Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Gailes  (Read 12831 times)

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Gailes
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »
Gailes railway station has had some changes associated with the Ipswich Highway works. The footbridge across the Highway is an impressive structure.  I actually saw some people on it last week.  It seems that motor vehicle access to the station by road on the highway side is gone.

Up coal train, headed by QRN locomotive in the new 'pineapple' livery strides through Gailes westward bound ..

There is a cycle way that starts at Gailes, over the highway.  The Ipswich Motorway Cycleway.

Photographs R Dow 31st July 2011
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:34:37 PM by ozbob »
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Instagram   Facebook

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Re: Gailes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
Gailes is certainly earning its keep these days, particularly during the week.  There are no real parking or bus facilities but a large number of cars park on the road shoulders during the week.

Photographs R Dow 11th September 2011
Instagram   Facebook

Offline Gazza

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
I actually saw some people on it last week. 
Paint sniffers? Graffiti Artists?  :-r

somebody

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
What's the reason for this station still existing?  The car parks there?

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
What's the reason for this station still existing?  The car parks there?

The station is well used during the week particularly.  It has a lot of park and riders and acts as an overflow from Wacol and Goodna.  Also some locals, the footbridge gives access to the industrial areas across the highway.  When I have been there during the day on weekends always a few pax around.   The loss of the vehicle access from the highway side has pushed everything over to the Wilruna St side.
Instagram   Facebook

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »

QRN Coal Train passing through Gailes Queensland.

Photograph R Dow 11th September 2011
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:42:28 PM by ozbob »
Instagram   Facebook

Offline Gazza

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
What's the reason for this station still existing?  The car parks there?
See that's what I've felt. Surely it would be cheaper to just shift the park and riders to these stations with extra car parks, rather than maintaining an entire station (Plus the bonus of a bit of travel time saving)....I think it's one station that deserves to go to the scrapper. Its just a stupid location with little prospect for good walk up patronage.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
The new bridge (old Logan Road extension) now allows good access into Gailes, from strangely the suburban areas of Gailes!  There is no room at Goodna.  Wacol could support some more car parks but the mess there with the traffic on Wacol Station Road/Wilruna St would only be made worse if Gailes went.  No, I think Gailes will actually grow in patronage from here.  There is a reasonable local potential pax demand into the industrial area on the other side of the foot bridge over the highway as well.  Some one thought so as well, looking at the footbridge ...  ;)
Instagram   Facebook

somebody

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
I guess if there Redbank triple (should it be a quad?) goes ahead then the Ipswich trains don't need to be slowed by serving Gailes.  At least in peak.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
Think about it this way....If you were building in the Ipswich line from scratch, would you bother with a station there?

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »
Gailes railway station was originally known as Dingo Hill Railway Station

Trove --> here!

As reported in The Courier Saturday 19th September 1925 page 23

DINGO HILL RENAMED.

Dingo Hill railway station on the main line to Ipswich, has been renamed, and in future will be known as Gailes. This station is adjacent to the Goodna golf links, and the name. Gailes, was selected as it is that of a noted and popular golf club in the Motherland.
Instagram   Facebook

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:11 AM »
The general area around Gailes was originally named Pullen Pullen flats, there was a siding at Dingo Hill.  Presumably to service local agriculture and so forth.  Brisbane pass trains did not regularly stop at Dingo Hill and in 1924 with the opening of the adjacent Golf Course  the Railways Department directed that the the trains stop at Gailes (Dingo Hill) for the golfers.  Been stopping ever since!   :D

When final road systems and rail amplifications are in place, there may well be a need to examine the future of Gailes railway station.  For the present though it is an important relief station for the overloaded western park and ride systems and useful for locals.

Instagram   Facebook

Offline Cam

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
Think about it this way....If you were building in the Ipswich line from scratch, would you bother with a station there?

No, you wouldn't. The closest house in Gailes to the station is about 10 minutes walk using the new footbridge. I've walked it. Some of the houses in Gailes are closer to the railway station at Goodna than Gailes. The 522 & 530 bus services from Goodna Railway Station travel along Old Logan Road through Gailes. The bus stops are 10-20 minutes walk closer to most of the houses in the suburb than the railway station at Gailes.

I've never seen anyone with golf clubs join or disembark a train at Gailes so I doubt that many users of the adjoining golf course use the train to get there. The vast majority of commuters who use it have parked there car there after & do so because they can park much closer to the station than if they did at Goodna. These commuters could easily drive a couple of kilometres further to Wacol. I've parked at both stations but now only use Wacol because there are car park cameras and it is in the next zone.  

Offline Gazza

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:24 AM »
Perhaps a good point to reconsider it's future would be if they were considering an acessibility upgrade....it might say cost $10 mil to upgrade the station..... But for $5 you could build a 500 space multideck at Wacol.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »
Perhaps a good point to reconsider it's future would be if they were considering an acessibility upgrade....it might say cost $10 mil to upgrade the station..... But for $5 you could build a 500 space multideck at Wacol.

Gailes railway station was more a combination of historical fortuitous circumstances than a station built to primarily directly service a passenger demands apart from the golf course.  The main transport (other than foot/horse) to the golf course originally was by motor from Goodna railway station, but with the opening of the Gailes course rail was the main way to access the course.  And of course in the 1920s the changes with the Ipswich Highway and so forth would not have been thought off.  The new footbridge over the highway is wheel chair accessible, but not the rail bridge of course.

Yes, when Wacol gets sorted Gailes might go the way of Dingo Hill I think ..  but it has a few years yet.   When Springfield rail opens pressure on Goodna (and Gailes) will be relieved a bit as well.

http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_ipswich/history/suburb_place_names/

Gailes was a railway station name given in 1925 after the Western Gailes Golf Course in Scotland and said to mean overgrown with bog-myrrh. It replaced the earlier railway station name of Dingo Hill (1919) for the area which was formerly known as Pullen Pullen Flats. The name was suggested by the wife of Dr. H. Byram Ellerton, superintendent of the Goodna Hospital and a founding member of the Goodna Golf Club at Dingo Hill in 1924, which changed its name to Gailes Golf Course in 1935.

Gailes became a suburb of Ipswich in 1959.
Instagram   Facebook

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »
Called into Gailes.  Time around 12.30pm, counted about 190 cars parked along the road.

Photographs R Dow 10th November 2011
Instagram   Facebook

Offline Cam

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
Does anyone have the morning boarding figures for Gailes?

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »

No, state secret apparently ...
Instagram   Facebook

Offline barnesy

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:42 PM »
would be nice to see a proper carpark built

Offline #Metro

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »

World Class, World Class!!!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline Cam

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »

If anyone has several hours spare one weekday morning or afternoon you would only need to monitor the pedestrian bridge over the Ipswich Motorway to determine the walk up patronage. My guess is that most of the walk up patronage would be outside the operating hours of the bus services through Gailes to/from Goodna Railway Station.

Offline barnesy

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
Gailes is perfect overflow for Goodna and Wacol passengers might grow in that way but limited parking facilites there, if they eventually do third line it may reduce parking on the wilruna side

somebody

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »

What do you mean?  It is in the 2009 survey.  From memory it might be 93.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 02:17:19 PM »
Hello, it is 2011 and has changed a lot since then ...

http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=6883.0

Media release 19 October 2011

SEQ: Call for transparency with public transport performance and load data

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers has called for the routine public release of detailed and accurate, performance and load data for public transport, as in other states of Australia (1,2,3).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"Detailed load and performance data for public transport in south-east Queensland is not made publicly available as in other states.  This suggests that the authorities are more interested in maintaining a cloak of secrecy and non-transparency, and covering up failure."

"We call on TransLink to make publicly available timely and accurate performance data for all railway lines, bus and ferry routes."

"Why is necessary to resort to Right To Information requests for data that is made readily available in other states?  Is there something to hide?"

"Taxpayers and the public transport community are tired of being treated with contempt!"

References:

1. http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/pt/facts-and-figures/track-record/track-record-monthly-performance-bulletin-trains-metropolitan

2. http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/pt/facts-and-figures/track-record/track-record-monthly-performance-bulletin-trams

3. http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/NewsandMedia/TransperthPatronage/tabid/218/Default.aspx

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:27:10 PM by ozbob »
Instagram   Facebook

Offline ghostryder

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
Bob/All
Back in the 1990's while on holidays in Brisbane i stopped at Gailes station doing some research for a train modelling project. I was talking to the Stationmistress she was saying how patronage was effected because the direct access to the nearby population had been hampered somewhat by the Logan Motorway which cut direct foot traffic to the station. I guess its hard to access the station if your on foot and there is a motorway in the way and no way over or under it.

Scott

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
Gailes station made the Channel 10 News (5pm bulletin) today.  You are a star ...   ;D
Instagram   Facebook

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
Bob/All
Back in the 1990's while on holidays in Brisbane i stopped at Gailes station doing some research for a train modelling project. I was talking to the Stationmistress she was saying how patronage was effected because the direct access to the nearby population had been hampered somewhat by the Logan Motorway which cut direct foot traffic to the station. I guess its hard to access the station if your on foot and there is a motorway in the way and no way over or under it.

Scott

I was stationed at Wacol for time during 1969/70.  I vaguely remember both Wacol and Gailes stations at that time.  There was a road house at Gailes that we sometimes frequented for late night snacks after the boozer closed at the Army Camp.   From what I recall both stations were reasonably accessible in those days.  As the car culture developed, ensuring reasonable pedestrian access to existing non car transport was not really considered, as we were all going to go by car, hey ...
Instagram   Facebook

somebody

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »
Hello, it is 2011 and has changed a lot since then ...
I guess Richlands has opened which would affect the availability of parking.

Offline Cam

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:39 AM »
Gailes station made the Channel 10 News (5pm bulletin) today.  You are a star ...   ;D

Bob, what was the story about?

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
Gailes station made the Channel 10 News (5pm bulletin) today.  You are a star ...   ;D

Bob, what was the story about?

The possible staff at station cutbacks which was a big item yesterday.  Unfortunately the story didn't make the archives.  Had some nice shots of Gailes rail, some talking heads and all in all a good story ...  8)

Instagram   Facebook

Offline barnesy

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
makes a good point with parking and richlands station affect , one end of profgress rd is wacol and gailes close by and half way along just off progress is richlands

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »
It is very interesting the whole western car parking dynamic.

This time last year I was suggesting to the authorities that more options needed to be provided in terms of feeder bus into Darra, the rail bus from Springfield to Richlands needs to operate from day one of Richlands train (now next year 2012) because the 650 car parking spaces at Richlands will fill quickly.  I was fobbed off to a certain extent, the thinking being that Richlands would ease the parking issues at Darra, Oxley, Goodna, Gailes and Wacol.  Well it hasn't, if anything parking is worse.

Darra is parked out  everywhere, and is at a level equal to this time last year; overflow street parking, illegal car parking in the park n' ride and so forth.  Oxley is as bad as ever, Goodna is parked out with overflows at Gailes. Wacol has possibly dropped marginally - south car parks usually a few spare spots. Richlands is full early most days, and is a cause of significant complaint to the local political representatives, late starters cannot park.  Unable to park at Richlands the next best option is Wacol and/or Gailes.  Forget Darra and Oxley, no-man parking land.

We cannot continue along this mono-vision park n' ride focus, more must be done with station/feeder buses and commensurate active transport support.

I think there is a case for some cost recovery from park n' rides as well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:03:50 PM by ozbob »
Instagram   Facebook

Offline #Metro

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »

I agree. Using the Go Card this can also be done such that an adult might pay $2 and a student/concession might pay $1 and free at all other times.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

somebody

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
I agree.  But you know the public will say to that.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Who ever wins the next election will, I have no doubt, follow a Perth approach with respect to park n' ride.  There is unlikely to be any mention or acknowledgement (even downright promise that they won't, core and non core) that such a thing will occur, but as we know, there are no guarantees ...
Instagram   Facebook

Offline #Metro

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
Charge them. A 650 space car park, assuming 80% capacity and $2 per day is $1040 or revenue per day.

That $1040 is enough to buy a 10 space bicycle rack every work day- so over the course of the year you could deck out all the BUZ stops with
bicycle racks (unsecured) that people will have an alternative.*

When that's done, that money can go into buses. Assuming it costs $100 per hour to run a bus (overestimate) and you already have the bus
you can run a bus for 10 hours; assume 30 minute feeder route, 5 extra feeder buses per day or 325 extra seats one way, a 50% increase
in capacity over the carpark.

* On my trip on the 460 today past richlands, Sunday morning, I noted that the secure bicycle rack was empty, the lockers I couldn't tell, and there were 5-8 bicycles in the unsecured rack. So I think people prefer access and convenience over security in this case, security issues should not prevent bicycle racks being rolled out at bus stops.

Offline #Metro

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Transperth has  introduced car parking ticket machines at Pay ‘n’ Display car parks at train stations.
These upgraded machines will allow you to use your SmartRider card to pay for your all day parking. By using your SmartRider card, you won’t need to worry about carrying spare change to pay for your parking. Coins will still be accepted by these machines.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTransperth/CarParking.aspx

Offline david

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
It is very interesting the whole western car parking dynamic.

Darra is parked out  everywhere, and is at a level equal to this time last year; overflow street parking, illegal car parking in the park n' ride and so forth.  Oxley is as bad as ever, Goodna is parked out with overflows at Gailes. Wacol has possibly dropped marginally - south car parks usually a few spare spots. Richlands is full early most days, and is a cause of significant complaint to the local political representatives, late starters cannot park.  Unable to park at Richlands the next best option is Wacol and/or Gailes.  Forget Darra and Oxley, no-man parking land.

A true reflection of the madness that occurs in these suburbs. Feeder buses need to be used more effectively. Upgrades to bus interchanges at Darra and Oxley are now a must! The stuff-up of Darra Station B stop, where buses can't even access the stop anymore due to people using it as a kiss-and-ride, as well as only having capacity for 2 buses, where 3 buses are scheduled to depart at times is ludicrous! The bus interchange needs to be set up like at UQ Chancellors Place/Lakes - indented bus stops! Convert some of the existing parking spaces on Manburgh Tce as a kiss-and-ride.

And last but not least - UPGRADE THE FEEDERS!
- 452 and 103 need urgent upgrades.
(An hourly frequency during peak for the 103 is simply unacceptable! Similarly, 30 minute frequency for the 452??? Especially considering the high frequency through Darra)
- 467 needs to be re-routed to Darra
- A new feeder service between Richlands/Darra/Oxley/Corinda
- Truncation of 101/102 to Oxley
- Re-time 460/465 to provide even frequency along Forest Lake Boulevard
- Extend 122 loop to Richlands Station

somebody

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »
Why send the 467 to Darra?  Oxley seems pretty reasonable.

With the 101/102 maybe we should focus on what we really want there - bus to coordinate with the city train at Oxley.

Online Stillwater

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
Re charging for station parking etc., like anything, people will pay if they see the quality in what they purchase and perceive value for money.  Recently I bought a new motor mower.  There were cheaper, but I settled on middle of the range model.  It runs well.  Recently I had it serviced withinin warranty.  A sign on the wall of the outdoor machinery retailer warned people not to bring in for service the cheaper whipper-snipper models sold by a popular hardware chain.  They are not worth repairing, my mower man says.  If I am in the market for a whipper-snipper, I won't be buying one from the big green box, but one of my local outdoor stores.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan