• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Triplication NOW QUADRUPLICATION Corinda to Darra - Oxley precinct

Started by ozbob, May 03, 2008, 04:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

The Woolworths development will further worsen the traffic and bus flow situation at Oxley rail station

Some ideas:

Three images:

Now, with the present flow, and the alternative. 

Present flow

Alternative - roundabout replaced with traffic light intersection.  Pedestrian crossing placed there.  Will allow the buses to come out against the traffic.  Delays due to the haphazard nature of the pedestrians crossing reduced.  Much improved for all.  Remember Oxley is also to get a fourth platform as well.  Now is the time to sort it.  Local residents believe it should be.

Images nearmap.com

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

skippy

Roundabouts are good for cars, however they are terrible for pedestrians, cyclists and buses.  The use of roundabouts near railway stations, shops and schools can be quite dangerous and for this reason are being replaced with traffic lights or old fashioned t-intersections in progressive cities.

I like the proposal to remove the roundabout, while we are at it replace the one at Darra station too - both inhibit pedestrian access to the station. I suggested these ideas to BCC's Darra and Oxley Neighbourhood planning forum.

ozbob

The white crosses have been removed from the signals from Corinda through to Darra on the UP and DOWN subs.

Oxley

Signal gantry at Pannard St (mid way between Oxley and Darra)

Photographs R Dow 23rd October 2010

ozbob

SMU247 does the honours at Oxley platform 1 - down sub

Photographs mufreight 25th October 2010

ozbob

Plenty of coal traffic around on a Saturday afternoon through Oxley, up sub in use.

Photographs R Dow 30th October 2010

ozbob

Around Oxley today Sunday.

Managed to score a parallel run Corinda to Oxley onboard an up main SMU  with a coalie on the up sub

Photographs R Dow 31st October 2010

johnnigh

That is not to say that traffic controllers are not still using the up and down mains for coal, pipes and cattle! From my eyrie I have seen maybe a third of freights still on the mains between Corinda and Oxley. Not only that but the passing loop is also being used at least as much as the main freight line.

They are also practicing stopping and starting on the loop, very noisy, and because it's just that bit further from the noise barrier these manoevres, some quite ham-fisted, others rather smooth, are more disturbing to us good burghers of Corinda west as the higher pitched squeals (that travel in straighter lines than lower pitches) come over the top of the barriers!

ozbob

Quote from: johnnigh on October 31, 2010, 14:14:54 PM

They are also practicing stopping and starting on the loop, very noisy, and because it's just that bit further from the noise barrier these manoevres, some quite ham-fisted, others rather smooth, are more disturbing to us good burghers of Corinda west as the higher pitched squeals (that travel in straighter lines than lower pitches) come over the top of the barriers!

John,

The stopping and starting is to allow a pilot to get off/on board as needed.  If you look at the locos leaving or coming into Corinda on the new line you will see three in the cab (sometimes 4).  The pilot is certified for the new lines (signals etc.) and is instructing the normal crew and guiding them through the new sections.  Once crew are trained up that will generally cease. The odd train may need to remain in Corinda yard from time to time depending on rail traffic, but once bedded down it will be lot more efficient.

At least there are paths now for a 15 minute frequency in from Darra.

:)

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on October 31, 2010, 13:23:12 PM
Managed to score a parallel run Corinda to Oxley onboard an up main SMU  with a coalie on the up sub
Which was faster?  The SMU or the coalie?

ozbob

The coalie passed through Corinda as the SMU took off at Corinda.  Overhauled the coalie along the way and the SMU arrived very shortly before the coalie at Oxley.  I had about five seconds to get out and take a happy snap.

johnnigh

QuoteThe pilot is certified for the new lines (signals etc.) and is instructing the normal crew and guiding them through the new sections. 
Bob,
Are you telling me that a train driver has to be instructed by a specially licensed nanny, or even two nannies to obey standard signals, observe standard signage and follow the instructions of those signs and signals? A world in which master mariners and even lesser marine ticket holders are expected to follow signs and signals in waters they have never seen before, except in the most highly dangerous or congested channels where a pilot takes full charge of the vessel, would seem to be a world away from railways, where the driver has no choice about where the train goes, but only has to obey stop, go & speed restriction signs (hmm, they don't always get that right, with fatal results on a tilt train not so long ago).
Or might we call it a throwback to the featherbedding from days or yore? In which case it's no wonder rail can't compete with the other extreme and totally unsafe regulations ruling road freight.  :-w

ozbob

As it is often said, if road transport had to meet the safeworking requirements of rail even halfway nothing would move on roads.

There is a requirement for train crew to be familiar with each section of a line they drive trains. They are shown  the road (rail line) and then examined on the signals etc.  I don't have a problem with that nor would most I expect.  

colinw

I have no issue with the requirement for drivers to be tutored for familiarity with a section of line before driving it. Not knowing the road can be a recipe for disaster, given the sheer inertia and amount of energy of a moving train.

Historical note: one of the factors contributing causes of the 1947 Camp Mountain disaster was a driver who didn't know the road beyond Ferny Grove.  The train derailed at an estimated 40 mph on a 20 mph curve.

QuoteA Court Inquiry was held into the crash, headed by Supreme Court of Queensland Judge, Sir Alan Mansfield, and attended by railway experts, several passengers and local witnesses. The inquiry found that the Driver had been rostered to drive a train on a line he had little knowledge of, and was driving the train with excessive speed.

In his findings, Judge Mansfield said:
"    The only reason which could be discovered for excess speed was that the train was late and the driver was endeavouring to make up time. He must have known that the permissible maximum speed was being exceeded, but he could not have realised that the excessive speed was in any way likely to endanger the train.    "

—Judge Sir Alan Mansfield

ozbob

UP Darra service, platform one Oxley (this is the down sub line)

This is the first normal passenger revenue service I have seen use platform one since the track amplification

Photographs R Dow 18th November 2010

ozbob

An up coalie charges through Oxley on the up sub line (the 'freight' line) early Sunday morning

Photograph R Dow 21st November 2010

johnnigh

From my eyrie above the Corinda freight passing loop I have observed coalies on each and every one of the 5 lines but never passing. Not once has a coalie or anything else had to use the loop as intended. That may come sometime I guess. The freights to and from the north cannot use the freight line at all, of course, so the cattle and container trains still get in the way of pax.

Am I correct that the new works have not been formally handed over to QR by Trackstar?

ozbob

They are running trains so the tracks might be in QR control now, although construction tasks still happening.

==============

http://www.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1289876140

Rosewood to Sherwood track closure

From the first train on Saturday 4 December until the last train on Sunday 5 December, all trains between Rosewood and Sherwood stations will be replaced by buses.

Buses will stop all stations between Rosewood and Sherwood, with connecting train services to the city departing from Sherwood.

Works include:

* track works between Dinmore to Goodna, and Walloon to Karrabin
   * overhead line modifications between Oxley and Corinda
   * the Oxley station refurbishment.

================

Oxley is to put up with more disruption, had two years now already.  It does beg the question why it wasn't done with the rest of it ...

Golliwog

I expect funding to be the issue. Same as with the Richlands line.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Yes that is the excuse rolled out Golliwog.  The reality is it is costing a lot lot more for this flawed approach to major projects.  There has to be a more cost effective manner.  They really do need to get projects right and and complete.  This message has been heard in part with the decision to keep moving forward with the line to Springfield whilst everything (construction teams, equipment, knowledge, training etc.) is there on the ground.  Stopping and starting is another considerable expenditure.

ozbob

ozbob

Oxley, a changed rail scape .. and a rare event, twin 1720s ..

Photographs R Dow 14th December 2010

ozbob

SMU expressing down through platform one Oxley

Photographs R Dow 15th December 2010

ozbob

🡱 🡳