• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Quote from: Jonno on March 22, 2013, 07:42:13 AM
The Lord Mayor just declared war on Rail Back on Track on 4BC.  He disagrees with a lot of our ideas and that probably explains why public transport is 8% of trips.  He says that a transfer will for force people off public transport. So his current system is working so well at 8%!!!

Good, we are being noticed.  He won't be LM for too long I suspect, we are around for the long haul ...  ;)
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

By the way, connected networks is best practise as advised by transport planners, guess that is the difference between politicians and planners ...

Gazza

The good thing is at least we can properly blame BCC if things aren't up to scratch post review ...they wanted it that way!

ozbob

Interview went ahead on 612 ABC radio, Minister followed me.  I was balanced but pointed out the problem is really a result of the Council.  Encouraged one more attempt at getting the key stake holders together with TransLink and work it through properly.  Minister said on air that Brisbane Transport did not cooperate with TransLink when they were preparing the plan.  The other operators did, shows huh?  Ms Devine did put Mr Emerson on the spot.

Hopefully will be up on the blog later ..

Gazza

We need to ram the points that
-having 2 levels of government planning buses results in these disagreements
-why is bccs opinion considered greater than that of translink
-what about the fact the #1 thing people want is higher frequency,  what happens to the 100k people who wont get that?

in melb at the moment...used the 903 and 902...people were changing on and off. LOL.

colinw

Quote from: MaxHeadway on March 22, 2013, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: colinw on March 21, 2013, 15:50:44 PMMy next home will not be in SEQ, and with any luck will be in 5'3" territory.

Melbourne or Adelaide? Even the latter has a sensibly-planned system, even if rail is quite marginal there. (And whilst it's another "big country town", at least rents and crime rates are lower than here, too!)

Melbourne, although I'd happily live in Adelaide, but it would mean going back into defence.  In my current line of work there's plenty of work in Melbourne, and I can theoretically even keep my current job & just transfer to our Melbourne Docklands office (tram at front door).

colinw

Quote from: Jonno on March 22, 2013, 07:42:13 AM
The Lord Mayor just declared war on Rail Back on Track on 4BC.  He disagrees with a lot of our ideas and that probably explains why public transport is 8% of trips.  He says that a transfer will for force people off public transport. So his current system is working so well at 8%!!!

ROFL.  Dig a hole for yourself Quirky.

BCC & Quirk wouldn't know a world class public transport system even if it ran over them at a bus/rail interchange.  All Quirk is doing is entrenching the culture of mediocrity and "bus vs. train' which has hampered Brisbane since it was "tram vs. train".

The Government needs to grow a pair, and threaten BCC where it hurts, i.e. funding.  Want go go it alone? Fine, but we're not paying for it.  Of course with Newman being the Lord Mayor of Brisbane Queensland and Emerson doing what he is told by the big boys, the public transport users in SEQ (yes, its bigger than Brisbane) had better get used to being shafted.

Stillwater

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, this is going to become a very scrappy political argument.  The next step will be a slash in the stage government budget allocation to BCC for buses, to force change.  Quirky will cry foul, say little old ladies on Dornoch Terrace will not be able to get to church because the big bad LNP has not given him enough money.  Mr Emerson will say 'you had your chance, the blueprint is there Lord Mayor.  The state did your homework for you, all you have to do is implement it.  We have calculated the costs of an efficient BCC bus system, and that is what we have given you to do the job'.  Emerson will then say he has bigger fish to fry, and is going after the feds for CRR Lite money.  Feds tell him to bugger off until he submits a completely new business plan.  This is what passes for leadership in Queensland.

ozbob

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013/03/bue-review-gets-passed-to-brisbane-city-council.html

612 ABC Brisbane

Bus review gets passed to Brisbane City Council

22 March 2013 , 10:34 AM by Sally Rope

Were you happy with the State Government Bus review, or did you lose a favourite bus route?

Millions of dollars were spent on the review, it was announced with much fanfare by State Transport Minister Scott Emerson - a week down the track - it's off!

Yesterday, Brisbane Mayor Graham Quirk announced the State Government had passed the review process to Brisbane City Council.

Robert Dow is the spokesperson for Rail Back On Track, a community group fighting for a sustainable public transport system, and he spoke to Kelly Higgins-Devine...

Click --> here!

Kelly also spoke to Transport minister Scott Emerson, who tried to explain the reasoning behind the move...

Click --> here!

SurfRail

Ride the G:

ozbob

Mr Emerson says very clearly in the interview that BT did not cooperate with the review.

So he rewards them.   Very strange logic, and why this process is alarming, to say the least.

When is the next election?

colinw

Quote from: ozbob on March 22, 2013, 10:53:46 AM
Mr Emerson says very clearly in the interview that BT did not cooperate with the review.

I have to wonder what role the former Lord Mayor & now Premier played in all this.  I have had the impression on more than one occasion that Emerson is largely unsupported in his role as minister, and may have taken some political damage within the LNP over the whole Caltabiano debacle.

somebody

Quote from: colinw on March 22, 2013, 10:56:19 AM
I have to wonder what role the former Lord Mayor & now Premier played in all this.  I have had the impression on more than one occasion that Emerson is largely unsupported in his role as minister, and may have taken some political damage within the LNP over the whole Caltabiano debacle.
Can't see how he can be blamed for the Caltabiano fiasco.  The premier made that decision didn't he?

ozbob

I smelt a rat early ...  patronage is going to continue to get worse as delays compound ...  fare relief is less likely ...  all in all a typical Queensland balls-up.

however ..

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Churchill ...

colinw

Quote from: Simon on March 22, 2013, 11:12:28 AM
Quote from: colinw on March 22, 2013, 10:56:19 AM
Can't see how he can be blamed for the Caltabiano fiasco.  The premier made that decision didn't he?

Not blamed, but he was the one who referred Caltabiano to the Ethics committee, which would have gone down like a lead balloon with Newman, Seeney & Nichols.

As soon as that happened, my thought was "this guy is going to be hung out to dry by Newman when an opportunity arises".

colinw

"If all else fails, buy a bloody huge 4WD".

-- colinw

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on March 22, 2013, 11:14:51 AM
I smelt a rat early
Not sure what you are referring to here.

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 21, 2013, 16:00:53 PM
Sent to all outlets:

21 March 2013

Public 'thank you' to TransLink

Greetings,

Despite the myopia on display for all concerning the failure to drive through the proposed bus changes, RAIL Back On Track congratulates TransLink on putting together a plan that finally gave Brisbane and SEQ a chance of moving to a better public transport network.  The plan was informed by best practise planning principles, would have resulted in better frequency and efficiency, worked better with all modes, bus rail and ferry, and would have allowed a much better fare system to be implemented.

The failure of the Minister for Transport to support TransLink  is very disappointing.  This backward step to hand back bus planning to BCC is going to cost Brisbane and Queensland dearly.

The reason why the network is in such a mess is because of the BCC. The opportunity to start to sort it properly now has been lost.

Sad day for Queensland indeed.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Now that we know that Brisbane Transport refused to cooperate, helps explain some of the secondary route issues particularly.

Obviously the Council wanted this to fail.  They are more interested in their own political bailiwicks than genuine improvements for public transport.  Very sad this realisation now on show for all ...

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

22nd March 2013

Brisbane Transport not a team player

Greetings,

This morning on 612 ABC Radio the Minister for Transport and myself were interviewed.  Interviews -->  http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013/03/bue-review-gets-passed-to-brisbane-city-council.html

During Mr Emerson's interview he indicated that Brisbane Transport did not cooperate with TransLink with respect to the review.  He has in fact rewarded Brisbane Transport for being intransigent.

Now that we know that Brisbane Transport refused to cooperate, helps explain some of the secondary route issues particularly.

Obviously the Brisbane City Council wanted this to fail.  They are more interested in their own political bailiwicks than genuine improvements for public transport.

Very sad this realisation now on show for all ...

Best wishes

Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

techblitz

So he rewards them.   Very strange logic, and why this process is alarming, to say the least.

i dont see  them being rewarded at all.......Some very hard ultimatums will be dished out to BT over the coming months...(CC congestion is the entree)
Emerson has been been made to look like a fool by handing power back to them....but i cant imagine him wanting to repeat the processn by allowing BT to take a`casual` approach on the situation.
im sure this guy will expect results just like any other minister.Its all been tabled...BT know they have stuffed up and are probably now already in recovery mode.

ozbob

ABC Announcer Kelly Higgins-Devine suggested they were ' rewarded ' during the interviews  and I agree.  It is a play on words.  The fact of the matter is I don't think they will do much, they are trying to build a mess to support the CBD bus tunnel plan.  Which by the way will just mean a conga line of buses in a tunnel.

Simple effective measures can be done at CC, but again they won't.  Destroys the bus tunnel plan ...

Looking forward to the next Council Election ...

ozbob

Channel 10 News will be running a story on the bus review at 5pm today ..

somebody

Quote from: techblitz on March 22, 2013, 12:01:19 PM

i dont see  them being rewarded at all.......Some very hard ultimatums will be dished out to BT over the coming months...(CC congestion is the entree)
Emerson has been been made to look like a fool by handing power back to them....but i cant imagine him wanting to repeat the processn by allowing BT to take a`casual` approach on the situation.
im sure this guy will expect results just like any other minister.Its all been tabled...BT know they have stuffed up and are probably now already in recovery mode.
Bet they respond with public threats about service downgrades which they will blame on the state.

It will certainly be an interesting duel.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on March 22, 2013, 12:14:44 PM
The fact of the matter is I don't think they will do much, they are trying to build a mess to support the CBD bus tunnel plan.  Which by the way will just mean a conga line of buses in a tunnel.

Simple effective measures can be done at CC, but again they won't.  Destroys the bus tunnel plan ...

Looking forward to the next Council Election ...
The bus tunnel plan is half a plan and stupid.  South Bank and Mater Hill aren't far behind the Cultural Centre in a lack of excess capacity.  Having additional capacity at the Cultural Centre will do little.

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-live-at-work-friday-march-22-20130322-2gjhh.html

1:31pm Bridie Jabour: The Brisbane City Council is set to do its own consultation after taking over the state government's controversial bus review. While happy to take it on, the BCC have been scrambling to figure out the logistics of doing the review after Transport Minister Scott Emerson dumped it on them yesterday while the spill-that-was-not-a-spill was happening. The cynical among us would say he was hoping the news would be buried.

The BCC have decided it is going to consult with residents on its own review and will open up submissions from April 22 to May 20. It is understood they will consider some of the thousands submissions made to the original review though they have been dubbed "too wide-ranging".

No word on exactly when people will find out if their bus route is staying or going or changing.

ozbob

Bit odd, according to the LM the bus network is fine .. lol

:P

techblitz

Quote from: ozbob on March 22, 2013, 12:14:44 PM
The fact of the matter is I don't think they will do much, they are trying to build a mess to support the CBD bus tunnel plan.

perhaps it might be time to get a definiitaive answer and push this question to them to see thier response.Or at least getting some of the journos to ask the head honchos if this is indeed thier strategy.

ozbob

Something like that will be closely guarded until the big announcement, due mid year I think  ....

Not many good journos left I am afraid, they have mostly moved on ...

ozbob

BCC is only reviewing their area by the way.  Some punters think they are doing all regions, not the case ..

The submissions from the areas other than Brisbane, relatively few in number will be used by TransLink and others as needed.

nathandavid88

Quote from: ozbob on March 22, 2013, 13:46:54 PM
Brisbanetimes --> http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-live-at-work-friday-march-22-20130322-2gjhh.html

1:31pm Bridie Jabour: The Brisbane City Council is set to do its own consultation after taking over the state government's controversial bus review. While happy to take it on, the BCC have been scrambling to figure out the logistics of doing the review after Transport Minister Scott Emerson dumped it on them yesterday while the spill-that-was-not-a-spill was happening. The cynical among us would say he was hoping the news would be buried.

The BCC have decided it is going to consult with residents on its own review and will open up submissions from April 22 to May 20. It is understood they will consider some of the thousands submissions made to the original review though they have been dubbed "too wide-ranging".

No word on exactly when people will find out if their bus route is staying or going or changing.

Brisbane Times have put up the full story:

QuoteCouncil to call for submissions into own bus review
Date
March 22, 2013 - 1:53PM
30 reading nowBe the first to comment Read later

Bridie Jabour
brisbanetimes.com.au reporter

The Brisbane City Council has announced consultation dates into its own bus review after the state government shelved its controversial review and flicked it to the council.

The BCC have been scrambling to figure out the logistics of their review since Transport Minister Scott Emerson announced the move on Thursday just an hour after Prime Minister Julia Gillard declared a leadership ballot.

The BCC has decided to do its own consultation about bus routes with residents from April 22 to May 20.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said a new review was necessary because the state government's one had been completely scrapped.

"Brisbane's bus network isn't broken and doesn't need a radical overhaul like the one proposed by Translink, which is why I've scrapped it now that the state government has handed council control," Cr Quirk said.

"However I also want to make sure residents are able to have another say given I have made it clear that council's review is to focus on the evolution of existing services, not a revolution that tips the way we currently catch buses on its head.

"Reviews are an important part of ensuring any business runs well and I think these time frames show that we're being considered in our approach whilst not dragging the chain."

While Cr Quirk said some of the submissions to the original review would be "considered", it is understood thousands of them will be ignored.

The council is yet to set a date for the release of their recommendations but it is understood few, if any, bus routes will be completely scrapped.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/council-to-call-for-submissions-into-own-bus-review-20130322-2gkh7.html#ixzz2OEtc5k7N

ozbob

Thanks.  The so called 'story' is the Brisbane live update and half of yesterdays article ... ho humm ...

kazzac

If BCC take over the bus review,that means Bulimba won't be getting a high frequency route anymore?
only an occasional PT user now!

somebody

Quote from: kazzac on March 22, 2013, 15:56:01 PM
If BCC take over the bus review,that means Bulimba won't be getting a high frequency route anymore?
It never really was.  Just as far as Morningside.

Mr X

I wonder if the 196 is still going to be extended? Probably unlikely if the 105 has to stay  :pr
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

Twitter

Jarrett Walker ‏@humantransit 4m

Brisbane bus fiasco easily avoided if city staff had read my book. http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/03/22/3721696.htm ..."

colinw

Brisbane bus fiasco might have easily been avoided if BCC was stripped of all network planning powers, and Brisbane Transport was just another outsourced bus operator like Clarks or Veolia.

ozbob

Yes, interesting that the other regions the feedback and plans overall progressed well.  The operators were all involved directly in the review, all except .... Brisbane Transport.  Certainly showed ..

The longer term hope would be an ALP Council with an ALP State Government.  Then they might be able to sort it once and for all.  Until then Brisbane will be condemned to mediocrity and ongoing politicisation of public transport to the serious detriment of all.

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on March 22, 2013, 12:40:07 PM
Channel 10 News will be running a story on the bus review at 5pm today ..

Nice little story on the buses.  Excellent balance and good quotes from Mr Addison.

Thanks 10 and Mr Addison.

:-t

#Metro

I actually think there is still hope for this review actually. See, there is no reason why BCC can't do it's consultation independent of the current one going. Although I loathe that this is now the FOURTH consultation on the same issue!!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

I think there is a way out, and that is to simply say that the standard is 7 passengers per bus on average, the subsidy for that is x, and then between 7 and 14 passengers, the subsidy is XX and above that it is XXX...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

🡱 🡳