• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

New TransLink CEO

Started by ozbob, December 14, 2011, 03:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

The Couriermail here has indicated Mr Neil Scales will be the new CEO TransLink

-->   http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/9416665.Neil_Scales_stands_down_as_Merseytravel_chief/

More --> Merseytravel chief resigns for new challenge in Australia

QuoteNeil Scales is to leave his job as chief executive and director general of Merseytravel after almost 15 years with the organisation.

He is to become chief executive of TransLink, the public transport authority in Brisbane, Australia, and takes up his new post in March.

Mr Scales said: "It was a hard decision to make and one I spent some considerable time agonising over but I have received an offer which was too difficult to refuse.

"For me this is a challenge to make a real difference on the other side of the world and an opportunity of a once-in-a lifetime experience 'down under' ".

In a message to Merseytravel staff he said: "I know I leave Merseytravel in good shape to face the future and I am proud of what we have achieved together.

"There is much I will miss, in particular the tremendous support I have received from you all during my time here. I truly thank you for your loyalty and hard work and wish you all every success in the future."

Councillor Mark Dowd, chairman of Merseytravel, said: "I have worked with Neil Scales for fifteen years, and he has been a massive asset to Merseytravel and Merseyside.

"His expertise is not only known and appreciated here, but obviously overseas too, and this is a wonderful opportunity for him to further his career.

"He will be missed professionally, but it is also a great personal loss to me as both a friend and chairman, and to the organisation as a whole."
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

somebody

Hope he's better than the last Brit we imported.  You'd think that if we went overseas we'd go to Canada or a non-English speaking country.

HappyTrainGuy

Obviously no one in Australia knows how to run PT so we have to look abroad  :)

somebody

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on December 14, 2011, 09:55:18 AM
Obviously no one in Australia knows how to run PT so we have to look abroad  :)
There's quite a lot of truth in that.  Sydney and Brisbane both have quite dysfunctional PT systems in a lot of ways.  Some rellies in Adelaide tell me their system isn't that good.  Melbourne is improving since bringing in MTR, but still have a lot of issues.  Perth is probably doing the best, but they aren't perfect either.

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/media-releases/release/444

New TransLink CEO to continue network growth

Wednesday 14 December 2011

One of the United Kingdom's most influential senior public transport executives has been appointed to continue the growth in public transport across South East Queensland.

TransLink Transit Authority's Chairman Geoff Harley welcomed the appointment of Neil Scales as Chief Executive Officer following a national and international search for a world class executive.

"I congratulate Neil on his appointment, which is a significant coup in TransLink's ongoing goal of making travel easy for customers," Mr Harley said.

"Neil will bring more than 30 years of public transport experience to TransLink.

"His enviable resume includes executive experience across the north of England, a consultant to the World Bank and the European Commission and 12 years in his current role as Chief Executive and Director-General of Merseytravel.

"In 2005, Neil was awarded an OBE for services to transport.

"He is credited with making Merseytravel one of the best transport authorities in the UK, which makes him an ideal person to lead the TransLink Transit Authority.

"He will take up his position in March 2012, with Matt Longland continuing to serve as interim CEO until then."

Mr Scales said he was looking forward to continuing to build TransLink's reputation as one of the leaders in integrated transport in Australia.

"I'm excited by the opportunity to work with the customers, state and local governments, local operators and the talented staff at TransLink to deliver the best possible outcomes for South East Queensland," Mr Scales said.

"I'm impressed with the significant investment being made by the Queensland Government and the willingness to deliver services and infrastructure for public transport across the region.

"Without doubt, improving the mode share of public transport will be vitally important for the future livability of the South East Queensland region for future generations and I look forward to delivering that to the best of my ability."

=================

Welcome to Queensland Mr Scales!

somebody

At least Merseyrail know how to run more frequently than half an hour.  From wiki:
QuoteEach route has a train every 15 minutes Monday-Saturday giving a five-minute interval between trains on the central section.
Perhaps the new CEO can bring some of that knowledge with him.

100k weekday journeys from 67 stations and 121km isn't bad at all, from a smaller population than Brisbane.

Must confess some optimism with this new guy.

mufreight

Must agree with Simon on this one, Mr Strachan oversaw the creation of a bureaucracy but did little that was not already in train to improve Public Transport in South East Queensland and his departure was greeted with cheers and a sense of hope with the intrim appointment of Mr Longland.
Some of the best operationam managers of Public Transport have worked their way up through the system within this country but this Government which at best could be described as incompetent and inept seems to think that overpriced politicialy appointed CEO's are the answer to the problems of public perception aflicting Public Transport that have been created by or excabated by Government (and their politicialy appointed figure heads) mismanagement of the Public Transport system overall.
We would hope that Mr Scales proves to be as competent as is claimed and is allowed the opportunity to actualy fix the shortcomings of the Public Transport system regardless of the Government following the election.
Good luck Mr Scales.

Stillwater

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Mr Scales puts on his best suit for a visit to the Minister's office, should that Minister be of the LNP variety.  An LNP minister might have some interesting views about Translink, although we can only guess what they might be in the absence of a transport policy.  Needless to say ' doing more with less' will be a catchcry across government, whichever colour is elected.

Perhaps Ozbob or someone could find Mr Scales' current email address and hook him up with this website so Mr Scales can get across issues before he arrives.  After all, we don't want him looking like a stunned mullet the moment he steps off the plane and a journo from BT or CM asks 'what are you going to do about CRR?'   ;D

Stillwater

It will be interesting having a Translink CEO that probably talks with the same accent as George, Ringo, John and Paul.  Here are some comments from the Liverpool Echo website, upon news of Mr Scales' departure from Merseyrail (which used to be known more commonly as 'Miseryrail').

Good Riddance to the man - a disastrous appointment 15 years ago. Miseryrail transformed under him - I don't think so! Miseryrail's transformation was started and maintained under MTL Rail and latterly Arriva. Then certain Councillors couldn't resist the bright lights of Amsterdam and the Dutch lot were brought in and everyone were in bed together and it was happy days!

The buses - these went from bad to downright disgusting. All the 'cowboys' were given all Subsidised Contracts (remember Dallinger!). Don't worry though they got their payback after selling MTL for a pound! They've kitted themselves out well though - have you saw all their offices - nothing but the best!
Finally, what a fiasco with the trams - Neil Scales, hang your head in shame! Oh and pick them Tram Rails you ordered off the side of the docks and take them with you.
He can't control anything which is controlled by the anti-public transport DofT - all the examples you quote are those. He hasn't stopped pushing for any of them, despite constant rebuffs and ham-stringing from successive SE-focused governments. Compare the levels of information, comfort and reliability on Merseyrail now with 15 years ago - using it almost every day I can say it is a *way* sight better now than it was.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Neil Scales in the past. He is an exemplary CEO who showed a huge amount of pride in his workforce. The passion he showed for the adult education programmes within Merseytravel was a truly inspirational (no I wasnt involved by the way).
Having worked for 15 years with the constant in-fighting and hostility of Liverpool Council to contend with, I think he has done a terrific job.
Thank you Neil for the excellent improvement in rail service we have seen under your tenure, and all the very best for your next role. I hope his successor can oversee a similar level of progress.

Don't really know too much about him but I do know that bus fares have gotten expensive over the last few years, and what happened to the pricing structure? same price to go just one stop as all the way.

It must have been a really difficult decision for Neil Scales. He's had to make staff redundant, cut services and seen his government grant funding cut by a third. Then he's offered a job in Australia. If I was him I'd be on the next flight out.  Do us all a favour Mr Scales. If you're getting a one-way ticket get Cameron one and take him with you.

Good luck down under!

Trains to Chester every 15 minutes and it is rare you have to stand and nobody left on the station - magic. Northern rail - 3 out of 4 people are standing in rush hours and 1 in 2 standing the rest of the time with people left at the station with their 2 carriage only trains - tragic.
There was of course that railway silliness of merseyrail that saw them throw you off trains if they were running 10 minutes late so the train could get back to the start but I dont think they do that any more.

Mr X

:o

Where do they find these muppets?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Fares_Fair

oh dear !
How big is Merseyside compared to the TTA's area ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

HappyTrainGuy

About the size of Bindha  :-r

Going by those comments he'll be right at home with Translink.

somebody

Quote from: Fares_Fair on December 14, 2011, 16:10:04 PM
oh dear !
How big is Merseyside compared to the TTA's area ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Liverpool: about 800k
Merseyside: 1.4mil IIRC.

You could check this on wiki.

#Metro

QuoteIt will be interesting having a Translink CEO that probably talks with the same accent as George, Ringo, John and Paul.  Here are some comments from the Liverpool Echo website, upon news of Mr Scales' departure from Merseyrail (which used to be known more commonly as 'Miseryrail').

Good Riddance to the man - a disastrous appointment 15 years ago. Miseryrail transformed under him - I don't think so! Miseryrail's transformation was started and maintained under MTL Rail and latterly Arriva. Then certain Councillors couldn't resist the bright lights of Amsterdam and the Dutch lot were brought in and everyone were in bed together and it was happy days!

The buses - these went from bad to downright disgusting. All the 'cowboys' were given all Subsidised Contracts (remember Dallinger!). Don't worry though they got their payback after selling MTL for a pound! They've kitted themselves out well though - have you saw all their offices - nothing but the best!
Finally, what a fiasco with the trams - Neil Scales, hang your head in shame! Oh and pick them Tram Rails you ordered off the side of the docks and take them with you.
He can't control anything which is controlled by the anti-public transport DofT - all the examples you quote are those. He hasn't stopped pushing for any of them, despite constant rebuffs and ham-stringing from successive SE-focused governments. Compare the levels of information, comfort and reliability on Merseyrail now with 15 years ago - using it almost every day I can say it is a *way* sight better now than it was.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Neil Scales in the past. He is an exemplary CEO who showed a huge amount of pride in his workforce. The passion he showed for the adult education programmes within Merseytravel was a truly inspirational (no I wasnt involved by the way).
Having worked for 15 years with the constant in-fighting and hostility of Liverpool Council to contend with, I think he has done a terrific job.
Thank you Neil for the excellent improvement in rail service we have seen under your tenure, and all the very best for your next role. I hope his successor can oversee a similar level of progress.

Don't really know too much about him but I do know that bus fares have gotten expensive over the last few years, and what happened to the pricing structure? same price to go just one stop as all the way.

It must have been a really difficult decision for Neil Scales. He's had to make staff redundant, cut services and seen his government grant funding cut by a third. Then he's offered a job in Australia. If I was him I'd be on the next flight out.  Do us all a favour Mr Scales. If you're getting a one-way ticket get Cameron one and take him with you.

Good luck down under!

Trains to Chester every 15 minutes and it is rare you have to stand and nobody left on the station - magic. Northern rail - 3 out of 4 people are standing in rush hours and 1 in 2 standing the rest of the time with people left at the station with their 2 carriage only trains - tragic.
There was of course that railway silliness of merseyrail that saw them throw you off trains if they were running 10 minutes late so the train could get back to the start but I dont think they do that any more.

All this shows is that there are whingers everywhere! Some things never change!

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Stillwater

Maybe RailBOT can hire a room at a suitable venue in the city for a sit-down dinner (open to all, not just RailBOT), charge $70 a head and have Mr Scales give an 'address to customers'.  I'd pay of that order to hear him speak.  About time RailBOT had a bank account with some money in it -- for buying 'Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line' T-shirts.  lol  Maybe we can present one to Mr Scales as a gift for his after-dinner talk.

O_128

Can I ask why a CEO is needed? Just have the minister as CEO as its not like anyone can make  decision without it going through the Minister. I would like to see Translink run much more independently,
"Where else but Queensland?"

somebody

Quote from: O_128 on December 14, 2011, 18:54:33 PM
Can I ask why a CEO is needed? Just have the minister as CEO as its not like anyone can make  decision without it going through the Minister. I would like to see Translink run much more independently,
It's needed.  Politicians aren't really the professionals in their field, there needs to be someone to make those levels of decisions, and give expert advice to the Minister.  Also, it gives the Minister a single point of contact.

SurfRail

How does having a government minister sign off on things directly make TTA independent?
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on December 14, 2011, 23:12:06 PM
How does having a government minister sign off on things directly make TTA independent?
Not sure why they should try to make it independent.  Have there been many examples of good stuff being done by QANGOs?

Ministerial accountability has to be the mantra IMO, but this notion seems to grate in Qld.

dwb

Quote from: tramtrain on December 14, 2011, 16:33:11 PM
All this shows is that there are whingers everywhere! Some things never change!

rofl +1 tt.

dwb

Are you serious?? The CEO needs to set the direction of the organisation and provide leadership. The Minister may sign off on big ticket stuff and give some high level directiosn to the CEO, but it his/her role to educate the minister and deliver on more than what the Minister wants... ie the strategic direction of the organisation...

somebody

Quote from: dwb on December 15, 2011, 10:53:49 AM

Are you serious?? The CEO needs to set the direction of the organisation and provide leadership. The Minister may sign off on big ticket stuff and give some high level directiosn to the CEO, but it his/her role to educate the minister and deliver on more than what the Minister wants... ie the strategic direction of the organisation...
I disagree.  The "E" stands for Executive.  Setting the direction is the role of politicians.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on December 15, 2011, 10:56:35 AM
I disagree.  The "E" stands for Executive.  Setting the direction is the role of politicians.

The politicians will say "I want x" and it is the executive's role to fill in the detail

Mr X

Politicians don't know the ins and outs of running a business though.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

somebody

Quote from: dwb on December 15, 2011, 11:12:56 AM

The politicians will say "I want x" and it is the executive's role to fill in the detail
That's what I mean.

ozbob

BrizCommuter

Interestingly, BrizCommuter has been having a look at the Merseyrail network on google maps. Many of the areas served appear to have no higher population density than parts of Brisbane. Yet Merseyrail can justify a 15 min off-peak frequency even on branches with only a handful of stations.

ozbob

Might be a good omen ...

Meanwhile, the ferry side of things is also impressive ..

Stillwater

I wonder if Neil Scales, the man imported from Britain to be the Translink CEO, knows just how politicised transport is in this country?  This article reveals how much he is being paid: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/12/14/merseytravel-chief-executive-neil-scales-leaves-for-new-transport-job-in-australia-100252-29946641/

It also reveals that he oversaw the corporatisation of Merseytravel Rail and is operation by a South African company.  What might the ALP have in mind for QR?

somebody

Quote from: Stillwater on January 20, 2012, 07:22:16 AM
I wonder if Neil Scales, the man imported from Britain to be the Translink CEO, knows just how politicised transport is in this country?  This article reveals how much he is being paid: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/12/14/merseytravel-chief-executive-neil-scales-leaves-for-new-transport-job-in-australia-100252-29946641/

It also reveals that he oversaw the corporatisation of Merseytravel Rail and is operation by a South African company.  What might the ALP have in mind for QR?
If he does a good job it will be money well spent.

ozbob

"Miseryrail"   you have to luv the punters .... LOL.  

I am optimistic about Mr Scales, coming from a 15 minute out of peak train frequency environment to this frequency backwater can only be a good thing!

Good evening Mr Scales!   ;)

BrizCommuter

Privatisation if it allows for a leaner and more efficient company!

#Metro

LOL. Maybe it will be QR Connex Wouldn't that be fun!  :-c

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

mufreight

Quote from: BrizCommuter on January 20, 2012, 17:49:06 PM

It would appear that the current Governments intention from day one was for Transl;ink to take full control of the government assets for public transport then sell it off.  This was derailed at the time with the backlash against their previous asset sales but if LABOR under either Bligh or Fraser regain government post election it would be on the cards.  Definately not a nice thought.

SurfRail

Quote from: mufreight on January 20, 2012, 18:30:19 PM

It would appear that the current Governments intention from day one was for Transl;ink to take full control of the government assets for public transport then sell it off.  This was derailed at the time with the backlash against their previous asset sales but if LABOR under either Bligh or Fraser regain government post election it would be on the cards.  Definately not a nice thought.

I truly doubt that.  There is a big difference between selling off "assets" and contracting out the operation of those assets.

As far as I am concerned, TransLink should have control of the entire network - QR's city operations, BCC bus fleet and ferries and closer ties to the private operators.  Transperth functions in this manner and the advantages are very clear.
Ride the G:

mufreight

Quote from: SurfRail on January 20, 2012, 20:49:27 PM

I truly doubt that.  There is a big difference between selling off "assets" and contracting out the operation of those assets.

As far as I am concerned, TransLink should have control of the entire network - QR's city operations, BCC bus fleet and ferries and closer ties to the private operators.  Transperth functions in this manner and the advantages are very clear.

The source was fairly senior in treasury so the information held some credibility.

Derwan

The minister is the public-elected representative who ultimately takes responsibility for what happens in the department (or in this case, the Authority).  They are accountable to the premier and voters.  The CEO's (or Directors General) actually run the departments/authorities.  They are accountable to the minister, not the voters.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

dwb

Quote from: SurfRail on January 20, 2012, 20:49:27 PM

What about the roads and traffic lights?

🡱 🡳