• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Twitter line Updates in Melbourne

Started by ozbob, July 26, 2011, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Twitter is being increasingly used for real time service disruption upates and so forth.

TransLink and Queensland Rail Twitter Updates are broad.  One thing done in Melbourne is that specific line Twitter updates are available.  I would suggest that most commuters are only really interested in their specific line updates, similar to how erail works here in SEQ.

For example http://twitter.com/#!/UpfieldTrain  Upfield Link

Others specific for all lines.  Not sure if these are official or just the work of a keen citizen.  But it is a good idea IMHO.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Derwan

I don't use Twitter.  I'd prefer it if they had updates on Facebook.  (They can easily link the accounts so that only one needs to be updated for the message to go on both.)

QR has a page on Facebook, but not TransLink.  QR's updates generally aren't service-related though.  eRail updates serve that purpose.  The Facebook page is more a marketing tool.

I don't know if specific line updates are a good idea, but multiple social networks are a must.  I'm sure someone could easily write an interface using the API of Twitter and Facebook to allow a single update, with a tickbox for lines affected if they want to have line-specific channels.  If TransLink had an SMS alert system, it could be integrated with that as well.  (One typed message, lines selected, system sends text messages and posts on Twitter/Facebook.)

The technology is easy to use.  But technology and "government" just doesn't mix very well.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

mufreight

Quote from: Derwan on July 26, 2011, 12:53:18 PM
The technology is easy to use.  But technology and "government" just doesn't mix very well.

Government? wot Government?

🡱 🡳