example, commuters wishing to access Oxley station previously only had 1 bus per hour feeding into it, so just 1 in 4 trains had a bus connection, so most people choose to drive to the station instead. Now buses will feed the station every 15 minutes with the expanded frequent network, and every train will be met. A huge improvement!"

"Similarly, providing connections to trains can help reduce travel times."

"For example, at the moment most buses from the Western Suburbs travel to the CBD via Coronation Drive and do not go anywhere near Indooroopilly station. This means commuters cannot change to the train at all, and they are stuck with at least 25 minute trip from Indooroopilly to the CBD in peak hour on the bus the whole way."

"Under the new network plan, buses will now go to the station. Passengers can change onto the express trains, and reach the CBD in just 8 minutes. A massive time saving!"

"Another example is Carindale and Chermside. These shopping centers are served by frequent services 222/200 BUZ and 333/330/340 BUZ respectively. But it is very difficult to access them because surrounding bus services feeding in are so poor. As a result there has been the well known controversy of commuters taking up parking spaces in the shopping centers, since this is the only way they can access the BUZ services reliably."

"Now the bus networks around these centres will be rearranged to run to the centers more directly and more often. Passengers can interchange to frequent buses to the city, rather than drive there and waste time trying to find a commuter car park space."

"These are just a few examples, but they demonstrate how changing between services actually makes travel easier, not more difficult."

"Changing between services will be a big change for some Brisbane public transport users, but the successful public transport systems around the world are built around this very approach, because it works!

Reference:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/fare-prices-have-been-blamed-for-falling-numbers-of-bus-travellers-and-loss-of-services/story-e6freoof-1226594302982

Contacts:

Gavin Seipelt
Brisbane West Region Spokesperson for RAIL Back On Track

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Mr X

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

There's no link for that on the TL website!

I just did a comment for the 192, the character limit is too low imho.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

There is, go to --> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review

Click on the ' provide your feedback ' link, it then appears ' Get involved ' ....

Mr X

The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Gazza

QuoteYou might as well not have a branded service at all, like the current 375 and 204, if you are going to operate in this way.
But those routes still get strong patronage despite an utter lack of branding.

🡱 🡳