• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Electric buses - Zero Emission

Started by ozbob, October 29, 2011, 04:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbatim9

^^The ebusco looks good. It's not the top rated but the overall design and range is impressive.

verbatim9

The Ab Volvo 7900 would be good for Brisbane. It's articulated and supports flash overhead charging.

Thanks to Bne Metro, we will have flash charging on hand, to roll out such a bus on our urban network.

verbatim9

I trialled the electric bus on route 40 today @ 14:55 Monday August, 23. Bus E6001

Pros - Quiet ride,  Very clean, adjustable vents, no diesel or other fuel emissions , bus only 1/3 full, Bus driver fully enclosed in driver cab.

Cons - Late running , exterior display read 'not in service'' on approach, internal PID out of order, reduced legroom on all seats, cross bar above centre door leading to reduced clearance when entering and exit the vehicle, airflow and ventilation poor onboard, driver change over on Alice street took over 5 mins, driver was not able to log on leading to alarms beeping, bus still displayed 'not in service' after completing the loop, as well as PID being 'not in service', Low floor - front section of the bus only, rear door boarding only despite bus driver being fully enclosed and not needing to interact with passengers.

Overall rating 5.5 out of 10.

Gazza

Is the bar in the rear door to make it so you get two flows of passengers exiting simultaneously, reducing dwell?

verbatim9

Quote from: Gazza on August 23, 2021, 17:06:07 PM
Is the bar in the rear door to make it so you get two flows of passengers exiting simultaneously, reducing dwell?

No, there is no vertical bar but a horizontal one, limiting head clearance. I did mention there is no reduction in dwell times, due to the front door being unnecessarily closed. The driver is pretty much fully protected due to the plastic barrier, masks and no interaction with boarding and disembarking passengers. 

ozbob

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/93031

QLD-built electric buses to boost jobs from Burleigh to North Lakes
24th August 2021

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey

The Palaszczuk Government's commitment to rollout more zero emissions vehicles on to Queensland roads has been supercharged with a plan to build 16 new electric buses on the Gold Coast.

The $15.6 million deal with Keolis Downer will also create the state's first 100 per cent electric bus depot in North Lakes at the home of Hornibrook Bus Lines.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the deal signed this month would play an important part in Queensland's Covid-19 economic recovery plan.

"This deal will see the largest rollout of electric buses in Queensland to date," Mr Bailey said.

"These buses will be built right here in Queensland, at BusTech on the Gold Coast.

"The Palaszczuk Government has made a commitment that by 2025 every new urban bus we add to the fleet in SEQ will be zero-emissions, by 2030 we'll roll that out to the rest of the urban fleet - and of course we want them to be built here in Queensland.

"This agreement gives us a good head start because the first bus is due to arrive at Hornibrook's North Lakes depot by the end of next year."

Deputy Premier and Member for Murrumba Steven Miles said the agreement was a win for local commuters.

"Hornibrook Bus Lines runs bus services through our northern suburbs like North Lakes, Chermside, Mango Hill, Kallangur and Sandgate, so I can't wait to see these quieter and cleaner vehicles on our roads," Mr Miles said.

"This isn't just a good deal for commuters and our environment, it's a boost to our state's manufacturing sector too.

"The investment to make the North Lakes depot fully electric and build these buses on the Gold Coast is expected to support 150 jobs over the next two years.

"It's also expected to bring more than $17 million of estimated value into the economy for local suppliers, contractors, which is the kind of investment we need right now."

Assistant Minister for Hydrogen Development and the 50% Renewable Energy by 2030 Target Lance McCallum said the electric bus rollout was a key part of the Palaszczuk Government's renewable energy commitments.

"By 2030, 50 per cent of our state's energy will be from renewable sources and this deal with Keolis Downer will play its role in helping Queensland meet that target," Mr McCallum said.

"While this depot and locally built buses will be electric, we are also keen to encourage the use of renewable hydrogen in transport.

"Our investment in renewable hydrogen production as a cleaner, cheaper fuel gives us potential to create jobs, reduce transport emissions and export Queensland's renewables to the world.

"We want to continue to position Queensland to take advantage of emerging technologies and mobility options."

Member for Bancroft Chris Whiting congratulated Keolis Downer, which owns Hornibrook Bus Lines, on the zero-emissions initiative.

"Reducing emissions in our transport sector is a major challenge, and we can only be successful through partnerships between government and industry like this one," Mr Whiting said.

"Once completed, Hornibrook's North Lakes depot will no longer house diesel buses and will be home to the 16 new electric buses exclusively.

"A full electric depot means reduced noise and no diesel emissions for our community.

"That will save 13,846 tons of carbon emissions over the life of the buses."

Member for Kurwongbah Shane King said he welcomed electric vehicles moving people around his electorate.

"Hornibrook Bus Lines delivers key services to Petrie Station and the surrounding areas, and I can't wait to see them go electric," Mr Kind said.

"When passengers jump on these buses for the first time next year, they'll be helping to improve the environment, while getting a cleaner, smoother ride.

"This rollout will also create more jobs for the area, and support local suppliers and contractors, driving our economic recovery from COVID-19."

Keolis Downer CEO David Franks said it was a significant moment for the business in Queensland.

"We are proud to be partnering with the Queensland Government to transition our North Lakes depot to 100 per cent battery electric buses," Mr Franks said.

"This means the depot will be using 100 per cent renewable energy, to power a fleet of electric buses, making it a first in Australia, and cementing Keolis Downer's commitment to accelerate the energy transition with large-scale deployments in public transport.

"With this project, we are also encouraging local manufacturing through our partnership with BusTech Group, Australia's leading bus manufacturer, based in Burleigh Heads.

"BusTech Queensland will manufacture the 16 Australian-designed and engineered electric buses in their facility in the Gold Coast, bringing more than $17 million of estimated value into the economy for local suppliers, contractors and local job creation."

BusTech Group Executive Chairman Christian Reynolds said the company was excited to be involved in the project.

"BusTech Group is delighted to partner with Keolis Downer to deliver Australian designed, engineered and manufactured zero-emission buses with the most energy dense battery solution," Mr Reynolds said.

"Manufactured in Queensland, BusTech's all-electric ZDi is built with the highest local content of any electric bus available on the Australian market.

"These 16 new electric buses will provide Queensland with cleaner, quieter transport whilst also supporting employment opportunities, the local supply chain, the renewables industry and generating lasting economic benefits."

The new buses, which will use 100 per cent renewable energy and be zero emission, will be built on the Gold Coast by Queensland bus manufacturer BusTech.

The first bus is due to arrive at the North Lakes depot in September 2022, ahead of all 16 being ready for service by late 2023.

ENDS
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

verbatim9

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 23, 2021, 16:10:25 PM
I trialled the electric bus on route 40 today @ 14:55 Monday August, 23. Bus E6001

Pros - Quiet ride,  Very clean, adjustable vents, no diesel or other fuel emissions , bus only 1/3 full, Bus driver fully enclosed in driver cab.

Cons - Late running , exterior display read 'not in service'' on approach, internal PID out of order, reduced legroom on all seats, cross bar above centre door leading to reduced clearance when entering and exit the vehicle, airflow and ventilation poor onboard, driver change over on Alice street took over 5 mins, driver was not able to log on leading to alarms beeping, bus still displayed 'not in service' after completing the loop, as well as PID being 'not in service', Low floor - front section of the bus only, rear door boarding only despite bus driver being fully enclosed and not needing to interact with passengers.

Overall rating 5.5 out of 10.

Just to add, while I didn't really give a review on the bus mechanics and performance. I can rightly state that the score is from first impressions and first ride basis. If the PID was working and the driver change over was quick I would of given it a 6.5 out of 10.

Gazza

How would you rate it purley on the mechanics of the bus alone.

Things like the broken PID and late driver are not Electric Bus specific.

verbatim9

Quote from: Gazza on August 25, 2021, 14:04:03 PM

^°Go out and do your own review

Fares_Fair

I can report that electric buses will not be seen on the Sunshine Coast doing the Buderim route as the they cannot sustain themselves up the hill.

Kinetic Group, the owners of Sunbus, Surfside Buslines and Skybus among others - have a financial interest in an Adelaide based, environmentally friendly diesel and electric bus manufacturing company; Precision Components, of Beverley SA 5009.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

SurfRail

^ That strikes me as unlikely FF.  Electrics should in fact find hills much easier than ICE vehicles given you just apply the power and the thing goes - no gearing/rev/torque issues to affect performance.
Ride the G:

Gazza

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 25, 2021, 14:08:44 PM
Quote from: Gazza on August 25, 2021, 14:04:03 PM

^°Go out and do your own review
I can't at the moment, that's why I was asking you....

How would you rate the bus alone?

Fares_Fair

Industry insider told me so. Not enough electric power to last a day.
It's a pretty steep climb.

Quote from: SurfRail on August 26, 2021, 07:41:33 AM
^ That strikes me as unlikely FF.  Electrics should in fact find hills much easier than ICE vehicles given you just apply the power and the thing goes - no gearing/rev/torque issues to affect performance.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

verbatim9

Quote from: Fares_Fair on August 26, 2021, 20:49:41 PM
Industry insider told me so. Not enough electric power to last a day.
It's a pretty steep climb.

Quote from: SurfRail on August 26, 2021, 07:41:33 AM
Hopefully the next generation of buses being released over the next year or so might change things?

ozbob

ozbob

Moreton Daily --> State's first all-electric bus depot rolls in to North Lakes

QuoteNorth Lakes will be home to Queensland's first 100 percent electric bus depot as the State Government super-charges its plan to deliver more zero-emission vehicles.

The government has announced it will build 16 new electric buses on the Gold Coast under a $15.6 million deal with Keolis Downer.

In an Australian first, the all-electric bus depot, using 100 per cent renewable energy, will be based at Hornibrook Bus Lines at North Lakes.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey says the deal signed will play an important part in Queensland's Covid-19 economic recovery plan.

"This deal will see the largest rollout of electric buses in Queensland to date," Mr Bailey says.

"The Palaszczuk Government has made a commitment that by 2025 every new urban bus we add to the fleet in SEQ will be zero-emissions, by 2030 we'll roll that out to the rest of the urban fleet. ...

ozbob

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1439961296632365063

====

Couriermail --> Bus builder Volgren to boost workers at Brisbane factory $

QuoteAustralia's largest bus builder plans to double its Queensland workforce as it taps growing demand for electric vehicles.

Melbourne-based Volgren, which has built Brisbane City Council's fleet of buses for more than a decade, will lift the number of employees at its Eagle Farm factory to close to 100 as it positions itself as a manufacturer of e-buses.

The commitment by Volgren follows a period of uncertainty for the company after it delivered its final bus to Brisbane City Council this year under a long-standing contract that will now be the subject of a competitive tender.

The company is expected to take part in the tender that will incorporate zero emission options, such as electric and hydrogen technology.

Founded in 1977 as a joint venture between Sweden's Volvo and Melbourne busline Grenda, the company became a subsidiary of Brazil's Marcopolo in 2012.

Volgren chief executive Thiago Deiro said the investment in the Queensland factory would secure the future of 45 staff and a local supply chain of more than 20 local businesses. ...

verbatim9

It's good that Volgren is accelerating it's electric bus manufacturing capabilities.

verbatim9

I caught the electric bus again the other day, Route 40. This time the PID was working, as well as the A/C

I took the following videos

Firstly going down Wharf St and Eagle St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9F4ihU7jYjdTo54z9

Secondly up Alice St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LWBfnoWs3vFrJ9zs7

Thirdly  George Street near Queen St

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nP96YsXuiydGToz7A

The videos are meant to demonstrate the workings of the PID mostly.

Highlights

-Female voiceover

-Indicates points of interests

-Indicates the stop, as well as other services to transfer to and the perspective waiting times for that transfer service

Gazza

That waiting time thing is genius.
For any stop ID you can get the next departing services from the GTFS so this can be shown anywhere, including on trains and trams.
They just need  to fine tune it so each one is paired with a relevant outbound stop too.

verbatim9

Yeah it's a good feature, hopefully it will be rolled out on all buses statewide from next year?

verbatim9

verbatim9

^^IIf Brisbane City Council and TMR  took an order of those Volvo ebuses in the mix? , They could.utlise the new overhead charging infrastructure, which is currently being installed for Metro.

Gazza

Im not sure. I thought the Metro stuff was designed for operation on the busway, because the HESS vehicles won't stray from the busway or the new Rochedale Depot so dont need as much range.

But because other routes spend more time out in suburbia it might be harder to get them back to the busway when needed for top ups.
So they will probably charge at the regular BCC depots.

verbatim9

But they are rolling out the infrastructure with already chosen energy partners. By having rapid overhead charge points at end of bus runs like Moggill, Parkinson and Browns Plains as well as others, will help keep buses on the road for longer.

It will also allow for a diverse electric bus fleet. BCC and TMR should go for 3 electric bus suppliers. This will comply with competition law as well as provide better value for Government band the tax payer instead of choosing one bus supplier.

Apparently the two charging methods for  eBuses are OppCharge high-power charging and CCS charging sockets.

Brisbane is unique by having both. Other cities around Australia are just going for CCS, but should also opt for OppCharge high-power charging.

We need OppCharge high-power charging for regular articulated eBuses anyway as they need more power to run.

ozbob

verbatim9

Does anyone know what routes or depot these Custom Denning electric buses will be located at?

Source: Brisbane Public Transport thread Skyscrapercity

verbatim9

They seem to have a better seat layout than the ones currently running on the inner city loop.

verbatim9

https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=10036.msg252880.msg#252880

At least NSW has a plan to electrify their total bus fleet by 2032. Where is Queensland's plan?

@ TMR @ Translink @ Brisbane City

Cazza

Creating Better Connections says no new diesel buses bought in QLD after 2025 (2030 for rural areas). As our group submission said, we could really stop buying diesel buses tomorrow given the huge advances in technology that's happened over the past few years alone. The Custom Element (as above) is one I've really liked the look of (albeit never seen or been on in person). It's a shame that Australia still hasn't figured out that it is actually legal to have three sets of doors on a standard rigid bus (the fully low floor still seems to be something just out of reach too). BNE has electric buses for years so it's not like they are new technology to begin with.

verbatim9

Quote from: Cazza on November 20, 2021, 12:47:37 PM
Creating Better Connections says no new diesel buses bought in QLD after 2025 (2030 for rural areas). As our group submission said, we could really stop buying diesel buses tomorrow given the huge advances in technology that's happened over the past few years alone. The Custom Element (as above) is one I've really liked the look of (albeit never seen or been on in person). BNE has electric buses for years so it's not like they are new technology to begin with.
Yes, I did read that in Creating Better Connections. But it doesn't really provide a real goal to have the whole bus fleet electrified to showcase the world in time for the 2032 Olympics.

verbatim9

New Volvo articulated electric bus

https://youtu.be/ls9o4BTBkKU

These will be good buses replace traditional diesel articulated buses in  Brisbane and Seq.

TMR and BCC need to consider these. They have pantograph charging capabilities in which Brisbane is currently installing for Bne Metro.

https://landtransportguru.net/volvo-7900-electric/

ozbob

Ari 🚋

Quote from: verbatim9 on November 27, 2021, 12:36:20 PMThey have pantograph charging capabilities in which Brisbane is currently installing for Bne Metro.

I know I'm responding to a 4 month old post, but is this actually the case? I've heard nothing about it but I've been thinking that pantographs would be better than battery to myself for the whole time
The best time to break car dependence was 30 years ago. The second best time is now.

Cazza

There are a couple of charging facilities at the Countess St layover that have been there for a few months now.

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-and-transport/public-transport/brisbane-metro/brisbane-metro-project-news/brisbane-metro-construction-updates#count

There's no written section on it, but note the "end of trip charging facilities" section.

ozbob

ABC News --> Electric buses to be rolled out in Queensland as Australian-first bus depot opens on Gold Coast

QuoteAustralia's first 100 per cent electric bus depot will open its doors on the Gold Coast today.

Key points:

An Australian-first electric bus depot will open in Currumbin, on the Gold Coast
There are 30 new eco-buses set to hit Queensland roads
Of the new buses, 10 will be built locally

The new electric bus depot in Currumbin will be completely powered by renewable energy, including a 56-kilowatt solar panel array.

The depot is expected to house 14 electric buses, including some that will travel the 777 route from the Gold Coast Airport to Coolangatta.

It comes as 30 new electric buses will be hitting Queensland's roads from next month, with a local company heading up one-third of the construction. ...

verbatim9

How do they get the buses up to Cairns? By ship or on a train?

verbatim9

Be good to see more of these out and about. Does this mean the 555 will go electric over the coming months?

I believe these buses are also fitted with the new internal next stop information passenger information displays.

ozbob

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/94952

A one-way ticket to low-emissions public transport
13th April 2022

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey

The Palaszczuk Government is driving Queensland's low-emissions transport future with 30 new electric buses hitting the road and Australia's first 100 per cent electric bus depot now open.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said it builds on the Palaszczuk Government's recently released Zero Emissions Vehicle strategy.

"We've made a commitment that every new bus in South East Queensland would be zero emission from 2025, so to see it happening now is a fantastic achievement," Mr Bailey said.

"That commitment expands to our regions between 2025 and 2030.

"Electric buses are better for the environment and mean people will be breathing in fresher, cleaner air when they are walking around.

"We've had some electric buses in SEQ since April last year, and now we'll have an extra 30 hitting the road across Cairns, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Logan."

Gold Coast based Environment Minister Meaghan Scanlon said she was excited to see her city become home to Australia's first all-electric bus depot.

"The Currumbin depot will be powered completely by renewable energy including a 56kW solar panel array," Ms Scanlon said.

"Having an emissions free bus depot here on the Gold Coast is fantastic not only for our local environment, but all of Queensland.

"Transport is the second biggest emitter in Queensland but is rapidly evolving to embrace zero emissions technology.

"The depot will eventually be home to 14 electric buses, some of which will service the 777-route connecting the Gold Coast Airport in Coolangatta with the heart of the city, meaning this will be the first impression tourists have when they touch down in Queensland.

"This is huge also for our Queensland Climate Action Plan. Our research shows each electric bus could save as much as 1,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases over its lifespan and deliver many community benefits with less noise and harmful air pollution.

"Queensland is seizing the opportunities to act on climate change, create jobs and set Queensland in a nation-leading position for the future.

"I'm sure customers across Queensland will enjoy riding on the new buses knowing that the project is playing an important role in the future of public transport in this state."

Kinetic-owned Sunbus will introduce five new buses each on the Sunshine Coast and Cairns from early May and June respectively, while sister company Surfside Buslines will launch 10 new electric buses on the Gold Coast from late June.

Gold Coast bus manufacturer BusTech is continuing the build of 10 electric buses for Clarks Logan City, which are due to commence services in Logan in June.

Kinetic Co-CEO Adam Begg said Kinetic was excited to partner with Translink to enhance the public transport experience and make bus travel greener and cleaner.

"This year alone we'll be introducing 20 zero emission buses to Queensland roads across Cairns, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast," Mr Begg said.

"We congratulate the Queensland Government on its leadership transitioning bus networks to greener, cleaner technologies and we're proud to bring to the table our experience operating zero emissions buses in other major cities including in Auckland, Christchurch and soon in Melbourne."

Clarks Logan City Director Reg Clark said he was looking forward to adding the electric buses to the business' fleet.

"We are very excited to see the reaction of the community to not only a zero-emission fleet but also to how the fleet will perform," Mr Clark said.

"The opportunities this project is providing, not just from a new technology perspective but also the new skill sets we will be embracing, is beyond exciting and will further embed Logan as a community of choice.

"With the locally-acquired Tritium charger installation complete and the buses in build down the road at BusTech, this project really ticks all the boxes from a local supply chain perspective."

Sixteen new Hornibrook Bus Lines electric buses, as well as two bioethanol-fuelled buses bound for a 12-month trial in Mackay, are also scheduled to arrive on the network later this year.

ENDS

🡱 🡳