Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Gold Coast Line  (Read 6624 times)

Offline colinp

• Colin's Queensland Rail Internet Photo Album
Gold Coast Line
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:52:45 AM »
It seems more than a little unfair  to me that billions of dollars can be spent on the 8 lane M1 motorway from Brisbane to the Gold Coast and now the Tugun Bypass but work on duplicating and extending the Gold Coast Line is met with such little enthusiasm. It is particularly disheartning to see how the line has been duplicated to Coomera but not to Helensvale simply because of the relatively small cost of building a bridge over the Coomera River! (Compare what the cost must be of all the bridges and overpasses on the M1!)   :?:

Anyway, my two cents worth.
Cheers! :)

Colin Power

Offline richard

Gold Coast Line
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:22:39 PM »
Why is the river the barrier for duplication?  Even if they wanted to avoid a bridge, they could start the double track again at Helensvale, but that may not be a good marketing strategy.

richard

Offline colinp

• Colin's Queensland Rail Internet Photo Album
Gold Coast Line
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:39:13 AM »
Thanks for your comments Richard. I guess your comment is exactly my gripe and as far as I am aware exactly what they are doing. NOT duplicating between Coomera and Helensvale to penny pinch, saving money on a bridge, then south of Helensvale to Robina the duplication continues. As you say, NOT good marketing strategy!

Meanwhile the goings on continue about extending the line to Coolangatta!
Cheers! :)

Colin Power

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Gold Coast Line
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
Hi Colin,

Welcome.  Thanks for your comments.  The new Gold Coast line ranks as one of the greatest planning failures of the recent regimes.  They got it horribly wrong in terms of passenger projections and accordingly the infrastructure was inadequate.  Attempts to redress the situation now are very expensive and overdue.  Lets hope that future endeavours are more sound in their scope and planning.

Hopefully recent events in Brisbane will highlight the necessity to no longer under-engineer and under resource these essentail rail infrastructure projects.

Best wishes
Ozbob
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

Offline O_128

Re: Gold Coast Line
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »
Though not gold coast line. Iw as interested to read today that a new station will be built on the airport line near DFO if this goes ahead it must be government subsidized.
"Where else but Queensland?"

Offline stephenk

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »
Hi Colin,

Welcome.  Thanks for your comments.  The new Gold Coast line ranks as one of the greatest planning failures of the recent regimes.  They got it horribly wrong in terms of passenger projections and accordingly the infrastructure was inadequate.  Attempts to redress the situation now are very expensive and overdue.  Lets hope that future endeavours are more sound in their scope and planning.

Hopefully recent events in Brisbane will highlight the necessity to no longer under-engineer and under resource these essentail rail infrastructure projects.

Best wishes
Ozbob

Sadly many recent and current projects have been half-baked.

Beenleigh Line triplication should have been quad.
Ferny Grove Line should have been duplicated between Keperra and Ferny Grove.
Corinda to Darra should have quad electrified tracks.
Springfield Line is planned to be single track and rather lacking in stations, when it should be double track with stations.
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

Offline Markus

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »
Good point ColinP.

Re Helensvale Br.
Bridges are frightfully expensive. Goodness knows why. Bar the cement costs. As far as design goes:
Im sure such an expanse could be covered in a scenario of 5 or 6 possibilities.
Anyway, I can see it being built 1 day, but only when absolutely essential.

Offline ButFli

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »
If the whole line was duplicated except for the bridge, what would the frequencies be like? Every 15 minutes should be possible. There would only be a 1km section of single track.

Offline stephenk

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:45:03 PM »
If the whole line was duplicated except for the bridge, what would the frequencies be like? Every 15 minutes should be possible. There would only be a 1km section of single track.

15 minute services are already operated in the am peak, but only in one direction.

As there are only three tracks between Park Rd and Kuraby, then it makes it rather difficult for Gold Coast services to overtake Beenleigh services in the reverse peak direction or off-peak. Gold Coast services are approx 16mins faster than Beenleigh services. Adding 3 minutes signalling headway between services, makes 22 mins. Thus without four tracks, the Gold Coast service will be limited to 22 min frequency in the reverse peak direction or off-peak. This is why the recent triplication between Salisbury and Kuraby should have been a quadruplication.

Offline ButFli

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
That has nothing to do with the single track bridge at Coomera.

Offline stephenk

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:16:26 PM »
That has nothing to do with the single track bridge at Coomera.

Yes it does. Why spend money on duplicating the bridge, when there is another bottleneck located elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:18:44 PM by stephenk »

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
A new airline Scoot announced to be flying to the Gold Coast Airport by June with a Boeing 777 (capacity 300 pax). Ground Public transport capacity from the Gold Coast Airport? LRT or HRT construction to and from the airport timeline should be brought forward!

Offline #Metro

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Heavy rail extension costs $200 million / kilometre.

Why can't these people catch the existing bus?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Online SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
Heavy rail extension costs $200 million / kilometre.

Why can't these people catch the existing bus?

The existing services are quite well patronised, I agree.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't push for logical extensions, once the bigger problems are sorted out (in order - Coomera River, CRR, additional trackage from Salisbury to Kuraby/Loganlea).

I'm also not confident on those costings.  If done in one hit from VL, it would be much cheaper than that.  (In any case, VL to Robina was 4km and certainly didn't cost that much...)
Ride the G:

Offline Cam

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
A new airline Scoot announced to be flying to the Gold Coast Airport by June with a Boeing 777 (capacity 300 pax). Ground Public transport capacity from the Gold Coast Airport? LRT or HRT construction to and from the airport timeline should be brought forward!

Will there be a $12 fee in addition to the TransLink fare to travel to the Gold Coast Airport by rail when the line opens?

Offline #Metro

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
Will there be a $12 fee in addition to the TransLink fare to travel to the Gold Coast Airport by rail when the line opens?

I know that people don't like to pay, but if you want PPP

People going to the Airport obviously have $$$ to do so, so I think they should pay!  :hg :)
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

somebody

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
777's to the Gold Coast?  That's going to strain the airport infrastructure, even with only -200s.

I'm more worried about getting better bus services first, and particularly operating hours on the 761.  702 could go later also.

I know that people don't like to pay, but if you want PPP

People going to the Airport obviously have $$$ to do so, so I think they should pay!  :hg :)
Ask people what they want: bus with current fares or train with much higher fares, and I think we know what their answer would be.

Online SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

I doubt any further extension would be done as a PPP - more likely just an alliance delivery structure same as the other recent projects.

I think the biggest costs will be the excavation/blasting out of hillsides that will be needed along the whole length, like what was carried out along the existing line between Helensvale and Merrimac.  There would need to be cuttings between Varsity Lakes and Tallebudgera, Elanora and Tugun and under the airport runway.  I expect Tallebudgera station might be a bit expensive too as it is currently a concrete plant and probably needs remediation, although likely not to the extent Varsity Lakes did (it used to be a tip).
Ride the G:

Offline ButFli

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »
A new airline Scoot announced to be flying to the Gold Coast Airport by June with a Boeing 777 (capacity 300 pax).

The two-class configuration that Scoot will be using is 400+ capacity.

777's to the Gold Coast?  That's going to strain the airport infrastructure, even with only -200s.
IKR? They only have one 777-capable gate!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:03:16 PM by ButFli »

Offline O_128

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Saw a "bombay express" this morning. few standees and no one sitting in the reverse bits of the 4 seaters.
"Where else but Queensland?"

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
Can a new siding at Beenleigh be a cheap option to ensure smooth running of trains at Beenleigh? Instead of Beenleigh and Ferny Grove Trains waiting at the platform it would be good if they waited on a Rail siding then quickly stop at Beenleigh to allow GC trains to pass through on time and smoothly.

Offline aldonius

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 03:46:16 AM »
Beenleigh could arguably do with a rebuild anyway, to get the platforms straight. At that point, an additional platform (or even two!) could be added. Two would be the most future-proof, in a double-island configuration -- eastern side for southbound services, western side for northbound.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »
^^I hope some improvements are made in this area

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
Yes, Beenleigh is a choke point and it will continue to constrain gains made with the duplication Coomera - Helensvale. 

Needs sorting asap.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:22:40 AM by ozbob »

Offline tazzer9

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »
A second centre turnback road at beenleigh would help some of the issues in the short term.

Offline aldonius

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
A single centre turnback ought to mean 'add a side platform on the east for the Varsity Lakes services'. That way, the northbound services will be able to share the island platform.

The trouble is that there isn't quite the space to put the island platform on the east side (it's a little better on the west, at least the land there is already QR owned, though the interchange facility would need to be rebuilt). I suppose there might be enough space for an east-side platform if it were offset south a bit, but that will in turn clobber the stabling...

Online SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
Send somebody to look at Cockburn Central, copy that and implement here.  That would fix most of the problems.
Ride the G:

Offline petey3801

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »
To be honest, most of the problems would be fixed by simply foxing up the timetable. Taking a few mins of the fat out of the BNH/FYG timetable would do wonders and would allow the one train to arrive at BNH, unload, go straight down the middle road,crew changes ends and comes out 8-10mins later to head back to the City.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

Offline SteelPan

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 12:18:51 AM »
IF this has some substance to it.......I think B-I-G things must come for Brisbane/Gold Coast rail....fingers crossed, let's hope the developers are "encouraged" to get rail right and some $$$$ built in to pricing for the cost.

http://www.domain.com.au/news/new-city-proposed-between-gold-coast-and-brisbane-20160901-gr6hrv/
If urban rail was a sports stadium - there'd be a station on every corner!  Keep it LOUD for Pro-Rail!  :pr

Offline Marshal

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 11:00:13 PM »
The area is outside the urban footprint laid out in the seq regional plan 2009 -2031. That plan is currently under review, so I mean, it could change.....but it does go firmly against the intention to infill rather then allow continuous urban sprawl. I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad idea, but it really doesn't align with the current regional planning scheme.

Either way, a proper rail link would be a necessity. I think a key point of the Springfield lakes comparison is that Springfield lakes had that lovely big transport corridor from the get go. I don't recall off the top of my head if the rail link was planned out from day one, but even the future developments through Ripley Valley have an (albeit) long term plan for rail connections with Ipswich and Brisbane.

I'm inclined to think that any new development of any meaningful size would overwhelm both the motorway and the rail service running along the current route as all.

Offline tazzer9

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
A new turnout has been installed at varsity lakes to allow services from platform 1 to immediatly switch tracks.    Its not yet in operation but when it is it should greatly improve reliability

Offline BrizCommuter

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »
A new turnout has been installed at varsity lakes to allow services from platform 1 to immediatly switch tracks.    Its not yet in operation but when it is it should greatly improve reliability
Common sense finally prevails!

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 11:34:58 PM »
Couriermail----> Record $1.6 billion in road and rail budget bonanza

Preliminary works for capacity upgrades on the Gold Coast line

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 12:15:46 AM »
^

IA still has this as a priority initiative. Shows how shambolic the IA process really is.  Projects are funded on politics and not much else.  This particularly true for NSW and Victoria where massive amounts for projects not even tested.

IA Priority Initiative: Gold Coast rail line and station improvements: Kuraby to Beenleigh
https://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/map/gold-coast-rail-line-and-station-improvements-kuraby-beenleigh
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:31:18 AM by ozbob »

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 12:23:48 AM »
Common sense finally prevails!

Why is it they build these sub-optimal track layouts against advice, then have to go back and spend even more moolah to sort what was painfully obvious before day one.  Time we got rail out of DTMR.

IDIOTS!! 

Online timh

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 07:15:13 AM »
^

IA still has this as a priority initiative. Shows how shambolic the IA process really is.  Projects are funded on politics and not much else.  This particularly true for NSW and Victoria where massive amounts for projects not even tested.

IA Priority Initiative: Gold Coast rail line and station improvements: Kuraby to Beenleigh
https://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/map/gold-coast-rail-line-and-station-improvements-kuraby-beenleigh
Considering there barely a business case or detailed plan for any sort of capacity upgrades between Kuraby and Beenleigh it's interesting it's called "preconstruction works". That wording usually involves some kind of actual physical work rather than just planning. Could it mean money for property resumptions? Station turnbacks? It would be interesting to see details of this but I don't know if that would be included in the budget document itself

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 07:25:04 AM »
DTMR: Gold Coast Rail Line Capacity Improvement Project (Kuraby to Beenleigh)

> https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/projects/gold-coast-rail-line-capacity-improvement-project-kuraby-to-beenleigh

Vague ...

Offline kram0

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 09:33:56 AM »
Would $350+m be enough to build an additional track from Kuraby to Beenleigh? I would assume projects like a new Loganlea station would not be included in this scope of work.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:59:30 AM by kram0 »

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »
I think one of the smartest things they could do is extend the ETCS L2 rollout from Salisbury through to Varsity Lakes ...

Offline achiruel

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »
Would $350+m be enough to build an additional track from Kuraby to Beenleigh? I would assume projects like a new Loganlea station would not be included in this scope of work.

I very much doubt it. Consider the number of bridges involved, just to get to (new) Loganlea, for a start:
Compton Rd
Wembley Rd
Scrubby Creek
Logan Mwy (road-over-rail, but I expect it'll need modifications
Loganlea Rd (likewise)

Then if you want to keep going to Beenleigh, you've got
Logan River (this is a big one)
Logan River Rd
Boundary St
Zander St
Tunnel from James St to Main St
Alamein St

I would be very surprised if, at this time, amplification extends beyond Loganlea, simply due to cost.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan