• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathandavid88

Time to get an idea of just how closely Translink is actually looking at the network. Hopefully we will see some real improvements proposed, and not just minor fiddling around the edges.

Mr X

Anyone know what time it will be up?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Otto

Might be changing it now.. Page just comes up as errors. 30 minutes ago, it was fine..
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

Mr X

Journey planner is down too..
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

nathandavid88

No errors over here for me at the moment, but no updates to the review page yet either.

Otto

Yep, back up again, but nothing changed.
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

Mr X

Gazza

It's translink so of course it's not running on time.

Mr X

Probably last minute ministerial meddling...

somebody

What's a couple of hours matter after all these months?  Technically it isn't late yet either.  They only said "this afternoon" didn't they?

EDIT: Now COB and I would call it late.  The question is: will it get done today?

HappyTrainGuy

Their neighbors wifi must not have a strong signal  :-r

Eh, its not the end of the world. Its still going to be a while off before we even see route mods anyway so there isn't any harm in waiting any longer.

SurfRail

Clearly those telemetry failures are reaching beyond the Caboolture line this week.
Ride the G:

Mr X

it's up!

doesn't have route maps, just comments regarding route value for money and potential changes.

they are considering extending the 196 to yeronga.. interesting! 77 might be dumped.

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/seq-bus-network-review?utm_source=translink-website&utm_medium=webtile&utm_content=primary&utm_campaign=seq-review-phase2-primary

Gazza

161 to terminate at Garden City  :-t

Mr X

Comments are way too vague and it doesn't go far enough in cutting services. No mention for any routes so far on redirecting buses away from the cultural centre, for instance.

SurfRail

I'll have to look when I get home, the coding is making my work computer crap its pants.
Ride the G:

Golliwog

So much for improving the feeders in the Ferny Grove area!

VFM: Moderate
Patronage: Low
Suggestions: There are no changes proposed at this time.

Suggestions: It is being considered for this route to extend further into Upper Kedron to improve access to public transport for local residents and attract more patronage.

396 (I know it goes to Mitchelton, but its the same area)
Suggestions: Reduction in the hours of operation and frequency of this route are being considered in the morning.

Suggestions: Reduction in the hours of operation and frequency of this route are being considered in evenings and on weekends.

VFM: Low
Suggestions: Reductions in the hours of operation and frequency of this route are being considered in evenings and on weekends. Resources may be reallocated to busier areas of the network.

399: Once again, forgotten about!
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mr X

105         Changes to where this route travels in Yeronga are being considered to make better use of resources. Passengers in Yeronga may be able to use extended route 196.
Passengers who use the 105 in Yeroongpilly to access Brisbane City may need to change at PA Hospital to access other CBD services. This route will also be monitored and demand responsive alternatives may be considered.

107         Removal of this peak only route is being considered to make better use of resources. Resources may be reallocated to busier areas of the network. Passengers in the Yeronga area may be able to use extended route 196.

108         Removal of this peak only service is being considered to make better use of resources. Passengers may be able to use route 105 or the extended 196.

At least they're cutting something

103         Changes to where this route travels in the Seventeen Mile Rocks area are being considered to make better use of resources and reduce duplication on the network.

If you're changing routings, it would be useful if they'd detail exactly what those changes might be. Too vague!

414         There are no changes proposed at this time.

Urban safari 414 remains.. typical

198         Reduced frequency of this route is being considered to make better use of resources. Additionally, Changes to where this route travels in the Dutton Park/Buranda areas is being considered.

Chopping Dutton Park off the route will achieve very little, it needs to be axed.

Gazza

I'm just gonna blog these as I find them

522 to be 30 min frequency off peak....will mean good co-ordination with Springfield trains.

Quote467/468:
Changes to where this route travels in the Seventeen Mile Rocks area are being considered to make better use of resources and reduce duplication on the network. This route will also be monitored and demand responsive alternatives may be considered.
LOL, my local route, shafted!

540 to be made hourly to Browns Plains, with a change to a BUZ to reach the CBD.

Mr X

Quote from: Gazza on December 03, 2012, 17:29:36 PM
LOL, my local route, shafted!
Don't feel too bad, 'demand responsive alternatives' seems to be widely used for anything worth cutting without actually committing to cutting it.

ozbob

QuoteThe next stage of the review is to look at key corridors in the Brisbane region and examine how changes to one route impacts on other routes in the corridor. We will also look at whether there is a simpler way to operate the very high frequency parts of the network. The aim is that more customers will have access to simple high frequency services. Other customers will need to travel to their nearest centre and transfer onto a high frequency all day service.

:-t
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Mr X

QuoteTo make it easier to compare different public transport services, TransLink has developed the following value-for-money categories:

On average, fares collected cover less than 15 per cent of the total costs of providing the service.
   On average, fares collected cover between 15 per cent and 30 per cent of the total costs of providing the service.
   On average, fares cover at least 30 per cent of the total costs of providing the service.
   On average, cost recovery is over 100 per cent. These services tend to cover their operating costs.

199 and 412 are the only ones I have seen listed so far that cover 100% of their operating costs...

Golliwog

Removal of this route is being considered due to low patronage. Resources may be reallocated to busier areas of the network. Passengers can use routes 111/555 (Eight Mile Plains to Brisbane City) and 333/340 (Brisbane City to Chermside) and transfer if necessary.

Reductions to the frequency of this route are being considered due to low patronage.
Changes to the timetable are also being considered to provide more realistic travel times due to traffic.

Service improvements are being considered in peak periods in this area. Changes may be made to adjacent routes travelling a similar pattern.

Like the 399, this route isn't currently in the list.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

HappyTrainGuy

I lol'd so hard at the 336/337/354 routes. For a route that doesn't run on Sundays, has 5 daily services with a frequency of 1h30m they sure know how to increase patronage.

"Reduction in the hours of operation and frequency of this route are being considered on Saturdays to make better use of resources."

The 314 got off better than them  :-r

Golliwog

Quote from: Mr X on December 03, 2012, 17:38:59 PM
QuoteTo make it easier to compare different public transport services, TransLink has developed the following value-for-money categories:

On average, fares collected cover less than 15 per cent of the total costs of providing the service.
   On average, fares collected cover between 15 per cent and 30 per cent of the total costs of providing the service.
   On average, fares cover at least 30 per cent of the total costs of providing the service.
   On average, cost recovery is over 100 per cent. These services tend to cover their operating costs.

199 and 412 are the only ones I have seen listed so far that cover 100% of their operating costs...
Add to that 171, P176, 178, P189, 195, P206, P207, P208, P211, P231, P236, 305, P343, 351, 357, P374, 376, 382, 383, P384, 416, 427, P546, 551, 566, P569, 571, 573, 575, P581, 703, 709, TX2.

EDIT: I haven't gone through routes below 162. My browser is being glitchy so it auto-opened all routes below route 162 in the list, but if I open any drop down, it takes my browser back to the top of the page (though it does open it, I'm not willing to do that repeatedly).

Mr X

314         There are no changes proposed at this time as this route provides important local access in Sandgate, Deagon and Shorncliffe. This route will be monitored and demand responsive alternatives may be considered.

:-w

pangwen

Hmmm 540 hourly is good. However, they should retain the 5 daily in/out services that go into town, because they are the only services servicing Beaudesert Rd between algester and acacia ridge. From catching the 540 that arrives in the city at around 7:40, a lot of our lady's college (approximately 10-15) students catch the bus from algester and southwards to and from school (annerley rd). A lot of tradies (living in logan) also get off at various stops along Beaudesert Rd in acacia ridge and archerfield.

ozbob

524, my local champion.  No changes however ....

Don't quite get it.

Value for money - high

Average patronage - low

Is this inconsistent?

Would dispute that, every time I have been on the bus it is usually 20 or more ...

Gazza

QuoteHmmm 540 hourly is good. However, they should retain the 5 daily in/out services that go into town, because they are the only services servicing Beaudesert Rd between algester and acacia ridge
Whats the point of having a bus service to serve a stretch of corridoor a total of 10 times a day. Either an all day service, or nothing at all.

Or provide something else between algester and Acacia Ridge....People travelling long haul from Beaudesert shouldn't be forced to travel the slow way along that road to serve people there, when they could be going via the Gateway and Busway.

Gazza

Cost Recovery: High
Patronage: Very High

QuoteAdditional trips are being considered to improve the frequency of services for local residents.

BUZ 230, just do it please!

Golliwog

Looks like the Maroon Cityglider is a goer. It's implementation is mentioned in the suggestions for some of the 37x routes.

HappyTrainGuy

326/327: Changes to where routes 326 and 327 travel between Taigum and Toombul is being considered to make better use of resources. This route will also be monitored and demand responsive alternatives may be considered.

310: There are no changes proposed at this time.

315: There may be changes to where this route travels to provide a more direct service to the Brisbane CBD. This service may also change to a pre-paid service meaning passengers will need to have a pre-purchased ticket or go card to travel.

pangwen

All day for the 540 would have been ideal, but we both know that costs are being cut at the moment. 540 passengers currently already have the option of changing to an express service at greenbank or browns Plains, and yet the 5 per day does get some patronage (I'm currently typing from a 540 service passing Beaudesert road/mortimer road near archerfield, and there are 20ish passengers on board, having picked up and dropped off regularly along the route).

A browns Plains to city via acacia ridge and annerley service could work - provides an element of pt connectivity that is currently not present (and would make sense). Perhaps extend the 117 to browns Plains?

somebody

"High" value for money is too broad - 30% to 100%.

Quote from: Golliwog on December 03, 2012, 17:41:01 PM
Like the 399, this route isn't currently in the list.
What's with that!  That's an important route to talk about isn't it?

121 - pays for itself and has "very high" patronage!  Pretty surprising, I don't think I've ever seen anyone stand on it.
171,176,189,195,199,206,207,211,231,236,305,P343,351,357,376,384,412,416,P546 also make money.

Interesting that the P546 makes money, but the P142 doesn't.

66+P88 - lose money.  No surprises.

109 loses money - surprise.

199 might go via Ivory St.  Thank God.

157 might be reduced.  This is odd.

160,217 to stay the same.  Fail.

344 might be "changed".  "Low" patronage on a peak only route.  Why not remove it?

350 might go via Kelvin Grove Rd - good.

393 to stay the same.   :thsdo

Pretty surprising about the Charlotte St starting rockets (343,382,383,376) making a profit.  Whenever I see them in the PM on George St or wherever, hardly anyone is on board.  Perhaps most board at Roma St.

Not an exhaustive list of comments.

Quote from: pangwen on December 03, 2012, 18:13:30 PM
A browns Plains to city via acacia ridge and annerley service could work - provides an element of pt connectivity that is currently not present (and would make sense). Perhaps extend the 117 to browns Plains?
Just go as far as Sunnybank Hills shops if you want to extend it.  You can grab the 140 from there.

somebody

Still, imagine something like this happening under Anna Bligh.  Ding dong.

ozbob

Quote from: Golliwog on December 03, 2012, 18:10:16 PM
Looks like the Maroon Cityglider is a goer. It's implementation is mentioned in the suggestions for some of the 37x routes.

Yes sadly, the Maroon City Clider is going to implemented in Feb 2013 I understand.  No one other than BCC is keen about it however ...

HappyTrainGuy

322:   It is proposed that this route terminate at Toombul interchange and no longer travel to Brisbane City. Passengers may be able to transfer to route 306 to reach Brisbane City.
306: There are no changes proposed at this time.

322 has a better span of hours than the 306  :-\ Hopefully they'll address those issues. Along with servicing Banyo/Nudgee/Nudgee Beach.

Gazza

Anyone reckon we should do a formal response to each proposal, maximum of a sentence or two?

Gazza

The proposal for the 446/430 is logical. 446 in peak goes to the CBD unchanged, but the 430 terminates and people change to a high frequency route.

pangwen

Good thought re sunnybank hills shops, but some issues include:
- the hypothetical extended 117 would stop on the wrong side of the road for connections to/from browns Plains (unless it runs via hellawell road, which would reduce the time saving from cutting the route)
- passengers south of browns Plains would need to transfer twice 540-140-117. This is ameliorated somewhat due to the frequency of the 140, but having to then cross calam road to transfer makes things significantly more difficult.

🡱 🡳