• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Human Transit (Jarrett Walker) is mandatory reading

Started by #Metro, January 03, 2012, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

Hi

I have got a copy of Human Transit by Jarrett Walker. I think it is mandatory reading. It is well written and straightforward - even the diagrams explaining the different ROWs - Class A, Class B and Class C have a vehicle that is a train that just looks like a bus minus the wheels!

Some highlights:

Page 36 goes through the different penalties (walking trip penalties, waiting penalties, transfer penalties) but makes a nice observation
that it is possible to reduce these penalties down to 1 (i.e. same as in-vehicle time).

Pages 48 and 49 go through the basics of network planning. I have to say that there must be soooo much waste in the bus system running in
parallel to trains.

Page 77 is VERY important- perhaps someone should send a copy to QR! Because it describes two different ways of thinking about peak services versus all day services...

Page 99 describes the different classes of ROW

Page 104 - 107 describes bus lanes (Brisbane City Council take note with respect to Coronation Drive!)

Page 130 & 131 go through coverage versus patronage goals.

Pages 156 and 157 go through connections versus direct service networks by comparing sydney to san fransisco. Nice diagram.

and one very important line:

page 98:
There's one exception to the principle that speed improvements are usually reliability improvements. One way to improve reliability is to write a slower schedule, so that services that were running late can now be declared on time. This can esometimers be that only option but it aslo amounts to a lowering of expectations. Transit agencies that value quality should never do this without raising an alarm and having some public discussion, which could lead to support for more active interventions to improve both reliability and speed.

Looking at you QR!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Gazza

Mr X

The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

dwb

Quote from: tramtrain on January 03, 2012, 11:05:32 AM

I have got a copy of Human Transit by Jarrett Walker.

Hi Tramtrain, how did you obtain said copy? From a local library or did you buy online? From where? Amazon? Booktopia? Fishpond (still preorder but ~$30)? Dymocks (not listed under ISBN)? Angus & Robertson ($63 to be released Feb)?

Amazon US seems the only one to have it in stock, but due to ost cost and delay I would prefer to buy local. Recommendations pls!

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Mr X

I ordered mine through the suggested Aus site linked on his blog $32 + freight of $7 or so.
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

dwb

Quote from: HBU on January 03, 2012, 14:29:24 PM
I ordered mine through the suggested Aus site linked on his blog $32 + freight of $7 or so.

Thanks!! I completely missed that small link on the right of his blog... I had clicked through to Amazon then used the ISBN on books.google.com which lists some sellers, but hadn't had much luck.

The link from the blog also gives you 20% off the book from UNSW Books!!  http://www.newsouthbooks.com.au/isbn/9781597269728specd.htm

Gazza

dwb

Quote from: Gazza on January 03, 2012, 17:20:48 PM
I used uniNSW...Still havent got mine.

I received the following email after ordering today:

QuoteAs the warehouse is currently undergoing their annual stock take this week we expect stock to arrive in store in approximately 10-14 business days. Payment on this order will be processed once stock arrives in store and is ready for dispatch.

Thank you for your order and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,
Emily.

UNSW Bookshop
Special Sales Unit
P 02 9385 6689

Gazza

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

MaxHeadway

My copy (from UNSW) arrived a couple of weeks ago. It's an excellent overview of the fundamentals of a public transport system, in layman's terms.

Mr X

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on January 07, 2012, 15:27:20 PM
Interview with Jarrett Walker on 2GB Sydney

--> http://www.humantransit.org/2012/01/my-first-encounter-with-populist-talk-radio-in-sydney.html
Hmm, doesn't sound like I really agree with him much at all!

From Taylor Square to Newtown, only the 311 & 378 have major differentiation from other routes passing Taylor Square.  Every other route serves Elizabeth near Bathurst St, where you would get off to walk to Town Hall station.

somebody

He reckons that Sydney has a lot of individual routes planned, rather than a network, and it is true that the 376 has no reason to extend to Circular Quay if there is to be a 377.  I can only presume that the 376 was planned before the 377 existed.  I cannot think of any other examples though.

I wonder what he'd say about Brisbane network?

ozbob

"When I grow up I am going to be a bus network planner!"   :P

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on January 07, 2012, 20:15:48 PM
"When I grow up I am going to be a bus network planner!"   :P
Not in Brisbane thank you!

ozbob

I ordered a copy of JW's little tome through Uni NSW as well.  I think JW has a point though.  With respect to Brisbane, why not ask him what he thinks?

somebody

You know, I never really thought of that.  Email him from his website?  Do we know if he's familiar with Brisbane's system?

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on January 08, 2012, 10:29:40 AM
You know, I never really thought of that.  Email him from his website?  Do we know if he's familiar with Brisbane's system?

He worked here for a bit, and was quite conversational with the network when it flooded.

He is very much in favour of the busways.
Ride the G:

Mr X

Translink should be taking a very good look at p135+ re: fares

dwb

Quote from: dwb on January 03, 2012, 21:42:34 PM
Quote from: Gazza on January 03, 2012, 17:20:48 PM
I used uniNSW...Still havent got mine.

I received the following email after ordering today:

QuoteAs the warehouse is currently undergoing their annual stock take this week we expect stock to arrive in store in approximately 10-14 business days. Payment on this order will be processed once stock arrives in store and is ready for dispatch.

Thank you for your order and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,
Emily.

UNSW Bookshop
Special Sales Unit
P 02 9385 6689

Arrived today

somebody

Mr X

Bookshops seem to be a dying breed these days  :thsdo In a way, I hate supporting online shopping, though in some cases there isn't really much of a valid choice. $60 in store + time to drive there + time to shop vs $30 online, delivered to me, ordered in seconds. Hmmmm

#Metro

Soon enough books will be a thing of the past - it will be on your iPhone.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 13, 2012, 14:45:50 PM
Don't they have bookshops anymore?

Ahhh Simon, if you don't have anything to say, why say anything?

Stillwater

If not on the iPhone, the bookshop will be like a fast photocopying shop.  You select the 'book' from an electronic display, the pdf file is transferred from a database somewhere in the world and the book is printed and bound out the back.  No mailing of books, no freight costs and you still get a printed product.

Mr X

Quote from: dwb on January 13, 2012, 19:11:40 PM
Quote from: Simon on January 13, 2012, 14:45:50 PM
Don't they have bookshops anymore?

Ahhh Simon, if you don't have anything to say, why say anything?

Could have said the same about your post!  ;)

ozbob

Not wishing to detract from JW's effort, however,  I am reminded of the '     paperless     office      '   

Ha!

SurfRail

I had some interesting discussions with some Canberra enthusiasts in Perth about some of Jarrett's work.  It seems a number of his concepts were outright rejected for the 2010 network, and that he ended up signing off on something generated locally for some of the services which was better than his concept (I think the Parliamentary services were mentioned).  We also discussed his notion of making the Blue Rapid eventually terminate at Erindale instead of Tuggeranong, which is apparently in a future plan, and which we all agreed seemed rather futile.

It was a subtle reminder to still keep an open mind, but not to treat his opinions as holy writ.  The theory is largely sound - it always comes down to application, and talking to bus drivers and people at the pointy end is important.
Ride the G:

dwb

Quote from: SurfRail on January 18, 2012, 00:07:38 AM
It was a subtle reminder to still keep an open mind, but not to treat his opinions as holy writ.  The theory is largely sound - it always comes down to application, and talking to bus drivers and people at the pointy end is important.

Absolutely! Talking to drivers (and passengers mind you) is important, and yet little of it seems to be done.

ozbob

What's the Best Way To Get Users To Embrace Mass Transit?
Make it pleasant? Or make it efficient?

--> http://slate.me/x2DCmp

dwb

Quote from: ozbob on January 20, 2012, 07:18:15 AM
What's the Best Way To Get Users To Embrace Mass Transit?
Make it pleasant? Or make it efficient?

--> http://slate.me/x2DCmp

Found this interesting once I moved beyond the Rio favela bull.... but that picture was the equivalent of the gaudi streetcar, something to pique people's interest.

🡱 🡳