Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Article: Return trams to The Parade  (Read 2801 times)

colinw

Article: Return trams to The Parade
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
Eastern Courier -> click here

TRAMS should return to The Parade to improve Norwood’s public transport, residents and local traders say.

The idea has been spruiked during community consultation on Norwood, Payneham & St Peters’ long-term strategic plan.

Mayor Robert Bria said a tramline along the shopping strip was a common suggestion at a workshop, attended by about 70 people, late last month.

“It’s heartening to see so many people interested in the tram and I think a lot of people, including myself, would like to see it return,” Mr Bria said.

“The 30-Year Plan does identify The Parade as a transit route but doesn’t give an indication of the time frame.”

Mr Bria said other suggestions included more pedestrian and cyclist-friendly streets, and sustainable infrastructure and practices.

The Eastern Courier Messenger spoke with Parade shoppers and traders last week about the tram proposal. Most supported it.

Matt Burton, of Teringie, said trams would enhance The Parade, which was already a great shopping precinct.

“Anything that will help the shops and improve the retail sector, is a good idea,” Mr Burton said.

Argo on The Parade manager Melinda Milky supported the idea because it would bring more people to the area.

“It would be a nice touch,” Ms Milky said.

“It would bring back an old-fashioned feel to The Parade.”

Dignity & Impudence owner Julie Wardle said trams would make her shop more accessible.

“It would be handy because we are up the other end of The Parade,” Ms Wardle said.

“(With) anything new, people are sometimes reluctant but I think progress is good.”

The first horse-drawn tram service in Australia started in 1878 and ran from Kensington to Adelaide via The Parade.

The first electric tram service in Australia began on the same line in 1909 and ran along The Parade until 1957 when it was replaced by buses.

A Transport Department spokeswoman said The Parade had been identified as a possible future tram route but no funding had been allocated to its development.

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
Re: Article: Return trams to The Parade
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
First electric tram service in South Australia surely?  I thought there were electric trams running in Brisbane well before 1909.

The idea of running a tram line from The Parade through the city and out to the Airport/Harbour Town pops up every now and again.  The other ones that get air time are reviving trams to North Adelaide/Main North Rd, Henley Beach Rd, a loop in the north west part of the CBD (something like North Terrace to West Terrace to one of Currie, Grote or Gouger Sts and back to Glenelg) and a line to Colonel Light Gardens. 

There are others from time to time.  Due to its size and layout, and the continued/expanding presence of trams, its to be expected that you will get proposals like these in various parts of Adelaide, and some of them probably have merit.
Ride the G:

colinw

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
First electric tram service in South Australia surely?  I thought there were electric trams running in Brisbane well before 1909.

Electric Tram Systems in Australia:

Box Hill & Doncaster: 1889
Hobart: 1893
Brisbane: 1897
Sydney: 1898
Perth: 1899
Leonora: 1901
Kalgoorlie: 1902
Bendigo: 1903
Ballarat: 1905
Fremantle: 1905
Melbourne: 1906
Adelaide: 1909
Launceston: 1911
Geelong: 1912
Newcastle: 1923
Sydney Light Rail: 1997
Gold Coast: 2014
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:30:08 PM by colinw »

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »
I suppose you need to add "Sydney Mk II" in 1997.  :-t
Ride the G:

colinw

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
Done.

There was also a failed proposal for a Toowoomba system some time around 1912, but it did not proceed.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan