• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

The Westlander!

Started by ozbob, December 19, 2011, 07:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

A couple of us have booked on the Westlander departing Roma St 7.15pm Thursday 9th Feb arriving at Charleville 12noon on Friday 10th.

Lunch / sight seeing at Charleville.

Return journey departing Charleville Friday 10th 6.15pm for arrival at Roma St Saturday 11th Feb 11.15am.

All welcome!

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/8/8/8/3888.1178330400.jpg

QR Traveltrain's 'Westlander' service leaves Gatton, headed by Clyde/GM #2411, bound for Brisbane
Gatton
May 05, 2007

Scott Barnes

Stillwater

Are people just booking sit-ups?

ozbob

I have booked a sleeper.  May as well enjoy it zzzzzzzz ...   ;)

The last time I went to Charleville (and Quilpie and Cunnamulla) was behind a PB15 (732), looking forward to revisiting Charleville.

mufreight

If enough pilgrims do the trip QR might have to add a carriage to cater for this sttistical anomoly.

SurfRail

Quote from: mufreight on December 19, 2011, 17:23:20 PM
If enough pilgrims do the trip QR might have to add a carriage louvre van with a mattress to cater for this sttistical anomoly.

Fixed.  :)

(Mind you that wouldn't stop me from going... if I had the time.)
Ride the G:

mufreight

Quote from: SurfRail on December 19, 2011, 18:00:33 PM
Quote from: mufreight on December 19, 2011, 17:23:20 PM
If enough pilgrims do the trip QR might have to add a carriage louvre van with a mattress to cater for this sttistical anomoly.

Fixed.  :)

(Mind you that wouldn't stop me from going... if I had the time.)

Or a KL

ozbob

ozbob

I have my ticket, paid my dough today.

See you on board!

ozbob

I hope to be able to talk to the local media at Charleville of course!

And we will ...

Stillwater

Maybe worthwhile contacting them beforehand to tee up interviews.

Western Times
94A Alfred Street, Charleville QLD 4470
(07) 4654 1099

Bidjara Media & Broadcasting
49-51 Wills Street, Charleville QLD 4470
(07) 4654 1112 ‎

Charleville Radio & TV (Radio Station 4VL)
14 Wills Street, Charleville QLD 4470
(07) 4654 1633

ozbob

Quote from: Stillwater on December 21, 2011, 22:24:37 PM

Maybe worthwhile contacting them beforehand to tee up interviews.

Western Times
94A Alfred Street, Charleville QLD 4470
(07) 4654 1099

Bidjara Media & Broadcasting
49-51 Wills Street, Charleville QLD 4470
(07) 4654 1112 ‎

Charleville Radio & TV (Radio Station 4VL)
14 Wills Street, Charleville QLD 4470
(07) 4654 1633

:co3

Stillwater

Media reports today say 30 houses in Charleville have been ordered evacuated as floodwaters again threaten low-lying areas of the town.  Lets hope the waters go down for the epic Westlander trip, Ozbob.

ozbob

ozbob

http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/RailServices/Travelnetwork/AlterationsDisruptions/Pages/TheeastboundWestlander-CharlevilletoBrisbane9Feb12.aspx

The eastbound Westlander - Charleville to Brisbane

Friday 9 February 2012

The 6.15pm Westlander service from Charleville to Brisbane will be terminating in Toowoomba and customer will be conveyed by coach Toowoomba to Roma St Station

Customers are advised this service will run as close to the original timetable as possible with coaches conveying customers from Toowoomba to Roma St stopping all stations

Delays may be experienced.

Queensland Rail Travel apologises for any inconvenience to customers due to this service adjustment.

::)

ozbob

I think they mean Friday the 10th of February ...

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on January 31, 2012, 13:10:03 PM
I think they mean Friday the 10th of February ...

HA! Rang QR Travel.  It is actually the eastbound leaving Charleville on the 9th of MARCH 2012 that will be bus Toowoomba to BNE.

Typo ...

ozbob

Just in case, still raining out west ...

http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/RailServices/Travelnetwork/Pages/Disruptionsrefundpolicy.aspx

QuoteDisruptions refund policy

During Queensland's wet season months, usually October to March, Queensland Rail Travel services can experience delays and disruptions during this period. We strongly recommend travel insurance at the time of booking. Ask us or your travel agent for more details.

For disruptions known prior to departure

(This includes customers that Queensland Rail Travel have been unable to contact prior to them arriving at the departure station).

Customers will be advised of the alternate arrangements that will be provided by Queensland Rail Travel i.e. primarily coach transport.

Customers have the following choices:

Travel with us using the alternate transport provided - no refund applies
    Rebook travel to a different date without paying change fees even if the ticket is a special rail fare
    Cancel this journey and hold a credit with Queensland Rail Travel for travel within six  months of the affected service
    Cancel and obtain a refund (no Queensland Rail Travel cancellation fees are charged). Customers with tickets paid at a travel agent will be referred to contact their agent for refund requests.

For disruptions that occur en-route after departure

Customers will be advised of the alternate transport that Queensland Rail Travel will provide to get them to their destination i.e. primarily coach transport.

Customers have the following choices:

Take up on the provided transport - no refund applies
    Not accept the alternate transport provided by Queensland Rail Travel and arrange their own alternate transport.

No refund applies. The customer pays their own alternate arrangements. Queensland Rail Travel is not responsible for any additional expenses incurred.

Exceptions and/or amendments to this policy will be documented in the disruption notice distributed to Queensland Rail Travel staff and published on the Queensland Rail Travel website.

ozbob

http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/RailServices/TravelNetwork/AlterationsDisruptions/Pages/WestlanderServiceChanges.aspx

03/02/2012   
The Westlander services
Due to track damage caused by heavy rain at Mungallala between Mitchell and Charleville, there are service disruptions to The Westlander services.

Not looking real good

BOM  http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR671.loop.shtml#skip

ozbob

If the line is still out next week, my alternate dates will be 12 - 14 April.

ozbob

Those of us who are booked on the Westlander this week have all now decided to cancel, and defer to the 12-14th April.

There are still high floods levels at Roma and Charleville, the track west of Roma has wash aways. Mitchell was impacted severely. It is doubtful if it will be sorted by the end of the week, and rather to continue with uncertainty best to defer.

ozbob

Have rebooked, leaving Brisbane 12th April, return Charleville 13th Dec, Rosewood 14th.  Bus in from Rosewood, there is a track closure that weekend. (of course .. LOL )

Queensland Rail happy to change under the circumstances.

ozbob

http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/RailServices/TravelNetwork/AlterationsDisruptions/Pages/WestlanderServiceChanges.aspx

07/02/2012   
The Westlander services
Due to heavy flooding, there will be service adjustments to The Westlander services.
Last updated: 1:49pm, 06/02/2012

ozbob

There has been no formal detailed advice issued by Queensland Rail as of yet on the disruptions AFAIAA, however I did hear a Queensland Rail representative on the news talking about cattle trains being suspended out of Quilpie and other disruptions to Westlander and the Spirit of the Outback.  Damage assessment on going.  Parts of lines under water.

achiruel

I'll probably be in Toowoomba around that time, would it be okay to join the trip for Toowoomba-Charleville only?

ozbob

Quote from: achiruel on March 04, 2012, 13:44:20 PM
I'll probably be in Toowoomba around that time, would it be okay to join the trip for Toowoomba-Charleville only?

Sure would, although we have sleepers booked.   The return trip leaving Charleville on the 13th is being terminated at Toowoomba,  track work.  Unfortunately those days are the only time I can make it so still pushing ahead.

Stillwater

Update:  On April 14th, the Westlander ex Charleville won't be stopping at Rosewood, as advised originally, but will now terminate at Toowoomba, with passengers conveyed from there to Brisbane by bus.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Stillwater on March 09, 2012, 13:05:21 PM
Update:  On April 14th, the Westlander ex Charleville won't be stopping at Rosewood, as advised originally, but will now terminate at Toowoomba, with passengers conveyed from there to Brisbane by bus.

Oh dear.
As a sunny coaster, you would be used to a bus SW, pity those who aren't.   ;D
Regards,
Fares_Fair

colinw

Foaming mode engaged ...  :lo :lo :lo

I caught the Westlander all the way to Quilpie in early 1994 just for the hell of it. That was just before they stopped running past Charleville to Quilpie & Cunnamulla.

It was a great journey, and one I recommend to everyone. The dining / griddle car served a mean steak sandwich.

The outbound journey was relatively quiet, with moderate loadings as far as Charleville and then very few passengers continuing to Quilipi. Interestingly, quite a lot of local passengers were observed boarding at Charleville to go to Cunnamulla.  Easily a couple of carriage loads.

The return journey was somewhat busier, with maybe 10 pax starting their journey from Quilpie. Quite a few passengers then joined at Charleville & Roma (and presumably other stops toward Toowoomba through the wee hours). By departure from Dalby the next morning there was a reasonable load on board, and the dining car was busy serving breakfast all the way to Toowoomba.

Close to half the passengers disembarked at Toowoomba, it seemed that in 1994 it was still a well used service for people from Charlevilla, Roma, etc., visiting family or going to the hospital in Toowoomba. I shared my breakfast table with a lovely old lady from Roma who complained bitterly about the removal of the Toowoomba to Roma railcar service the previous year.

A great journey, and one I wish I had the time to repeat.

I did it all again on the PB15 hauled ARHS tour to Wandoan, Cunnamulla & Quilpie.

I really must get my photos & video from some of those early '90s tours scanned. Particularly the 1993 tour to Dirranbandi, which was easily the best ARHS trip I have ever been on. Besides those of us on for the whole trip, that tour hauled hundreds of happy school kids over short sections. For most of them it was the first time they had either seen a steam locomotive or actually been on a train.

Oh, for those of you who do the trip, make sure you have a beer or two in the Hotel Corones in Charleville.

One thing I very much regret is that I never did the Dirranbandi Mail, or either the Yaraka or Hughenden to Winton mixed services.

Stillwater

What's the long-term future of the Westie will be under an LNP government.  And when will we see the ICEs disappear from the SCL to make the Rocky-Emerald run?

petey3801

Quote from: Stillwater on April 02, 2012, 08:43:37 AM
What's the long-term future of the Westie will be under an LNP government.  And when will we see the ICEs disappear from the SCL to make the Rocky-Emerald run?

Westie - Probably not very long :(

ICE - Rumours I heard are within the next 2 years (ie: by 2014ish).
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

Stillwater

achiruel

Quote from: petey3801 on April 02, 2012, 13:03:28 PM
Westie - Probably not very long :(

ICE - Rumours I heard are within the next 2 years (ie: by 2014ish).

Why would LNP dump the Westlander? It serves their heartland electorates.

ICE - at least it will be doing something it's designed for I guess instead of suburban runs.

Arnz

I would assume the IMU 100 series would take over the Gympie North runs full time if the ICEs are withdrawn, as they are the only units apart from the ICEs which has ATP.

I know the ATP on the IMU100s are not operational yet, but I would assume the drivers would've been trained for the ATP systems on the IMU100s by then.  
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Stillwater

Temperatures 19-34 in Charleville today.

ozbob

ozbob

On the way to Charleville, 1994.  This was an ARHS tour to Wandoan, Charleville, Quilpie and Cunnamulla

Passing inbound Westlander west of Toowoomba

Charleville or bust!

Lunch on the 3' 6"

Photographs R Dow May 1994.

ozbob

Media Release 12 April 2012

Queensland:  Long distance passenger rail travel is a winner!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport is highlighting the value of the long distance passenger rail services in Queensland.  Today RAIL Back On Track representatives will be departing Brisbane on the Westlander and will be arriving in Charleville at noon on Friday (13th April).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The Westlander is one of the great long distance passenger trains in Queensland. In 2004 there were Golden Anniversary celebrations marking 50 years of the Westlander serving the community and visitors of western Queensland (1). The long distance passenger trains in Queensland are unique.  Providing a quality tourist travel experience they are also important transport communication links for many remote towns throughout Queensland. The Sunlander, the Spirit of the Outback, the Westlander, the Inlander and the Tilt Train services all value add to the economy of Queensland, directly and indirectly.  This was further reinforced with Queensland Rail's Traveltrain Holidays taking out the Major Tourist Attraction award at the 2008 Outback Queensland Tourism Awards (2)."

"Subsidies to Queensland Rail's long distance passenger trains are sensible and are of benefit to the whole community.  Support for the rural community by the Queensland Government in maintaining and improving these services is to be applauded.  It should also be noted that public transport in south-east Queensland is also heavily subsidised.  So is health, electricity, water, education and other transport modes.  Rarely is the true cost of road and air infrastructure, and their environmental penalties costed into those transport modes. If they were, they too would show distortions of cost and subsidies. The cost of road trauma is breaking our nation (3). As freight is moved from rail to road, ever increasing numbers of road trucks are causing costly road damage. Queensland is more than just the south-east! Rail subsidies are returned as broader economic benefits which is why the world getting on with the rail revolution."

"Governments are there to support their communities. Governments lost the transport plot in the 1950s and until recently have lacked the long term vision of our pioneers who laid down our basic rail network.  For example, the myopia demonstrated when the Gold Coast and Tweed Heads railways were closed during the 1960s and right of way lost is now hitting home in exorbitant infrastructure costs to re-establish those lines."

"In twenty or thirty years it is highly likely that the only sustainable bulk transport mode will be rail.  Air and road will be subject to extreme fuel and environmental costs. Governments need to be thinking long term and therefore expanding and continuing support for rail networks.  Rail is the safe, sustainable and environmentally friendly transport solution for Queensland and the nation."

"RAIL Back On Track has reason to believe the Westlander passenger rail service may be ceased in the not too distant future.  The aging Queensland Rail long distance passenger carriage fleet needs replacement. Consideration should then be given to other new diesel/hybrid multiple unit train sets besides the tilt trains for more local and long distance inland passenger services in Queensland (4). Regular commuter services could also be introduced from places such as Gatton, Helidon, and eventually Toowoomba and further west, and similarly from Gympie North and Maryborough.  Apart from the coastal services more local rail services for major provincial cities in Queensland could also be achieved. Local commuter rail services could be established in places like Cairns and Townsville with a bit of vision (5).

"Queensland Rail could also provide a light freight service attached as part of the inland passenger services.  The loss of regular rail freight services to towns such as Cunnamulla and Quilpie, and Charleville is hurting these communities."

"Country rail passenger services have boomed in Victoria under the V/Line banner.  There is no reason why similar results can not be achieved for rural Queensland."

References:

1.   WESTLANDER CELEBRATES GOLDEN MILESTONE http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=36990

2.   http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=1510.0

3.   Road trauma is breaking the nation http://www.brisinst.org.au/here-and-now/october-2010-issue/7

4.   http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products/rolling_stock/hybrid/index.html

5.   http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=4683.0

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

At Goodna rail, 2333D just went through on the pointy end of a down coalie.  Looks like the down pass is on time right behind it.  Have a couple of commitments in town before joining the Westlander at Roma St later this evening.

ED:  passed Up coalie at Wacol.  On board EMU76, never a dull moment on the Ippy ....

ozbob

Good morning!  Somewhere around Roma now ... nice sleep and shower!  About to have breakfast ... only way to travel.  The internet is going well right now!

🡱 🡳