Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: South East Busway Extension  (Read 5471 times)

colinw

South East Busway Extension
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Construction of the short Eight Mile Plains to Rochedale (Underwood Road) extension of the South East Busway was due to commence in the 2nd half of this year, along with the planned changes to the Gateway Motorway to South East Freeway junction.  Click here for details.

The last project update was in March 2012, before the election.

Has anyone heard anything about this project?  Is it still happening?

A search of ministerial media releases for the new Government reveals nothing, the only time the word "busway" appears is with reference to the Northern Busway opening.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: South East Busway Extension
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
The Fat Controller responds:  "  2031!  " ....
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

colinw

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Isn't it about time we "moved forward" our target date for unfunded pie-in-the-sky projects to 2037?

As an aside, it is aesthetically pleasing if the delivery date for such projects is always of the form 20xx, where xx is a prime number.  Thus 2031, then 2037, 2041, 2043, 2047 ...  :hg

somebody

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
NSW's date is 2036, so xx is a perfect square.

The Springwood extension has been talked about for so long it isn't funny.  I'd like to see it happen, and have a 111 extension to Springwood.

colinw

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Didn't know NSW was using 2036.  I'm sure I've seen 2031 somewhere else as well - Perth perhaps?

I agree completely about extension to Springwood.  The Rochedale South bit by itself seems a tad useless, and was really just to dovetail with the Gateway merge works, but Springwood with an extension of the 111 would be a real winner!

The reason I mention it is because TransLink still link to the project, and the project pages are still up on TMR.  In March the construction of the Rochedale bit was announced as being "fast tracked" to the 2nd half of this year.

But since the LNP got in ... silence.  Nothing to say if it is proceeding as planned, deferred or cancelled.

achiruel

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
I agree completely about extension to Springwood.  The Rochedale South bit by itself seems a tad useless, and was really just to dovetail with the Gateway merge works, but Springwood with an extension of the 111 would be a real winner!

While I would prefer extension to Springwood, Rochedale by itself is not useless as it would allow buses to bypass the worst of the traffic jam occurs where 3 lane of M3 and 3 lanes of M1 get squashed into 3 lanes within the space of 2km.

colinw

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
Good point. I was thinking in terms of that part of Rochedale as a destination, not in terms of operational benefit to buses to Springwood & Loganholme.

Offline nathandavid88

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
From today's Local Quest Rag (Albert & Logan News):

Councillor concerned by busway

A LOGAN Councillor has raised concerns over the safety of school children after seeing detailed plans for the extension of the South East Busway to Rochedale.

Cr Lisa Bradley (Division 1) said she believed the extension could increase traffic pressures on already congested local roads and intersections due to exiting buses.

She said with local schools situated around the busway end- point at School Rd, Rochedale, she was concerned for the safety of school children.

‘‘The number of schools in the area already generates a lot of traffic,’’ she said.

‘‘I voiced my concerns to the department in January but they’ve refused to tell me how many more buses will be in the area when the extension is finished.’’

Cr Bradley said she wanted an upgrade of the blackspot intersection at School and Underwood roads to alleviate the pressure of exiting vehicles. ‘‘It’s already a bad intersection and I have asked for a (council) report.’’

Cr Bradley said extending the busway to Springwood would be a long-term aim but in the interim, an intersection upgrade including traffic lights was her main priority for Rochedale.

A spokesperson for the Minister for Transport and Main Roads would not say how many more buses would use the Rochedale extension but that the bus network review was now open for public comment.

Construction on the extension is due to begin this year.

colinw

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »
Yeah, that's right councillor. Improved public transport is going to make the roads worse.

Remember that WE vote these buffoons in, and they reflect the views of society as a whole.

I bloody give up!  :conf

The new busway station being planned will be very close to Eight Mile Plains State School, but also very handy to the just opened and somewhat poorly named "Freeway Office Park", which is actually only accessible by road from the southbound lanes of Logan Road.

This busway section will also somewhat speed up bus services to Rochedale & Springwood, avoiding the horrible freeway merge or the big loop around Miles Platting Road.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:56:09 AM by colinw »

somebody

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
Remember that WE vote these buffoons in, and they reflect the views of society as a whole.
Hear here!  About time that the voters take responsibility for the standard of the politicians that they elect.

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
Hear here!  About time that the voters take responsibility for the standard of the politicians that they elect.

:-r :-r :-r :-r
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline nathandavid88

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »
Yeah, that's right councillor. Improved public transport is going to make the roads worse.

I bloody give up!  :conf

The new busway station being planned will be very close to Eight Mile Plains State School, but also very handy to the just opened and somewhat poorly named "Freeway Office Park", which is actually only accessible by road from the southbound lanes of Logan Road.

This busway section will also somewhat speed up bus services to Rochedale & Springwood, avoiding the horrible freeway merge or the big loop around Miles Platting Road.

Actually, she does have a point... possibly. This project will essentially create a link from the South East busway which funnels directly onto Priestdale Road and intersects with School Road. It's the possibility of there being additional buses that would be funnelled onto these roads that she has an issue with, mainly because she can't get an answer from the Dept. Is it proposed that the 555 will be rerouted along School Road and via the connection to Eight Mile Plains, for example.

Also, there's no busway station included with this project at all. It's purely the road link, which is being bundled in with upgrades to the Gateway Connection. It's mainly just to create the connection needed for a future Busway Extension to Springwood. There's no huge benefit to it on it's own, except for services going to/through Rochedale.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/G/Gateway-Upgrade-South-GUS-projects.aspx

Offline Andrew

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
They've started works on the busway extention now with piling and drainage works it would appear at the southbound onramp to the Gateway at Miles Platting Road.  FYI there is another busway station planned at Rochedale South but it puzzles me why they don't put it in as part of this project, even if the buses had to use the road to get to it.  I remember being told that many people from that area use 8MP busway Park & Ride.  It would seem logical to me to put in Rochedale South in at the same time (it's location is at the far right of the map nestled between Underwood Road, the M1 and School Road where the North indicator is). It should be easy enough to extend say the 111, 162 and 169.  That should provide an excellent service seven days a week in conjunction with the 555 and P88 (if they don't axe the weekend service).

Offline Set in train

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
there is another busway station planned at Rochedale South but it puzzles me why they don't put it in as part of this project, even if the buses had to use the road to get to it.  I remember being told that many people from that area use 8MP busway Park & Ride.  It would seem logical to me to put in Rochedale South in at the same time (it's location is at the far right of the map nestled between Underwood Road, the M1 and School Road where the North indicator is).

John Grant is the man, the MP that should be championing this idea, they're his commuters/voters:

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/current/list/bio?member=Grant+John

Have you suggested this idea to his office?

Of course, be prepared for the usual, "Queensland's dire budgetry position" as a reason against doing it at this time.

Offline nathandavid88

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
Running high frequency buses along School Road to a bus station up there would be a recipe for disaster, and it's exactly what Cr Bradley was worried about in that Quest story a few posts back.

There are 4 reasonably large schools very near each other in the immediate area (Rochedale Primary, Rochedale High, St Peter's and Redeemer), and as a result, these roads tend to get incredibly congested at the start and end of the school day, let alone in the afternoon peak if the highway is blocked! Add to that the fact that School Road, in it's current state as a semi-rural road, would probably disintegrate under the weight of a large number of buses going over the top and would need to be extensively upgraded to cope. Then there's the issue that to get to Springwood from there, you'd need to running the buses down Rochedale Road, a two lane suburban road with a considerable number of houses on either side that is already the main drag for the whole suburb. It would take considerably longer than using the highway, and only for a marginal benefit!

The only reason they're even doing this upgrade is so that the connection is there for any future busway extension (ie they don't have to mess with the Gateway connection). The only buses that will see any change from this will be the 576, 577, 578 and 579 Rochedale South routes, and of them it will only advantage the 2 of them that go via School Road – the other two go via Miles Platting Road and will either drive out the way it does, or will need to backtrack. 

achiruel

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
So what really needs to happen for the majority of Logan services to get any benefit is fastracking the extension of the SEB to Springwood ASAP!

When is that planned to happen does anyone know?

Offline nathandavid88

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
^^ Isn't 2036 the going date for anything transport-related being built?  ;)

Offline transnerd

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »
Hi,

I couldn't find another thread regarding this so I'm sorry if I've duplicated.

Obviously last year the Qld Government announced the M1/M3 Merge project, which as per the Fly Through Video on this site: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/P/Pacific-Motorway-Upgrade-M1-M3-Gateway-merge, includes a new bus lane to access the M1 going southbound to Springwood.

Building Queensland have stated on their website, that as part of the business case they are doing for the M1 Upgrade (Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill), that they are investigating either: widening the M1 to eight/ten lanes, or widening the M1 to eight/ten lanes and busway extension to Springwood, including cycle infrastructure. http://buildingqueensland.qld.gov.au/projects/m1-pacific-motorway-eight-mile-plains-to-daisy-hill-2/. Apparantly the business case is due Q3. But the Feds have given money towards this and it appears the state will too. It's just a matter of whether the busway is included.

Land on the corner of School Road and Underwood Roads has started to be cleared. Additionally, a lot of houses adjoining the M1 corridor on the Rochedale South and Underwood sides have been demolished (this is visible on nearmap too).

I was just curious as to whether the govt is going to go ahead with the busway extension? The M1/M3 flythrough video shows a bus lane going through the site that is cleared on the Cnr of School and Underwood Roads, but that is also the site earmarked for the Rochedale Busway Station. I think it would be a no-brainer to go ahead with the busway now while the M1 upgrades are being done. Especially with how at capacity Eight Mile Plains and the park n ride facilities are. Does anyone have any insight as to whether the busway is still being investigated to Rochedale and Springwood? Or should we have to wait and see until budget time?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan