• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Quote from: Mr X on December 04, 2012, 01:40:09 AM
I got rid of all the code, document has a lot of blank spaces but there isn't a whole lot I can do about that except manually deleting the gaps, which would take forever.

Thanks.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Media release 4th December 2012

SEQ: Bus network review Stage 2

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has welcomed the next stage of the Bus Review (1).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The bus network in south-east Queensland is long overdue for an overhaul."

"RAIL Back On Track has argued that the fastest, cheapest way to boost public transport is to introduce frequent and rapid services along main arterial road corridors, and increase rail and ferry services in existing corridors. This would require little or no new infrastructure, be rapid and quick to implement."

"Stage 2 of the bus review presents some suggested changes along these lines.  These changes are designed to provide the starting framework for a core very high frequency bus network along the major corridors, with local access services to the core very high frequency routes, as well providing the necessary local coverage bus routes. "

"As the core very high frequency bus network is established, more connections (transfers) will need to be made on some journeys.  This is necessary to reduce travel times overall, make the network more frequent generally, improve efficiency and make it simpler to use (2)."

"It is important to improve feeder bus frequency and span of hours to rail stations as well.  Not enough attention has been given to this in stage 2 of the review and needs to be addressed."

"All citizens are encouraged to give their viewpoints on the proposed changes. By doing this a better integrated network can be achieved. For every bus route that changes are proposed for there is the opportunity to provide feedback via the web site. The consultation process finishes on the 16th of December at midnight, so don't delay or you might miss the bus!"

References:

1. http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review

2. "transferring" can be good for you, and good for your city http://www.humantransit.org/2009/04/why-transferring-is-good-for-you-and-good-for-your-city.html

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

Media release

Assistant Minister for Public Transport
Mr Steve Minnikin

More buses without timetables

A growing number of bus routes across South East Queensland could become so frequent that timetables won't be required, under a proposal to build a better bus network.

Public Transport Assistant Minister Steve Minnikin said the high-frequency, no-timetable proposal, similar to that used on Brisbane's CityGlider, could be rolled out across other high frequency corridors.

"Better corridor frequency is a key plank in the State Government's plan to attract people back on to public transport," Mr Minnikin said.

"In Brisbane this means services every three-to-five minutes in peak and 10 minutes off-peak on major corridors – so frequent that it will simply be matter of turning up and boarding.

"The review proposes better frequency and coordination of services between the CBD and major suburban hubs at Carindale, Chermside, Indooroopilly and Mains Rd.

"Combining services could also improve frequency to Mt Ommaney, Albany Creek and Bulimba."

There are also a number of recommendations to reduce duplication, make timetable changes or remove services on routes with very low patronage.

Suggested options, along with cost recovery and loading ratings for each of South East Queensland's 450 bus routes, will be available at translink.com.au with public comment open for two weeks.

"This is the second round of feedback so it's important for passengers to have their say before we make final decisions," Mr Minnikin said.

"The LNP added 2000 additional weekly service earlier this year and now we are undertaking the most comprehensive review of bus services ever conducted in South East Queensland."

TransLink received over 4000 pieces of feedback during the first round of consultation to identify where improvements can be made.

The Newman Government made the decision to review bus services after figures showed patronage had decreased on 13 of 16 operators last financial year.

Some of the changes being proposed for South East Queensland include:

·         Improving the coordination and frequency of corridors to eliminate the need for timetables.

·         Additional services for Brisbane's most overcrowded routes – the top 10 overcrowded routes between August and October 2012 were routes 412, 130, 345, 66, 385, 169, 150, 100, 330 and 333.

·         Additional services for route 600, which carries 25 per cent of Sunshine Coast bus trips.

·         Additional services connecting to Sunshine Coast train stations.

·         Improvements to local bus routes across the Gold Coast, designed to provide easier access, ahead of the introduction of Gold Coast Rapid Transit network in 2014

·         Extending some trips on Gold Coast route 700 into Griffith University to allow for simplification of the network.

·         Restructuring and renaming of older Gold Coast routes which have not been reviewed since the 1990s.

·         Improving bus and rail connections north of Brisbane.

·         Learning from the Trip Tracker data so we can make services more reliable and make it easier for customers to connect to other services.

·         More services on route 500 in Ipswich.

These enhancements would be funded by removing duplication and addressing poor performing routes in other parts of the network, including:

·         Removal of route 77 due to low patronage. A number of routes currently operate between Garden City, CBD and Chermside.

·         Truncating route P461 at Richlands train station due to low patronage and the availability of high frequency rail services to the city.

·         No longer running route P88 on the weekend as it duplicates a number of routes between Eight Mile Plains and Indooroopilly.

·         Combining bus routes between Goodna and Springfield to improve frequency

·         Removing Gold Coast route 707 which duplicates route 700.

[ENDS] 4 December 2012

STB

Just a thought bubble....would it make sense to delete routes 214 and 215 and run route 213 full time on an hourly basis (higher during peak hour), and upgrading route 220 to run half hourly all day?  Thoughts?

somebody

Quote from: Gazza on December 03, 2012, 21:22:34 PM
I've yet to hear an explanation as to how you determine what areas get a city precincts variant, and what ones don't.
I'm not going to be roped in to making up some rules about this.

Service planning is an art, not a science!

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on December 03, 2012, 22:49:11 PM
139 does operate during uni breaks. See http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/network-information/timetables/120220-29,109,139,169,209.pdf there are some that are uni semester only runs though.

I think I found route 29 as well. Pretty sure it's the mysterious route 27 up the top.
Hmm, I think it used to operate uni semesters only, 29 too.  That would make more sense.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on December 04, 2012, 07:19:27 AM
Quote from: Golliwog on December 03, 2012, 22:49:11 PM
139 does operate during uni breaks. See http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/network-information/timetables/120220-29,109,139,169,209.pdf there are some that are uni semester only runs though.

I think I found route 29 as well. Pretty sure it's the mysterious route 27 up the top.
Hmm, I think it used to operate uni semesters only, 29 too.  That would make more sense.
I think you are right there, and that it was one of the more recent timetable changes that put them in full time. I'm not sure how to tackle this one as even out of semester, the UQ Lakes to SEB and everywhere else connections are important, but I do agree running 3 routes is a bit excessive. I'm also hoping they do something to fix weekend services there though.

In other news, they're looking at cutting route 360 back to Everton Park (I'd think keeping it in to Enogerra interchange might be a little better but we'll see), and have the same comment for route 361, although that doesn't actually run into Everton Park... still, there isn't much need for these to run all the way to the city when they connect (or should connect) to trains at Mitchelton, and other bus routes. Only down side is that route 363 and 364 which do the inner part of these routes from around Herston Rd are being looked at for upgrades to improve services for the locals, so really they're just splitting the routes in two and cutting out the part along Enogerra/Kelvin Grove Rd, which is fair enough given it has just a couple of services already :P
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Another shake-up of city bus routes

QuoteAnother shake-up of city bus routes
Joel Gould
4th Dec 2012 3:00 AM

IPSWICH bus routes are set to be revamped with some merged and others given an increase in frequency.

The QT understands that the proposed revamp will see no changes to the 529 route from Toogoolawah to Ipswich or the 514 route from Tivoli/Moores Pocket to Booval after Ipswich West MP Sean Choat gave his guarantee the two routes would be preserved.

Route 529 has been saved after Mr Choat tabled a petition in parliament at the last sitting with 2200 signatures to save the line.

After a day spent on the buses last month Mr Choat said one item of feedback was crucial.

"People would like to see more frequency," he said.

Public Transport Assistant Minister Steve Minnikin said the proposed changes "would involve restructuring existing routes and adding services to improve frequency on routes from Goodna to Springfield, Goodna to Ipswich and Ipswich to One Mile and Leichhardt".

Three corridors on the Ipswich, Goodna and Springfield bus network would be simplified and receive further reinforcements. "Better corridor frequency is a key plank in the State Government's plan to attract people back on to public transport," Mr Minnikin said.

"Route 500 (Riverlink Shopping Centre to Goodna station) is currently hourly and passengers tell us they will use it more if we improve the frequency.

"There is also a proposal to extend some trips on route 515 (Brassall to Yamanto) to Willowbank and replace route 508 (Yamanto to Willowbank) to simplify this part of the network, yet maintaining the current service levels to Willowbank. The other key change would merge routes 522 (Orion Springfield to Goodna shops) and 530 (Orion Springfield to Goodna) to provide a simple frequent service between Goodna and Springfield."

There is also a recommendation to reduce duplication in the Woodend area by combining routes 512 (Brassall to Riverlink Shopping Centre) and 513 (Woodend Loop), which Mr Minnikin said were both low-patronage services.

Suggested options, along with cost recovery and loading ratings for each of south-east Queensland's 450 bus routes, are available at translink.com.au with public comment open for two weeks from Monday, December 3.

"It's important for passengers to have their say before we make final decisions," Mr Minnikin said. "This is the most comprehensive review of bus services ever conducted in south-east Queensland."

ozbob

From the Sunshine Coast Daily click here!

Extra buses on the way

QuoteExtra buses on the way
4th Dec 2012 5:46 AM

THE Sunshine Coast's busiest bus routes will be simplified and receive reinforcements, under a new State Government proposal.

Public Transport Assistant Minister Steve Minnikin said one of the key proposals was boosting the frequency of route 600 from Maroochydore to Caloundra.

The route already operates every 15 minutes and carries more than one-quarter of all Coast bus trips but Mr Minnikin said passengers had indicated they wanted even greater frequency.

Other proposals include extra services to Coast train stations and the university, as well as better late-night services.

The proposals can be found at translink.com.au, with public comment open for the next two weeks.

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Bus timetables could be rendered obsolete on some routes

QuoteBus timetables could be rendered obsolete on some routes
December 4, 2012 - 8:36AM
Bridie Jabour

Buses in Brisbane could arrive so frequently on some routes that timetables will not be needed under recommendations being considered by the state government.

Public Transport Assistant Minister Steve Minnikin has announced the government could roll out a high-frequency, no-timetable proposal for certain routes which would be similar to Brisbane's CityGlider service.

The recommendation is part of the second stage of the Newman government's review of southeast Queensland's bus services.

On southeast Queensland's most popular routes, buses could be introduced every three to five minutes in peak times and every 10 minutes in off-peak times.

"So frequent that it will simply be matter of turning up and boarding," Mr Minnikin said.

The corridors being considered for the no-timetable service are between the city and suburbs such as Carindale, Chermside, Indooroopilly and Mains Road.

Other services could be combined to improve frequency to Mount Ommaney, Albany Creek and Bulimba.

Other recommendations in the review include cutting bus routes, changing timetables and reducing duplication on bus routes.

More buses could be added to the overcrowded routes of 412, 130, 345, 66, 385, 169, 150, 100, 330 and 333 in Brisbane and route 600, which carries 25 per cent of all Sunshine Coast bus trips.

More buses connecting to the Sunshine Coast train stations could be introduced and some trips on the Gold Coast route 700 could be extended.

A focus on improving Gold Coast bus routes across the city has also been recommended in the review.

Some of the Gold Coast routes have not been reviewed since the early 1990s and there could be restructures of the routes while more buses could be added to the Ipswich 500 route.

One of the bus routes facing the axe is 77, which has recorded low patronage which the review has put down to the high number of routes between Garden City, the City and Chermside.

Gold Coast route 707 could also be scrapped as it duplicates route 700.

The first round of the review focused on where improvements could be made and the second round of public feedback has been opened on Translink's website.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/bus-timetables-could-be-rendered-obsolete-on-some-routes-20121204-2arw9.html

somebody

Quote from: STB on December 04, 2012, 06:34:03 AM
Just a thought bubble....would it make sense to delete routes 214 and 215 and run route 213 full time on an hourly basis (higher during peak hour), and upgrading route 220 to run half hourly all day?  Thoughts?
IMHO - No.

I'd like to have the 220/221 corridor be via Story Bridge full time and the change you suggest would go completely against that.

SurfRail

Partial yes.

My preference is for:

1. 214 to be a full time route
2. 220 to run via Story Bridge, 221 decommissioned
3. 213 to run via the 215 route and run full time (plus all the routes in the Meadowlands Rd area should travel along Bedivere Street, turning left or right onto Meadowlands as needed).
Ride the G:

HappyTrainGuy

It will be a very very sad day when the 77 gets removed. IMHO its a brilliant little route. I might bag it on patronage from time to time but its one of the most under utilised routes around. The only problem with it is the PM traffic along Hamilton road taking way too long to go a couple hundred metres and in the AM it can sometimes be delayed with its arrival at Chermside due to the same inbound traffic which is all because of the Hamilton Road/Gympie Road intersection and how the pedestrian crossing facilities are structured. By the time people finish crossing the southern lights 3 cars go through before the lights go red.

07:00 AM    'Chermside (Hamilton Road)' Hamilton Road    07:26 AM    Griffith University Station
04:53 PM    Griffith University Station Platform 1    05:28 PM    'Chermside (Hamilton Road)' Hamilton Road

04:58 PM    Griffith University Station    05:12 PM    Cultural Centre station platform 1    
05:13 PM    Cultural Centre station platform 1    05:46 PM    Chermside Shopping Centre - Platform A

STB

Quote from: Simon on December 04, 2012, 09:26:09 AM
IMHO - No.

I'd like to have the 220/221 corridor be via Story Bridge full time and the change you suggest would go completely against that.

I'm not sure how as route 213 terminates at Cannon Hill, and no areas would be lost anyway as one would just transfer onto routes 214/220/221 (as they do already).  I do like how SurfRail described it though, which what was I was thinking at the time but decided to put some more thought into it once others had said something to my previous post.

STB

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on December 04, 2012, 09:41:49 AM
It will be a very very sad day when the 77 gets removed. IMHO its a brilliant little route. I might bag it on patronage from time to time but its one of the most under utilised routes around. The only problem with it is the PM traffic along Hamilton road taking way too long to go a couple hundred metres and in the AM it can sometimes be delayed with its arrival at Chermside due to the same inbound traffic which is all because of the Hamilton Road/Gympie Road intersection and how the pedestrian crossing facilities are structured. By the time people finish crossing the southern lights 3 cars go through before the lights go red.

07:00 AM    'Chermside (Hamilton Road)' Hamilton Road    07:26 AM    Griffith University Station
04:53 PM    Griffith University Station Platform 1    05:28 PM    'Chermside (Hamilton Road)' Hamilton Road

04:58 PM    Griffith University Station    05:12 PM    Cultural Centre station platform 1    
05:13 PM    Cultural Centre station platform 1    05:46 PM    Chermside Shopping Centre - Platform A

Agreed, I've had to go to Windsor on a weekly basis in recent times during peak hour and route 77 is a godsend for it to avoid the city.  It will be a shame when it disappears, and I do wonder why the patronage isn't there as it's a much better alternative to getting a train/bus into the city and transferring onto routes 333/330/340. 

Perhaps old habits die hard with passengers so they've been ignoring route 77?

techblitz

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on December 04, 2012, 09:41:49 AM

the 77 is a vicitim of its own cirumstances......not enough students utilising the griffith uni bus stop,as htg pointed out the ridiculous waits on gympie rd etc and my personal favorite...LACK of advertising!!.The timesaving from buranda to windsor station is phenomenal but i guess budgets come first no matter how `HANDY` a service is.

I feel a weekday peakhour only service is warranted at the least, instead of completely deleting it.

somebody

With the 77, even though I believe I've only ever used it once, I agree, let it stay.

It's probably not frequent enough to get a huge amount of patronage.  20 minutes might be OK with the phenomenal time saving it offers.  15 minute is still better.

Why not run it to UQ though?  Less service-km and hitting a more major trip generator.

Quote from: STB on December 04, 2012, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: Simon on December 04, 2012, 09:26:09 AM
IMHO - No.

I'm not sure how as route 213 terminates at Cannon Hill, and no areas would be lost anyway as one would just transfer onto routes 214/220/221 (as they do already).  I do like how SurfRail described it though, which what was I was thinking at the time but decided to put some more thought into it once others had said something to my previous post.
Well you did say to remove the 214 (and 215).  That leaves the 220 the only service on Richmond Rd, so it therefore cannot be sent via the Story Bridge.

Quote from: SurfRail on December 04, 2012, 09:35:16 AM
1. 214 to be a full time route
2. 220 to run via Story Bridge, 221 decommissioned
3. 213 to run via the 215 route and run full time (plus all the routes in the Meadowlands Rd area should travel along Bedivere Street, turning left or right onto Meadowlands as needed).
But then you have both the 214 & 213 terminating at Cannon Hill.  Why not just join them up? (Which would be a 215).

HappyTrainGuy

The timing stuff up at Buranda wouldn't have helped in which the printed station and online timetables were out by a few minutes. That took something like 6-7 months to solve after the first time I experienced the Buranda stuff up - who knows how long that had been around for as the whole timetable was correct except for 2 stops. The average punter wouldn't have dived into it more and reverted to going via the city.

The 77 did have some decent advertising when it first started but like the usual Translink advertising effort we saw for the P88 and other routes it dropped off the face of the plannet before you knew it.

77 is every 15 mins in both directions for about half of the day. Morning its from first service till 9ish before reverting to the 30 min frequency before 15 mins again from about 3.45 till the final service at 7pm for Chermside-8MP while it starts around 3ish till the final service at 6.15-6.30 for the 8MP-Chermside services.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on December 04, 2012, 10:03:01 AM
But then you have both the 214 & 213 terminating at Cannon Hill.  Why not just join them up? (Which would be a 215).

Hadn't considered that, but now that I have I'd expect the 214 to operate more often than the 213 (potential BUZ in the long term).  Not a bad thought though.
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on December 04, 2012, 10:21:33 AM
Quote from: Simon on December 04, 2012, 10:03:01 AM

Hadn't considered that, but now that I have I'd expect the 214 to operate more often than the 213 (potential BUZ in the long term).  Not a bad thought though.
Hmm, I see where you are coming from now.  There's two alternatives that I could live with:
a) Service continues as ...
b) Alternating 214/215 services (assuming the 214 section operates twice as often as the 213 section)

nathandavid88

After having a bit of a look, first thing I want to say is thank god they're renumbering the old single and double digit GC routes!!! That really should have been done long before now!

Now, looking at what Translink is saying about routes in the Logan region that I travel around is a bit hit and miss. Some good calls but some not so good ones as well in my personal opinion. I'll go through some of the proposed changes (I'll use V for "Value for money" and P for Average patronage, to make things easier.

The "upsides":

547 (Browns Plains Grand Plaza to Woodridge via Drewvale) – A new route. A great idea as Drewvale as far as I know doesn't have any local bus route, and I would assume it would go to Woodridge via Wembley Road, which would make it a hell  of a lot quicker than either the 545 or 550 that go around the horn!

554 (Garden City to Logan Central via Kuruby & Springwood – A high V, very high P route apparently, it's getting additional weekday morning/afternoon services (although Sunday services might be trimmed, a recurring theme which I'll look at further down)

556 (Griffith Mt Gravatt to Loganlea uni semester only service) 557 (Springwood to Mt Gravatt 5 services per day stupidity) and 558 (Logan Central/Woodridge 4 service loop) are all under axing consideration due to low V & P! Good riddance, they are pathetic routes that duplicate existing services/are answers to a question nobody asked!  :-t

P569 (Hyperdome to City) – Extra peak services being considered. Very High V and High P apparently.

P581 (Springwood to City) – Additional offpeak services may be considered to meet demand.

583 (Springwood to City) – Proposed new peak hour service 

Possible downsides:

There seems to be an awful lot of the following statement (or variations thereof) placed on the majority of LCBS suburban (feeder) routes which is worrying me a little bit.

QuoteReductions to the weekday morning/weekday evening/Saturday/Sunday hours of operation and frequency of this route are being considered to reduce duplication on the network.

Routes showing this statement include:

550 (Browns Plains to Springwood via Logan Central)
552 (Loganholme to Kingston Station via Logan Central)
553 (Trinder Park to Beenleigh via Loganholme)
560 (Browns Plains to Loganholme via Loganlea)
562 (Loganholme to Beenleigh via Loganlea)
563 (Loganholme to Bethania via Beenleigh & Eagleby)
565 (Loganholme to Windaroo via Beenleigh)
570 (Loganholme, Logandale, Cornubia Loop)
572 (Loganholme to Springwood via Daisy Hill - Chatswood Rd route) *what the late 555s convert to at Springwood
574 (Loganholme to Springwood via Daisy Hill - Springwood Rd route)
576 (Garden City to Springwood via Rochedale South - School Rd route)
578 (Garden City to Springwood via Rochedale South - Rochedale Rd route)

All of these routes are shown as being  Moderate V but Low P, with the exception of the 560, 576 and 578 which are Moderate for both. Meanwhile, the direct to city equivalents of many of these routes are Very High V and High or Very High P and have no proposed changes.

Many of these routes are important suburban connections between centres otherwise isolated in terms of PT, and which have a 30min frequency at best, hourly frequency at worse, and in many cases finish up reasonably early already. There's obviously a problem with people using these routes (some are long, meandering routes I will give you, other times it's the peak equivalent that I point my finger at), but I don't think cutting the number of services or frequency is going to help things at all. People will be less likely to use them if they aren't convenient for them!

I also don't see how cutting services on these routes reduces duplication as they aren't routes that duplicate any others – seems more like pulling buses to boost the money-making citybound peak services at the expense of suburban connections which would operate as good feeders if allowed to! The real way to reduce duplication here would be to kill the direct to city equivalents and get people to make the connection at Springwood.

As it is, I'm not a fan of these proposed service cuts at all. I will reserve judgement of course, but I see a detrimental effect on local PT rather than any improvement.

Gazza

Anyone else reckon the TX5 is profitable on the backs of tourists paying paper fares ($7) each way?

SurfRail

Quote from: Gazza on December 04, 2012, 11:57:39 AM
Anyone else reckon the TX5 is profitable on the backs of tourists paying paper fares ($7) each way?

It's also fairly busy, if not to the extent of the TX2.

GCCC was looking at doing something like this to the TX5 - it may run down the eastern service roads (Siganto etc) between Movieworld and Dreamworld, instead of along the M1.

Also interested to see there is a planned TX3.  I would expect they intend to have a Burleigh-Broadbeach then express service, and a separate Pac Fair to Main Beach then express service, instead of the current system where the TX2 goes express from Main Beach but starts/finishes at either Pac Fair or Burleigh.  Alternative (which I don't particularly like) is that you have one going to Dreamworld only and the other going to Movieworld/Wet'n'Wild only.

There is also a reference to a route 712 which is a bit hard to work out.  Near as I can gather they intend to:
- Run the 750 only between Pac Fair and Robina
- Run the 702 along the current 750 route between Broadbeach and Seaworld, rather than the highway route to Southport
- Run the current Pacific Fair - Seaworld shortworkings as Route 712.

We really need some maps, even basic sketches overlaid on Brisway extracts.
Ride the G:

Gazza

QuoteIt's also fairly busy, if not to the extent of the TX2.
Ah whoops, meant to write TX2.

Definitley a no to having DW/WWW only and WnW/WBMW only buses...As a theme park fan, I like to be able to park hop during the day.

QuoteWhy not run it to UQ though?  Less service-km and hitting a more major trip generator.
100% agreed, do you reckon you could boost the 77, and run it via Airport link?
And say even cut the 29 since the 77 would serve as the 109 load relief UQ-Park Rd (The Wolloongabba connection is irrelevant on the 29 IMO, it just happens to be a nearby spot to terminate)

Seems to be that sending something to UQ is a surefire way of making it profitable  :P

nathandavid88

The new Gold Coast routes definitely need a map for all the cuts, extensions and rerouting proposed!  It's very confusing. The main points I've gathered are:

700 – Some trips extended to Griffith Uni
702 – New alignment which Surf Rail pointed out
703 – possible rerouting
706 – Dead route, replaced by new routes 731 and 733
707 – Dead route, replaced by revised 700, 701 and 703
709 – Dead route, replaced by new routes 704, 730 and 731
715 – Renumbered 704
728 – Replacement for TX5
738 – Griffith – Pacific Fair only (no Harbour Town extension)
739 – New Route Griffith University Gold Coast and Gold Coast University Hospital to Nerang station.
740 – Extension from Nerang Station to Nerang GCCC Offices
750 – Robina Town Centre to Pacific Fair, as SurfRail said, new route 712 Pacific Fair  to Seaworld
760 – Renumbered 701
762 – Dead Route
764 – Might be spliced with Route 769
761 – Robina Town Centre and Gold Coast Airport. This route may no longer service Robina station

TX2 – may operate to Movie World and Wet 'n' Wild from Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise. A new route is proposed (TX3) to service this corridor.

My head hurts...  lol!

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: Gazza on December 04, 2012, 14:05:24 PM
QuoteWhy not run it to UQ though?  Less service-km and hitting a more major trip generator.
100% agreed, do you reckon you could boost the 77, and run it via Airport link?
And say even cut the 29 since the 77 would serve as the 109 load relief UQ-Park Rd (The Wolloongabba connection is irrelevant on the 29 IMO, it just happens to be a nearby spot to terminate)

Seems to be that sending something to UQ is a surefire way of making it profitable  :P

Running it via Buranda first instead of just running using the existing portal would work a treat adding a minute or two doing the loop. Buranda could then be marketed as a major interchange point.

Golliwog

The problem with scrapping the 29 in favor of a 77 to UQ (79?) is that the benefit of the 29 is that the length of the route itself is low so having it operate as the release valve for Park Rd bound passengers is good when you may have very few other passenger (or any at all) using it as it's only running empty for a short distance. Running all the way the to Chermside at a frequency to suitably relieve the extra passengers from the other routes I think may end up being a bit wasteful.

As for the idea in general though of running the 77 to UQ, I'm not opposed to it, but I'd want to find out about where the existing passengers use it from and to. If the SEB and Gympie Rd corridors are already highly frequent, would it perhaps be an idea to look at cutting it to only run between Buranda and Windsor rail, but run at a higher frequency? Not sure if the higher frequency would be enough to offset the irritation of interchange though.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Gazza

Quote, would it perhaps be an idea to look at cutting it to only run between Buranda and Windsor rail, but run at a higher frequency?
I'm not sure if i'd be keen to have one end just floating, ending "nowhere" at Windsor Rail, kinda does need to connect up to Chermside (Where hopefully other connections can be made)...And finishing there means no airport link.

Then again, do these "freeway shortcut" routes have much of a place at the present time anyway?
They're nice, but if nobody wants them......
No Goodna<>Loganlea bus either for instance.

SurfRail

Quote from: nathandavid88 on December 04, 2012, 14:18:36 PM
761 – Robina Town Centre and Gold Coast Airport. This route may no longer service Robina station

This one's really stoopid.  Where are buses going to lay over at Robina Town Centre if they terminate heading towards the station?  The layover facilities are at the railway and its basically spitting distance - less than 1km.  Also means, if they persist with the stupid routing down Christine Avenue, that you would need to change buses to get to Robina Station or go out of your way to Varsity Lakes.
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on December 04, 2012, 17:19:14 PM

This one's really stoopid.  Where are buses going to lay over at Robina Town Centre if they terminate heading towards the station?  The layover facilities are at the railway and its basically spitting distance - less than 1km.  Also means, if they persist with the stupid routing down Christine Avenue, that you would need to change buses to get to Robina Station or go out of your way to Varsity Lakes.
More stupid is deviating the 765 off Christine Ave.

Is the airport more of a destination than south of it on the 761?

kazzac

,there might be improvements to 230/235 routes ,I hope 230 is BUZzed in the new year,but most of my neighbours here would be too lazy to walk 800-900 metres to Riding Rd to 230 stops[I don"t mind walking,doesn't  :)worry me]so more services for 235  on nights/weekends would be nice . :-t
only an occasional PT user now!

kazzac

:thsdo
Quote from: Gazza on December 03, 2012, 18:06:45 PM

Cost Recovery: High
Patronage: Very High

QuoteAdditional trips are being considered to improve the frequency of services for local residents.

BUZ 230, just do it please!
230/235 services are packed during peak  hours .o/b 235 service I caught home from city last Friday nite  about 8pm had standing pax until about Norman Park.If I"d missed that one 1 hour  until next service!!
only an occasional PT user now!

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on December 04, 2012, 17:26:35 PM
Quote from: SurfRail on December 04, 2012, 17:19:14 PM

More stupid is deviating the 765 off Christine Ave.

Is the airport more of a destination than south of it on the 761?

Couldn't say, but airport loads on this route are never going to be what they are on the 702.

The 765 was a perfect route before they mucked it up - direct, well defined, easy to understand.  761 should have been the route to go down Scottsdale and the 765 should not go to VSY at all.
Ride the G:

Golliwog

Quote from: Gazza on December 04, 2012, 16:47:53 PM
Quote, would it perhaps be an idea to look at cutting it to only run between Buranda and Windsor rail, but run at a higher frequency?
I'm not sure if i'd be keen to have one end just floating, ending "nowhere" at Windsor Rail, kinda does need to connect up to Chermside (Where hopefully other connections can be made)...And finishing there means no airport link.

Then again, do these "freeway shortcut" routes have much of a place at the present time anyway?
They're nice, but if nobody wants them......
No Goodna<>Loganlea bus either for instance.
I think if theres enough demand then yes. Airport link I don't agree with as it just mirrors the surface road, but doesn't allow for any passengers to get on/off. Running through Clem 7 though where you bypass the entire CBD I could see a need for (though patronage apparently doesn't back it up).

My point with Windsor Rail though, isn't that it's a big draw card, but that it's an easy interchange point to the 333, etc. I see no point in having the 77 run all the way to Chermside every 30 minutes if there's only half a dozen passengers on board. If you could run it every 15 minutes, timed to get to Windsor Rail a few minutes before a 333 (shouldn't be hard, 333 has pretty much entirely busway before that, and 77 would be almost entirely in the tunnel) then you'd get a fairly seamless interchange (it'd be at the same stop), with minimal wait.

Gazza

But what I'm saying is, if the route exists around the concept being something you interchange onto to save a bit of time thats ok, but it actually has to have routes it can interchange with.
And having the 333 alone isn't enough at the northern end. In the future I can see Chermside being a termination point for many feeder routes, so what Bridges the gap from Chermside to Windsor Rail? Do you double change for a short distance to a 333, and then the 77?

It doesn't worry me too much that the bus misses stops by using Airport Link, because those are more "local stops", and its no worse than an Ipswich express skipping Taringa or Auchenflower.

Should be 4bph UQ-Chermside. Simple.

Also, HTG, I keep forgetting, but what is the Northside route that has like 6 different variations that you hate? What have they said on that one?

Arnz

Quote from: Gazza on December 03, 2012, 23:54:10 PM
^Agreed 100% on that...you've sent them feedback that says as much?

I have done that, with a suggestion that excess school patronage on the 600 could be covered and promoted with extra School services (operated by TransLink school operator BusLink), which asserts my suggestion of redirecting the buses onto the 620. 

Having said that, I've also about to fire another suggestion of extra 605/615s to connect to the train services which are not currently covered.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

achiruel

Quote from: nathandavid88 on December 04, 2012, 11:09:02 AM
Possible downsides:

There seems to be an awful lot of the following statement (or variations thereof) placed on the majority of LCBS suburban (feeder) routes which is worrying me a little bit.

QuoteReductions to the weekday morning/weekday evening/Saturday/Sunday hours of operation and frequency of this route are being considered to reduce duplication on the network.

Routes showing this statement include:

550 (Browns Plains to Springwood via Logan Central)
552 (Loganholme to Kingston Station via Logan Central)
553 (Trinder Park to Beenleigh via Loganholme)
560 (Browns Plains to Loganholme via Loganlea)
562 (Loganholme to Beenleigh via Loganlea)
563 (Loganholme to Bethania via Beenleigh & Eagleby)
565 (Loganholme to Windaroo via Beenleigh)
570 (Loganholme, Logandale, Cornubia Loop)
572 (Loganholme to Springwood via Daisy Hill - Chatswood Rd route) *what the late 555s convert to at Springwood
574 (Loganholme to Springwood via Daisy Hill - Springwood Rd route)
576 (Garden City to Springwood via Rochedale South - School Rd route)
578 (Garden City to Springwood via Rochedale South - Rochedale Rd route)

All of these routes are shown as being  Moderate V but Low P, with the exception of the 560, 576 and 578 which are Moderate for both. Meanwhile, the direct to city equivalents of many of these routes are Very High V and High or Very High P and have no proposed changes.

Many of these routes are important suburban connections between centres otherwise isolated in terms of PT, and which have a 30min frequency at best, hourly frequency at worse, and in many cases finish up reasonably early already. There's obviously a problem with people using these routes (some are long, meandering routes I will give you, other times it's the peak equivalent that I point my finger at), but I don't think cutting the number of services or frequency is going to help things at all. People will be less likely to use them if they aren't convenient for them!

I also don't see how cutting services on these routes reduces duplication as they aren't routes that duplicate any others – seems more like pulling buses to boost the money-making citybound peak services at the expense of suburban connections which would operate as good feeders if allowed to! The real way to reduce duplication here would be to kill the direct to city equivalents and get people to make the connection at Springwood.

As it is, I'm not a fan of these proposed service cuts at all. I will reserve judgement of course, but I see a detrimental effect on local PT rather than any improvement.

I'm really concerned that they're considering cutting some of these routes, particularly 550, 553 & 560.

I'm wondering if 553 is simply too long.  Would it be stupid to suggest merging the southern end of 553 with 565 (obviously with the result that 565 would no longer run express via M1) and having 553 run only from Logan Central to Hyperdome?  Is there really a need for 553 to continue to Trinder Park?

techblitz

after reading all these reposnses i notice there is someone who hasnt surfaced yet to give some responses :-c

skippy

I see truncating some western suburbs bus routes at Indooroopilly is likely. In my case I need to get from Chapel Hill to the Valley, and not too keen on bus - bus - train.

Since the weekend and off-peak rail frequency (Darra - CBD - Northgate) has been improved to 15 mins, it would be great if a solution to terminate at Indooroopilly rail could be found. Is there a way to do this without the buses having travel over the rail corridor? Presumably would need to create a layover zone for buses.

#Metro

Quoteafter reading all these reposnses i notice there is someone who hasnt surfaced yet to give some responses
I'm busy processing it all. Shh!!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

🡱 🡳