• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Overcrowding Shocker : never in 12 Years ...

Started by Fares_Fair, June 06, 2011, 19:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Simon on June 28, 2011, 17:46:07 PM
Quote from: SurfRail on June 28, 2011, 17:39:47 PM
With a 15 minute or better basic frequency on both services, changing at Roma Street wouldn't be that much of a bother.
Does still mean doubling back though.  Perhaps not the end of the world.

Change at Roma St, or 5 minute walk from Bowen Hills to the new Exhibition station. Not the end of the world. The overall benefits of CRR are far in excess of this minor negative.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on June 28, 2011, 17:46:07 PM
Quote from: SurfRail on June 28, 2011, 17:39:47 PM
With a 15 minute or better basic frequency on both services, changing at Roma Street wouldn't be that much of a bother.
Does still mean doubling back though.  Perhaps not the end of the world.

The walk between Bowen Hills station and the proposed Ekka station isn't that far. Whenever I've gone to the Ekka, I've walked it rather than pay for the Ekka train or catch a bus. Quite simple.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Fares_Fair

Victory : Sunshine Coast commuter cries heard ...
The changes in a chronological nutshell are:
The existing 5:00pm service from Roma Street (5:04pm from Central) to Caboolture will be extended to Nambour.
The existing 5:22pm Nambour 'crusher' service will now terminate at Caboolture.
A new service from Roma Street to Nambour at 5:28pm (with connecting buses at Landsborough).

Additional bus connection services (605 and 615) are also appreciated and welcomed.

Overall, this is a fantastic response, thanks to all concerned.
Sunshine Coast commuters can now avoid 'crush' hour services.

Thank you to all who lobbied and supported our cause.
I'm elated !!!

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

david

A huge win for Sunshine Coast commuters. Not only has the rather large gap between the 4:34pm service and the old 5:22pm service been fixed, there is now a WHOLE NEW service! I expect there to be plenty of seats for everyone!

Congrats must go to Queensland Rail which must have had a bloody awful job of lobbying TransLink and the government to put on the extra Sunshine Coast services. I never lost faith in Queensland Rail during this whole process and it just goes to show that someone out there is willing to listen.

As for the Sunshine Coast commuters, here presents a wonderful opportunity for those residents to begin catching trains to and from the CBD again. If these new services are not popular, then Queensland Rail may not be so lucky next time when putting forward service improvements in your area.

somebody

One still wonders why the 6/6/2011 timetable was ever proposed.  The flaws were OBVIOUS.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 12:50:27 PM
One still wonders why the 6/6/2011 timetable was ever proposed.  The flaws were OBVIOUS.

Interestingly enough, the 5:04 pm service is identical to that proposed in the original draft timetable.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Quote from: Fares_Fair on June 29, 2011, 12:54:54 PM

Interestingly enough, the 5:04 pm service is identical to that proposed in the original draft timetable.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
The mind boggles.  Basically, they have now had three attempts to do something which they should have been able to do better the first time around, but apparently didn't want to.

Do you remember them saying that they "can't" improve on the 6/6/2011 timetable?

O_128

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

That's what I thought yet everyone cried, We all knew it was a load of rubbish though about the unable to better timetables, Im sure Translink will magically be able pull out 1 or 2 more nambour trains in the next couple of years.
"Where else but Queensland?"

wbj

Some day someone will have to explain to me why QR can run trains from Nambour, Caboolture and Petrie into Central at 3 minute spacings in the AM peak period but leaves 6 minute gaps in the PM peak period for northbound trains.

Regardless, the tweak to the timetable looks to be elegant and effective.  When does it start?

Congratulations to all concerned.

ozbob

Quote from: wbj on June 29, 2011, 16:41:18 PM
Some day someone will have to explain to me why QR can run trains from Nambour, Caboolture and Petrie into Central at 3 minute spacings in the AM peak period but leaves 6 minute gaps in the PM peak period for northbound trains.

Regardless, the tweak to the timetable looks to be elegant and effective.  When does it start?

Congratulations to all concerned.

July 11.  The gaps in the PM are for future services and extras.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

wbj

Quote from: ozbob on June 29, 2011, 16:46:43 PM

That implies that there will be no future services or extras for the AM peak.

somebody

Quote from: wbj on June 29, 2011, 17:18:26 PM
Quote from: ozbob on June 29, 2011, 16:46:43 PM

That implies that there will be no future services or extras for the AM peak.
Correct.  There is no room for additional Cab/NBR services between 7:41am and 8:26am (Central arrival time).  Growth can only be accommodated by:
1) Freeing the lines from serving stations between Bowen Hills and Northgate
2) Extending the duration of the peak period to encourage pax to travel earlier and/or later
3) CRR

Arnz

Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 13:13:06 PM

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
The mind boggles.  Basically, they have now had three attempts to do something which they should have been able to do better the first time around, but apparently didn't want to.

Do you remember them saying that they "can't" improve on the 6/6/2011 timetable?

Have to wonder why the "extra" service wasn't added originally to the draft afternoon TT.  I'm only guessing it's more to do with IMU utilisation I suspect, the IMU fleet can be stretched when there are a few out of service for maintenance (hence SMU260s to GC and SC on occasions).
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

HappyTrainGuy

IMUs and SMU260s are the only rollingstock that's ideal to run on the Gold Coast line because they are the only rollingstock that can meet the signed speeds and scheduled running times past Beenleigh (EMUs, SMU200-220s topping out just over 100kph with the rest hitting 140kph with ease). With more SMUs and IMUs coming into service their slowly finding their way onto the NCL. IIRC most SC services are still based on EMU running times unless they have been reserved for certain rollingstock/services ie Gympie North services having the ATP tripping in at 120kph on the ICE sets.

Edit - Added some detail.

somebody

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on June 29, 2011, 20:09:42 PM
IMUs and SMU260s are the only rollingstock that's ideal to run on the Gold Coast line because they are the only rollingstock that can meet the signed speeds and scheduled running times past Beenleigh (EMUs, SMU200-220s topping out just over 100kph with the rest hitting 140kph with ease). IIRC most SC services are still based on EMU running times unless they have been reserved for certain rollingstock ie Gympie North services.
:thsdo

Arnz

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on June 29, 2011, 20:09:42 PM
IMUs and SMU260s are the only rollingstock that's ideal to run on the Gold Coast line because they are the only rollingstock that can meet the signed speeds and scheduled running times past Beenleigh. IIRC most SC services are still based on EMU running times unless they have been reserved for certain rollingstock ie Gympie North services.

IIRC the new SC timetable had most services based on the IMU100/120 running times.  I've also noticed the regular suspects IMU101 (the orphan IMU due to no comms systems installed) and IMU107 substituting for the ICE on the shuttles.

EMUs were seen in the 2nd week (starts at Richlands in the morning and heads up to Nambour and ends in Ipswich in the evening), but that led to 10-15 min delays as a result (not to mention the 25 min turn-around time at Roma Street for off-peak services), hence the SMU260s being regular substitutes in the past week.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: Arnz on June 29, 2011, 20:15:30 PM
IIRC the new SC timetable had most services based on the IMU100/120 running times.

Ah okay. I assume they allowed for that as they now outnumber the slower EMUs/SMUs running the line currently or in the near future?

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 29, 2011, 20:51:23 PM
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunshine-coast-line-fixed.html
You can stop complaining now!
Yawn.

While I agree with your points on fares for the Sunshine Coast, I must side with Fares_Fair about the quality of the service.  Slowing down the service isn't exactly something I am in favour of.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 20:57:38 PM
Yawn.

While I agree with your points on fares for the Sunshine Coast, I must side with Fares_Fair about the quality of the service.  Slowing down the service isn't exactly something I am in favour of.

Given how many times this has been discussed in the last 6 months, I would have thought that you would have realised that there is no other realistic option than to slow down the services. TransLink and QR have done a very good job of fitting as many trains as possible down one track.

mufreight

Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 13:13:06 PM

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

QR was only able to resolve the issue because of the levels of customer feedback, the problem as it all too frequently is was the intransigence of Translink and Queensland Transport who if the truth be known would have prefered to have done nothing working on the basis of if the commuters do not like what we have offered then let them travel by car and with less commuters we will not have to change anything and the lower passenger numbers as a consequence will then justify not having done anything.

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 29, 2011, 21:57:48 PM
Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 20:57:38 PM
Yawn.

While I agree with your points on fares for the Sunshine Coast, I must side with Fares_Fair about the quality of the service.  Slowing down the service isn't exactly something I am in favour of.

Given how many times this has been discussed in the last 6 months, I would have thought that you would have realised that there is no other realistic option than to slow down the services. TransLink and QR have done a very good job of fitting as many trains as possible down one track.
Sigh.  As you should know, I have posted on how it is possible.  You just don't support it being done that way, because you dislike long distance commuting.  And are (like TL) trotting out the line "it can't be done", when you really just don't want it to be.

#Metro

QR was only able to resolve the issue because of the levels of customer feedback, the problem as it all too frequently is was the intransigence of Translink and Queensland Transport who if the truth be known would have prefered to have done nothing working on the basis of if the commuters do not like what we have offered then let them travel by car and with less commuters we will not have to change anything and the lower passenger numbers as a consequence will then justify not having done anything.

Sorry, but I disagree. I just can't agree with the Anti-TransLink crusade position.
People ASKED for a more convenient service, and they got it, and then it was overcrowded, they did monitoring, RailBOT suggested solutions
and now a tweak has been put in. Everything has worked as it should.

Hats off to TransLink, QR and the Minister on getting this problem fixed in a timely manner.  :-t

PS: No I don't work for TransLink or any other QLD Gov department...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

SurfRail

If the only media-worthy issue was a single Sunshine Coast train in the pm peak, then in all honesty they have managed this very well. 

The extinction of the Tennyson line has received precisely NO press coverage that I am aware of.
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on June 29, 2011, 22:38:18 PM

Sorry, but I disagree. I just can't agree with the Anti-TransLink crusade position.
People ASKED for a more convenient service, and they got it, and then it was overcrowded, they did monitoring, RailBOT suggested solutions
and now a tweak has been put in. Everything has worked as it should.

Hats off to TransLink, QR and the Minister on getting this problem fixed in a timely manner.  :-t

PS: No I don't work for TransLink or any other QLD Gov department...

But that doesn't address the issue that this problem should never have occurred in the first place.

Fares_Fair

That is your choice to say how you feel in your (lone) blog.
Your attempts at a blog appear purely to be inflammatory, probably deliberately so just to get attention.
I have given it far too much here already.

Your continual rants and clear bias against all things Sunshine Coast are far worse than our whinging.

Maybe you need to get out of the writers whinging blog and actually work to achieve change.
Thats the difference between us !

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

PS Other than that the blog site looks nice.  :)
It could use some lightening up.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

BrizCommuter

Edited:

BrizCommuter has little sympathy for those who make environmentally unsustainable commutes, and then demand a train service that compromises the train services to other rail users. From the 11th July the Sunshine Coast line will have a train service that exceeds many international benchmarks. Yet a quick look at the Courier Mail's comments page still shows Sunshine Coast commuters making crazy demands to support their lifestyle - e.g an express only stopping at Nambour and Landsborough.

Quote from: Fares_Fair on June 30, 2011, 09:32:45 AM

With more than 3,000 unique readers in the last month, it's really not that lonely!  ;)

Arnz

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 30, 2011, 19:02:20 PM
From the 11th July the Sunshine Coast line will have a train service that exceeds many international benchmarks.

I would think the Illawarra/Cronulla (3-4tph) and Gold Coast Line (4tph) would be well ahead of the Sunshine Coast line in regards to peak interurban "benchmarks".  Especially with the limited track infrastructure of the later on the Beenleigh line (GC).

QuoteYet a quick look at the Courier Mail's comments page still shows Sunshine Coast commuters making crazy demands to support their lifestyle - e.g an express only stopping at Nambour and Landsborough.

A lot of commuters on other interurban lines also make absurd suggestions like this, don't single Sunshine Coast commuters out of this.  

It wasn't too long ago (some 2-3 years back) when we had a newspaper article on some Gold Coast commuters (with no offense to the other GC commuters not involved) calling for a Ormeau - Brisbane CBD express.
Rgds,
Arnz

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Arnz on June 30, 2011, 19:13:12 PM
From the 11th July the Sunshine Coast line will have a train service that exceeds many international benchmarks.

I would think the Illawarra/Cronulla (3-4tph) and Gold Coast Line (4tph) would be well ahead of the Sunshine Coast line in regards to peak interurban "benchmarks".  Especially with the limited track infrastructure of the later on the Beenleigh line (GC).

QuoteYet a quick look at the Courier Mail's comments page still shows Sunshine Coast commuters making crazy demands to support their lifestyle - e.g an express only stopping at Nambour and Landsborough.

A lot of commuters on other interurban lines also make absurd suggestions like this, don't single Sunshine Coast commuters out of this.  

It wasn't too long ago (some 2-3 years back) when we had a newspaper article on some Gold Coast commuters (with no offense to the other GC commuters not involved) calling for a Ormeau - Brisbane CBD express.

The patronage of the Gold Coast Line is approx. 300% higher than the Sunshine Coast Line. Can't answer for Illawarra/Cronulla Lines, but the outer suburban patronage is also likely to be far in excess of the Sunshine Coast Line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a valid point however about unreasonable demands by commuters on other lines, however some Sunshine Coast commuters have excelled themselves in the last 6 months in this area. "I want an express to my stationitis" exists on all lines, and lack of understanding of how railways work is chronic amongst SE Queenslanders. In 5 months, expect unreasonable demands from Gold Coast Line users too!

PS: Quadrupling of the Ferny Grove Line is not unreasonable!

mufreight

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 30, 2011, 19:26:01 PM

The patronage of the Gold Coast Line is approx. 300% higher than the Sunshine Coast Line. Can't answer for Illawarra/Cronulla Lines, but the outer suburban patronage is also likely to be far in excess of the Sunshine Coast Line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a valid point however about unreasonable demands by commuters on other lines, however some Sunshine Coast commuters have excelled themselves in the last 6 months in this area. "I want an express to my stationitis" exists on all lines, and lack of understanding of how railways work is chronic amongst SE Queenslanders. In 5 months, expect unreasonable demands from Gold Coast Line users too!
[/quote]

So after an ongoing bleat covering a number of years by the white shoe brigade on the Gold Coast and getting all the attention and resources poured into the GC rail services to the detriment of the rest of the commuter rail system the Sunshine Cost commuters used the same tactics for less than a year and despite the political reluctance secured for themselves a well overdue slice of the cake and immediately there is a further outcry by the Gold Coast white shoe brigade crying foul and denigrating the efforts of the Sunshine Coast commuters who over less than a year have used the same tactics we were all subjected to by the Gold Coast commuters over a number of years.

Gazza

^And if anything, at least its getting PT issues some attention, and I've got absolutley no problem with people fighting for higher frequency.
If agitation proves effective, then other people on the other lines might join in, and who knows, the 'rail revolution' might actually happen.

david

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 30, 2011, 19:26:01 PM

Yes, I suspect that Gold Coast trains will have to stop all stations between Beenleigh and Kuraby and then run express Kuraby to South Bank (or something similar) during the peak periods in order to maximise capacity. Imagine the uproar when that happens!

Also BrizCommuter, could you clarify your position on express trains on the Ferny Grove line. Would you prefer to have frequent all-stoppers (say...every 12 mins with services every 6 mins during core peak) or have some express trains?

PS: Quadrupling of the Ferny Grove Line is not unreasonable!

Please tell me that you're joking.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: david on June 30, 2011, 20:31:07 PM
Please tell me that you're joking.

Only when the freight/goods/mail trains start running out there again  ;)

BrizCommuter

Quote from: david on June 30, 2011, 20:31:07 PM

Also BrizCommuter, could you clarify your position on express trains on the Ferny Grove line. Would you prefer to have frequent all-stoppers (say...every 12 mins with services every 6 mins during core peak) or have some express trains?

After full duplication, all services should be all stations to/from Ferny Grove. No expresses, no Mitchelton reversers. This would result in a "metro style" peak service to all stations. As per a recent blog posts there is not likely to be more than 8tph track slots available to the Ferny Grove Line, but this should still result in core peak 6 to 9 minute service. This will cope with demand in the near future.

Stillwater

Freight train operations is the sleeping giant issue for the Sunshine Coast Line: http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5101.0

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 22:03:28 PM
You just don't support it being done that way, because you hate long distance commuters and support their suffering. 

That's a very defamatory comment, and I ask that it is removed otherwise further action will be taken. Hate is a very strong word, and BrizCommuter most definitely does not hate long distance commuters*. Otherwise would BrizCommuter have been making suggestions as how to improve the Sunshine Coast service?

However, BrizCommuter has little sympathy for those who make environmentally unsustainable commutes, and then demand a train service that compromises the train services to other rail users. From the 11th July the Sunshine Coast line will have a train service that exceeds many international benchmarks. Yet a quick look at the Courier Mail's comments page still shows Sunshine Coast commuters making crazy demands to support their lifestyle - e.g an express only stopping at Nambour and Landsborough.

*BrizCommuter does not hate any commuters, however aisle seat hogs come close.

With more than 3,000 unique readers in the last month, it's really not that lonely!  ;)

Hello Briz,

Fair enough.
Is the pen mightier than the sword of action in this instance ?  :dntk

May I ask what international benchmarks you refer to ?
Is it the one where I had to wait for almost an hour and a half after the CRG last night for a train home ? (7:04pm to 8:30pm)
What country might that be ?  ;)

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Fares_Fair on June 30, 2011, 22:52:54 PM
Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2011, 22:03:28 PM
You just don't support it being done that way, because you hate long distance commuters and support their suffering. 

That's a very defamatory comment, and I ask that it is removed otherwise further action will be taken. Hate is a very strong word, and BrizCommuter most definitely does not hate long distance commuters*. Otherwise would BrizCommuter have been making suggestions as how to improve the Sunshine Coast service?

However, BrizCommuter has little sympathy for those who make environmentally unsustainable commutes, and then demand a train service that compromises the train services to other rail users. From the 11th July the Sunshine Coast line will have a train service that exceeds many international benchmarks. Yet a quick look at the Courier Mail's comments page still shows Sunshine Coast commuters making crazy demands to support their lifestyle - e.g an express only stopping at Nambour and Landsborough.

*BrizCommuter does not hate any commuters, however aisle seat hogs come close.

With more than 3,000 unique readers in the last month, it's really not that lonely!  ;)

Hello Briz,

Fair enough.
Is the pen mightier than the sword of action in this instance ?  :dntk

May I ask what international benchmarks you refer to ?
Is it the one where I had to wait for almost an hour and a half after the CRG last night for a train home ? (7:04pm to 8:30pm)
What country might that be ?  ;)

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

The UK, to a place of similar population density (i.e. a few small villages, and a sprawling metropolis of 10,000).

Fares_Fair

The preliminary estimated resident population of Sunshine
Coast Regional Council at 30 June 2010 was 330,934 persons.

I do not see the relevance in your post above.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

🡱 🡳