• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

South East Busway and Eastern Busway closure 9 Oct 2011

Started by ozbob, October 06, 2011, 16:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1317259689

South East Busway and Eastern Busway closure

On Sunday 9 October, the South East Busway and Eastern Busway will be closed from 4.30am until 9am for the Wilson HTM Brisbane to Gold Coast Cycle Challenge.

More information TransLink --> here!
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

HappyTrainGuy

What kind of crap is this? Two whole busways have to be shut down for a few people on their bikes....

ozbob

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on October 06, 2011, 16:21:06 PM
What kind of crap is this? Two whole busways have to be shut down for a few people on their bikes....

It happens every year, although last year I recall rain cancelled the event?

HappyTrainGuy

Ah okay. But I still don't see the reason for them doing it on busways. If PT wasn't aready enough of a kick in the teeth with fares, obsecure routes and operating hours.

colinw

Well, might be a bit of a rough ride if they used the Gold Coast line for it instead.  :hg

O_128

Just shut down a lane of the highway or is that to hard.
"Where else but Queensland?"

BrizCommuter

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on October 06, 2011, 16:53:10 PM
Ah okay. But I still don't see the reason for them doing it on busways. If PT wasn't aready enough of a kick in the teeth with fares, obsecure routes and operating hours.

Agree. Public transport is bad enough on Sunday mornings without busways being closed as well!

Mr X

It's all over now
Looking at their travel alternatives makes me think, what if someone wanted to go to one of the busway stations that was supposedly only accessible by taxi?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

Finance, Natural Resources and The Arts
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
09/10/2011

Thousands join in Queensland's largest one-day mass cycling event.

More than 7000 cyclists, including Minister for Finance, Natural Resources and The Arts Rachel Nolan, have taken part in the Wilson HTM Brisbane to Gold Coast Cycle Challenge.

The Queensland Government sponsors the 100 km event through the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Ms Nolan, who was also joined by and a team of 50 riders from the Department of Transport and Main Roads, said today's event demonstrated the government's commitment to boosting cycling.

"The Queensland Government is proud to be a major sponsor of this event and is committed to increasing cycling in Queensland, for transport, recreation, tourism and sport ," Ms Nolan said.

"Our government spent more than $100 million over 2009-2010 expanding cycling networks across Queensland and now continues to invest an average $90 million per annum to further boost networks.

"It's an investment to deliver safe, direct and connected cycle ways to help Queenslanders to choose cycling as their preferred transport option."

Cyclists participating in today's event completed a 100-kilometre course from South Bank in Brisbane and used the South East Busway to travel to Eight Mile Plains before travelling through Eagleby to Logan, Beenleigh, Coomera and Helensvale to the Gold Coast, finishing at Southport.

"Cycling is great for the individual, for communities and our planet," Ms Nolan said.

"It promotes better health, a cleaner environment and is a smart, sustainable travel choice and that is why the government is committed to investing time and money into the future of cycling in Queensland.

"The new Queensland Cycle Strategy 2011-2021 promotes the government's vision of 'more cycling, more often' and sets the direction to grow cycling across the state for the next decade.

"A signature project of the new strategy is setting up an Active Towns program, which aims to rapidly increase cycling and walking in targeted regional communities.

"The government will be piloting the Active Towns program in Cairns, Mackay and the Gold Coast, working with local governments, communities and the bicycle industry.

"Active towns will start next year and will see the towns share $12 million during a three year period to develop cycling friendly communities in regional areas through infrastructure, education and marketing.

"The Queensland Cycle Strategy and sponsorship of mass cycle events like today's Brisbane to Gold Coast Cycle Challenge are just two examples that demonstrate this commitment."

ENDS

jouzocha

Quote from: ozbob on October 09, 2011, 12:46:48 PM
Ms Nolan, who was also joined by and a team of 50 riders from the Department of Transport and Main Roads, said today's event demonstrated the government's commitment to boosting cycling.

"The Queensland Government is proud to be a major sponsor of this event and is committed to increasing cycling in Queensland, for transport, recreation, tourism and sport ," Ms Nolan said.

"Our government spent more than $100 million over 2009-2010 expanding cycling networks across Queensland and now continues to invest an average $90 million per annum to further boost networks.

What a load of drivel.  If the Qld Gov't was serious about increasing cycling they'd be building far more cycle paths/separated bike lanes than is currently happening, rather than 'shared' paths (i.e. paint a picture of a bike on a footpath or paint a stripe of paint on a road).  The cycleway over the new Gateway bridge is a classic example, shared path when there really needs to be separate cycle and pedestrian paths, and on the the northside at least it basically goes nowhere, i.e. no connections with the existing cycleway network (such as it is).

🡱 🡳