Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: Article: Alderley residents to petition the State Government over bridge closure  (Read 2160 times)

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
From the Couriermail Quest click here!

Alderley residents to petition the State Government over bridge closure

Alderley residents to petition the State Government over bridge closure

by: Allira Preece, North-West News

More than 300 northwest residents will take a stand against the closure of Alderley's Frederick St next week.

A signed petition will be presented to the State Government in favour of reopening the bridge to cars after Queensland Rail (QR) closed the bridge for safety reasons in September.

Brisbane City Councillor Andrew Wines, who started the petition in August, said most people wanted the bridge upgraded and reopened, and wanted an explanation as to why the bridge was closed in the first place.

But Queensland Rail acting general manager network SEQ, Rory MacManus, said the bridge was not designed for current permissible road loads.

"An inspection in September 2011 showed the Frederick St bridge's timber had deteriorated significantly since the previous inspection, and steps were taken to close the bridge immediately in the interests of public safety."

Alderley resident Geoff Kleeman, who assisted in gathering more than 150 signatures for the petition, said the majority of residents were inconvenienced by the bridge's closure.

But Mr MacManus said there were no plans to rebuild the bridge.

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline SurfRail

• Global Moderator
But Mr MacManus said there were no plans to rebuild the bridge.

I though there was a tender awarded (or at least notified) for the reconstruction of the bridge?
I am no longer using this forum.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

• My train... My people... My money!
Repairs IIRC.
"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

Offline p858snake

Really? This is like two streets away from the other bridge <Google Map>, I wonder how much of a delay there is for residents that actually use it?

Offline #Metro

• DON'T SIGN! DON'T RENEW!!
Just convert it to a bicycle and walking bridge. ! LOL!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline Mr X

Then they'd complain "why can't my car go down there"  ::)
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Offline Golliwog

IIRC, the one they closed is only closed to cars so can be used for bike and cyclists. I think they just put up bollards to stop vehicles driving across. The other bridge had load limits put in place at the same time.
There is no silver bullet… but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Gazza

We have wooden rail car overpasses? Awesome! Never even knew this existed.

Offline p858snake

This is Queensland! nothing but road transport matters!

Offline Golliwog

IIRC, the one they closed is only closed to cars so can be used for bike and cyclists. I think they just put up bollards to stop vehicles driving across. The other bridge had load limits put in place at the same time.

Woops, paid a little more attention when going through on the train this morning, not bollards blocking it off, just those fluro crash barriers you get at construction sites.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline HappyTrainGuy

• My train... My people... My money!
IIRC the bridge closer to Alderley has a weight imposed limit on it of 4-5t.
"What housing crisis?? There are plenty of free mobile apartments rolling around on the rails every day"

Offline Golliwog

IIRC the bridge closer to Alderley has a weight imposed limit on it of 4-5t.

That rings a bell. One of the commercial interests nearby had a whinge in the NW News a while ago about it as they now have to go the long way around.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan