• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Bus routes you use which completely fill up to the front of Bus during peak

Started by techblitz, April 19, 2012, 22:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techblitz

Thought this might be an interesting thread to start. Sort of an updated status on current bus routes. Please only post bus trips/routes which fill right to the front of the bus near the drivers seat/gocard scanner. During peak hour only. And must be a regular route  :co3

WTN

Does the bus have to regularly fill up to the point where no more people can get on?
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

techblitz

Especially those ones :-t But also other routes where there is no where to move in the bus.
heres my list of routes used with max load.

333 chermside to city
66 rbh to gabba has its moments
385 <<< one of the worst needing a quick fix
142 bullet to browns plains
546 to browns plains
227 over story bridge
680 from petrie outbound

i have to admit things have definitely improved with the buzing of a few routes eg:100. Its now faily rare to see`Sorry Bus Full`

Golliwog

I know a few years ago I used to catch the 362 to The Gap when I a late start at uni. I ended up on the school run which was always unreliable, but also would usually end up pretty full. Pretty sure standing room only heading over Settlement Rd to The Gap.

Otherwise, I'd state the obvious and go with all the UQ Lakes routes from Boggo Rd to UQ, though not really an issue, nor a bad thing given the frequency. I don't use buses much.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

kazzac

o/b 230 and 235 services between 4pm and 5pm in afternoons,when  I used to catch one from Mater Hill  or 'Gabba Station at this time pax standing near front of bus.By 'Gabba driver often has to ask pax to keep moving back!
only an occasional PT user now!

SurfRail

Gold Coast routes - can happen to any highway service (especially during busy periods like Schoolies week or over the end of year holidays) and the 745, and regularly happens any given day on TX2 services.  Less frequently on other routes.
Ride the G:

ButFli

Any 19x route especially in morning peak. 199 is the worst offender with virtually every bus refusing passengers at some point along the route.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jonas Jade

How about a double decker articulated bus? (not a trolleybus for Brisbane of course).

or a bi articulated bus?

:hg

HappyTrainGuy

What about these things? They could also use the busway with ease. Not to mention beating that bus jam around the Cultural Centre.

ButFli

Quote from: tramtrain on April 21, 2012, 13:06:10 PM
Would double deckers work well on the 19x routes?

Definitely not. Loading and unloading already takes too long.

techblitz

Quote from: ButFli on April 22, 2012, 10:34:38 AM

Yep good point. This can be countered with less stops on route. How fast these buses unload depends on how fast the top passengers get down to the bottom & out the door.

ButFli

Quote from: techblitz on April 22, 2012, 11:26:14 AM
Quote from: ButFli on April 22, 2012, 10:34:38 AM

Yep good point. This can be countered with less stops on route. How fast these buses unload depends on how fast the top passengers get down to the bottom & out the door.

If you reduce the number of stops then passengers will just walk to the next stop if theirs is closed. The total number of passengers will not be reduced so the total load/unload time will not change. Reducing the number of stops reduces the delay caused by stopping and starting - significant for a train but inconsequential on a short bus route like the 19x.

Double deck buses are not the answer for Brisbane.

somebody

I'm surprised they are to be deployed to the Gold Coast.  Very odd!

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on April 22, 2012, 19:48:34 PM
I'm surprised they are to be deployed to the Gold Coast.  Very odd!

It helps that we don't have bus stops every 200m down here.  :)

There will be a logical home for these vehicles on the key RTS feeders and on longer distance runs such as the theme park expresses.

(I have not given much thought to how the TX runs will work with the RTS - I would hope that the only direct to theme parks buses are for the stretch south of Broadbeach and that everybody else would just board a tram and change at Griffith Uni, then straight up Smith St and the M1.)
Ride the G:

ButFli

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on April 21, 2012, 15:30:59 PM
What about these things? They could also use the busway with ease. Not to mention beating that bus jam around the Cultural Centre.

Already got one on Denison St in Rockhampton. :p

longboi

66/330/333/340: QUT Busway to Roma St from around 14:50 - 15:30. Oh God how I hate being anywhere near that place during afternoon peak.

achiruel

230/235 O/B in the AM peak.  Yeah, mostly school kids going to Churchie.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: nikko on April 25, 2012, 07:36:34 AM
66/330/333/340: QUT Busway to Roma St from around 14:50 - 15:30. Oh God how I hate being anywhere near that place during afternoon peak.

These buses can also be full in the am peak (circa 7:30am from Roma Street), around midday, and to around 5:30pm. No solution in sight that to TransLink's ineptness.

The 345 can also often been observed to be full in the pm peak, and there are one or two 390s that regularly reach full capacity in the am peak inbound.

kazzac

Quote from: achiruel on June 02, 2012, 07:43:21 AM
230/235 O/B in the AM peak.  Yeah, mostly school kids going to Churchie.
O/B 235 service that  I caught home from 'Gabba yesterday arvo was a 4- 5 on the standard congestion scale!
only an occasional PT user now!

WTN

Recently, the 222 inbound around 9am fills up to standing room only around Stones Corner or Buranda. It might be because it's uni holidays and there are fewer 209s to take up the load. But for some reason, I caught the next service once and it is nearly empty.

A colleague who used the 120 this morning was standing room too before it got to Buranda. I've seen it happen a number of times myself as well. If it doesn't have standees, it would have most seats taken.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

techblitz

last thursday a 180 was completely full by mater hill to the point where the bus driver didnt stop and just kept going so im going to assume bus full.

colinw

7:50AM route 554 to Garden City ex Kuraby is often a sardine can by the end of Stiller Dr. I have seen people struggle to board at the new Settler St stop in Levington Rd.  The 8:20AM can get that way as well, but usually isn't.

In the afternoon any of the 554s out of Garden City at 4:17PM, 4:47, 5:17 can get very crowded. The 4:17 is the worst, and occasionally cannot be boarded at Eight Mile Plains. The hour gap from the previous service at 3:17 concentrates all the Macgregor high kids from Kuraby onto one bus. A 3:47 route 554 from Garden City to Kuraby, or a Kuraby school run from Macgregor higy, would help matters considerably and make the 4:17 bus a little more tolerable.

somebody

Quote from: colinw on July 24, 2012, 10:48:32 AM
7:50AM route 554 to Garden City ex Kuraby is often a sardine can by the end of Stiller Dr. I have seen people struggle to board at the new Settler St stop in Levington Rd.  The 8:20AM can get that way as well, but usually isn't.

In the afternoon any of the 554s out of Garden City at 4:17PM, 4:47, 5:17 can get very crowded. The 4:17 is the worst, and occasionally cannot be boarded at Eight Mile Plains. The hour gap from the previous service at 3:17 concentrates all the Macgregor high kids from Kuraby onto one bus. A 3:47 route 554 from Garden City to Kuraby, or a Kuraby school run from Macgregor higy, would help matters considerably and make the 4:17 bus a little more tolerable.
Sounds like it could become 15 minute frequency in peak quite easily.

nathandavid88

I used to catch the earliest 545 Outbound service to Browns Plains from Marsden, and by the time it arrived it was usually a sardine can (and anywhere from 10-25 minutes late as a result) packed with school kids to Marsden State High.

Also, the peak services that go via the Hyperdome (566, 569 & 571 in particular) are often pretty well packed of a morning. The fact that they bypass Springwood and go via the Capt Cook Bridge means that people will always opt for it over the 555 (which often have a few seats to spare as a result). The afternoon services are a mixed bag though because congestion and limited stop space (Logan Buses really needs to be given that second stop on Elizabeth Street where the 470 stops!) means that people will often get on the first service they can, regardless of whether it's a 555 or not.

🡱 🡳