• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Forest Lake <-> Mt Ommaney  high frequency cross suburban into frequent rail  - bobby dazzler ....
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2013/3/7/frequency-is-the-bus-word

Media Statements
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson
Thursday, March 07, 2013

Frequency is the bus word

Almost 800,000 Brisbane residents will live within walking distance of a high-frequency bus – to be known as the GoNetwork – under a Newman Government plan to build a better network.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the Bus Network Review would increase the number of high-frequency routes in Brisbane from 19 to 26, bringing Brisbane's network into line with leading world cities.

"During the consultation phases we received over 6,000 pieces of feedback and overwhelmingly passengers told us they want more frequent services and better fares," Mr Emerson said.

"Under the distinctive looking GoNetwork we'll be delivering high-frequency bus services to many regions – including the Gold Coast – for the first time."

"This plan means 100,000 more people will be living within 800 metres of a high-frequency bus service.

"Areas in Mt Ommaney, Toombul, Grange, Salisbury, Albany Creek, Riverhills, Morningside and Yeronga will receive a high-frequency bus service for the first time."

In July 2012, Mr Emerson asked TransLink to conduct a review of bus services after figures showed that patronage had declined on 13 of the 16 bus operators across south east Queensland.

In the final three years under Labor, funding for bus services increased by 22 per cent, to $580 million while patronage flatlined.

This was funded by Labor's on-going 15 per cent fare increase, leading to some of the most expensive bus fares in the world.

The review recommends a network of 335 routes across south east Queensland, compared to the current 446.

"Under our plan there will be more services operating across south east Queensland than in the final months under Labor," Mr Emerson said.

"Also by making a more efficient network we are looking for the savings to improve the fare structure.

"We need to improve the network, particularly where there are more than half of all buses carrying less than seven passengers while in other areas up to 80 buses a day leave people behind because they are too full."

Other recommendations, include:

·         A more simplified route number system, reducing duplication

·         Providing outbound routes heading in a similar direction with a superstop within Brisbane's CBD

·         Better integration between suburban buses and high-frequency bus or train services

·         Setting up the Gold Coast network to integrate with light rail

·         Fewer near-empty buses entering the CBD to address infrastructure constraints (eg. Cultural Centre)

The full report, including proposed route changes will be available at www.translink.com.au (external site)  and passengers will be able to provide further feedback from Monday, 11 March for two weeks.

[ENDS] 7 March 2013             

Gazza

I think the Michelton-CBD No7 route is a bit of a missed opportunity. I think it it should instead just go straight down to Toowong, with people using 385s or Maroon Gliders to reach the CBD.

HappyTrainGuy

Anyone notice that the 340 buz is missing  :D :D :D :D :D

Gazza

Quote from: ozbob on March 07, 2013, 12:44:07 PM
Forest Lake <-> Mt Ommaney  high frequency cross suburban into frequent rail  - bobby dazzler ....
Love it! That should take some of the parking pressure off these stations. They just need to promote it!

Also....590 to toombul  :bna:

Mr X

P88 + 111 + 160 + 555 all being amalgamated woot!
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Golliwog

Quote from: Gazza on March 07, 2013, 12:50:36 PM
I think the Michelton-CBD No7 route is a bit of a missed opportunity. I think it it should instead just go straight down to Toowong, with people using 385s or Maroon Gliders to reach the CBD.
I'm ok with that.

While I like the idea of new frequent routes 7 (Mitchelton-CBD) and 8 (Albany Creek-Mitchelton) feeding into Brookside and the train station, I'm hoping that when they implement these changes they extend the FG offpeak trial. Theres no point having a 4bph frequent bus trying to feed into a 2tph rail line.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

techblitz

well folks once again they havent budged on the bulimba buz.
Hard as nails and prepared to defend thier bulimba-tennerife connection at any cost. :-X

Gazza

Quote from: Mr X on March 07, 2013, 13:07:59 PM
P88 + 111 + 160 + 555 all being amalgamated woot!
In the fine print, it says that some will terminate at 8mp.
So in effect its the same thing, but they'll just have the one route number.

Who will operate it?

It also appears it will be via CCB  :bu<<<<<  :-t

Golliwog

Interesting development that I didn't see coming. Have a look at what's replacing the 360 (CBD to Mitchelton via all the backstreets of Herston and Everton Hills) http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review/Route-360.png

I'm looking at S99 in particular, the 'Outer Loop.' It seems to run Herston Rd, through the Valley, across the Story Bridge (then off the map) comes out of somewhere in West End, across the William Jolly, down Milton Rd, (under the legend box) not sure which street but one of the ones between Latrobe Tce and Musgrave Tce in Red Hill, then along Windsor Rd back to Herston Rd.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

nathandavid88

Regarding the 111/555 (Go Route 20?), at least 15 minute frequency to Loganholme, with additional services to 8MP (peak hour boosting I would guess), so yeah, it's just reducing the complexity. I just hope that it will be differentiated as GO Route 20A to 8MP or something. Will this mean that I'll see BT buses pull into Loganholme and Springwood? Or will the ones from Loganholme be Clarks, and from 8MP being BT (so While Route 20s and Blue Route 20s).

I was looking at Bulimba to see what they got, and they've given it an "almost high frequency: 30 mins freq, 7am – 7pm 7 days" route. It sounds like it's a bit of an improvement to me at least, but I'm not THAT familiar with the existing conditions.

Gazza

Yeah I do think the 230 has been a bit unfairly spited. It needs a 15 min frequency 7-7.
"Almost high frequency", is that like being "Almost pregnant"?

Mr X

I think the 230/235 is a reasonable comprimise and a big improvement on the current.
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Gazza

And I guess once you have decent routes in place, it means you have the basis for just adding more buses to boost patronage.

The 66/109 should be good, purely for the fact you;ll be able to interchange more easily at Roma St.

HappyTrainGuy

• 330/333 are finally merged. They've seen the light with the empty 330 buz running at night while the 333 had good loadings.
  • 340 has been merged and cut hooray!
  • Hopefully the traffic lights at Gympie Road and Hamilton Road will be addressed regarding access times onto Gympie Road otherwise the Frequent 10, Frequent 12 and the S216 will have issues. The crappy map doesn't help at all
  • The Chermside North loop would be better sending it down Ellison Road onto Newman Road so it can loop past the station interchange and then onto the overpass (can't be done from Robinson road)

A route from Geebung to Aspley could then be implimented to take up the missing 326/327/336/337
  • The S213 doesn't go past Sandgate or Shorncliffe stations (or so at least it looks like it from the map) in which case you have to ask why bother with it at all? Send it onto Friday street then into the station to use the drop off bay right outside the front entrance then back onto Kate street/Pier Ave. Opposite direction do the same thing but instead it turns left instead of right. Sandgate Station should be easy. Just run it straight into the station and have it loop back out like all the other northbound routes.
  • 310 is gone so it should be interesting to see how it handles the Sandgate Road-Hamilton Road intersection during peak hour
  • 77 has been scrapped despite it being a very fast route from the Northside to the Southside :(
  • Frequent 8 and the 209 seems promising. Hopefully the sudoku of the 338 timetable is a thing of the past. I also hope the 209 has the frequency at night for events at Eatons Hill as they would make a swindle of money from them
  • QuoteImprove integration between bus and rail
    TransLink has integrated the frequent bus routes with the rail network at Zillmere and Geebung. The Toombul and Webster Road frequent lines have been deliberately aligned to not compete with the existing frequent rail lines.
    Hopefully they provide decent interchanges at Geebung because newman road won't be a stright line for long.
  • Strathpine looks just as messy as it always has. I'd still like to see some routes merged like the 673 and 674 or 670 and 672
  • What the hell is going on with the S214
  • S210 seems promosing. Would also be interesting to see what develops later with the NWTC going through there

nathandavid88

On a different topic, anyone read about the CBD "Super Stops"? The initial idea is to rationalise the stops into the following:

KGS Busway: Ashgrove, Chermside, The Gap and Bracken Ridge

QSBS: Logan, Browns Plains, Mt Gravatt, Sunnybank

Adelaide Street (Eastbound): Hamilton, New Farm, Toombul

Adelaide Street (Westbound): Cannon Hill, Carindale, Redlands, West End

George Street: Bardon, Mt Cootha

Ann Street: Kenmore, Mt Ommaney, UQ 

Although the review says that additional Super Stops will probably be required (eg. along Elizabeth Street), and a lot of planning to make it work is needed (it is only an initial concept at the moment).

ozbob

Quote from: nathandavid88 on March 07, 2013, 13:46:31 PM
On a different topic, anyone read about the CBD "Super Stops"? The initial idea is to rationalise the stops into the following:

KGS Busway: Ashgrove, Chermside, The Gap and Bracken Ridge

QSBS: Logan, Browns Plains, Mt Gravatt, Sunnybank

Adelaide Street (Eastbound): Hamilton, New Farm, Toombul

Adelaide Street (Westbound): Cannon Hill, Carindale, Redlands, West End

George Street: Bardon, Mt Cootha

Ann Street: Kenmore, Mt Ommaney, UQ 

Although the review says that additional Super Stops will probably be required (eg. along Elizabeth Street), and a lot of planning to make it work is needed (it is only an initial concept at the moment).

Yes, I think they used a notional CBD super stop for the media launch ..

==============

Twitter

SteveMinnikinMP ‏@SteveMinnikinMP

Attended the media interview with Minister Emerson about the SEQ Bus Network Review. Time to build a better network. http://t.co/6kcfDAPhVf

ozbob

Quote from: skinny6 on March 07, 2013, 13:49:19 PM
Will existing BUZ services in the go network be constrained to 15min freq between 7 and 7? or will some span existing frequency?

No, as needed.  That is just a spin type line ...

Mr X

I like the new superstops, but a bit concerned about more buses on Adelaide St.

SurfRail

HOLY HELL.

They've actually done a very good job of this.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Golliwog

Quote from: Gazza on March 07, 2013, 13:43:54 PM
And I guess once you have decent routes in place, it means you have the basis for just adding more buses to boost patronage.

The 66/109 should be good, purely for the fact you;ll be able to interchange more easily at Roma St.
Not to mention the fact that this means UQ Lakes should be getting late night services and a proper weekend service. :bna:

Though less dancing from me as I'm no longer attending uni, but still, a definite plus.

Mr X

Bit disappointed at loss of 192, it had good patronage in the evenings but in off peak it was usually empty between UQ and west end. Could they have just kept it as a peak direction only service, eg. West End -> UQ in the morning and UQ -> West End in the evenings?

Bit of a waste as they just gave it a new turning lane from Gladstone Rd onto the Green bridge.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: skinny6 on March 07, 2013, 14:04:33 PM
You would think BT might need to transfer some HCV's to the north side depots for the Bracken Ridge to City route which amalgamates 330, 333 and 340.

If they use the existing 332/333 bays it souldn't be a problem as its a instant right hand exit instead of looping around the interchange. Also means the stupid 335, 330/340 buz don't use the same single bay creating chaos every arvo when they all arrive at the same time :P

nathandavid88

Quote from: ozbob on March 07, 2013, 13:51:31 PM
Quote from: skinny6 on March 07, 2013, 13:49:19 PM
Will existing BUZ services in the go network be constrained to 15min freq between 7 and 7? or will some span existing frequency?

No, as needed.  That is just a spin type line ...

If you read through the full review, they cover this issue quite well. Basically the idea is that by constraining the time the 15 min frequency is required allows Translink to better tailor frequency after hours to the required demand, rather than having a one-size fits all policy. To quote the document:

QuoteAnalysis of patronage data suggests the frequent network needs to operate at least 7am–7pm, 7 days per
week. This span ensures the frequent network will continue to meet the needs of commuters and interpeak
passengers, without committing to delivering high service levels in early morning and/or late evening
periods, when demands tend to drop in most parts of the city. Routes that currently experience solid
demands outside of the 7am-7pm span of hours will continue to receive 15 minute frequencies or better.

Ultimately, by committing to operate the frequent network for a span of 7am-7pm, rather than the current
span of 6am-11.30pm, TransLink can adjust service levels on the individual frequent lines to more closely
match the underlying demand, thereby ensuring available resources are assigned more effectively across
the network.

They used the example of the Route 100 vs Route 199, as after 7pm the boarding on the 199 were double that of the 100 for most of the evening. There's also a table that shows in intended span of the new high frequency routes, and most are either 5am–11pm, or 6am–9pm. Keep in mind that Nightlink services weren't included in the review.

ozbob

Gazza

Tune into 4BC at 4pm tonight  ;D

Gazza

411 to go...Not Sure about that one?  ???

SurfRail

The most amazing thing I have seen so far is that my idea for the 369 replacing the 375 along Richmond has been adopted!  (Minor variation to the streets used between Lutwyche and Kalinga, and they have extended the route into the Tradecoast area, but still...)

We must be onto something...
Ride the G:

nathandavid88

Ditching the 411 doesn't seem that bad to me... Looking at the map, it appears that the new Frequent Route 24 will largely replicate it along Coro Drive to Toowong, and the small area where it doesn't, you will have every secondary service route going to UQ to make up for it. *Disclaimer, I wasn't a UQ Student, so I don't know what bus services there were like to begin with.*

So, the big question, does anyone see any major omissions or major errors in this so far?

SurfRail

NEWSFLASH - ROUTE 314 CANCELLED!

What will we be able to complain about now?  :fp:
Ride the G:

Gazza

Whoops! Impossible bus route in Sinnamon Park!
http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review/Route-467.png

Sinnamon Rd is in Two parts, the bit in the residential area, and a Cul de Sac off Counihan Rd.
Sinnamon Rd  veers off and becomes Condamine Drive on the western side of the park:
http://goo.gl/maps/O5TvQ

Unless they plan to build a green link with bollards, or better still, use maglev buses.

Most likey, they'll just follow the current routing rather than the proposed one  ;)

achiruel

They merged the 200 and 222!  :bna: :hg

I'm glad that's one waste of money eliminated!

Quote from: Gazza on March 07, 2013, 12:14:51 PM
444 spites Moggil and goes to Mt Ommaney instead!

While I can partly understand this (let's face it, there's basically a pile of nothing between Kenmore and Bellbowrie), I'm wondering how F26 is going to handle all the passengers between Indooroopilly and the City.  Unless these buses are also going to have transfer options and Indooroopilly Station as well.

Gazza

I Liked that...a bus every 7.5 mins at 9pm on Sunday is stupid, and presumably they'll finally use the busway too, a win for Carindale heights.

verbatim9

Wow! they are getting rid of the 444 having a bus running to Uq only. They used to have that in the 70's before they extended the bus to the city. It was a pain changing at Indooroopilly all the time sometimes waiting up an hour for a connecting service out Moggill with the packed services coming from Uq and Indooroopilly High. Wander if the 500 which will replace the current service will operate past midnight out to Moggill Fri and Sat nights.  :-\

achiruel

Bad news...the 232 has survived, as S308  ::)

But on the plus side, at least it goes directly along Hawthorne Rd now, should be a reasonably quick trip from Bulimba <-> City via Story Bridge, which makes me wonder why they didn't make that the frequent route (not to Cannon Hill obviously).

13a and 13b now give good frequency along Wynnum Rd at least to Morningside...it's a start.

Gazza

I really like the Mt Gravatt to CBD network...A Busway service, a Logan Rd Service, and a Cavendish Rd service...It's like, the most elegant route structure possible.

achiruel

Don't forget the via Mansfield (#22) and via everywhere (S400)  :P

ozbob

Good interview Gazza, managed to listen to 4BC.   Well done!

:-t

SurfRail

Amazingly the 344 seems to have survived, as for some reason have most of the eastern suburbs peak hour routes. 

Hardly the end of the world though.  Overwhelmingly it looks good.
Ride the G:

🡱 🡳