• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Golly, yet another Track closure Corinda to Rosewood 2 - 5 Dec 2011

Started by ozbob, November 23, 2011, 06:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1321332450

Corinda to Rosewood track closure

From 8pm Friday 2 December to the last train on Sunday 4 December, tracks between Corinda and Rosewood (including Richlands) will be closed for maintenance and upgrade works.

During this time, buses will replace trains in both directions. Remember to plan your journey well in advance and allow up to 60 minutes for travel.

Trains will return to normal on Monday 5 December.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

23rd November 2011

Yet another track closure Corinda to Rosewood 2 to 5 December 2011

Greetings,

There is yet another track closure on the Ipswich line Corinda to Rosewood, this time from 8pm Friday 2 Dec through till last service Sunday 4th December, http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1321332450

This follows the last recent closure 19th to 21 November Sherwood to Rosewood.

We were informed early this year by Queensland Rail that track closures would be better coordinated, less frequent,  and the pain that has been inflicted on the rail passenger public on the Ipswich line particularly would be eased.  The Ipswich line has had years of constant track closures as the track amplification project between Corinda and Darra occurred, and the branch line to Richlands was constructed.  Additional signalling and track works have also impacted.

It is clearly time to query the management strategy of these constant closures.  Can we afford as a community to have billions of dollars of transport assets constantly shut down, with a less than optimal rail-bus replacement service causing delay, confusion and anger?

Arrangements for ticketing on these replacement bus services is also vague.  This also needs clarification.  Should passengers be forced to pay for delay, confusion and failure?

We can only hope that passengers are not left stranded on platforms as they were during the last closure ( http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=7115.0 ).

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

Mozz

This has to be a joke, seriously yet another track closure on the Ipswich line... as they say in the Princess Bride. "As I told you, it would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable"......

ozbob

Quote from: Mozz on November 23, 2011, 07:51:39 AM
This has to be a joke, seriously yet another track closure on the Ipswich line... as they say in the Princess Bride. "As I told you, it would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable"......

It is a farce Mozz.  There is very little regard for impact on the punters it seems.   Most of this stuff can be done overnight etc. as it has been elsewhere and before.  When they do shut down sort it so they do what has to be done.  

Mrs Ozbob just phoned ex Oxley.  Chaos in her words, misinformation on PIDS and TICs, punters running around to make trains ....  I noticed platforms 1/2 west main stairs has a second go card reader as well.  Only a few years late ....

Our public transport system  is getting worse by the hour ...

HappyTrainGuy

How do you know that it's just a simple overnight job? Translink don't list all the jobs on the work sheet.

ozbob

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on November 23, 2011, 12:51:07 PM
How do you know that it's just a simple overnight job? Translink don't list all the jobs on the work sheet.

How do you know it is isn't?

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on November 23, 2011, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on November 23, 2011, 12:51:07 PM

How do you know it is isn't?

Time they actually lived up to their committment to reduce the frequency of the closures.

Flop mate ...

Guess there is a lot of neglect to catch up on then?   Or is it incompetent maintenance planning? You seem to know the answers HTG, share them with the struggling the punters, QR doesn't care much too ...

HappyTrainGuy

I'm not having a go or anything but from past experience reading what translink lists as 'minor' station works, sleeper replacment and overhead works was actually having heavy machinery at stations for 20 straight hours replacing every wooden sleeper, adding/removing ballast, work at the local substation, retensioning the wires and inspecting every transformer in that section on the line. And that has been the case multiple times.

Cam

I realise that this particular closure will not allow repair of the inbound mains line approaching Taringa but there have been several weekend closures this year that would have allowed this section to be repaired. Does anyone know what the problem is & why it hasn't been repaired in one of the weekend track closures?

ozbob

Quote from: Cam on November 23, 2011, 13:46:56 PM
I realise that this particular closure will not allow repair of the inbound mains line approaching Taringa but there have been several weekend closures this year that would have allowed this section to be repaired. Does anyone know what the problem is & why it hasn't been repaired in one of the weekend track closures?

You know I tweeted Queensland Rail once saying when will the speed restriction coming into Taringa on the main down will be fixed up?  They said there are no speed restrictions ...

I just let it be  and concentrated on getting photographs of the speed boards ...

:o

ozbob

I think the frequent closures are actually related to the Ipswich 'Car-Park' Congestion Corridor roadworks and highway upgrade.  An upgrade which is just moving congestion choke points around.

OK, so Queensland Rail are doing tasks which do appear not to actually warrant a closure, but are taking the opportunity to do maintenance etc. whilst the closure is done for highway purposes.

I think that is a bit closer to reality ...

colinw

CityTrain reminds me increasingly of CityRail in the early 2000s, in all respects except service frequency.

Incessant weekend closures.
Bus substitution shambles.
Timetables getting slower by the year.
Seemingly permanent TSRS (actually I think CityRail are better in that regard - network has improved in recent years).
Apparent "silo mentality" and lack of respect for the passengers, ahem, *customers*.

I used to prefer Brisbane's rail system over Sydney hands down.  Can't say that is the case any more.

Although CityRail do manage to get me with Illawarra / South Coast line shutdowns seemingly every 2nd time I go there. I have yet to go to the tramway museum at Loftus and actually arrive there by train rather than substitute bus.

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on November 23, 2011, 06:35:58 AM
We were informed early this year by Queensland Rail that track closures would be better coordinated, less frequent,  and the pain that has been inflicted on the rail passenger public on the Ipswich line particularly would be eased.  The Ipswich line has had years of constant track closures as the track amplification project between Corinda and Darra occurred, and the branch line to Richlands was constructed.  Additional signalling and track works have also impacted.

It is clearly time to query the management strategy of these constant closures.  Can we afford as a community to have billions of dollars of transport assets constantly shut down, with a less than optimal rail-bus replacement service causing delay, confusion and anger?

Great work Bob! I find it baffling too. Weekend rail services on the Ipswich line seem to be an optional extra.

Dinner at Corinda last weekend, the rail buses were flying past, appeared very frequent and the speed of them, wow, flying down Oxley Rd.

Think I will take a free trip to see what they're like.

ozbob

ozbob

Staff present at Goodna.  Riverview was deserted, although the minibus dropped off a pax.

Footbridge at Goodna is closed for final works.

Goodna

Riverview

Photographs R Dow 3rd December 2011

ELAINE

Ipswich  line  will  be  closures  on  christmas day  and boxing day :-[ :-[

ozbob

Quote from: ELAINE on December 03, 2011, 11:45:13 AM
Ipswich  line  will  be  closures  on  christmas day  and boxing day :-[ :-[

Yes, closure 24 - 27 December (Darra - Rosewood), they are MAD ....

ozbob

The other thing at Goodna was that the signs were positioned a lot better on the platform.  Much more obvious and adjacent to go card readers as well.

This means that they are less likely to be missed.  I suppose the test will be tomorrow morning, will there be pax sitting on the platform waiting for the train?   :o

There was not much local publicity on the footbridge closure though.  This bridge is a major thoroughfare for the local community as well, besides railway/bus pax.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

4th December 2011

Ipswich - Rosewood railway line grief is building ...

Greetings,

Concerns are building re the constant track closures on the Ipswich - Rosewood railway.

This weekend there is a yet another closure Corinda <-> Rosewood,  with  more to come this month.  A major track closure is planned 24th to 27th December, with another in January 2012.

It is believed that work for Redbank stabling - commissioning, will be undertaken during the late December closure.  How about telling people what is actually going on?

Despite assurances that closures would be less frequent, the Ipswich - Rosewood line will have 3 major closures in 7 weeks!  The public is becoming very upset.

The bus replacement services add hours to the journey time in many cases.  Will the December closure be properly resourced with adequate numbers of buses?  I fear not.

TransLink also needs to clarify the ticketing situation on the replacement rail buses.  Confusion reigns ....

Where are the improved conditions of use of the Go card?

Recent polling has suggested that Ipswich, former Labor heartland will suffer massive swings away from Labor in the forthcoming state election.  The situation along the Ipswich line is similar to what happened in Victoria, with respect to the Frankston line.  It was the government changer in the recent Victorian election.

We have highlighted the issues --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=6576.msg77712#msg77712.

Only fools pretend all is well.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

Called into Goodna rail to have a look around.  Early (around 6.15am) only one pax waiting for bus at the rail bus stop.  No pax on the platform.

Signage is  much improved, so some notice was taken of our feedback, thanks.  Signs positioned so they can be seen, and the sign next to station office large poster size.

A couple of further constructive suggestions.  A sign on the approach to the subway from the highway side would be useful, particularly this weekend as the foot bridge is shut down.

A sign on the lift, both for the track closure and importantly for the footbridge shutdown should be available.  There are only a couple of small signs right where access is stopped to the footbridge up above ground level on the bridge itself.  This is an Origin Alliance matter (footbridge) more so than TransLink, but authorities need to coordinate better.

HIghway side subway access .. no signs ..

Track closure sign now positioned so obvious to pax climbing the stairs

Large track closure sign on notice board

Signs could be placed here as well, up front as pax go to the lift

Photographs R Dow 4th December 2011

ozbob

Checked out Goodna around 9.30am, no pax waiting on the platform this time.  So improved sign positioning has worked.

Went down to Redbank as well to have a look.  Queensland Rail staff present including some CSOs who appear to be travelling around in motor vehicle.

Set in train

Quote from: ozbob on December 04, 2011, 04:02:23 AM
Recent polling has suggested that Ipswich, former Labor heartland will suffer massive swings away from Labor in the forthcoming state election.  The situation along the Ipswich line is similar to what happened in Victoria, with respect to the Frankston line.  It was the government changer in the recent Victorian election.

We have highlighted the issues --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=6576.msg77712#msg77712.

Only fools pretend all is well.

Go Bob! Them's fighting words  :-t I certainly hope these pars draw editorial attention that train shutdowns and generally poor PT conditions could be an election issue.

ozbob

This afternoon, I walked down Queen St, till the round-about-circus beneath the 'god' (the Ipswich Highway car park), and attempted to access Goodna rail. Hey folks, I am a retired army soldier, I am reasonably fit, physically and mentally (though some might doubt that .. lol), there would have been a lot of difficulty accessing Goodna rail station if I was either a: pregnant with babes in prams, or, b: perhaps older and not that mobile.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times 6th December 2011 page 10

Trains out of action for service operations

ozbob

QT Comment 6th December 2011.  Obviously, the QT is getting a bit of feedback ..

City deserves better service from TransLink

ozbob

TransLink are reviewing all aspects of track closures and the replacement bus services.  They assumed operational control for the scheduled closures/bus replacements from 1 Dec 2011.

I expect some novel bus routing ideas to implemented in time.  Also an official clarification of ticketing can be expected.

Golliwog

http://translink.com.au/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/media-releases/release/439

Motorway upgrade allows train line works
Monday 5 December 2011

Train customers should be aware of several closures of the Ipswich/Rosewood train line in coming months due to ongoing work on the western rail and road corridor.

TransLink Acting CEO Matt Longland said buses would run instead of trains during the track closures and customers should allow an extra 30 to 60 minutes to travel during the closures.

"Much of the Queensland Rail maintenance work is being done while the tracks are closed for the Ipswich Motorway roadworks," Mr Longland said.

"Other work includes upgrades to the main overhead power supply at Roma Street station and commissioning of train stabling yards.

"All other train lines will maintain Queensland Rail's quarterly maintenance schedule."

The upcoming Ipswich/Rosewood line track closures between now and Easter include:

Roma Street to Corinda stations – from 9pm until last train on Tuesday, December 6
    Darra to Rosewood stations (including Richlands) – Saturday, December 24 to Tuesday, December 27, 2011
    Corinda to Rosewood stations (including Richlands) – from 8pm Friday, January 20 to Sunday, January 22, 2012
    Corinda to Rosewood stations (including Richlands) – from 8pm, Friday, February 24 to Sunday, February 26, 2012
    Roma Street to Corinda stations – from 9pm until last train on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
    Roma Street to Corinda stations – from 9pm until last train on Wednesday, March 7, 2012
    Corinda to Rosewood (including Richlands) stations – Saturday, March 10 – Sunday, March 11, 2012
    Corinda to Rosewood (including Richlands) stations – Saturday, April 14 to Sunday, April 15, 2012.

Some of the works being undertaken include:

track work at various points between Darra and Rosewood
    commissioning of train stabling yards
    station work and maintenance at Corinda, Redbank and Richlands
    overhead power line and general maintenance.

For more information on public transport, visit the TransLink website www.translink.com.au or phone 13 12 30, anytime.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

colinw

Quote from: Golliwog on December 06, 2011, 13:46:29 PM

track work at various points between Darra and Rosewood
    commissioning of train stabling yards
    station work and maintenance at Corinda, Redbank and Richlands
    overhead power line and general maintenance.

How about stringing up the missing bit of overhead wire between Corinda & Darra while they are at it?  :pr :pr :hc

🡱 🡳