Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: NorthShore / Doomben Line  (Read 53249 times)

Offline techblitz

Re: NorthShore / Doomben Line
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »
Anyone seen how route 304 is performing? It's good they are doing feeder bus, but I just think more could probably be done with this route, i think it's probably destined to fail and probably will not make it past the trial phase. Doesn't have enough stops and needs to run on Saturday, Eat St Markets would be well serviced by this route
Each time I have seen it pull into Doomben between 3-4pm there has never been more than 2 jump off and before it heads back out on the return run I have never seen anyone jump on.....ive asked drivers about the route and they said there are a few regulars that use the service to get around.....ive hinted to them that they should look at sending it further north to DFO/Toombul.
The demographic is there.....people with money to spend who probably also like to go to the horse races...

It's surprising that many people prefer to use the bus routes then use Ascot Station, journey is far quicker during peak as the buses get stuck on Racecourse road for 10 minutes, queuing to get onto Kingsford Smith Drive. I guess people prefer the turn up and go of 7 minute frequency of the bus compared to 30 minutes on the train.
similar to the 150 @ fruitgrove....people just prefer to stay on the bus even though they have to deal with traffic AND driver changes at GC depot

Offline #Metro

« Reply #361 on: September 03, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
Route 304
https://jp.translink.com.au/plan-your-journey/timetables/bus/t/304

So, what's the patronage on Route 304 now? Can we ask TL & BCC over twitter?

I can't believe this is how planning is done. No consultation - it just gets announced and that's it.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline Cazza

« Reply #362 on: September 03, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=13371.0

Judging by this patronage (and if my maths is correct), absolute sh!thouse.

In the 17/18 FY, there were about 260 weekdays (52 x 5).

Take off around 10 for public holidays and such (probably slightly generous- it'll do) which gives 250 days.

Currently, 20 services/day.

250 x 20 = 5000/year.

Patronage is sitting at 4,373. That means that there is less than 1 person per service.

Surely that can't be right? Although, to be fair, it doesn't really surprise me all that much considering how useless the route is.

Even my beloved 373 is doing better, boasting an impressive 7.6 people/service :-c
New Transport for Brisbane Network: https://bit.ly/35BerRD
New State Transit Network: https://bit.ly/2F386Ui

Offline techblitz

« Reply #363 on: September 03, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
just did a little check on our little 314  8)
Given its joke of a frequency it is still carrying 3 times more passengers per service than the 698 which is allocated 15 times more services.....really does show you how bad the 698 is...

But there is an even worse route than the 698.....the Northshore-Doomben route
304 coming in @ 0.89 pax per service..
I think the 304 would have to be the worst performing route in SEQ...perhaps QLD...
Cant imagine any other route out there doing worse at the moment.
If anyone can find a worse route....I'm all eyes  8) 8)

Offline #Metro

« Reply #364 on: September 03, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »

Patronage is sitting at 4,373. That means that there is less than 1 person per service.

So, someone's shoe is doing the rounds on the bus?
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline Cazza

« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
The 308 only recorded 3,984. However, I believe it only runs on Sundays to replace the GCL between Toombul and Chermside.

On a somewhat related note, I rode past the bike counter on the Bicentennial Bikeway at the Go Between Bridge at 8pm tonight and it had already counted 4,605 people today.

Offline Cazza

« Reply #366 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:33 PM »

So, someone's shoe is doing the rounds on the bus?

That, or a horse that got slightly lost when coming around the final bend of the racecourse :hg

Offline #Metro

« Reply #367 on: September 03, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
If anyone can find a worse route....I'm all eyes  8) 8)

I think BCC's Personalised Public Transport Taxi for Centenary is a contender!  :bna:

Seriously, good PT $$ are being burned on designed-to-fail services and car parks for motorists at train stations.

Not good!!

Offline techblitz

« Reply #368 on: September 14, 2019, 08:30:23 PM »
I think its still No dice on the 304 @metro....although it did manage to improve in april...it got its average up to 1.12  :bg: :bg:
FYI the route has been in service well over two years now for absolutely bugger all gain...

Offline AnonymouslyBad

« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
Yeah... I don't get the 304. Absolutely nothing attractive about that service.

The irony, of course, is that we badly need more bus routes linking to train stations - *where it makes sense*. This is not one of those examples.

Offline timh

« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
Yeah... I don't get the 304. Absolutely nothing attractive about that service.

The irony, of course, is that we badly need more bus routes linking to train stations - *where it makes sense*. This is not one of those examples.
Thats what I was thinking when this route first came up. Researched it, and on paper, it actually kinda makes sense to me? In concept anyway. A feeder bus from Hamilton Northshore to Doomben station. I think the problem is in the execution

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »
The result isn't surprising though, it's a poor route linking to the worst served line in Brisbane.

Northshore needs a proper bus route to the city - I'd go far enough to say it needs a BUZ type route given what is there and what is planned.  The density is such that 3 high-frequency routes to the CBD via Ann/Wickham would be justified - existing Blue Cityglider, Northshore route and a more sensible version of the 300.  Then rationalise everything else.
Ride the G:

Offline Cazza

« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
Found this one in the archives:

https://www.railpage.com.au/f-p536062.htm
Date: May 16, 2006
Rail Link for Hamilton
"A NEW train line could link Hamilton to the existing rail network as part of Brisbane's biggest riverfront development set to begin next year.

More than 5000 vehicle movements a day are also expected to be shifted away from the area under State Government plans to turn over 80ha of prime riverfront land to developers.

Transport Minister Paul Lucas yesterday released the master plan for Northshore Hamilton, 80ha of commercial land along 2.5km of riverfront between the Royal Queensland Golf Club and the proposed Portside Wharf cruise terminal.

The Government is set to reap more than $500 million from the sale of the land, now owned by the Port of Brisbane Corporation.

It will be developed over the next 15 years, eventually housing up to 10,000 people mainly in townhouses and apartments up to 20 storeys high, along with retail and commercial premises.

"The plan allows for a range of residential dwelling styles and densities to cater for the changing needs of Queensland households and the growing demand for riverside property in the south east," Mr Lucas said.

"It includes more than 10ha of parkland, riverfront walkways and cycle paths, all of which will help Northshore Hamilton because a hub for Brisbane residents.

"It will have integrated bus, train and ferry services that are expected to account for up to 35 per cent of all trips to and from the area during peak hours."

Plans released yesterday reveal the Government will investigate a rail connection to the centre of the development around Barcham St.

It could link the site to the existing track at Doomben. It also expects about 5500 vehicle movements a day to be redirected away as port activities are relocated to the mouth of the river.

Work on the first stage of the development is expected to start late next year and include a riverfront park with the first sale of land to developers expected in early 2008.

Property experts have predicted the Government could reap up to $1 billion from the sale of the land because of booming prices and the scarcity of riverfront land in Brisbane.

The master plan will be out for public comment until June 28."

:hg

Offline ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
Mr Lucas was very keen on the rail extension.  I remember having a meeting with him when he was Deputy Premier and we discussed the options for KSD crossing.  As usual TMR had a lot to do with sinking yet another rail project.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Instagram   Facebook  @ozbob13@mastodon.social

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan