• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

TransLink Tracker Q3 2010 -11

Started by ozbob, July 08, 2011, 15:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/media-releases/release/342

Patronage levels on the rise after wet summer

Thursday 7 July 2011

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said the latest TransLink Tracker covering January to March this year, painted a picture of how the floods impacted on public transport across South East Queensland.

"The impact to bus train and ferry services was estimated to be more than 5 million trips in January when minimal services were operating along major corridors from January 11," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"It should also be noted that no patronage data was gathered during the eight days of free public transport from January 14-21.

"A further 1 million-trip impact was experienced during February, however encouragingly, patronage levels began returning to normal in March 2011, with an increase of more than 250,000 trips compared to March 2010

Ms Palaszczuk said the stand out statistic from the first quarter was the dramatic rise in visits to the TransLink website.

"Not unexpectedly, the number of visitors to the website shot up during the floods as customers logged on to check the latest news regarding disruptions and the resumption of services as the network recovered.

"Web hits for the reporting period was nearly 10.8 million compared with 5.8 million the previous quarter.

Ms Palaszczuk said overall customer satisfaction also increased for bus, train and ferry customers as public transport services help get the city moving again.

Other data from this edition of Tracker shows:

The percentage of go card trips has increased to 75 per cent across the quarter.

Customer complaints, go card complaints and adjustment requests remained well down on Q3 the previous year.

Thank you to all Translink staff for their extraordinary work throughout the year," Ms Palaszczuk said.

View the TransLink Tracker PDF for January to March (Quarter 3) 2010-2011.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

I do not believe the data published for bus OTP

:hc

Fares_Fair

Unless of course it's Off Time Performance.

Personally I believe it is seriously misleading to have an 'on time performance' that has a 4 minute 59 second definition.
When the definition of 'on time' is not what the public or any reasonable person would perceive it to be - it is wrong.

A more honest definition would be W5M (within 5 minutes).

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Fixed fares increased in the quarter, to be expected due to flood damage, was 3.5%.  

But only 5.3 per 10,000 are claimed, which equals = 0.053%  so only 3.5/0.053 is adjusted = for every 66 fixed fares one is claimed back.

I wonder why they have different scales?  LOL

ozbob

Another way of looking at fixed fares is that for every 100/3.5 trips, that is 1 in 28 trips,  results in a fixed fare. I ask you, is this a world class ticketing system?

It matters little if it is fare evasion, user error, or system failure, it is a diabolical error rate ...

ozbob

Page 16 passenger train loads, even with TransLink's quaint definitions of overloading, getting worse ... both AM and PM.

Nothern line is a basket case, but we knew that.

ozbob

Timing of the release of TransLink Tracker is always interesting, usually late Fridays and in the shadow of a larger issues, in this case carbon tax.  But we are on the job!  LOL

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on July 08, 2011, 16:52:37 PM
Page 16 passenger train loads, even with TransLink's quaint definitions of overloading, getting worse ... both AM and PM.

Nothern line is a basket case, but we knew that.

Jolly big basket too !
Looking forward to some night-time reading ...

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Arnz

Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 08, 2011, 16:16:04 PM

Personally I believe it is seriously misleading to have an 'on time performance' that has a 4 minute 59 second definition.
When the definition of 'on time' is not what the public or any reasonable person would perceive it to be - it is wrong.

Don't forget they "moved" the goalposts not long ago for Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, it's 6 minutes.  :dntk :-r
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Golliwog

Quote from: ozbob on July 08, 2011, 16:53:54 PM
Timing of the release of TransLink Tracker is always interesting, usually late Fridays and in the shadow of a larger issues, in this case carbon tax.  But we are on the job!  LOL

It was up mid-morning, but I forgot to post it up here. Still haven't had a good read of it, though as they say, the floods threw out a lot of their data as a lot of it is per 10,000 trips.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Yep, published on Fridays to minimise scrutiny ...

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Arnz on July 08, 2011, 17:17:06 PM

Don't forget they "moved" the goalposts not long ago for Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, it's 6 minutes.  :dntk :-r

Hello Arnz,

Where can I find that information officially ?
It'd make a great story.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Arnz

Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 08, 2011, 21:04:09 PM
Quote from: Arnz on July 08, 2011, 17:17:06 PM

Don't forget they "moved" the goalposts not long ago for Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, it's 6 minutes.  :dntk :-r

Hello Arnz,

Where can I find that information officially ?
It'd make a great story.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

Official "Customer Charter"/'Our Performance' Page: http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/AboutUs/CustomerCharter/Pages/Yourtime.aspx

Moving of the "goalposts" first came up in a "old" 2010 topic when you raised it up: http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5075.0
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Fares_Fair

Hello Arnz,

I did too, I'd forgotten all about it ... had a lot of other train stuff going on.  ;D

The measure defined
The percentage of train services on the City network which arrive at their destination on time, combining both the morning and afternoon peak periods for the month.

A Gold Coast, Rosewood or North Coast service is classified as 'on time' if it arrives less then 6 minutes late at its destination, all others if it arrives less then 4 minutes late at its destination.

Travel Train network.. good thing we aren't that !

All Afternoon peak services are measured on arrival at their destination. Most morning peak services are measured on arrival at Central Station. The only exceptions are Rosewood shuttles which are measured on arrival at Ipswich and North Coast shuttles which are measured on arrival at CabooltureThe measure defined
The percentage of train services on the Traveltrain network which arrive at their destination on time. A train is classified as 'on time' if it arrives within 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival time.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

This article completely misses the real issues ...

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Trains miss on-time target

QuoteTrains miss on-time target
Daniel Hurst
July 9, 2011

Queensland Rail has recorded its worst on-time running performance in nearly a year, a result the organisation calls disappointing.

The latest TransLink Tracker report, released this week, shows the number of peak-hour city network trains running on time stood at 92.2 per cent in the first three months of this year.

Although the result fell short of the 93.01 per cent target set by TransLink, Queensland Rail will not face any fines because financial penalties were removed when the bodies signed a new service agreement last year.

A Queensland Rail spokeswoman said the agreement that took effect last July also increased the target for on-time running performance, "among the most stringent in Australia".

"Queensland Rail exceeded this target in its first six months," she said.

"We are disappointed with the January to March quarter result where we missed our benchmark by less than 1 per cent."

The spokeswoman said the prolonged wet weather and flooding caused ongoing issues for the network and trains during this period, even after the flood waters had receded.

"While the figures for the April to June quarter are still being finalised, we are confident that we have achieved the benchmark for this period," she said.

Opposition transport spokesman Scott Emerson questioned why TransLink took more than three months to release the figures.

"I think it seems remarkable that we can get comments from the government saying we're confident we've done better this time, a week after that [reporting] period finished, but it still takes more than three months to release the data," he said.

"The data should be released faster."

Mr Emerson said it was worrying that Queensland Rail was failing to meet its performance standards, despite higher fares and continual claims by the government that services were improving.

Trains are counted as being on time if they arrive less than four minutes late or less than four minutes early.

The latest result was worse than the 93.87 per cent on-time figure recorded in the last three months of last year.

However, it was slightly better than the 91.6 per cent reached in the first three months of last year.

Queensland Rail executive Martin Ryan last year told brisbanetimes.com.au on-time running performance was "really our biggest challenge".

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said the latest TransLink Tracker report painted a picture of how the floods impacted on public transport across southeast Queensland, with patronage figures decreasing during the disruptions.

"The impact to bus train and ferry services was estimated to be more than 5 million trips in January when minimal services were operating along major corridors from January 11," she said in a statement.

"It should also be noted that no patronage data was gathered during the eight days of free public transport from January 14 to 21."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/trains-miss-ontime-target-20110708-1h6ks.html#ixzz1RXCxWcTh

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

9 July 2011

TransLink Tracker Quarter 3 2010-11

Greetings,

The third quarter TransLink Tracker was made available on the web yesterday.

http://translink.com.au/resources/about-translink/reporting-and-publications/2010-11-quarterly-report-jan-to-mar.pdf

Better late than never is our view!

Obviously ontime performance has been affected by the big wet.

What is significant in the TransLink tracker is that 3.5% of all trips on the go card results in a fixed fare (the penalty fare) but only 0.053% are claimed back, that is for every 66 penalty fares only one is claimed back!  Is a ticketing system that results in an error every 29 times it is used world class?  Hardly, these errors occur as a result of system errors eg. readers in buses not working, user error - complicated by poor screen design, often inaudible beeps and glare and moisture, and fare evasion (some people deliberately not touching off).  The fare structure itself is anti-public transport and since the fare increases rather than decreasing the fare subsidy the opposite is occuring.  Will the government act to fix the fare structure and go card system?

The other thing in the Tracker that is significant is that the number of overloaded trains is increasing.  Full buses are ignored in the Tracker.  Little wonder folks are not happy, worsening service levels and fare increases way above the CPI, fare increases that are not decreasing the fare subsidy because of worsening relative patronage.

Also it is stretching credibility to think that the reported on time performance for buses is actually accurate.  Nonsense.

Have a happy commute.  Don't forget to touch on and touch off!

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

david

Just had a look at the train passenger load numbers, and boy are some of them are concerning.

- 7 out of 15 Cleveland AM Peak services overcrowded? One word - Wow
- 1 Doomben AM Peak service overcrowded? How is that even possible. I'll have to assume that it was a 3-car service that took on some exceptional loadings between Eagle Junction and Bowen Hills and breached the maximum designed loading.
- 2 Ferny Grove AM peak services overcrowded? Either the seating capacity filled up completely at Mitchelton, or, once again, maximum designed loading was breached later on down the track. Either way, this should not be happening on a comparatively short line.
- 5 Gold Coast AM peak services had passengers standing before reaching Beenleigh. And same thing for PM peak? I'm hoping the problem doesn't extend past Ormeau.

Interesting to note that no Sunshine Coast services had standing passengers past Caboolture in the afternoon and only 2 had standing passengers in the morning. I'm assuming these 2 services were the 2 previously 3-car services. It would be interesting to find out how many passengers are standing between Petrie and Caboolture for the next round of the load surveys.

I'm also surprised that the Beenleigh line didn't have many "overcrowded" services, considering the length of the line. Those BUZ services must be doing their job taking loads off Altandi and Fruitgrove...

Golliwog

One of those overcrowded am FG services would probably be be the 7.06 express, I've caught it before and seats have almost been all taken when leaving Ferny Grove so full by Mitchelton wouldn't be hard, it is also preceded by a 21minute gap so that certainly doesn't help either.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Golliwog on July 09, 2011, 12:22:21 PM
One of those overcrowded am FG services would probably be be the 7.06 express, I've caught it before and seats have almost been all taken when leaving Ferny Grove so full by Mitchelton wouldn't be hard, it is also preceded by a 21minute gap so that certainly doesn't help either.

The 7:06 can leave behind some passengers at Enoggera at busier times of year. The fact that the preceding 21min gap has not been filled is a disgrace.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: david on July 09, 2011, 11:50:49 AM
Just had a look at the train passenger load numbers, and boy are some of them are concerning.

- 1 Doomben AM Peak service overcrowded? How is that even possible. I'll have to assume that it was a 3-car service that took on some exceptional loadings between Eagle Junction and Bowen Hills and breached the maximum designed loading.
- 2 Ferny Grove AM peak services overcrowded? Either the seating capacity filled up completely at Mitchelton, or, once again, maximum designed loading was breached later on down the track. Either way, this should not be happening on a comparatively short line.
- 5 Gold Coast AM peak services had passengers standing before reaching Beenleigh. And same thing for PM peak? I'm hoping the problem doesn't extend past Ormeau.

Interesting to note that no Sunshine Coast services had standing passengers past Caboolture in the afternoon and only 2 had standing passengers in the morning. I'm assuming these 2 services were the 2 previously 3-car services. It would be interesting to find out how many passengers are standing between Petrie and Caboolture for the next round of the load surveys.

I'm also surprised that the Beenleigh line didn't have many "overcrowded" services, considering the length of the line. Those BUZ services must be doing their job taking loads off Altandi and Fruitgrove...

That is absoutely correct, pre-June 6 we always had seats available after Caboolture in the afternoons (after standing for 45 minutes) from Bowen Hills to Caboolture.
Our morning services had regular standees for the Caboolture to Bowen Hills express leg, sometimes standees as far north as Glasshouse Mountains at times, but not regularly.
One certainly was a 6 car ICE train. Not sure what the other service referred to is so cannot answer that part of the question.

It was only since the the new timetable was implemented on June 6 that the (overloaded) wheels fell off.

That is why it is all so puzzling - what actually went wrong ? Maybe the Go card data (~70% used) isn't as reliable as it is made out to be.
How could it have been so wrong ?
Is an internal inquiry justified to determine the cause and prevent it happening to other lines ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Arnz

The 'overcrowded' Sunshine Coast services past Caboolture in question are the 2 early morning services. 

The first services of the day were only 3-car units, usually standing room only by Glasshouse Mountains pre-June 6.  The only fortunate thing then is those trains had a toilet (3-car IMU).
Rgds,
Arnz

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on July 09, 2011, 15:11:22 PM
The fact that the preceding 21min gap has not been filled is a disgrace.
Given that we are seeing the unwelcome return of 3 car services, one can assume there is a shortage of rollingstock since the 6 June Ips/Cab timetable.

Hard to call it a "disgrace" with your previous support of the Ips/Cab timetable.  Or am I missing something?

david

^ I'd have to agree. The only way the Ferny Grove line will see extra services is through 3-car services. But hopefully, those on the Ferny Grove line will put up with the increased number of standees, as long as the frequencies are adequate during peak (9/12 minute)

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Simon on July 10, 2011, 10:29:11 AM
Quote from: BrizCommuter on July 09, 2011, 15:11:22 PM
The fact that the preceding 21min gap has not been filled is a disgrace.
Given that we are seeing the unwelcome return of 3 car services, one can assume there is a shortage of rollingstock since the 6 June Ips/Cab timetable.

Hard to call it a "disgrace" with your previous support of the Ips/Cab timetable.  Or am I missing something?

That 21 minute gap has been a disgrace since day 1 of the March 2008 timetable - long before the new Ips/Cab timetable was even thought of. 

somebody

Ok.  I for one would have much preferred a new timetable for the suburbans on M-K, with a tiered service for FG and a 15 minute Shorncliffe service.  But there are numerous issues not being resolved.

somebody

Does anyone have a copy of the pre-2008 Ferny Grove timetable?

BrizCommuter

Email BrizCommuter, and you can get a signed and framed copy of the 14/07/07 Funny Groove Line Timetable, without the signed and framed bit.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 09, 2011, 19:18:37 PM

That is absoutely correct, pre-June 6 we always had seats available after Caboolture in the afternoons (after standing for 45 minutes) from Bowen Hills to Caboolture.
Our morning services had regular standees for the Caboolture to Bowen Hills express leg, sometimes standees as far north as Glasshouse Mountains at times, but not regularly.
One certainly was a 6 car ICE train. Not sure what the other service referred to is so cannot answer that part of the question.

It was only since the the new timetable was implemented on June 6 that the (overloaded) wheels fell off.

That is why it is all so puzzling - what actually went wrong ? Maybe the Go card data (~70% used) isn't as reliable as it is made out to be.
Is an internal inquiry justified to determine the cause and prevent it happening to other lines ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

This from the latest TRANSLink Tracker:

Due to the recent increase in go card
use, train trip numbers continue to be
impacted by the increased accuracy of
go card data when compared with the
formulas applied to periodical paper
tickets (as outlined in Tracker Q1 2008/9).

My only question, aside from the one's I have quoted above.
Where's the proof ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 10, 2011, 20:25:03 PM
Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 09, 2011, 19:18:37 PM

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

This from the latest TRANSLink Tracker:

Due to the recent increase in go card
use, train trip numbers continue to be
impacted by the increased accuracy of
go card data when compared with the
formulas applied to periodical paper
tickets (as outlined in Tracker Q1 2008/9).

My only question, aside from the one's I have quoted above.
Where's the proof ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

In the last TransLink tracker.
-There was the above mentioned go card statistics excuse.
-The counted patronage change, or actual counted passenger numbers were not listed.
-Excluding the "10 days of stats that floated down the river" train patronage appears to be slightly down.
Going by this evidence, BrizCommuter would predict that rail patronage had indeed declined.

ozbob

Opposition Statement

http://candoqld.com.au/news/transport/new-report-reveals-more-public-transport-failures

New report reveals more public transport failures

Written by  Scott Emerson

Trains are running later, they're more overcrowded, and more expensive according to a damning report of Labor's performance by its own transit authority – Translink, the State Opposition said today.

Shadow Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the latest Translink Tracker report showed despite Labor punishing commuters with fare rises of 20 per cent last year and 15 per cent this year, public transport services are declining.

"Under Labor fares keep going up, but the service doesn't improve," said Mr Emerson.

"Despite Transport Minister Anastasia Palaszczuk claiming public transport users were experiencing a world class service, this latest Translink Tracker shows the shocking truth rather than Labor's spin.

"The Translink Tracker report showed for the first three months of the year Queensland Rail had recorded its worst on-time running performance in nearly a  year.

"The report also showed overcrowding on morning peak services had risen by 25 per cent since the same period last year, and more train users believed public transport had become less affordable.

"After 20 long years Labor continues to mismanage public transport and this latest Translink Tracker report proves another dud Labor Minister is failing badly," he said.

"The past and present is bad – but it will only get worse with  fares set to jump15 per cent each year for the next three years.

"This cycle of fare pain and declining services reflects the lack of a detailed, funded long term Queensland infrastructure plan from this government who has become so arrogant and lazy after 20 years.

"The extra revenue from these fares increase disappears into Labor's escalating debt and budget black hole rather than improving daily travel for commuters.

"Labor's looming $85 billion debt means an interest bill for Queensland taxpayers of $5 billion a year, which equates to about $100 million a week and $595,000 an hour.  The Bligh Government's financial failures are impacting on the lifestyle of all Queenslanders – especially in the delivery of necessary services like transport.

"A CanDo LNP government will work hard to improve our public transport system and will invest in crucial infrastructure," Mr Emerson said.

SurfRail

Quote"A CanDo LNP government will work hard to improve our public transport system and will invest in crucial infrastructure," Mr Emerson said.

Step 1: say we will improve public transport.
Step 2: ?
Step 3: profit improved public transport!
Ride the G:

somebody

The part I find interesting is that he says he will invest in crucial infrastructure.  What infrastructure?

Mr X

The Bruce Highway is the only thing I have heard from the LNP and one of the options being *considered* is a toll to fund it.. yet the LNP's twitter acct told me that was wrong.. yet the LNP said it themselves in a news article..!
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on July 11, 2011, 11:08:49 AM
The part I find interesting is that he says he will invest in crucial infrastructure.  What infrastructure?

2 level crossing grade separations - which he plugged for when he was Mayor and blew his budget on tunnels.  :-t
Ride the G:

Mr X

I'm interested to see what the Greens are proposing (hopefully not a ban on inner city devt.. oh dear). Light rail perhaps?
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Happy Bus User on July 11, 2011, 11:13:42 AM
The Bruce Highway is the only thing I have heard from the LNP and one of the options being *considered* is a toll to fund it.. yet the LNP's twitter acct told me that was wrong.. yet the LNP said it themselves in a news article..!

Where was that article you refer to HBU ?

The only article I saw was in the Courier-Mail and it specifically excluded that option.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Mr X

"I'm not particularly in favour" =\= "No toll"

Though that rumour came from the ALP so who knows what will happen  :-t

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on July 11, 2011, 11:08:49 AM
The crucial kind. You know, the ones that get votes?

Quote from: SurfRail on July 11, 2011, 11:38:04 AM
2 level crossing grade separations - which he plugged for when he was Mayor and blew his budget on tunnels.  :-t
I thought it was he said he'd do it if we elected him, then when he was elected, expected the State government to cover half the cost for each one as "railways are a State government responsibility" ::)

Mr X

It's government; you promise promise promise big ideas once you get in, do sh%t all in office, then blame the opposition/someone else come election time and make more promises.

Notice how Anna Bligh has said nothing about her 100,000 job promise since the 2009 election..?

🡱 🡳