• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Multiple track closures

Started by BribieG, May 23, 2012, 17:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BribieG

I was under the impression that when QR brought in the "rolling" schedule of weekend track closures for maintenance then only one line would be closed a few times a year. Here they seem to have escalated it to two tracks in one weekend, namely the entire Bris to N Gympie, and also parcelled in Shorncliffe : http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1336535548

ozbob

This year there have been a number of very major track closures involving multiple lines.

It does appear that a significant effort is being made to address a lingering maintenance deficit.

eg.

Roma St-Y'Pilly, Corinda & Murarrie track closure  17-18 March.
http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=3025.msg90938#msg90938

The Sunshine Coast line has had a lot of closures, as too Ipswich - Rosewood, which takes out Richlands as well.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

HappyTrainGuy

The Northgate station track work requires the subs/mains closed for passenger traffic due to heavy vehicles blocking/parked along with track crew using the two centre tracks for a majority of the closure along with the overhead power being isolated. Narrangba has massive station works going (IIRC it requires overhead power to be off as workers/equipment will be close to the wires). Shorncliffe line is just an innocent party due to Northgate being out of action - just like Richlands. Sandgate works was pushed back to fit into the Northgate closure works to avoid two closures on the Shorncliffe line.

somebody

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on May 23, 2012, 18:18:06 PM
The Northgate station track work requires the subs/mains closed for passenger traffic due to heavy vehicles blocking/parked along with track crew using the two centre tracks for a majority of the closure. Narrangba has massive station works going (IIRC it requires overhead power to be off as workers/equipment will be close to the wires). Shorncliffe line is just an innocent party due to Northgate being out of action - just like Richlands. Sandgate works was pushed back to fit into the Northgate closure works to avoid two closures on the Shorncliffe line.
Hmm.  Could they use Northgate #1 still?

What trains will serve Albion and Wooloowin on Sunday?

I was about to put this question into the journey planner but i realised it wouldn't tell me, and neither does the announcement!

petey3801

Quote from: Simon on May 23, 2012, 18:25:05 PM
Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on May 23, 2012, 18:18:06 PM
The Northgate station track work requires the subs/mains closed for passenger traffic due to heavy vehicles blocking/parked along with track crew using the two centre tracks for a majority of the closure. Narrangba has massive station works going (IIRC it requires overhead power to be off as workers/equipment will be close to the wires). Shorncliffe line is just an innocent party due to Northgate being out of action - just like Richlands. Sandgate works was pushed back to fit into the Northgate closure works to avoid two closures on the Shorncliffe line.
Hmm.  Could they use Northgate #1 still?

What trains will serve Albion and Wooloowin on Sunday?

I was about to put this question into the journey planner but i realised it wouldn't tell me, and neither does the announcement!

From the Translink site quoted in the OP:
Quote from: TranslinkShorncliffe line

Trains will operate to Eagle Junction.

Customers for stations between Toombul and Shorncliffe must transfer to a bus replacement service at Bowen Hills.

Buses will transport customers to all stations betweenToombul and Shorncliffe.
Caboolture and Sunshine Coast lines

Trains will operate to Eagle Junction.

Customers for stations between Toombul and Caboolture, Nambour and Gympie North will transfer to a bus replacement service at Bowen Hills.

Buses will transport customers to all stations between Toombul and Caboolture, Nambour and Gympie North.

Please note: the Airport, Ferny Grove and Doomben lines will be unaffected by this closure.

I have my fingers crossed that this may include some works to fix up the EJ - Toombul section (outside of Airport line hours for the subs at least) now that the Airport Link works have finished, hopefully allowing the speed of the tracks to be increased back up to 100km/h...
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

somebody

^ What trains, how often?  I find it unlikely that Albion and Wooloowin will still have a 15 minute frequency service.

petey3801

Quote from: Simon on May 23, 2012, 18:38:38 PM
^ What trains, how often?  I find it unlikely that Albion and Wooloowin will still have a 15 minute frequency service.

Both Caboolture and Shorncliffe trains will run to EJ, so Albion and WW will still have their 15min frequencies. It's just the people who are going beyond there that need to change at Bowen Hills, it'd probably be quicker to change at Bowen Hills and run express to Toombul on the bus than change at EJ and run from there.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

Set in train

Track closures were mentioned in state parli on Thu:

"Public Transport
Hon. SA EMERSON (Indooroopilly—LNP) (Minister for Transport and Main Roads) (9.53 am):
The LNP Newman government will be a passenger focused government and will take steps to
encourage people back onto public transport. From next month Queensland Rail will publish a list of
maintenance track closures over the next 12 to 18 months for event goers, whether they are football
fans, music lovers or show goers. Queensland Rail will consult with event organisers to ensure that
organisers can plan their events around track closures and, if changes are necessary, this can be done
well before there is any cost to taxpayers.
There will be a passenger friendly and community focused approach that was sadly lacking under
Labor. Why are we doing this? On 17 May I advised the House that in January, under the former1 May 2012 State Development, Infrastructure and Industry Committee 349
minister for transport and current Leader of the Opposition, a track closure was scheduled to coincide
with the Ipswich show. I can advise the House that also under the previous minister track closures were
scheduled between Toombul and Gympie North and between Toombul and Shorncliffe on the same
weekend as the Caboolture Show this year, from 9 to 11 June. The cost of cancelling the closure of the
Caboolture line at this late stage would be in excess of $3 million. When you are heading towards
$85 billion in debt and having to pay $100 million a week in interest, that is a cost we cannot afford. But
I have been assured that Queensland Rail has met with the Caboolture Show Society chairman, Max
Herschell, and is working with the society and TransLink to ensure that there are adequate bus services
to the showground.
Looking further ahead, the Ipswich line between Corinda and Rosewood was to be closed from 4
to 5 August. V8 Supercars fans in the chamber might think that these dates sound familiar. That is
because there is a race on at Willowbank that weekend. With the public outrage that we saw two years
when the Labor government did the exact same thing, you would think—
Mr Newman: Who was the goose who did that?
Mr EMERSON: Well you would think, Premier, that they would have learned their lesson. Once
again, this closure was scheduled while the Leader of the Opposition was the minister for transport. I
have asked Queensland Rail for the closure on the Ipswich line to be rescheduled to a more appropriate
time. Contrast this with the Leader of the Opposition, who is happy to leave race fans stuck in pit lane. I
have made it very clear to Queensland Rail that the LNP government will be a passenger focused
government, and that means better coordination of track closures with weekend social events. "

Hansard: p.348

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

🡱 🡳