• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Electric buses - Zero Emission

Started by ozbob, October 29, 2011, 04:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cazza

I believe that could have been one of the reasons BCC chose not renew the contract with Volgren. From what I have read and understand (albeit, at quite a limited level), Volgren's hybrid and/or electric vehicles building "capabilities" (for want of a better word) and technology isn't as strong as some overseas manufacturers (for example). This then gives BCC more flexibility in the range of builders they can choose from when it comes to electric buses and buy from those with more experience and better quality. That's how I see it anyway, I'm sure there's much more to it...

verbatim9

verbatim9

^^New! Custom Dennings electric commuter bus built in NSW. - Range 500km, Stainless steel light frame.

This bus is being rolled out along with other electric bus makers in NSW. It will also be exported to other countries.

SurfRail

Quote from: Cazza on March 03, 2021, 11:54:56 AM
I believe that could have been one of the reasons BCC chose not renew the contract with Volgren. From what I have read and understand (albeit, at quite a limited level), Volgren's hybrid and/or electric vehicles building "capabilities" (for want of a better word) and technology isn't as strong as some overseas manufacturers (for example). This then gives BCC more flexibility in the range of builders they can choose from when it comes to electric buses and buy from those with more experience and better quality. That's how I see it anyway, I'm sure there's much more to it...

Personally I think it's ridiculous that they needed to partner with a manufacturer in the first place.  Just purchase the things at competitive prices like everybody else does.
Ride the G:

achiruel

Quote from: verbatim9 on March 26, 2021, 10:26:51 AM
^^New! Custom Dennings electric commuter bus built in NSW. - Range 500km, Stainless steel light frame.

This bus is being rolled out along with other electric bus makers in NSW. It will also be exported to other countries.

500km range? No excuses TransLink! All new bus purchases must be electric ASAP.

verbatim9

A Custom Dennings e-bus is in transit at this moment for a Brisbane delivery..

verbatim9

Brisbane Times----> The future, now': Solar-powered bus takes first passengers

QuoteAn electric bus that runs completely on solar-generated power hit the streets of Brisbane on Monday after impressive performance in trials.

Transport company Transdev contributed about 100 buses to TransLink's fleet and, in September last year, started trialling the new bus that runs on batteries charged by stored solar power.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

verbatim9

Someone has managed to spot an electric bus going around the Brisbane streets. It seems to be in testing and not in service at the moment.

Link below-

https://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1077357#p1077357

ozbob

achiruel

^ Did they mean rapt? I'm guessing a command of the English language isn't a requirement to work in social media for TransLink, although it probably should be.

tazzer9

Quote from: achiruel on April 27, 2021, 11:50:00 AM
^ Did they mean rapt? I'm guessing a command of the English language isn't a requirement to work in social media for TransLink, although it probably should be.

The bus is wrapped. 

verbatim9

It looks like there is an LED panel inside the bus. I wonder if they are testing onboard next stop information?

ozbob

Couriermail --> Brisbane's China-built electric bus fleet a 'disgrace' $

QuoteBrisbane's first electric buses have arrived – but the council's decision to source them from China rather than using local manufacturers has been labelled a "disgrace".

Chinese bus manufacturer Yutong – the world's largest – was awarded a $3 million contract late last year to trial electric buses on the free City Loop bus route.

The buses have now arrived and Australian Manufacturing Workers Union assistant state secretary Bill Thanas said the Queensland economy missed out when council didn't give the job to Volgren, which had been building the council's diesel buses in Australia since 2008, or Bustech who is locally building 10 electric buses for the Queensland government.

"It's disappointing," Mr Thanas said. ...

verbatim9

^^It's good that they will be in service soon.

#Metro

Nothing disgraceful about it.

Did they really think that they would win a tender without applying for it?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

verbatim9

Brisbane Times----> Electric buses to begin trial in Brisbane CBD from mid-June

The trial will consist of 4 buses on route 40 and 50. It will include onboard phone charging and onboard next stop announcements (audio and visual). 

SurfRail

AV announcements is not a "first", they were trialled on the Cityglider fleet and on Clarks services nearly 10 years ago.
Ride the G:

verbatim9

Grace Grace MP

QuoteI'm excited to announce that if re-elected I will deliver a $2 million 2 year trial for electric buses to run on the Spring Hill Loop.

This will include new services on weekends & an extended after-hours timetable

In 2008 I delivered the Spring Hill Loop free service for our local community which has been an important link for students, workers & locals in their everyday lives.

Rolling out more electric buses on Queensland's roads is part of Labor's commitment to supporting a faster take up of low-emission vehicles.

We are committed to transitioning public transport to cleaner, low-emission technologies, & trials like this will help us do that more quickly.

Our plan is for all new buses in southeast Queensland to be zero-emission buses from 2025, & the information we get from the Spring Hill trial will help us towards that goal.
#publictransport #community #lowemissions

^^Is this still happening?

achiruel

Quote from: verbatim9 on May 26, 2021, 15:15:04 PM
Grace Grace MP

QuoteI'm excited to announce that if re-elected I will deliver a $2 million 2 year trial for electric buses to run on the Spring Hill Loop.

This will include new services on weekends & an extended after-hours timetable

In 2008 I delivered the Spring Hill Loop free service for our local community which has been an important link for students, workers & locals in their everyday lives.

Rolling out more electric buses on Queensland's roads is part of Labor's commitment to supporting a faster take up of low-emission vehicles.

We are committed to transitioning public transport to cleaner, low-emission technologies, & trials like this will help us do that more quickly.

Our plan is for all new buses in southeast Queensland to be zero-emission buses from 2025, & the information we get from the Spring Hill trial will help us towards that goal.
#publictransport #community #lowemissions

^^Is this still happening?

Not yet, and there still isn't a night-time or weekend Spring Hill loop, which could easily be operated without the need for new buses if the State would fund it.

verbatim9

Here is the video on the story and a glimpse of the new passenger information screens with next stop information.

The trained bus driver was quoted saying "it actually has a lot of power as well. You have to be careful on the accelerator"

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/national/brisbanes-first-electric-bus-to-hit-the-streets/ckpqnglbz00200ho3xax4wcf5 

ozbob

Missus caught the Loop e-bus today back from QUT to Central.

"Ooh it's now new purple bus, I'm sitting in the front most in the HIGH seat  yipee yipee  "

" Aah it's newly built and beautiful! "  < I said it is a new electric bus.  Please take some photographs

Photographs I Dow 14th June 2021

SurfRail

BCC has finally graduated to proper side destination signs like nearly every other operator in Australia for the past 15 years.  Yay them.
Ride the G:

ozbob

:-t

Seems the missus managed to travel on E6001 day one of service ...

Facebook ...

ozbob

^ The electric buses were built by Yutong.

https://en.yutong.com/

Cazza

And by Brisbane's first electric bus, he means Brisbane City Council's first electric bus, because anything outside of their Council area doesn't exist apparently (i.e. the handful of E buses out at the airport and the one Transdev has been running for a few months now)...

#Metro

BCC is not a team player! Never really have been  :wlk
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

verbatim9

Apparently these BYD busses are very successful in Sydney.. its good that they now have the external side display and internal next stop information.

The livery is quite smart as well.

SurfRail

Quote from: Cazza on June 15, 2021, 09:34:07 AM
And by Brisbane's first electric bus, he means Brisbane City Council's first electric bus, because anything outside of their Council area doesn't exist apparently (i.e. the handful of E buses out at the airport and the one Transdev has been running for a few months now)...

And the 2 which are used on Route 587, and the electric Toyota Coaster BCC had briefly in the early 90s... and even the trolleybuses if you want to get technical.
Ride the G:

verbatim9

Quote from: SurfRail on June 15, 2021, 15:09:50 PM
Quote from: Cazza on June 15, 2021, 09:34:07 AM

And the 2 which are used on Route 587, and the electric Toyota Coaster BCC had briefly in the early 90s... and even the trolleybuses if you want to get technical.
Any bus that suggests that it runs with OHW which is technically electric and reliable is blind sided by governments today. The salesman that promote rechargeable battery tech have overwhelmingly convinced governments that this is the only way forward.

verbatim9

aldonius

Quote from: verbatim9 on June 15, 2021, 18:48:29 PM
Any bus that suggests that it runs with OHW which is technically electric and reliable is blind sided by governments today. The salesman that promote rechargeable battery tech have overwhelmingly convinced governments that this is the only way forward.

Yeah, well, it's hard enough to prevent overheight vehicles from crashing into bridges let alone taking out wiring everywhere. Plus, OHW is ugly and gives you similar route restrictions to light rail, without the ride quality, capacity or mode snobbery benefits.

verbatim9

7 News flash back Brisbane's first electeic buses---> https://youtu.be/kieOWy0Ibgo

verbatim9

I spotted a new electric bus on Bowen Bridge road yesterday.from Logan City doing a rail replacement run.

SurfRail

One of the 2 Logan Coaches electric buses (which would be doing zero on a Sunday since they operate no route services).
Ride the G:

verbatim9

Top 10 electric urban buses

🡱 🡳