• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Ministerial Statement: Public transport alternative to city parking

Started by ozbob, May 02, 2012, 06:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://www.media.tas.gov.au/release.php?id=34729

Nick McKim, MP

Minister for Sustainable Transport

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Public transport alternative to city parking

The Minister for Sustainable Transport, Nick McKim, today urged commuters to consider using public transport in the light of the Hobart City Council's decision to close a section of free parking at the Hobart Regatta Ground.

"I appreciate that many commuters consider the availability of free parking on the city fringe to be essential to their transport arrangements.

"However, this decision may prompt more people to consider using public transport as an alternative to the private car.

"Most of Hobart enjoys a comprehensive system of Metro bus services with good frequency."

When comparing the time taken to travel from home to the city by car and public transport, he said many commuters did not account for the time door-to-door.

"For example, most car commuters consider the time they actually spend behind the wheel and compare that to the time it takes to get to a bus stop, travel by bus and then connect to their place of work.

"But if you also include the 10 or more minutes that many car users spend walking from their car at a city fringe free parking area to their workplace, public transport often compares favourably."

Mr McKim also pointed to Metro's efforts in recent years to improve the comfort and convenience of bus travel.

"Metro has made a significant investment in new, accessible, air conditioned buses.

"Metro has also introduced the Greencard ticketing system providing passengers with a 20 per cent discount on fares. With about half of all passengers already choosing to use Greencard, this makes boarding faster, requiring only a quick 'tap on', speeding up the journey for all patrons."

"I acknowledge that some commuters will have travel needs that still require the use of a car.  However, I would urge motorists to question whether it is really necessary and to take the time to reconsider making public transport part of their day, even for a couple of days each week.

"I'd also encourage those who currently use free parking around the city fringes to grab a timetable from the Metro shop in Elizabeth Street or go online to www.metrotas.com.au and look at the potential alternatives."
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

#Metro

"Most of Hobart enjoys a comprehensive system of Metro bus services with good frequency."

:o  :-r HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA x 1000

Hobart buses are the worst system I have ever had the displeasure of using. Adelaide is not far behind!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

When comparing the time taken to travel from home to the city by car and public transport, he said many commuters did not account for the time door-to-door.

And many politicians don't account for inconvenience in service span or low frequency and transfer penalties.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jonno

But at least a politician said use public transport instead of driving.  That's a big shift

#Metro

I actually think that this kind of approach only does disfavours for PT and may actually build pressure for more roads. Not only does it sound like Government Nannying, but if you force people to use public transport, and the system you're forcing them into is rotten apple (like Hobart, hur hur) and horrible, that's not going to bode well.

When you have a decent system, things like car park removal and whatnot become much easier.

Jonno

Quote from: tramtrain on May 02, 2012, 08:53:38 AM
I actually think that this kind of approach only does disfavours for PT and may actually build pressure for more roads. Not only does it sound like Government Nannying, but if you force people to use public transport, and the system you're forcing them into is rotten apple (like Hobart, hur hur) and horrible, that's not going to bode well.

When you have a decent system, things like car park removal and whatnot become much easier.

Chicken and egg really.  Pressure will mount for better services and frequency.  Much better than all sides of politics trying to out do each other with promisise of more parking, more roads and REDUCED CONGESTION. 

I know which one I would rather. 

#Metro

People don't like it when you push them off one mode, but don't have the replacement mode sorted out or organised.
What's missing in Hobart is a really effective,  organised passengers to lobby for better services. http://www.futuretransporttas.org/

Unfortunately, it's all rail, buses completely missing in action...

🡱 🡳