• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Residents fear proposed location of bikeway

Started by ozbob, December 07, 2011, 06:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From the Couriermail Quest click here!

Residents fear proposed location of bikeway

QuoteResidents fear proposed location of bikeway

by: Alana Scott, South-West News
    December 07, 2011 12:01AM

Corinda and Oxley residents say Brisbane City Council is ignoring their concerns about the proposed location of the Oxley Creek Bikeway.

About 80 people turned out for a community meeting chaired by UQ's Professor Peter Spearrett at Corinda Bowls Club on November 16 to vent safety and congestion issues regarding Stage 2 of the project, set for construction next year.

Corinda's Marie Hollingworth said residents were "insulted" no invited Council representatives attended the meeting to hear concerns about Stage 2 which includes a shared cycle and pedestrian pathway from Nosworthy Park through Oxley Creek Common to Brisbane Markets and a shared bridge across Oxley Creek from Nosworthy Park to Oxley Creek Common.

Ms Hollingworth said a bikeway at Nosworthy Park would cause congestion issues and many residents wanted a bridge at the end of Kennard St.

Friends of Oxley Creek Common president Faseny McPhee said putting a bikeway through Oxley Creek Common posed a safety risk to many who used the area including bird watchers.

"Families picnic in that area, there are people with dogs, small children on bicycles and 190 species of birds registered for being on the Common," she said.

Public and Active Transport chairman Cr Julian Simmonds said intensive community consultation was continuing with five different engagement sessions held in the last two weeks.

"Public meetings tend to lend themselves to the loudest voice in the room, whereas we want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to meet with us individually to provide thoughts and share any concerns," Cr Simmonds said.

Cr Nicole Johnston (Tennyson Ward) said she had made a submission to Council on residents' behalf.

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Gazza

Lol,  "congestion".... In suburban streets and on a common.

Gazza

How to be a nimby:

- Complain and oppose everything, even if the only reason is to squalk and make noise.

- When supporting your nimby views, use one (or more) of the following 3 reasons:
a) "It will cause traffic and parking issues"
b) "It will be an eyesore"
c) "It will have safety issues and endanger the lives of children"

-Go to bed at night knowing the world is a better place without a block of townhouses/bike path/bus depot/Islamic school/whatever.

Mr X

d) We don't mind the proposal but don't want the current location (i.e I want the benefits but don't want the impacts from it) , I'm all for people cycling/taking buses/walking/going to xyz
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

colinw

I'm a NNIMBY.

No Nimbies In My Back Yard!!!!!  :pr :pr :pr :pr :pr

BANANAs are even worse - Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything!

Fares_Fair

How many bicycles would you need to make congestion?   :-w

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Set in train

I'll tell you the background of this alarmist article. The local councillor is the former LNP woman who had her membership torn up. She is whipping this up to look like she is doing something for the community.

O_128

Quote from: Set in train on December 09, 2011, 15:28:09 PM
I'll tell you the background of this alarmist article. The local councillor is the former LNP woman who had her membership torn up. She is whipping this up to look like she is doing something for the community.

Yes she's a bit of an odd one. Had a member from the corinda action group come to one of my lectures this semester. He of course drove to UQ, rumble on about how 5 story buildings cause congestion, wants another walter taylor bridge, is agains the indooroopilly centre expansion as he does his shopping online, wants roads duplicated, was against any densification around Corinda station and of course his biggest concern is parking at the station and on the streets.

@Fares_Fare considering these are the kind  of people who don't like people parking on there street I would assume more than 3 bikes per hour is to much. It's quite interesting to look at the demographics of these people, often overweight and an overwhelming number drive compact SUVs.
"Where else but Queensland?"

Mozz

As a postscript to this article, the proposed bikeway project has now been stopped with lots of finger pointing going on between a couple of the local councillors. With the local council elections for the end of March 2011 I suspect nothing will happen now until after the election.

beauyboy

my Aunt is on that group and said how it was a stpid idea but without the plans I could not put up and arguement nor did her arguements make that much sence to me anyway.

Donald
www.space4cyclingbne.com
www.cbdbug.org.au

O_128

Quote from: Mozz on December 26, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
As a postscript to this article, the proposed bikeway project has now been stopped with lots of finger pointing going on between a couple of the local councillors. With the local council elections for the end of March 2011 I suspect nothing will happen now until after the election.

Similar to the north bank proposal, if you complain to much you get nothing at all.
"Where else but Queensland?"

🡱 🡳