• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Overcrowding Shocker : never in 12 Years ...

Started by Fares_Fair, June 06, 2011, 19:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 01, 2011, 08:24:08 AM
The preliminary estimated resident population of Sunshine
Coast Regional Council at 30 June 2010 was 330,934 persons.

I do not see the relevance in your post above.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

You may have noticed that the railway does not directly serve the vast majority of that population as it is somewhat inland. As has been mentioned on my blog previously, CAMCOS is required to effectively serve that large population base. Then expect 15 minute peak services (on the CAMCOS line that is).

O_128

The Uk is interesting as has a population of 12 million in the greater london area which is approx 1500km square, after this it drops back in farmland and villages so the hourly service on these lines is expected.

Brisbane has a population of 2 million in its greater area and a size of 5400km squared. This shows purely how unsustainable Brisbane is and that if we were and asian or european city our population for this size would be a bout 50 million
"Where else but Queensland?"

Stillwater

Are not those Londoners the poorer for not having a backyard, or a bbq to put in it, perhaps?  Much of Brisbane's growth is being accommodated within its boundaries, while others seek lifestyle choices outside the BCC area.  It is interesting to reflect that Australians are close to the top of the tree when it comes to urbanisation.  Seventy per cent of us live in just 10 major population centres and 80 per cent of us live within 100km of the coast.

As to the Sunshine Coast Line, Nambour is the geographic centre of the Sunshine Coast.  CAMCOS has been postponed for decades, requiring the existing track infrastructure to work harder.  The track duplication to Nambour won't be driven by the needs of passenger rail, but freight.  An investment in the Sunshine Coast Line to Nambour is essential to the state's economic well-being.  The freight trains that operate on that line (unlike train travel on the Ferny Grove, Gold Coast or Cleveland lines, or the line to Shorncliffe for that matter) are part of the profit-making side of rail in Queensland.

The Ipswich Line is also important to freight functions.  In profit and loss terms, an argument can be put that one km of duplicated track on the SCL is a better investment that just about any other rail line in SEQ, except Ipswich, and even better than CAMCOS.  Freight trains won't run to Maroochydore.

mufreight

Fares_Fair

Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

Article: New train service welcomed by sunshine coast commuters.
Wednesday 29 June, 2011
Maroochy Journal
by Sherine Conyers

New train service welcomed by sunshine coast commuters.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/sunshine-coast/new-train-service-welcomed-by-sunshine-coast-commuters/story-fn8m0yxo-1226084091278
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

Article: Relief for sardines.
Wednesday 29 June, 2011
mX newspaper
by Anthony Templeton.

Relief for sardines.

The half hour time saving mentioned in this story is an error, it should read a 1/4 hour.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on July 01, 2011, 08:39:14 AM
Quote from: Fares_Fair on July 01, 2011, 08:24:08 AM
The preliminary estimated resident population of Sunshine
Coast Regional Council at 30 June 2010 was 330,934 persons.

I do not see the relevance in your post above.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

You may have noticed that the railway does not directly serve the vast majority of that population as it is somewhat inland. As has been mentioned on my blog previously, CAMCOS is required to effectively serve that large population base. Then expect 15 minute peak services (on the CAMCOS line that is).
Doesn't have to be direct to service them.  The Gold Coast line before the Varsity Lakes extension had close enough to zero walk up patronage.

I don't think you have made a like for like comparison, and a number of other comparisons have shown the Nambour line service quite poorly.  The only one which I can think which makes the Nambour line look good is Sydney's Southern Highlands line, which is decidedly dodgy (DMU shuttles to Campbelltown, then suburban service.  A couple of peak express runs and a bus on some services). Should there be a flight to the bottom, and if you aren't the worst in the world or the country, then you shouldn't complain?

While CAMCOS may be the ideal solution, it is far off at best.  Something has to be done for the meantime.

Fares_Fair

Article: Reprieve for victims of Bombay Express.
Friday 1st July, 2011
Maroochy Journal

Reprieve for victims of Bombay Express.

Note: Maroochy Journal deadline for publication is Tuesday.

Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

Leaflets being handed out yesterday and today regarding the new timetable changes announced on Wednesday 29 June, 2011.  :-t
I know it isn't QR's responsibility but it would be useful to include connecting bus services on these leaflets.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

It appears that this post is drawing near to a close ...

I will be down at Central station on Monday 11 July, 2011 to observe the 5:04pm train capacity,
then I'll await the arrival of the new 5:28pm service and catch it home.   :-t

I shall receive reports of the 4:00pm Nambour and 4:30pm Nambour services regarding their passenger loadings or standees.

Hopefully all will get a seat (with 1 and 1/2 new trains) and these services will allow room for growth in patronage.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

Tonight I received reports from the 4:00pm, 4:30pm, EXTENDED 5:04pm, NEW 5:28pm and 5:45pm trains.

4:00pm - 24 standees in carriage 3, much less than usual. Equalisation update to be received tomorrow am. Incommunicado via mobile. TRAIN TYPE UNAVAILABLE
4:30pm - 0 standees and empty seats available, equalisation was immediate from Central. TRAIN TYPE UNAVAILABLE
5:04pm - a few standees (less than 10), equalisation occurred at Northgate (20 minutes - acceptable) but NO TOILETS (POSSIBLY SMU ?)
5:28pm - empty seats available, equalisation was immediate from Central. The Hon. Annastacia Palaszczuk travelled from Central to Northgate (20 minutes). NEW SMU 261/268
5:45pm - no standees, all seats full. ICE TRAIN

To summarise, it looks very promising, however today was a pupil free day and I expect tomorrow (and the next 2 weeks) will be the crucial test.
Give people time to vary their habits and return from holidays.
I'm elated tonight however. Wooo Hooo  :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

The Transport Minister, the Hon. Annastacia Palaszczuk boarded the train at Central and disembarked at Northgate, during a 20 minute commute.
I had the opportunity to chat with her about the trains and the other services (numbers wise).
I explained that tonight would be light due to the pupil free day and holidays, however compared to the pictures taken of the Nambour 'crusher'
a lot of commuters were extremely happy to get a seat for the first time in 4 weeks.

The Minister said she was very relieved to see the results of the new service.
I was too !

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Fares_Fair

The Transport Minister, the Hon. Annastacia Palaszczuk MP was worried it may be crowded ... I was worried it wouldn't be !   :-r
I'd have looked a real goose (or for the pedants, a gander) if it wasn't.

Thank you to all here at Rail - Back on Track who championed our cause.  :-t

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Stillwater

How are the passenger loadings working now, FF?

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Stillwater on July 23, 2011, 15:48:58 PM

How are the passenger loadings working now, FF?

The 5:04pm service is generally very well patronised with approx. 20 regular standees per carriage.
Equalisation is occurring anywhere from Petrie to Burpengary.

The 5:28pm service is also very well patronised with approx. 20-30 regular standees per carriage.
This is however nowhere near the overcrowding levels previously experienced.
Equalisation is (variably) occurring from Petrie to Burpengary.

Interesting that these 2 trains are full from Central and there is only room for growth in standees.

5:45pm train also full with maybe 3 standees per carriage. It is now a 5 car ICE set I am told.

Morning services seem to have settled down (evened out perhaps) with fewer standees on the ex-Nambour (Landsborough 6:42am) morning service.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Fares_Fair

UPDATE

The 5:04pm service is generally very well patronised with approx. 20-30 regular standees per carriage.
Equalisation is (variably) occurring anywhere from Petrie to Burpengary.

The 5:28pm service is also very well patronised with approx. 20-30 regular standees per carriage.
Equalisation is (variably) occurring from Petrie to Burpengary.

I have reports tonight of 27 standees per carriage in the 4:30pm train.
Similar numbers in the 4:00pm train.

Contracted counters were on the 4:30pm service tonight.

Interestingly enough, the Sunshine Coast trains are all full from Central and there is only room for growth in the number of standees.
5:45pm train also full with maybe 3 standees per carriage. It is now a 5 car ICE set I am told.

I think it points to the need for another service between the CBD and Petrie.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

If it were I, I'd far rather removing some stops than adding extra services.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Simon on August 24, 2011, 20:24:22 PM
If it were I, I'd far rather removing some stops than adding extra services.

The (admittedly limited) Petrie services I have seen are full of standees too, hence the need for a new service IMHO.
Removing stops would push the Petrie commuters onto their already crowded trains.
I like the idea, believe me, as I'd get a seat. Something I never get now until Petrie to (most commonly) Burpengary.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

🡱 🡳