• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Brisbane Transport farebox recovery info 2004/5 to 2009/10.

Started by somebody, January 02, 2012, 14:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Info's a little old, but still seems relevant to me.  Link: http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/mms/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=75109

2004/052005/062006/072007/082008/092009/10
State+council subsidy ($million)92102111129155169.6
Fares ($million)556167728190
Farebox recovery ratio37.4%37.4%37.6%35.8%34.3%34.7%

Seems like QR aren't the only cause of inefficiency.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 02, 2012, 14:45:41 PM
Info's a little old, but still seems relevant to me.  Link: http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/mms/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=75109

2004/052005/062006/072007/082008/092009/10
State+council subsidy ($million)92102111129155169.6
Fares ($million)556167728190
Farebox recovery ratio37.4%37.4%37.6%35.8%34.3%34.7%

Seems like QR aren't the only cause of inefficiency.

Simon that link is gold and would seem to indicate what we've been saying, it is the inefficiency in the network, rather than the fares that is the real problem and why PT is so expensive in Brisbane.

#Metro

Simon that link is gold and would seem to indicate what we've been saying, it is the inefficiency in the network, rather than the fares that is the real problem and why PT is so expensive in Brisbane.   

That inefficiency could also be called "meeting coverage goals of a bus within 400 m of a house"
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

dwb

Quote from: tramtrain on January 03, 2012, 17:04:39 PM
That inefficiency could also be called "meeting coverage goals of a bus within 400 m of a house"

No not directly, not in this case anyway as that goal existed and was catered to prior to 2004/5.

Gazza

Its not even adhered to anyway. Im certainly further than 400m from a stop, and its not like I'm in the sticks.

Mr X

Unrelated and offtopic- I noticed the link said the BCC's 500 bus plan was paid for by the QLD govt? If so then why was this a big LNP BCC promise when it's not even in their jurisdiction?  ???
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Set in train

Quote from: HBU on January 03, 2012, 23:03:37 PM
Unrelated and offtopic- I noticed the link said the BCC's 500 bus plan was paid for by the QLD govt? If so then why was this a big LNP BCC promise when it's not even in their jurisdiction?  ???

Political communication/clever marketing/lies.

somebody

Quote from: Gazza on January 03, 2012, 22:52:32 PM
Its not even adhered to anyway. Im certainly further than 400m from a stop, and its not like I'm in the sticks.
I'd have thought that between the 101/102, 104 (selected trips) and 106 most of Corinda was covered.

Gazza

somebody

468?  I guess the corner of Fort Rd/Fremont St/Gordon Crt would exceed the 400m benchmark.

In NSW AIUI the standard is 90% of people within 400m to a bus stop.  Not sure what it is here.

dwb

Quote from: Gazza on January 03, 2012, 22:52:32 PM

400m radius, not walk.

90% within 400m bus stop or 800m train station.

See page 42 from the 2007 published 2004 Translink Network Plan.

[ed to correct bad link to image.]

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 09, 2012, 11:13:26 AM
Quote from: dwb on January 09, 2012, 08:57:30 AM
400m radius, not walk.
That's a little pointless isn't it?

Perhaps, but it is easily measured.

Most, if not all "proximity measures" are implemented similarly across Government.

somebody

In case anyone is interested, non-BT trips average approx. $2 fare paid, whereas for BT trips the average fare is $1.17.  Perhaps trips are a lot longer on other services, and/or involve less transfers.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 09, 2012, 20:51:41 PM
In case anyone is interested, non-BT trips average approx. $2 fare paid, whereas for BT trips the average fare is $1.17.  Perhaps trips are a lot longer on other services, and/or involve less transfers.

I'd suggest BT proportionally carries more students than other operators too, given that all UQ, GU, QUT routes are effectively BT run (other than train).

Would be interesting to know how many free pensioner journey trips were given out since its introduction, as a proportion of pensioner trips as that would bring down the average too.

High interchange is a good thing, so that $figure is kind of a bad indicator... I'd suggest we want people making interchange and having multi destination journeys, rather than single seat journeys from say Redlands or Redcliffe to CBD peak only.

Wouldn't you?

somebody

High interchange is a bad thing when it is Adelaide St-CC first trip and then interchange.

It's a good thing when it is Algester-Altandi, then train to Fortitude Valley.

I'd agree about BT carrying a lot of students.  Could be a factor, but I am sure not the only one.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 10, 2012, 12:47:32 PM
High interchange is a bad thing when it is Adelaide St-CC first trip and then interchange.

It's a good thing when it is Algester-Altandi, then train to Fortitude Valley.

I'd agree about BT carrying a lot of students.  Could be a factor, but I am sure not the only one.

True, that is why it would be nice if pedestrian conditions were improved on Victoria Bridge... some of those needless interchanges could be offset. It is only a short walk and people should be encouraged to do it via foot!

somebody

Or you could fix the city stop locations and those transfers would reduce to a trickle.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 10, 2012, 13:08:03 PM
Or you could fix the city stop locations and those transfers would reduce to a trickle.

Or you could do both...

SurfRail

There are probably other factors too.  Most smaller private operators no longer have full time employees, have smaller overheads (smaller depots and smaller fleets as services are less peaky) and are not unionised up the wazoo (ie higher wages).
Ride the G:

#Metro

As an aside, I quite like the owner driver scheme discussed in Jarrett Walker's Human Transit. This might be a goer for more rural / regional places.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

SurfRail

Quote from: tramtrain on January 10, 2012, 18:41:57 PM
As an aside, I quite like the owner driver scheme discussed in Jarrett Walker's Human Transit. This might be a goer for more rural / regional places.

Like Melbourne's Route 509? Probably the only integrated metropolitan example of this I can think of in Australia. 

Here's their fleetlist and history, and a streetview of their nearby "depot".
Ride the G:

#Metro

What an odd bus route!

You know what's hilarious - it runs at 20 minute frequency all day, better than 90% of brisbane buses I reckon!

somebody

dwb

Quote from: SurfRail on January 10, 2012, 17:37:51 PM

There are probably other factors too.  Most smaller private operators no longer have full time employees, have smaller overheads (smaller depots and smaller fleets as services are less peaky) and are not unionised up the wazoo (ie higher wages).

Surely the operator specific cost recovery has nothing to do with either contractual payments to the operator or to actual operator costs... so is this relevant? I assumed Translink just added up all the money that BT passed to them and divided it by the number of tags/button presses that BT had - each being a "trip".

SurfRail

Quote from: dwb on January 11, 2012, 09:10:52 AM
Quote from: SurfRail on January 10, 2012, 17:37:51 PM

Surely the operator specific cost recovery has nothing to do with either contractual payments to the operator or to actual operator costs... so is this relevant? I assumed Translink just added up all the money that BT passed to them and divided it by the number of tags/button presses that BT had - each being a "trip".

The formula is apparently based on service kilometres rather than patronage.  Maybe that should be reviewed...
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on January 17, 2012, 23:49:20 PM
The formula is apparently based on service kilometres rather than patronage.  Maybe that should be reviewed...
I think it's right.  AFAIK it's in line with what is done in other jurisdictions.  If you want to base payment on patronage then they should be able to plan the networks themselves, and that isn't a good idea.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on January 18, 2012, 09:03:54 AM
I think it's right.  AFAIK it's in line with what is done in other jurisdictions.  If you want to base payment on patronage then they should be able to plan the networks themselves, and that isn't a good idea.

There should still be some incentivisation for getting operating costs right down, so they can skim a bit of the subsidy and invest it into the network (BT)/profits (privates) but in such a way that TTA is pays less for unproductive arrangements.
Ride the G:

somebody

If the payments are based on service kilometres, at least there's an incentive to reduce dead running.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on January 18, 2012, 09:29:30 AM
If the payments are based on service kilometres, at least there's an incentive to reduce dead running.

But not much incentive to have an efficient service

Golliwog

Nor much of an incentive to ensure proper patronage counts are done (ie, double counting go card users) either to give TL the data it needs to make proper network planning decisions.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mr X

Let me get this straight,
Translink "subsidised" fares in 2009 by 75% (farebox recovery 25%)
BT farebox recovery is 35%

Thus the inefficiencies aren't in BT?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

#Metro

Route 416 anyone?
105?
Fig Tree Pocket Rocket (why does that area need its own rocket?)

achiruel

Quote from: Happy Bus User on January 19, 2012, 15:03:17 PM
Let me get this straight,
Translink "subsidised" fares in 2009 by 75% (farebox recovery 25%)
BT farebox recovery is 35%

Thus the inefficiencies aren't in BT?

There are inefficiencies in BT, but other operators are even less efficient.  That's the way I'd read it, anyway.

#Metro

QuoteThere are inefficiencies in BT, but other operators are even less efficient.  That's the way I'd read it, anyway.

Disagree. There's heaps of waste at BT - route 88 for starters!

The other operators are likely to be smaller operators (don't have the same economies of scale), doing runs outside Brisbane (lower density/not as much demand because they don't have CBD) and more likely to run coverage/welfare services at frequencies that don't attract huge patronage.

The exception to this would be Surfside.

Pity that Ips isn't that frequent either...

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on January 19, 2012, 20:32:48 PM
QuoteThere are inefficiencies in BT, but other operators are even less efficient.  That's the way I'd read it, anyway.

Disagree. There's heaps of waste at BT - route 88 for starters!

The other operators are likely to be smaller operators (don't have the same economies of scale), doing runs outside Brisbane (lower density/not as much demand because they don't have CBD) and more likely to run coverage/welfare services at frequencies that don't attract huge patronage.

The exception to this would be Surfside.

Pity that Ips isn't that frequent either...
Please explain how that doesn't fly in the face of the figures which are in front of you, combined with the figures for the overall farebox recovery ratio.

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on January 18, 2012, 09:10:51 AM
Quote from: Simon on January 18, 2012, 09:03:54 AM

There should still be some incentivisation for getting operating costs right down, so they can skim a bit of the subsidy and invest it into the network (BT)/profits (privates) but in such a way that TTA is pays less for unproductive arrangements.
You may be interested in some posts on the Auckland Transport Blog on this.  They still have "net" subsidised trips (operator keeps fares), commercial trips (unsubsidised) and "gross" - the way we do it.  They are moving to an all "gross" contract system.  I think I've read that Wellington are similar.

I think this info must be buried in the links, but can have a go at digging it up if you want.

🡱 🡳