• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Grid lock for Brisbane

Started by ozbob, September 09, 2006, 11:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

The article below from the Courier Mail (9 Sep 2006)  highlights how critical it is that our rail infrastructure be put in place.  It will not be possible for the masses to commute by motor vehicles as they are accustomed to now.  
With the return of the Beattie labor government let us hope that the promises are translated into action.  

QuoteCity grinds to a halt
Michael Corkill
Article from:   September 09, 2006 12:00am
ROADS into Brisbane's city heart have reached their peak-hour carrying capacity and are likely to suffer gridlock within the next 20 years.
The dire warning came from Brisbane City Council transport and traffic staff, who predicted traffic jams at key inbound access points to the central business district by 2026 ? regardless of planned road projects such as the North-South Bypass Tunnel.
The information was provided to the council's secret civic cabinet meeting, which was told inbound CBD road capacity was currently at an "equilibrium" ? a state of rest due to the equal action of opposing forces.
Cabinet was told that if the equilibrium was to be maintained, the council either had to build more road space and provide more inner-city parking or restrict parking to encourage walking, cycling and public transport use. Motorist lobby group RACQ seized on the report as evidence Liberal Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's TransApex series of toll roads and tunnels would not help traffic congestion in the long term.
"TransApex will not solve congestion," RACQ spokesman Gary Fites said. "Massive public transport funding will not solve congestion . . . (It) reinforces the need for a more comprehensive transport package involving all levels of government."
The cost of traffic congestion in Brisbane was expected to rise from $2.6 billion a year to $9.3 billion a year within a decade ? over double the increases faced by Sydney or Melbourne.
Labor Deputy Mayor David Hinchliffe said the council would "revolutionise" public transport in Brisbane to cope with road problems. But the city is already facing severe bus overcrowding, chronic bus shortages, and a lack of kerbside CBD space for buses to stop.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

skepsis

I havent driven into the city for several years-- however, I know many who do who are not commuting to work, because so many organisations, including government ones, start their publicly attended meetings, workshops, conferences etc at 9am. I dont wish to exacerbate and travel on overcrowded commuter services when it's not necessary. I'm considered very peculiar when I voice my objections and refuse to do  this,  (especially for medical appointments in the city). Public health facilities are also guilty of making group appointments for 8.30am, and many patients who can't physically access the public transport system,  must therefore use private vehicle or taxi transport. Furthermore bustops are sited an impossible walking distance from medical departments for sick-impaired people.

It seems that the message about avoiding unnecessary traffic congestion is not being fully considered by the business-organisation sections, only the individual.
Also. the public transport system is designed around commuting, not general users-- Try carrying anything on a train-bus.. there's not even space under the seat, another reason people chosing to drive.

ozbob

Welcome skepsis.   You raise some good points.  There was a letter in the Courier Mail recently suggesting staggering employment start times to help reduce congestion, public transport and roads.

As more folks use public transport there will be a need for space, luggage and shopping and so forth.   Some of the new designs for buses and trains are offering more space for such items.  I think we will see more of this in the future.

The whole community has to come to grips with this timing issue.  More the publicity the better.

Best wishes
Ozbob
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

🡱 🡳