• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Eastern region bus improvements from 27 Feb 2012

Started by ozbob, January 16, 2012, 07:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323841633

Eastern region bus improvements

Following your feedback a service upgrade will be introduced from Monday 27 February 2012, meaning all Veolia bus services in the Eastern Region will change in some way.

More --> http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1323841633
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

HappyTrainGuy

Thumbs up on the how to capture a screen shot in google search :)

STB

I caught the 5:25pm 257 ex Elizabeth St Stop 85 this evening and it only had 8 passengers on board, one got off at Buranda, one got off and one got on at Capalaba and only two continued on to Ormiston (up Wellington St).  If this is the way it is all the time, then definitely agree with TL about cutting it no matter how much the locals jump up and down. 

Also, only a nice 5min walk to Ormiston station from the nearest stop that I got off the 257 at, until I realised that for my 3 min trip back home I'd have to wait 25mins for the next train!  Ended up going to Cleveland and back to avoid the mozzies.

STB

The new timetables are up and from first glance I can see some connections have been a bit screwed, eg: 254 to 260 (although that was tight already).  The supposed 'clockface' timetable isn't quite 'clockface' on some of the routes either and it appears that they have chopped some connections off the 250 in one direction in lieu of the 270 in the other direction (and vice versa).

I'll go through these timetables in detail in relation to connections and popular destinations at various interchanges and see how they stack up compared to how we have it at the moment, and forward it to TransLink, which by the way they said that if tweaks did need to be done they could do it when the Park and Ride opens or when the railway timetable change happens.  In the meantime, just have to let it be and see how things pan out, I'll give it four weeks after implementation to see how things settle in terms of passenger movements and drivers getting used to the runs, and then make a judgement after that time, and let TL know about it.

STB

The Redlands commuters are still not happy, with commuters complaining about having to change buses (deleted route 257), they want the one bus journey maintained.  Secondly, one person complained about not being consulted about the removal of Ann St Stop 7, the nearest bus stop is only about 70m away on Creek St ::).

QuoteMeetings let commuters air concerns
BY JUDITH KERR
02 Feb, 2012 12:00 AM
REDLAND residents concerned about changes to bus routes, set to take effect this month will have a chance to air their views at eight public meetings over the next two weeks.
The eight sessions will be held at five locations across Redlands with two of the sessions on Saturdays and one on a Sunday.

Sessions will be held at Cleveland Library and at shopping centres at Capalaba, Victoria Point and Gumdale.

The information sessions will be held before Translink re-jigs 35 bus routes servicing Redland City on Monday, February 27, when it introduces its new Eastern Region Network.

One of the major changes will be to route 270, which will no longer go to the Brisbane CBD and will only operate between Carindale and Victoria Point every hour.

The new 250 route will operate express services between Carindale and Stones Corner, removing three stops at Coorparoo, Carina and Camp Hill.

Routes 285, 271, 257 will be axed.

On the 265 Maridale Park to City route, stop 7, in Ann Street, will be removed.

The Translink website, at Translink.com.au, said changes to the network were designed after public consultations in August and October.

However, Peter Bennett, who has been catching buses from Capalaba into Brisbane CBD for 25 years, said he was not consulted about the removal of the 265 bus stop.

"There are about five people who catch my bus from the city every day and not one of them has been consulted and neither have the bus drivers," Mr Bennett said.

"Closing the Ann Street bus stop makes no sense and will only cause congestion further down the line at the busy Adelaide Street stop, where there are lots of banana buses stopping."

Another Capalaba-based commuter, Ted Kos, said he relished the chance to attend the public sessions to speak about the axing of route 257.

"I believe all these changes were pre-meditated without thinking about the needs of the public or the future growth in this area," Mr Kos said.

"Instead of the 257, Translink has put on an earlier 253 bus which will connect with the 251 bus but it means we have to change buses.

"Passengers just want a 'one-seat journey' into the city and want to be consulted before any of these changes take effect.

"I will be attending these sessions to represent other passengers and get our views known so that when Translink reviews the new network in April, our responses are on the record," Mr Kos said.

http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/news/local/news/general/meetings-let-commuters-air-concerns/2442079.aspx

#Metro

I think it is important to remember the views of other commuters on the network too. Usually these views don't show up at specific calls.

Reality is, everyone would like a direct express rocket on demand from their house to their work, school, shop, dining location and so forth. That's why we have cars.
Public transport is not a taxi service. Other people have needs too and there needs to be an economical way to serve everyone (i.e. the General Public).

"I want a rocket direct to MY house."

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

achiruel

How can these people say they were not consulted? Because they didn't attend any of the consultation sessions last year? Now they want to complain, less than a month before the changes. A bit late!

Oh and if you want a direct bus to the CBD, here's a hint: don't live 35km away from it in a low density suburb.

O_128

Quote from: achiruel on February 05, 2012, 04:55:10 AM
How can these people say they were not consulted? Because they didn't attend any of the consultation sessions last year? Now they want to complain, less than a month before the changes. A bit late!

Oh and if you want a direct bus to the CBD, here's a hint: don't live 35km away from it in a low density suburb.

Exactly. Who cares if 5 people use your stop. Im looking forward to the raft of complaints when Translink eventually moves onto BCC.
"Where else but Queensland?"

STB

I think this is a case of them being more upset of being separated from their 'bus buddies' than having the one bus journey, knowing the Redlands.  Same deal kicked up when the old route 8X was removed completely, the old 8X had similar loadings to the 257 with normally only a small handful of people on board - naturally they were all friends with each other catching the same bus to and from work everyday.  When TL said that the 8X was going to be removed in lieu of having the 254 (and other routes), they got all upset and I did notice them talking to each other about not having 'their bus' anymore for 'their chit chats'.

You could really tell the difference in tact (or lack thereof) at the consultations last year.  The youngsters were very approachable and friendly, and got off what they wanted to say with ease without being aggressive.  The 9 to 5 commuters though (the 30, 40, 50 somethings - all looking practically the same, business clothes), seriously, I'm sitting near them on the bus, they are talking among themselves about how they are going to show who's boss of the PT network, plotting about how they are going to teach TL a lesson about messing with 'Their Bus', and then as soon as the bus stops at Capalaba, they get off in a huff walk straight up to the poor TL folk who are only trying to get the info out and wanting to take down notes for the Planners and before the TL guys get a word in, the 9 to 5 commuters are going off their brains at them in an aggressive herd like manner and countering everything that TL is trying to tell them about why they are altering the network and what sort of feedback they'd like.  The poor TL guys in the end just have to stand there and take the flack from what I would call 'childish spoiled brats' and then when they finally get a word in, there's a crowd of 9 to 5 commuters surrounding them and they continue to get yelled at.

Ah gotta love the mindset out here!  Selfish childish brats is what I call 9 to 5 commuters nowadays (and for the most part that is true!).  Just makes my mind fume at their behaviour and attitude towards public transport in general.

Mr X

The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

somebody

I can't believe they sped up those guys service by removing the stops from the 250.

STB

I've got a mate who prints T-Shirts for a living, so I wonder if he can do up a T-Shirt with the saying 'Nine to Five commuters are...' and then that crying baby picture below it.  :-r

O_128

I have a simple solution. Drive! Maybe they should all carpool
"Where else but Queensland?"

#Metro

You could really tell the difference in tact (or lack thereof) at the consultations last year.  The youngsters were very approachable and friendly, and got off what they wanted to say with ease without being aggressive.  The 9 to 5 commuters though (the 30, 40, 50 somethings - all looking practically the same, business clothes), seriously, I'm sitting near them on the bus, they are talking among themselves about how they are going to show who's boss of the PT network, plotting about how they are going to teach TL a lesson about messing with 'Their Bus', and then as soon as the bus stops at Capalaba, they get off in a huff walk straight up to the poor TL folk who are only trying to get the info out and wanting to take down notes for the Planners and before the TL guys get a word in, the 9 to 5 commuters are going off their brains at them in an aggressive herd like manner and countering everything that TL is trying to tell them about why they are altering the network and what sort of feedback they'd like.  The poor TL guys in the end just have to stand there and take the flack from what I would call 'childish spoiled brats' and then when they finally get a word in, there's a crowd of 9 to 5 commuters surrounding them and they continue to get yelled at.

It's not a frickn' car! It's not even 'their' bus! The service is provided at the pleasure of the public taxpayer. Everybody, planners included (I'm looking at you BCC and whoever drew up that Maroon Cityglider) to remember this next time they receive community feedback and the locals ask for a de facto taxi service.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

STB

Just have gone through the Monday to Friday timetable and have noted about 20 issues with the timetable (mainly connectivity issues).  Will be interesting to see if TL decide to do something about it when they next visit the Eastern timetables later this year.

STB

Getting more negative feedback of the truncation of the 255 from Birkdale Rd.  An 86 year old who lives near the rail line and accesses the 255 to get to Birkdale and Wellington Point for Doctors, shopping etc, said to me that she couldn't use Wellington Point railway station due to the steepness of the ramp (it's a disabled with assistance type ramp) as her heart condition wouldn't allow it, also she complained that she now had lost access to Wellington Point for health check ups and shopping.  She wasn't going to walk the 15-20mins from Wellington Point station to Wellington Point.

Another older lady said that she has also now lost a connection to see her family who live along Collingwood Rd, previously she would catch the 255 and transfer then walk down to see them, she said that she had now lost that connection.

Honestly, I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.  And a Planner (a Junior Planner) told me at the spruiking session that they cut the 255 to save money, and that at this stage they have no more money for the region for the next two years.  Oh dear.

STB

Another article...

New action against Redland bus changes
JUDITH KERR
05 Mar, 2012 12:00 AM

QuoteREDLAND bus users are uniting in a concerted bid to thwart changes made to the Translink bus network at the end of February.
The restructuring of 31 eastern bus routes on Monday, February 28, raised the ire of some Redland bus users who have formed groups and organised petitions to take on the public transport provider.

Despite the public outcry, which prompted 27 readers to complain to the Bayside Bulletin in a week, Translink said the eastern network overhaul went well.

The changes that created the biggest outcry were axing route 257, which went from Ormiston to the CBD, modifying route 250, and terminating route 270 at Carindale instead of it going all the way into the CBD.

Axing route 271, which went into the CBD and replacing it with route 276, also created confusion as did the axing of route 285, which connected the Redland Bay ferry terminal to the shops at Victoria Point.

Bus users were also upset with Translink's decision to ditch sections of local routes 252, 255, 256 and 266, axe 278, and cut in half routes 258 and 263.

Modifying route 275 so it no longer serviced Vintage Drive and Island Outlook Avenue at Thornlands, and the 277 so it no longer stopped at Victoria Point jetty, were other changes bus users questioned.

More than 30 regular commuters of the now defunct route 257 from Ormiston to Brisbane CBD signed a petition asking the state government and the LNP to reinstate the service.

Birkdale commuter and principal petitioner Ted Kos said he hoped the state government would listen and act on all the complaints.

Mr Kos said axing route 257 came one month after Translink fares went up 15 per cent.

"It is an unfair administrative decision that is adding to commuting times, taking away the one-seat journey convenience, and degrading public transport in the Redlands," he said.

But the complaints did not stop there and a second group of Redland commuters, Redland City Translink Action, led by Redland resident Michael Coles, joined forces to complain about bus services leaving Brisbane CBD in the afternoon.

Commuters from the city to Redlands claimed the new timetables and routes added up to 20minutes to their bus trip home each afternoon.

Mr Coles said under the changes the City Loop was taking 20 minutes to get out of the inner city on its way to the Redlands.

Mr Coles wrote to Translink and Member for Capalaba Michael Choi last year, and suggested a six-minute inner-city route running from Elizabeth Street into Edward Street, then right onto Alice Street.

He has now set up an action group, which can be contacted about dates of action at translinkaction@gmail.com

Another petition to Translink is by Kate Riggall, who wrote on the Bayside Bulletin website that public transport should be cheap and easy to encourage people to use it, preventing traffic as well as carbon emissions from cars.

Her petition is aimed at a third group and includes people living on the southern bay islands, who are complaining about the lack of coordinated and integrated Translink services and the cost of travel to and from the islands.

Her petition can be found at: http://www.change.org/petitions/anna-bligh-premier-of-queensland-improve-public-transport-reliability-and-affordability?share_id=SYdBvsqJQb&pe=pce .

Despite complaints from the three groups, Translink last week said the restructuring of its network went well.

"The changes have been made to improve reliability and provide more direct connections for customers, providing the best level of service for the majority of our customers, including those in the Redlands," a Translink spokesman said.

"Since February, weve had more than 60 Customer Liaison Officers (CLOs) out on force at stops and on services across the region helping to communicate changes to commuters and residents.

"We continue to work with customers to assist them to adjust to new services. Feedback has been an integral part of the Eastern region changes and was factored into the restructure," the spokesman said.

http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/news/local/news/general/new-action-against-redland-bus-changes/2477723.aspx?storypage=2

:bu

#Metro

Her petition is aimed at a third group and includes people living on the southern bay islands, who are complaining about the lack of coordinated and integrated Translink services and the cost of travel to and from the islands.

Jaysus! Of course if you live on an ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEA you can expect cr*p public transport!
Of course the bus or ferry can ONLY serve YOU and can't combine markets. Crazy!!! DUH!!!

And TransLink gets the blame for that? This is classic projection - it is someone else's problem not theirs.

The problem with TransLink is that their communications is not good enough. The response mentioned in the article assumes that everyone is dumb or can't possibly understand "complex" transport planning, and so instead they get the bog standard 'we have customer liason officers out there' and we never actually hear the reasons behind the problems and the changes. This has got to stop, TL needs to do much better on this front.

STB

Heh, just had a brainwave, maybe those islanders can get a hovercraft and take a one seat journey from their house to the city!  :D :hg

Seriously though, I still don't get why they keep complaining about the lack of integration (unless they are talking about ticketing?) as the bus services, even pre-TL have always been timed to connect with the ferries down there, even in the new timetable.  What do they want, a hovercraft?!  (see above).

#Metro

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Hovercraft from Russel et al islands to North Quay via Brisbane River...

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: STB on March 06, 2012, 22:15:25 PM
Heh, just had a brainwave, maybe those islanders can get a hovercraft and take a one seat journey from their house to the city!  :D :hg

I shouldn't post this as its classified and not yet finished but Translink has been working on for people in the area.

#Metro

I shouldn't post this as its classified and not yet finished but Translink has been working on this for people in the area.

Does it accept Go Card?

SurfRail

Michael Coles has a quite legitimate complaint I think.  I can't see any reason why the Veolia and Mt Gravatt services shouldn't do exactly what he has suggested in town, which exactly mirrors what the Clark's services do.

As for the 257 and the people living on islands - tough.  You can't expect a bus direct to your house something like 30km away that less than 10 people use, or to have the same fares as somebody on the mainland when your trip involves a leg by a barge which is largely unsubsidised. 

Nobody forces people to live on islands anymore.  Russell Island is not St Helena and none of these people are Napoleon!
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on March 07, 2012, 08:57:05 AM
Michael Coles has a quite legitimate complaint I think.  I can't see any reason why the Veolia and Mt Gravatt services shouldn't do exactly what he has suggested in town, which exactly mirrors what the Clark's services do.
The triple lane change from stop 85?  The LCBS services have a bit more time to do it, but not much.

STB

Okay, just quickly, route 276 (former route 271) was in planning since 2007, to provide a consistant route for those living in Victoria Point/Redland Bay via Mt Cotton Rd & Eight Mile Plains, and via Old Cleveland Rd for those living in the northern Redlands (Capalaba, Cleveland).

Why they are whinging about the 266 I have not a clue, the 266 route never changed, only the departure times.

The 252, from my sources, a grand total of 1 person was strongly complaining about the alteration of that route (it's only change was it taken out of Freeth St), the rest of the passengers in that area had no problems with it being taken out as they were all Cleveland bound passengers.

Again, I'm not sure why they are complaining about the 256, they can walk to the 250 on Bloomfield St (I'm assuming it's the passengers on Wynyard St who are the complainers), also I was told by TransLink at one of the info sessions that the 256 was taken out due to the dangerous (according to the bus drivers) right hand turn from Princess St into Bloomfield St, which I tend to agree with.

I bumped into a 257 passenger who got off in Barron Rd, now having to use route 254 plus a transfer at Capalaba, and he did it fine.  He was worried about not making that connection as he finished work after 5pm and the last 254 before it goes hourly is at 6:10pm and he caught a 275 that arrived about 2mins late at Capalaba at 6:07pm.  He told me that it felt different but apparently the other 257 passengers were just sucking it up and getting used to the new changes.  I'm still am supportive of the removal of the 257, even though there are a few passengers out there who just simply don't want to use the train, which is just simply a case of HTFU (you can look that up on Google, too naughty for this forum).

In regards to using the same route as the LCBS services, Simon is right, the problem is that the bus would need to cross about 3 lanes of heavy traffic within a small amount of time to turn right into Edward St in the city, which would be seen as a bit of a dodgy maneuver from the driver's perspective, also from a Planner's perspective.  The other problem too is that the first available stop that isn't covered by other services is the first stop as soon as you turn right into Edward St (from what I can see and that it can only really safely take one bus at a time), the stops further up are taken up by BT and LCBS services in particular and basically are full.

I caught a 275 last week on the new city loop route and it was actually a tad faster by not servicing stop 7 on Ann St, and going directly onto the Riverside Expressway after leaving City Hall/King George Square on Ann St.  We did hit a small amount of heavy traffic but that cleared fairly quickly as we got past the Alice St on ramp.  We arrived pretty much on time at Capalaba.

My only real concern with the new timetables (255 I can work around for the time being), is the 250 timetable.  They have condensed the timetable so much now that late running from what I've seen lately is becoming quite a regular thing.  I caught the 250 out of Carindale yesterday in the offpeak, and it was running 10 minutes late, and it only had a small bus load of people on board!  There was no sign of the outbound 250, so I'm not sure when it got there but that service was running late as well.  In the old timetables that was a rarity.  In other words, there's hardly any slack in the new timetable to allow for frequent stopping (traffic lights, scattered numbers of passengers spread over many stops etc).  The old timetable did have quite excessive amount of time in parts, which could've easily just have taken about 5mins off it, without impacting on the on time running, but that 5 mins at Capalaba, which apparently people hated, was there for a good reason, and that is to allow the service to get back on time if it's running late and to allow passengers to transfer onto local services.  Keep note that the 'pulse timetable' that was put in place - still is in Logan - was removed, so now it can take up to 20 mins to transfer from a local service to the 250.

SurfRail

Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on March 07, 2012, 11:07:48 AM
What about Elizabeth/Creek/Ann/expressway?
That's what they do isn't it?  After serving Parliament on William St, left/left to George then Elizabeth.

🡱 🡳