• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

On the Bicycles

Started by ozbob, May 08, 2008, 16:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbatim9

2020-2021 Queensland Budget Highlights for major cycling infrastructure projects

QuoteSignificant active transport infrastructure projects (including some investments jointly funded with the Australian Government and local governments) include:

$23.8 million for the Cairns Southern Access Cycleway, as part of the Bruce Highway Upgrade Program
$22.5 million Queensland Government funding towards the extension of the Riverwalk from Mowbray Park to Captain Burke Park at Kangaroo Point
$19.1 million for the Bundaberg to Gin Gin rail trail between Bundaberg and Koolboo Road
$14.5 million for the Veloway 1 (V1) Cycleway at O'Keefe Street
$12.2 million for Stage 1 of the New England Highway Cycleway between Highfields and Toowoomba CBD
$10 million Queensland Government funding towards the South Brisbane bike network
$9 million in cycle network grants to the City of Gold Coast for various sections of the Gold Coast Oceanway
$6.5 million for the Beerburrum to Landsborough (Stage 1) cycleway between Beerwah and Glasshouse
$5.4 million for the North Brisbane Bikeway (Stage 4) between Rigby Street and Price Street
$4.5 million for active transport facilities on Noosa Parade between Munna Point Bridge and Garth Prowd Bridge
$4.5 million for a cycleway on Smith Street Connection Road between Olsen Avenue and Kumbari Avenue
$4 million for the V1 Cycleway on Logan Road between Levington Road and Kingston Road

verbatim9

ozbob

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/tableOffice/questionsAnswers/2020/1089-2020.pdf

Question on Notice
No. 1089

Asked on 26 November 2020

MR J KELLY ASKED MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS (HON M BAILEY)

QUESTION:

Will the Minister outline any strategies, policies, initiatives or infrastructure planned to improve
safety for cyclists in Greenslopes and Queensland?

ANSWER:

I thank the Member for Greenslopes for the question.

The Palaszczuk Government wants to see more people leave their cars at home and take up
cycling as an active, safe and healthy form of transport. This is more important than ever, as the
COVID-19 pandemic has affected how all of us live our lives, including a significant increase in
the number of people walking and riding around their neighbourhoods, suburbs and cities for
exercise, enjoyment and commuting. I am pleased to see so many more Queenslanders
experiencing the health, emotional and environmental benefits that come with active transport.
In 2017, the Palaszczuk Government released a new 10-year Queensland Cycling Strategy
2017–27 to guide our investment in this growing part of the transport system. In September 2020,
this was backed up by releasing our second two-year Queensland Cycling Action Plan to keep
us on track to achieving our vision of more cycling, more often. One of our most important actions
is continuing to invest in high quality, off-road cycling facilities that enable people of all ages and
abilities to safely ride a bike, physically separated from motor vehicle traffic.

For the residents of Greenslopes, the Veloway 1 cycleway offers a safe, direct link to Brisbane
city, the Princess Alexandra Hospital and Griffith University. In June 2020, the Palaszczuk
Government completed construction of the $45 million Veloway 1 Stage E project, giving
southside bike riders a mostly uninterrupted 17-kilometre journey from Eight Mile Plains, through
Greenslopes, to the Brisbane Central Business District (CBD).

Since 2015, the Palaszczuk Government has delivered over $220 million in bike riding
infrastructure and programs across Queensland. Investment in Greenslopes and nearby suburbs
includes projects such as the Hanlon Park Paths and Underpass Design, Kangaroo Point
Bikeway design and construction, as well as construction of Stage D of the Veloway 1 from
O'Keefe Street to Lewisham Street.

The recently released Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program 2020–21 to 2023–24
(QTRIP) represents a record investment in road and transport infrastructure for the fifth year in a
row, with $26.9 billion committed over the next four years, supporting an average of approximately
23,600 direct jobs over the life of the program. This record investment includes more than
$240 million for bike riding infrastructure, planning and programs, and walking initiatives, to
encourage more people to ride bikes and walk more often.

This investment prioritises infrastructure that physically separates bike riders from motor vehicles
and some key projects included in QTRIP are:

• Veloway 1, O'Keefe Street Bridge construction, total Queensland Government investment
of $14.5 million
• Veloway 1, Birdwood Road cycle bridge, design, total Queensland Government investment
of $1.6 million
• Riverwalk (Kangaroo Point) Mowbray Park to Captain Burke Park, total Queensland
Government investment of $22.5 million
• South Brisbane bike network, total Queensland Government investment of $10 million.
The Palaszczuk Government also recognises the increased risk facing vulnerable road users,
including bicycle riders, and is working to educate all road users on their responsibilities.
Bicycle riders are legitimate road users and have the right to be treated with courtesy and care
by other road users. This is a key area of focus in the Queensland Road Safety Strategy and
current Road Safety Action Plan 2020–21 (the Action Plan). Some initiatives from the Action Plan
that have been implemented across Queensland include:
• continual rollout of changes to the timing of pedestrian crossing lights to protect pedestrians
more as they cross the road
• investing in safe cycling, motorcycling and walking infrastructure. Through the Targeted
Road Safety Program, the Queensland Government has focused on treating the highest
risk locations, spending $77.6 million since July 2017. This includes projects providing
safety benefits for bicycle riders, pedestrians and motorcyclists. A further $44.5 million has
been programmed for work through 2020–21, which will provide further safety benefits for
vulnerable road users
• lowering speed limits in areas with high levels of pedestrian and/or cycling activity, such as
in the Brisbane CBD, on David Low Way, Coolum between Beach Road and Margaret
Street and in the Cairns CBD within Florence Street, McLeod Street, Spence Street and the
Esplanade.

Information and messaging to road users is another key approach to behaviour change and the
Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) continues to improve road use culture through
education campaigns.

For example, the 'Stay Wider of the Rider' campaign informs road users about Queensland's
Minimum Passing Distance rule and is regularly posted on TMR's social media. Bicycle rider
safety is also addressed regularly through TMR's StreetSmarts social media channels including
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube, with over 160,000 followers, and reaches over
1.5 million road users every month.

TMR's cycling-related post on 3 November 2020 encouraged drivers to check for bike riders
before they pull out from the kerb or open the driver's side door. This post reached 330,000
people and received 26,000 engagements.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

verbatim9

Indooroopilly River Walk and Cycle Way to open in May

https://youtu.be/TGvosk5UZ9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvosk5UZ9s

verbatim9

Cycling embedded into the Auckland Transport App--->Auckland Transport: New Public Transport Network Thread

^^I wonder if cycling can be incorporated into the Mytranslink App?

verbatim9

Couriermail.com.au--->Peter Gleeson: Bike riders should be held more accountable for carnage they cause

^^This is such a bullsh%t article, These sorts of articles are counter productive and wages a war with motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

This gets written about time to time and I am against cyclists rego. It has been investigated in NSW and rejected. The consensus is that cycling and active transport contributes to a healthier lifestyle, minimising the burden on our medical system and society. Many cyclists too are vehicle owners that pay rego. Rego does not pay for the road infrastructure. Rates, GST, fuel excise and other taxes do. Even if one is not a vehicle owner, they are paying for roads anyway, which includes cyclists. There is not sufficient cycling infrastructure around the State to force cyclists onto bike paths. There are only a couple of examples where cyclists are forced to use cycling infrastructure because of heavy congestion and safety reasons. The Bi Centennial bikeway due to heavily congested Coronation Drive, and the Veloway due to cyclists unable to use the Freeway. I prefer separated cycling infrastructure over general roads where its available to avoid bad drivers, congestion, and air pollution from vehicles.

verbatim9

I just have to add that, what causes more road carnage? How many accidents and deaths caused by bad driving of passenger and heavy vehicles? There are multiple everyday. How many conflicts with cyclists but are due to bad driving and heavy vehicles? Not as many as passenger and heavy vehicles alone on the road.

ozbob

brissypete

Some cyclists are dangerous, not all. Same with motorists.  Scooter riders can also be dangerous especially the Lime and Neuron public scooters.

More education, policing and better cycling infrastructure make a difference.

The main things I see other bike riders doing when cycling particularly to and from work are red light running (around Mater Hospital precinct is quite bad for this) as well as no hands on handlebars, no helmet (public escooters and city cycle mainly) and overtaking unsafely instead of waiting a few seconds longer.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

verbatim9

Apparently registration for bicycles in Qld was investigated a few years back and rejected due to being impractical.

ozbob

verbatim9

Progress on the soon to be opened Victoria Bridge Bikeway #BrisbaneCity

ozbob

tazzer9

Just remember if you use the new citylink cycleways.  Please give (please have positive) feedback to the council.  I have used it several times on lime scooters and my own personal e-scooter and love it

https://yoursay.brisbane.qld.gov.au/citylink-cycleway-trial.

verbatim9

The William St section of the Bikeway was open as from yesterday.

Cazza

Quote from: tazzer9 on March 16, 2021, 15:15:58 PM
Just remember if you use the new citylink cycleways.  Please give (please have positive) feedback to the council.  I have used it several times on lime scooters and my own personal e-scooter and love it

I personally have used the bike lanes few a handful of times but think they are amazing (and have so much potential too!). I submitted something last week basically saying that they should really look into having the main east-west city bikeway along Albert St, rather than Edward St. My main reasons being:

- To create a pedestrian/bicycle only spine all the way from Ann St to Margret or Alice Sts. As CRR (from what I am aware of) will have Albert St closed to cars between Charlotte and Mary once it opens too, it makes sense to close the whole street to cars (given the low car usage anyway). Once Albert St station is open, the sheer amount of people surfacing at this part of Albert St makes sense to pedestrianise the whole street, from both a safety and liveability sense. It will also continue the transition of discouraging cars from the CBD entirely and provide a much cleaner and greener environment for pedestrians/other CBD users.
- Provide greater access to QUT as well as the Goodwill Bridge (and all the onward destinations the Annerley Rd/Woolloongabba bikeways do and will provide). With the bikeway on Edward St, it is a bit out of the way for Uni staff/students to use (particularly with the sheer amount of people walking between here and buses from Adelaide St/King George and trains from Central). There are "platoons" of people walking up and down George St, who could potentially be using the bikeway on E-Scooters or other mobility methods. I personally use an E-Scooter from QUT to King George 2 times a week, but I have to go via Edward and Elizabeth Sts (which can be a bit of a detour). Having the bikeway down Albert St instead will allow those from the South-East of the CBD (including having a direct connection to the Goodwill Bridge via Alice St and Gardens Point Rd) much easier access into transport hubs further north in the city. The connection to the Kangaroo Point Green Bridge can still be made by having the bike lanes run on the eastern lane of Alice St (since there is already a height clearance along here due to low hanging trees, meaning buses can't use this lane anyway).
- Allow the left lane of Edward St to be a bus lane (as well as the soon to be left lane of Alice St, currently second from the left). The number of bus services along Edward and Alice Streets surely justifies it's own bus lane, given the congestion these city streets face. Also, once CRR is open, it makes sense to have as many buses as possible use this routing out of the CBD (as Albert St station covers most of the southern CBD and Edward/Alice Sts can be used for a very quick escape for buses).

I also mentioned that the connection between the Bicentennial Bikeway and the CBD really needs a major improvement (particularly from the west). The Herschel St connection is completely inadequate for the job it needs to handle and the connection up to North Quay (between Turbot and Ann) really is too steep, with limited onward bike lanes available once bikes get onto North Quay. Finally, I also noted the importance of having the northern bikeway (which comes into Roma St from the Parklands) connected to the CBD bikeway grid (this also includes the section of bikeway along George St between Herschel and Turbot Sts).

I am really excited to see the bikeway grid (and bike lanes across the CBD and beyond expanded) and they make travelling around this inner city area so easy. Having been travelling by Lime/Neuron from Woolloongabba into QUT a few times a week for the past week (and then onto King George later in the night), these bike lanes make it so much safer and appealing to most. Without them, I would have opted to walk, turning a 5 min scooter ride into a 20 min walk. I commend BCC for taking this forward step and want to continue to see this type of (very cheap) investment in the future!

verbatim9

Quote from: Cazza on March 23, 2021, 11:48:59 AM
Quote from: tazzer9 on March 16, 2021, 15:15:58 PM

I personally have used the bike lanes few a handful of times but think they are amazing (and have so much potential too!). I submitted something last week basically saying that they should really look into having the main east-west city bikeway along Albert St, rather than Edward St. My main reasons being:

- To create a pedestrian/bicycle only spine all the way from Ann St to Margret or Alice Sts. As CRR (from what I am aware of) will have Albert St closed to cars between Charlotte and Mary once it opens too, it makes sense to close the whole street to cars (given the low car usage anyway). Once Albert St station is open, the sheer amount of people surfacing at this part of Albert St makes sense to pedestrianise the whole street, from both a safety and liveability sense. It will also continue the transition of discouraging cars from the CBD entirely and provide a much cleaner and greener environment for pedestrians/other CBD users.
- Provide greater access to QUT as well as the Goodwill Bridge (and all the onward destinations the Annerley Rd/Woolloongabba bikeways do and will provide). With the bikeway on Edward St, it is a bit out of the way for Uni staff/students to use (particularly with the sheer amount of people walking between here and buses from Adelaide St/King George and trains from Central). There are "platoons" of people walking up and down George St, who could potentially be using the bikeway on E-Scooters or other mobility methods. I personally use an E-Scooter from QUT to King George 2 times a week, but I have to go via Edward and Elizabeth Sts (which can be a bit of a detour). Having the bikeway down Albert St instead will allow those from the South-East of the CBD (including having a direct connection to the Goodwill Bridge via Alice St and Gardens Point Rd) much easier access into transport hubs further north in the city. The connection to the Kangaroo Point Green Bridge can still be made by having the bike lanes run on the eastern lane of Alice St (since there is already a height clearance along here due to low hanging trees, meaning buses can't use this lane anyway).
- Allow the left lane of Edward St to be a bus lane (as well as the soon to be left lane of Alice St, currently second from the left). The number of bus services along Edward and Alice Streets surely justifies it's own bus lane, given the congestion these city streets face. Also, once CRR is open, it makes sense to have as many buses as possible use this routing out of the CBD (as Albert St station covers most of the southern CBD and Edward/Alice Sts can be used for a very quick escape for buses).

I also mentioned that the connection between the Bicentennial Bikeway and the CBD really needs a major improvement (particularly from the west). The Herschel St connection is completely inadequate for the job it needs to handle and the connection up to North Quay (between Turbot and Ann) really is too steep, with limited onward bike lanes available once bikes get onto North Quay. Finally, I also noted the importance of having the northern bikeway (which comes into Roma St from the Parklands) connected to the CBD bikeway grid (this also includes the section of bikeway along George St between Herschel and Turbot Sts).

I am really excited to see the bikeway grid (and bike lanes across the CBD and beyond expanded) and they make travelling around this inner city area so easy. Having been travelling by Lime/Neuron from Woolloongabba into QUT a few times a week for the past week (and then onto King George later in the night), these bike lanes make it so much safer and appealing to most. Without them, I would have opted to walk, turning a 5 min scooter ride into a 20 min walk. I commend BCC for taking this forward step and want to continue to see this type of (very cheap) investment in the future!
They need to investigate a shared pedestrian and cycling tunnel/underpass under North Quay from either Tank or Herschel St to the Bi Centennial Bikeway.

Pedestrian and Cycling underpass tunneling is quite cheap in the scheme of things. It would improve the cycling experience, safety and Active Transport trip times,

AnonymouslyBad

I do understand the decision to use Edward St instead of Albert.
Aside from a taxi rank and a bloody carpark exit, Albert St is already pedestrianised (or about to be) all the way from Ann to Mary. It's just not a net win for anybody to have through running cycling.

The solution is to have bike lanes on George St as well! Unless the proposed North Quay bikeway includes an amazing Bicentennial connection - which I doubt - that should be going down George St instead. Between Turbot and Elizabeth to start. Seems no more difficult than the lanes already built, and it can easily be extended to full length in future (which Albert/Edward/William can't really).

Cazza

Ideally, it would be very good to have a bikeway down both Edward St (between Alice and Elizabeth) and George St (between Alice and the current bikeway at Turbot St intersection).

But, as you've said, Albert St literally already is a traffic free zone, so why not make that final step into totally eradicating cars from it? Down in Melbourne, the Bourke St Mall has trams running down the middle of it (yes, I am aware bike lanes and tram tracks are a different kettle of fish) as well as Swanston St which has a pedestrian mall and bike lanes and tram tracks AND a tram stop too! Check out this for a busy place: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.813534,144.9655055,3a,40.6y,343.24h,83.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stxK42ccpT9jFiUehyw9VPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656.

At the end of the day, we've been to the god damn moon, so having bikes and pedestrians mix down the same street shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If you need, just have some sort of planter boxes/gardens, fences (nice looking ones with an inviting feel to them) separating the two, with dedicated pedestrian crossing points along the way. I wouldn't mind seeing George St have bike lanes as well as Edward St, but I also see Albert St as being more ideal due to the ability for it to be easily transformed into some sort of "green spine".

Cazza

James

Quote from: Cazza on March 26, 2021, 19:04:45 PM
Ideally, it would be very good to have a bikeway down both Edward St (between Alice and Elizabeth) and George St (between Alice and the current bikeway at Turbot St intersection).

But, as you've said, Albert St literally already is a traffic free zone, so why not make that final step into totally eradicating cars from it? Down in Melbourne, the Bourke St Mall has trams running down the middle of it (yes, I am aware bike lanes and tram tracks are a different kettle of fish) as well as Swanston St which has a pedestrian mall and bike lanes and tram tracks AND a tram stop too! Check out this for a busy place: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.813534,144.9655055,3a,40.6y,343.24h,83.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stxK42ccpT9jFiUehyw9VPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656.

At the end of the day, we've been to the god damn moon, so having bikes and pedestrians mix down the same street shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If you need, just have some sort of planter boxes/gardens, fences (nice looking ones with an inviting feel to them) separating the two, with dedicated pedestrian crossing points along the way. I wouldn't mind seeing George St have bike lanes as well as Edward St, but I also see Albert St as being more ideal due to the ability for it to be easily transformed into some sort of "green spine".

The reason you can have trams running down Bourke Street so comfortably is thanks to the Hoddle Grid. Bourke Street is 30m wide, so you can comfortably take 8m out for trams and have plenty of room. You also have a good balance with faster bikes being able to use the tram tracks to get through the mall.

Meanwhile, property-to-property, Albert Street is lucky to reach 18m wide. At your choke point - the carpark exit at Charlotte Street - your only option to increase pedestrian space in this area is to remove street dining if you put bike lanes in the remaining traffic lane. Similarly, the intersection of Queen & Albert Streets is chaotic enough - can you imagine how bad it would be if you added faster-moving cyclists into the mix?

Albert Street is only going to get more and more pedestrians with CRR opening, the precious space which is there should go to pedestrians, not cyclists.

Really, Brisbane's CBD has been f***ed quite badly by the decision in the 1800s that it will only ever be a convict town and there is no point bothering with streets any wider than about 20m. Fortunately later parts of Brisbane were much better planned.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

ozbob

ozbob

verbatim9

New Video for the Indooroopilly Roundabout upgrade.

Seamless pedestrian and cycling connections--->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWiiVttqRvg

ozbob

Cazza

TMR are incorporating a protected cycle intersection with their proposed intersection upgrade at Beaudesert Road and Illaweena St! https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/projects/mount-lindesay-arterial-road-beaudesert-road-and-illaweena-street-upgrade-intersection-known-as-the

This surely sets a precedent for any future upgrades along Principal Cycling Routes, particularly in busier inner city areas with more cycle movements. I have given some feedback strongly suggesting that bus lanes along Beaudesert Rd be incorporated into the design, given that Routes 140 and 150 BUZ (plus other peak hour routes) both run through here, with buses every few mins in peak hour and every 7-8 mins off-peak (on average).

Also suggested making the pedestrian crossings half crossings, so pedestrians don't have to cross 8 lanes of traffic at once (something that is both unsafe and very intimidating, especially given there are highly patronised bus stops, a shopping precinct, retirement village and medical centre surrounding the intersection). There is more than enough space on either side of the road to allow for a widened median with a pedestrian box.

Either way, this is something to celebrate and hopefully paves a way for the future. Having a guest lecturer from the Cycling team at TMR a few weeks ago, he mentioned how there has been a mindset change in recent years that with any upgrade they make, they will assume that pedestrians and cyclists will use the intersection and provide infrastructure accordingly which was pleasing to hear.

verbatim9

I saw this via email. It's a great outcome for the area. There has been a lot of accidents at the intersection over the past few years as well.

Cazza

ozbob

Queensland Parliament E-Petition

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Work-of-the-Assembly/Petitions/Petition-Details?id=3644

NORTH BRISBANE BIKEWAY – PRICE ST TO KEDRON BROOK – STAGE 5

TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland
Queensland citizens draws to the attention of the House the lack of community consultation about the proposed route for the jointly state and council funded Stage 5 of the North Brisbane bikeway from Price Street Wooloowin to Kedron Brook.

Your petitioners, therefore, request the House to stop all work for Stage 5 and work with the Brisbane City Council and local residents to investigate alternative routes for Stage 5 of the bikeway, keep the community informed of all options and consult with residents prior to finalising the route for Stage 5.

brissypete

Quote from: ozbob on November 06, 2021, 00:23:45 AM
Queensland Parliament E-Petition

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/Work-of-the-Assembly/Petitions/Petition-Details?id=3644

NORTH BRISBANE BIKEWAY – PRICE ST TO KEDRON BROOK – STAGE 5

TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland
Queensland citizens draws to the attention of the House the lack of community consultation about the proposed route for the jointly state and council funded Stage 5 of the North Brisbane bikeway from Price Street Wooloowin to Kedron Brook.

Your petitioners, therefore, request the House to stop all work for Stage 5 and work with the Brisbane City Council and local residents to investigate alternative routes for Stage 5 of the bikeway, keep the community informed of all options and consult with residents prior to finalising the route for Stage 5.
There's an online survey, there was a community session Thursday night and another today.  There's also 2 routes proposed so not finalised yet either.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

AnonymouslyBad

^ The petition also doesn't list any grievances with the design. That's fair enough as far as an "actionable" petition demand, but makes it hard to tell who created it or what their motives are.

I'd bet any money that it's a local resident(s) up in arms about the "cycle street" and the 3 minutes it might add to their car commute.
Tough bikkies, it's 2021.

Cazza

Space4Cycling has a good overview of th history and the past attempts at such a connection. Highlights how influential some of the local members are in actually stopping some of these projects to cater to the loud minority, rather than advocating for them like any progressive thinking politician would.

https://space4cyclingbne.com/2021/11/08/north-brisbane-bikeway-stage-5/?fbclid=IwAR1G3_3KXeIF-YaH1Ii1hTCNPSM8sbLjyHpCW-PQUH3-MFNLWQfvIupvIEM

Jonno

Quote from: Cazza on November 08, 2021, 21:06:38 PM
Space4Cycling has a good overview of th history and the past attempts at such a connection. Highlights how influential some of the local members are in actually stopping some of these projects to cater to the loud minority, rather than advocating for them like any progressive thinking politician would.

https://space4cyclingbne.com/2021/11/08/north-brisbane-bikeway-stage-5/?fbclid=IwAR1G3_3KXeIF-YaH1Ii1hTCNPSM8sbLjyHpCW-PQUH3-MFNLWQfvIupvIEM

The route should stick to the Dawson/Shaw Rds (North-South) and Junction Rd (East West) rather than trying to avoid having to take any road space off the major roads.  Bike lanes are as much a part of a major roads as is drainage.  Road is incomplete without it.

Cazza

I agree that it probably isn't the highest priority connection to be completed. But as you can tell by the project history, we really have to take what we can get.

And I would disagree saying that Shaw Rd is the way to go- I really don't think anyone in their right mind would want to ride up the Shaw St hill from Shaw Park. And since there really isn't anyway wanting to go to/from the Northern bikeway from there, the proposed alignment works well in that sense (as it seems fast and more direct than via Dawson, Shaw then the bikeway from Shaw Park).

You would also want a connection to the route up to Chermside (as proposed in one of the previous iterations of the project via Price St, Kent Rd and Brook St- https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-27.4116455,153.0407032/-27.4170099,153.044106/@-27.4143557,153.0412034,742m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d153.0428702!2d-27.4137809!3s0x6b915848a2d83a91:0xed2b70bfbecbaea0!1m0!3e1) and then a second connecting to Lutwyche, once again via the route that was proposed but then cancelled by the loud minority (via Wellington and Bradshaw Sts).

It just comes down to BCC's willingness to cater for the silent majority vs the loud minority. I went out on a ride tonight and noticed just how much great cycling infrastructure and shared paths there are out there (particularly on the inner south-east around Coorparoo and Norman Park), but no one really uses it as it's not connected to a complete network. https://www.google.com/maps/@-27.4789914,153.0540934,579m/data=!3m1!1e3 This shared path from Norman St to Hilton St is a great piece of infrastructure, providing an alternative to the dangerous Wynnum Rd. But it just doesn't really connect well at either end to the broader cycling network (doesn't quite make it to Lytton/Wynnum Rds in the west of Crown St/Bennetts Rd in the east). Or how the Woolloongabba Bikeway just ends abruptly at the busy Ipswich Rd intersection and doesn't connect to the very important Norman Creek Bikeway near Wellington Rd.

Just head over to Europe and look at how easily and cheaply some of this cycle infrastructure has been put in (especially compared to road "upgrades"), yet how safe and effective it is. This is even down London's very narrow "major" roads where room has been found for cyclists as well as a number of floating bus stops! Also note how many bollards have been put in local streets to stop rat running and create much more safer and pleasant neighbourhoods (note the 20mph/approx. 32kmh speed limits down busy vehicle streets too).

We need to do more of this here, and this new bikeway extension is a great start. As much as we need to advocate for the best outcomes, we need to advocate for outcomes nonetheless. We cannot let this third attempt at a Kedron Brook-North Brisbane Bikeway fall through.

Cazza

ozbob

ozbob

🡱 🡳