• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Adelaide St

Started by SurfRail, March 14, 2012, 21:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

It really was quite markedly bad on Adelaide St today - I happened to be catching a 196 over to South Brisbane, and the run from George Street onwards was crystal clear. 

Adelaide Street is a mess and urgently needs fixing.  Basic measures, like:

- Get rid of all the separate stands and just have platform stops that every service stops at
- Get rid of rockets from Adelaide St altogether - send via Parliament or some other way, otherwise just get people to go to KGS/QSBS or the usual surface routes
- More permanent bus lanes
- Seriously look at resuming the 2 underground car parks and either reconfiguring them or just closing them and building a replacement in a more convenient spot
Ride the G:

somebody

I don't find Adelaide St that bad to be honest.  There was the proposal from Campbell Newman when he was mayor to make the local access one way.  Make it eastbound and you remove nearly all incentive to cheat.

One thing is Taxis.  Given that the entire length of road between George & Edward is continuous bus stops, why are these permitted here?  Where are they supposed to drop off/pick up, except for the little bit of Albert St.

Quote from: SurfRail on March 14, 2012, 21:13:27 PM
It really was quite markedly bad on Adelaide St today - I happened to be catching a 196 over to South Brisbane, and the run from George Street onwards was crystal clear. 

Adelaide Street is a mess and urgently needs fixing.  Basic measures, like:

- Get rid of all the separate stands and just have platform stops that every service stops at
- Get rid of rockets from Adelaide St altogether - send via Parliament or some other way, otherwise just get people to go to KGS/QSBS or the usual surface routes
- More permanent bus lanes
- Seriously look at resuming the 2 underground car parks and either reconfiguring them or just closing them and building a replacement in a more convenient spot
I hope you don't mean a 300m long Cultural Centre platform!  I'd imagine you just mean consolidating stops together to be 3 buses long or so.

Rockets generally only stop at stop 48 (201 and a few others serve a different stop).  Although I agree with what you are saying, just for different reasons.

One thing that does annoy me here is that the CityGlider eastbound serves a different stop to the 300/305.  Similarly it doesn't serve Central eastbound but does westbound.  What's that?

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on March 15, 2012, 11:40:52 AM
I hope you don't mean a 300m long Cultural Centre platform!  I'd imagine you just mean consolidating stops together to be 3 buses long or so.

Yes, something like that - so you only need maybe 4 stops on the whole street:
- Wharf St
- Central Station
- City Hall/KGS
- Brisbane Square

For Elizabeth Street:
- Myer Centre 'A' (ie stop 81)
- Myer Centre 'B' (for Clark's services)
- Macarthur Central

For Ann Street
- Cathedral Square
- Central Station
- King George Square

Also consolidate stops as far as the Valley.
Ride the G:

somebody

Hmm.

Sounds like you'd be against the (Sydney) Elizabeth St approaching Martin Place concept of 3 peak hour stands then - one for Alison Rd services, one for Anzac Pde services and one for William St services.

I don't think I like your proposal as it doesn't group the buses and passengers together enough.  Cultural Centre isn't a particularly good passenger experience.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on March 15, 2012, 11:53:06 AM
Hmm.

Sounds like you'd be against the (Sydney) Elizabeth St approaching Martin Place concept of 3 peak hour stands then - one for Alison Rd services, one for Anzac Pde services and one for William St services.

I don't think I like your proposal as it doesn't group the buses and passengers together enough.  Cultural Centre isn't a particularly good passenger experience.

But it makes it dramatically simpler to work out where you go to catch a bus, and simplifies bus operations by getting rid of the jiggery pokery.  Every bus pulls into the same spot - simple.
Ride the G:

somebody

Plenty of jiggery-pokery at the Cultural Centre.

It is reduced by the policy of not getting ahead of a stopped bus to serve the station, but that also reduces the capacity.

somebody

One other point.

Stop 37 (last stop approaching Edward St westbound) has 300-322, all Cultural Centre terminators.  Given that this would be considered a premium stop given proximity to Central it seems like quite a waste.  Perhaps 37 & 39 should swap.  Alternatively the 300-322 could use Ann St I/B like the 334.

SurfRail

Priority one is getting the rockets out of there.  They are not being used effectively - too much air carried in a big logjam all the way down from Wharf Street. 

Priority two is reducing the number of different stops and grouping things a bit better.

I think priority three is then assess what can be sent elsewhere (eg Elizabeth/Ann, Elizabeth/Edward/Alice/William, into the busway).
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on March 15, 2012, 14:30:38 PM
Priority one is getting the rockets out of there.  They are not being used effectively - too much air carried in a big logjam all the way down from Wharf Street. 
That's part of a larger issue, my pet one really, city stop locations.

The Bugblatter beast of Traal works at Translink, and it isn't just the previous CEO who's the problem.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on March 15, 2012, 16:41:06 PM
Quote from: SurfRail on March 15, 2012, 14:30:38 PM
That's part of a larger issue, my pet one really, city stop locations.

The Bugblatter beast of Traal works at Translink, and it isn't just the previous CEO who's the problem.

The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, you mean.

Certainly are some Vogons working there as well.
Ride the G:

somebody

I'd agree with what you are saying regarding the two stops in both directions near Central.  No reason for having two stops there.  It would be much better to have a single really long stop.

45 & 46 could be combined too as these services all serve 39 & go to W'Gabba.  Add in the 184, 185, 210, 212, 214, 215, 220 there.

Not too sure about your other suggestions though.

EDIT: I guess I'd add that 43 & 44 could be combined also.  Probably a couple of others eastbound.

achiruel

IMO there are far too many stops in Adelaide St, and the buses are stopping far too often.

All stops buses can have 3 stops in the CBD:

• One between George & Edward Sts
  • One between Edward & Wharf Sts
  • One between Wharf & Boundary Sts

Also they should be grouped into corridors but I think this already happens now to some extent

e.g. Stanley St buses (184, 185, 210, 212)
Logan Rd buses (174, 175, 204)
Ipswich Rd buses (117, 124, 125)

somebody

Quote from: achiruel on March 19, 2012, 07:25:16 AM
Also they should be grouped into corridors but I think this already happens now to some extent

e.g. Stanley St buses (184, 185, 210, 212)
Sure does, however that isn't true between Adelaide St and QSBS.

These use Ann St now.

Mr X

Personally I'd prefer the 184/185/210/212 to be located somewhere near the 230/235 stop on Adelaide St, so people in the inner east don't have to go searching between two bus stops in different streets with apes**t frequency to find the next bus home  >:D
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

somebody

Quote from: Mr X on March 19, 2012, 07:59:44 AM
Personally I'd prefer the 184/185/210/212 to be located somewhere near the 230/235 stop on Adelaide St, so people in the inner east don't have to go searching between two bus stops in different streets with apes**t frequency to find the next bus home  >:D
I've already suggested this, also adding in the 214, 215, 220.

somebody

Brisbane's PT story is one of a lot of $ spent and mediocre outcomes.  I submit that the way these things are done is a large part of the reason.

🡱 🡳