• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

SEQ Bus Network Review

Started by ozbob, September 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

This is just another visitation of utter bastardry on ordinary people by a Council that really doesn't give a sh%t about making the public transport system workable.  It's all pollyticks.
Ride the G:

minbrisbane

I suppose that's a little sensationalist, but I'm almost certain many changes will now not go ahead as recommended.

nathandavid88

Just noticed one thing that Emerson said that might be of importance:

QuoteTransport Minister Scott Emerson has announced that Brisbane City Council will now make any bus route changes.
"This network in Brisbane will remain as it is unless BCC decides changes will be made," Mr Emerson said.
Any changes BCC decides to make has to come from their budget.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-live/brisbane-live-at-work-thursday-march-21-20130321-2ggu1.html#ixzz2O9CsCWgy

Maybe this is not a submission move, but the government saying "Don't like our changes? Fix it yourself, at your cost" with the intention of making council accept the bulk of the changes under fear of having to put their hand in their own pocket otherwise.

I can hope at least...

nathandavid88

Also, apparently Quirk will be addressing the press at 3:30pm regarding Emerson's comments... let's see what happens there first before we continue doing this -->  :frs:

ozbob

Quote from: SurfRail on March 21, 2013, 14:59:34 PM
This is just another visitation of utter bastardry on ordinary people by a Council that really doesn't give a sh%t about making the public transport system workable.  It's all pollyticks.

An opportunity to finally break the BCC political nexus on public transport, and improve it not only for BCC area but SEQ generally gone.

It matters little what Quirk and Emerson say from here, nothing  is really going to change.  More bus congestion, ignore rail, more air transport, escalating fares.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

nathandavid88

If there was any bluff on Emerson's behalf, Quirk has called it.

3:29pm Katherine Feeney: I've just had the official response from Brisbane's Lord Mayor Graham Quirk in relation to the State Government's announcement BCC is to take charge of bus route changes under the SEQ bus review.
We've got our chief reporter Tony Moore at the press conference, but here's a few key points from Cr Quirk:
"I want to assure residents that the group of proposed changes put forward by the State Government are off the table.
"I only want to see sensible change and if there are to be any changes we will consult closely with the community.
"Council is now in charge of this review and this is good news for the travelling public."
A bit light on detail. We'll bring you more information as it comes to hand..

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-live/brisbane-live-at-work-thursday-march-21-20130321-2ggu1.html#ixzz2O9LXsPHu

:frs: :frs: :frs: :frs:

ozbob

Suckers Brisbane ...

QuoteKatherine Feeney: I've just had the official response from Brisbane's Lord Mayor Graham Quirk in relation to the State Government's announcement BCC is to take charge of bus route changes under the SEQ bus review.

We've got our chief reporter Tony Moore at the press conference, but here's a few key points from Cr Quirk:

"I want to assure residents that the group of proposed changes put forward by the State Government are off the table.

"I only want to see sensible change and if there are to be any changes we will consult closely with the community.

"Council is now in charge of this review and this is good news for the travelling public."

A bit light on detail. We'll bring you more information as it comes to hand...

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-live/brisbane-live-at-work-thursday-march-21-20130321-2ggu1.html

ozbob

Twitter

Robyn Ironside ‏@ironsider 44s

Lord Mayor Quirk confirms bus network review has been binned. BCC to start from scratch. #qldpol

colinw

Quote from: SurfRail on March 21, 2013, 14:21:01 PM
That's it.

I officially give up.

Brisbane can go rot.
+1.   My next home will not be in SEQ, and with any luck will be in 5'3" territory.

Public transport, and the State in general, is being run by amateurs, incompetents, knaves & fools.

Emerson is a spineless twit who is hopelessly out of his depth as Minister for T & MR.  He must go.

SurfRail

^ Just Brisbane and anywhere immediately north or west of it really. 

Gold Coast is fine and still has a very bright future, so too I expect do Cairns and Townsville and some of the other coastal towns.  (Obviously not a lot of call for your expertise down this way though.)
Ride the G:

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

21 March 2013

Public 'thank you' to TransLink

Greetings,

Despite the myopia on display for all concerning the failure to drive through the proposed bus changes, RAIL Back On Track congratulates TransLink on putting together a plan that finally gave Brisbane and SEQ a chance of moving to a better public transport network.  The plan was informed by best practise planning principles, would have resulted in better frequency and efficiency, worked better with all modes, bus rail and ferry, and would have allowed a much better fare system to be implemented.

The failure of the Minister for Transport to support TransLink  is very disappointing.  This backward step to hand back bus planning to BCC is going to cost Brisbane and Queensland dearly.

The reason why the network is in such a mess is because of the BCC. The opportunity to start to sort it properly now has been lost.

Sad day for Queensland indeed.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

petey3801

Well, what a waste of time all that was. Might have to really start thinking about relocating elsewhere, if this is the best we're ever going to get...  :fp:
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

ozbob

This is disgusting this outcome.  They will change nothing, continue to see rail as opposition.  People will not be able to get onto the network.

nathandavid88

4:06pm Tony Moore: (Live from Quirk's press call) "I think this is a win for the people", Lord Mayor Graham Quirk has concluded in relation to the Newman Government's decision to hand responsibility for bus route changes to City Hall.

He said Brisbane City Council - which contributes $130 million to running Translink's bus network - did not believe there was a need for such a broad review.

"My view was that Brisbane's bus services were not broken with annual patronage increasing from 48 million to 80 million since 2004."

The State Government proposals are now "off the table",Cr Quirk said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-live/brisbane-live-at-work-thursday-march-21-20130321-2ggu1.html#ixzz2O9We4PQl

So...does this mean that, with bus transport planning effectively out of Translink's hands, they will direct their time and energy at trains, something the BCC has no say in?

minbrisbane

What a bloody joke.  I'm speechless.

#Metro

THE MINISTER MUST RESIGN IMMEDIATELY.
RESIGN RESIGN RESIGN

Translink is a lapdog to the BCC!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

petey3801

Quote"I think this is a win for the people", Lord Mayor Graham Quirk has concluded in relation to the Newman Government's decision to hand responsibility for bus route changes to City Hall.

He said Brisbane City Council - which contributes $130 million to running Translink's bus network - did not believe there was a need for such a broad review.

"My view was that Brisbane's bus services were not broken with annual patronage increasing from 48 million to 80 million since 2004."

The State Government proposals are now "off the table",Cr Quirk said.

(Bolding mine)

That tells you everything you need to know about the mindset of BCC, as well as telling you everything about what will change - Zip.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

colinw

So what happens to the review in the non-BCC areas?

#Metro

The minister its not fit to run the department. If I did that at work - palm off my responsibilities - id be fired! The minister is not fit for the job. Ozbob our gazza, are you calling a press conference?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Mr X

So let's get this straight:
- no fix to the haphazard route planning
- cultural centre delays will continue to get worse. more wasteful empty buses
pouring through, wasting money
- no service extension to key corridors and areas- Yeronga, Logan Rd, Mt Ommaney, East Brisbane
- Diabolical city stop placing to continue
- Excessive bus Duplication to continue along Mains Rd, Old Cleveland Rd and Gympie Road
etc etc... absolute shambles. Emerson should be ashamed of himself and must resign as transport minister.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

nathandavid88

Quote from: colinw on March 21, 2013, 16:48:30 PM
So what happens to the review in the non-BCC areas?

I'd say Logan's major changes won't occur and the status quo will remain (the major one was the 111+555 merger), but a bit of tinkering around the outside. Any other areas where bus routes travel into Brisbane likewise I suspect might be more or less the same, with only light tinkering.

Gold Coast might be the only region where all the changes could be implemented.

colinw

Well, that was a CFWOT.  Emerson is unfit to occupy the office he does.  Complete abrogation of his responsibility as minister.

ozbob

General mail from BCC:

==============

The State Government's proposed bus review changes are off the table

"The State Government this afternoon has handed its review of bus services within Brisbane City over to Council.

Firstly, I want to assure residents that the group of proposed changes put forward by the State Government are off the table.
This is good news for Brisbane's travelling public and I welcome the announcement.

It is my view that the proposed changes represented a revolution rather than an evolution in public transport services.
My view was that Brisbane's bus services were not broken with annual patronage increasing from 48 million passengers to 80 million since 2004 - so a major overhaul was not required.

This is not the first time Council has reviewed bus services - up to 2004 we did it on a regular basis as required.
I only want to see sensible change and if there are to be any changes we will consult closely with the community.

In conclusion I stress that the group of proposals put forward by the State Government are off the table - Council is now in charge of this review and this is good news for the travelling public."
Graham Quirk
LORD MAYOR

HappyTrainGuy

F*********************************************************************K YOU! Just when it looked like we might be getting a proper bus and feeder network.

:fp:

Mr X

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on March 21, 2013, 17:24:39 PM
F*********************************************************************K YOU!

+1

The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

BrizCommuter

Updated blog post.
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/seq-bus-network-review-gets-messy.html
MP Scott Emerson should resign over such a bad change management process.

HappyTrainGuy

*Gets the 338 boardgame timetable out of the bin*

SurfRail

Ride the G:

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: SurfRail on March 21, 2013, 17:35:01 PM
Route 314 is safe!

An upside. HOORAY!   :-r

But seriously god damn what a giantic.... arguh. Just gutless. Who the hell is running the PT network State Government. Brisbane City Council or Translink?  :steam:

colinw

Ah, sod it, its all too hard.

Just run buses along the old tram routes with the same route number as the tram had. (Or a 1- on the front to indicate its a bus).  Remember that if your bus route appears to be approaching the vicinity of a rail station, it will take a hard left or right turn to ensure it terminates just out of walking range of the station.

If we're going to live in the past, we may as well do it in style.

Now, off to catch my DD17 hauled Evans Cars home.  :lo

ozbob

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on March 21, 2013, 17:38:20 PM
Quote from: SurfRail on March 21, 2013, 17:35:01 PM
Route 314 is safe!

An upside. HOORAY!   :-r

But seriously god damn what a giantic.... arguh. Just gutless. Who the hell is running the PT network State Government. Brisbane City Council or Translink?  :steam:

I don't know how to break this too you HTG, so I will be direct ....

Noddy is running the network ...

Here he is -->

colinw

Neil Scales must be wondering what sort of 3rd rate Hicksville he has wandered into. I imagine he will pocket some cash and wander off to more enlightened jurisdictions in due course. QLD & TransLink is a complete and utter waste of his abilities.

somebody

I for one am not at all surprised by this.  Too many degradations in service were proposed with little reason given.

What would have been an OK outcome is to go back to the proposals in phase two.

HappyTrainGuy

I was honestly actually looking forward to a better PT network up this way/on the northside. Some of the route changes up here seemed bad but the secondary network really needed rough times to put it into perspective. The 338/357/359 mess through Albany Creek, Eatons Hill, Brendale and Strathpine had been addressed. At last there was a direct Strathpine-Sandgate route (replacing the 326/327). Waste such as the 328 and 329 were being removed and replaced with routes that were extended and provided interchange links (the one way peak hour only 329 went from the forest in Craseldine that was labeled as "Bracken Ridge to Carseldine" to a Strathpine-Chermside route via Bracken Ridge which also replaced the 327, 335 and 334 through Bald Hills/Bracken Ridge/East Aspley/Chermside. 328 was replaced with the Chermside North loop which replaced a whole giant chunk of routes such as the 310, 315, 325, 326, 327, 335, 340, 341, 346). Waste in the Gympie Road corridor had been adressed with the merger of the 330, 333 and 340 buzes (I know some people whinge about being able to have such a good frequency late at night but these routes excluding the 333 are just a absolute massive waste).

#Metro

This is one of the worst cases of regulatory capture I have ever seen. Translink is supposed to be regulating the operators, not the other way around. You may as well hand over the translink credit card to the BCC or write  them a blank cheque. The minister is acting outside the act.

techblitz

Quote from: Simon on March 21, 2013, 17:52:52 PM
I for one am not at all surprised by this.  Too many degradations in service were proposed with little reason given.

What would have been an OK outcome is to go back to the proposals in phase two.

+1 simon

ozbob

From the Couriermail Quest click here!

Controversial changes to the bus network across Brisbane have been scrapped

QuoteControversial changes to the bus network across Brisbane have been scrapped

by: Peta Fuller, City North News
    March 21, 2013 4:52PM

CHANGES to the bus network across Brisbane have been scrapped with Brisbane City Council taking on the review process and heading back to the drawing board.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said they were looking for ``small, sensible changes'' to services and were still aiming for the state government's June 1 deadline.

''We will be undertaking a review but what was on the table is now off the table,'' Cr Quirk said.

''We will now have to look quickly look at what the services are, there has been a raft of work done by Translink I would hope they would make that available to us, and we will take it forward from there.''

Robert Dow from public transport advocacy group RAIL Back on Track slammed the move and said it was a sad day for the state's transport.

''Brisbane City Council will continue to create one of the most inefficient bus networks in the world, created around political need,'' Mr Dow said.

''At the moment the bus network is so complex it cannot be effectively mapped.''

He said while they identified some issues with the plan, ultimately it was heading in the right direction.

''Translink had to sell it and they didn't sell it,'' he said.

''It's going to become more difficult to get the fare decreases needed.''

Cr Quirk said they were grateful for the opportunity to take control of the review but the savings the state government were looking for are unlikely to be met.

''Clearly by saying they will only change what Brisbane City Council wants changed, I think that's a statement that they are saying any cost savings that they might have been seeking were also off the table.''

He said while ultimately it was Translink's responsibility, they were pleased to be taking over the process.

somebody

Quote from: techblitz on March 21, 2013, 18:03:54 PM
+1 simon
I wasn't expecting anyone to agree with me.  There you go!

🡱 🡳