• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Rail rage as train drivers forget to stop at stations

Started by Sunbus610, June 17, 2011, 12:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunbus610

Maroochy Journal
17 June 2011
Sherine Conyers
conyerss@qst.newslt.com.au

Confused by the new train timetables? So are the train drivers it  seems. Commuters attempting to disembark what have been dubbed the ''Bombay Express'' services to from the city to the Sunshine Coast last week were given a rude shock more than  once when some services failed to stop at Dakabin.

While the driver apologised, passengers were left crammed in the train like sardines and furious at having to get off the train at Narangba station to then catch a connecting train south back to their stop.

One furious commuter, who did not wish to be named, said he recently relocated from interstate and was ''mortified'' to see such a poor metropolitan rail network, and drivers who forgot to stop the train.

Click > HERE < for more on this article
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster ..........

PollyWouldLikeASeat

Forgetting to stop at Dakabin is nothing new, it gets missed every couple of weeks.

And Wooloowin is the new Dakabin, we overshot the platform Tuesday morning, the guard announced we were going to backup to the platform, but must of got over-ruled and told to continue on. 

ozbob

From the Maroochy Journal 17th June 2011 page 5

Rail rage as train drivers forget to stop at the station

===============

Used to happen on the Ipswich line with the 12 different express patterns as well ...
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

colinw

Happened to me on the Beenleigh line once as well.  Driver forgot to stop at Fruitgrove!  It was a Kuraby terminator, so they announced that they would accept passengers staying on the train (normally an empty run), and drop them back at Fruitgrove after reversing.

wbj

Yes, it happened to me on night last week.  "like sardines", "furious commuter".  Nothing like a bit of exaggeration to spice up a story.

Gazza

The best one I ever experienced was a train proceeding along the wrong track as far as Sherwood, at which point they realised track work was going on and the line was occupied. Train had to be reversed to Graceville, but I didn't bother waiting for them to muck around with that since my final station was Corinda anyway, so it was gonna be just as quick to walk.

Zoiks

Happens on buses too. Was on a 411 that proceeded to take the 412 route in St Lucia. Passengers actually had to get in an argument with the bus driver that he was doing the wrong route.

Then we had to had to do a U-turn, on Sir Fred Drive - Quite amusing in a bus in peak hour.

Didnt make the news though, even though the bus was sardined and we were furious commuters?

SurfRail

Probably because nobody complained to the press.

I have been on a 761 that took a grand total of no less than 5 wrong turns between Robina Town Centre and The Pines, before the engine blew up!
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on June 18, 2011, 07:14:13 AM
Probably because nobody complained to the press.

I have been on a 761 that took a grand total of no less than 5 wrong turns between Robina Town Centre and The Pines, before the engine blew up!
Most of that trip is on the freeway!  That's quite an achievement.

Golliwog

I had a 385 the other day that thought he was going back to the Toowong depot when he got to the roundabout at Bardon. He realised just after he went past the exit on the roundabout he was meant to take though so we went all the way around the little roundabout, but due to the large turning circle of the bus, had to do a 3 point turn. Luckily this was a Saturday morning.

I've had the 411 think it was a 412 before as well, though the driver realised himself and turn around at the Sir Fred Schonell Drive roundabout.

Also had a new driver on the 362 once and a passenger had to direct the driver along the route.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

justanotheruser

i wonder what the state the passenger was from. I have known this to happen in a couple of other states

Golliwog

I also remember the opposite happening. One of the express services forgot it was one and almost came to a stop at Alderley. Waiting passengers were surprised and all got up and ready before the train sped up again and left them all standing there confused.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

colinw

Some years ago, I caught a train from Spencer St to Warrnambool.  This was in the days of the West Coast Railway, before V/Line took over again.

As we approached a junction - not sure which one, possibly Footscray? - our train came to a sudden halt even though I could see that we had a proceed aspect (as best as I can read the Victorian speed signalling).  I then heard a slam as a door was flung open, and the very large & burly guard leant out and yelled "pull the right lever, you idiot" to the nearby cabin.  It would appear that we were nearly sent up the wrong road (toward Ballarat & Bendigo), not to Geelong.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on June 18, 2011, 16:07:42 PM
I also remember the opposite happening. One of the express services forgot it was one and almost came to a stop at Alderley. Waiting passengers were surprised and all got up and ready before the train sped up again and left them all standing there confused.
This used to be an every day occurrence on the North Shore Line in Sydney.  May have reduced now, but with the skip-stop which applied, signals were often red.  Reduced by the increased utilisation of the Lower North Shore line forcing all stopping to Chatswood.

HappyTrainGuy

Its quite common. Its just no one runs to the media every time it happens as surfrail suggested. Its usually because of the multiple different stopping patterns for busses and trains. Drivers (Train and bus) get used to doing the same stopping patten or route and it just becomes a habbit of stopping/not stopping or turning.

I've heard a few stories already this year about the P339 doing a Griswold at the Chermside roundabout as sometimes the driver gets the exit confused as the usual 335 goes to the Chermside interchange while the 339 cuts through and rejoins where the 335 does the Aspley leg.

justanotheruser

Quote from: Simon on June 18, 2011, 16:56:07 PM
Quote from: Golliwog on June 18, 2011, 16:07:42 PM
This used to be an every day occurrence on the North Shore Line in Sydney.  May have reduced now, but with the skip-stop which applied, signals were often red.  Reduced by the increased utilisation of the Lower North Shore line forcing all stopping to Chatswood.
I don't remember that from my time in sydney although I do remember being in the guards compartment and the driver asking if we stop at a particular station!!!  Guess the training didn't cover how to read a timetable!!!

🡱 🡳