• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

[GCB] Shadow Minister rides crammed train

Started by SurfRail, June 01, 2011, 11:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

Quote from: Gold Coast BulletinShadow Minister rides crammed train
Matthew Killoran   |  June 1st, 2011

Nicolas Harrington, of Coomera, on the Gold Coast line. Pic: Matthew Killoran.
RISING ticket prices and overcrowded trains were on Shadow Transport Minister Scott Emerson's mind as he rode the Gold Coast line this morning.

Mr Emerson spoke to passengers about their issues with public transport on the 6.49am Airport train when he got on at Helensvale Station.

Some passengers had brought their own stools, with many saying they never expect to get a seat for the 50 minute journey.

Mr Emerson said it was up to the State Government to do something about overcrowding through the budget to be handed down in two weeks time.

The price of a paper train ticket from Helensvale to Central Station is $12.40 and is forecast to increase by 15 per cent a year for the next three years. It costs $8.51 using a go card.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/01/320125_gold-coast-news.html

I'd like to see just what he proposes to do about overcrowding.
Ride the G:

#Metro

So If the price is reduced, the train will be EVEN MORE crowded!  ;D

Time for more line capacity...

This is one of those " I hear your pain" skits the pollies pull out from time to time aka "Listening tours".
I'm not a TMR. Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

The solutions are fairly obvious.  Reconfigure the IMUs to have lateral rather than longitudinal seating (seriously, what were they thinking?), up the Robina stabling and temporal spreading - add a train at 6:19am ex-Helensvale, and also 6:49am.  And make it truly clockface.

ozbob

Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
01/06/2011

Transport Minister calls on LNP to support Cross River Rail

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk today called on LNP MPs Scott Emerson and Michael Crandon to defy their Leader Campbell Newman and support the Cross River Rail project to improve Gold Coast rail services.

"The LNP is making an art form of amateurish public representation," Ms Palaszczuk said today.

"Their press release and media stunt from this morning is the ultimate slap in the face for Gold Coast commuters."

Ms Palaszczuk said it was time for the LNP rank and file to stand up to Campbell Newman and support Cross River Rail which is widely acknowledged by experts as the best solution to improving rail services to and from the Gold Coast.

Currently there is only one way for trains to cross the Brisbane River in the inner city - the Merivale Bridge between South Brisbane and Roma Street Station.

Trains on the Gold Coast, Beenleigh, Cleveland, Ferny Grove, Airport and Doomben lines must travel across this one bridge.

Without a second river crossing there will not be room for more train services between north and south of Brisbane.

But in March this year Campbell Newman told the Brisbane Times:

"I'd actually like to see this Cross River Rail project completely stopped right now."

Ms Palaszczuk said LNP MPs were recently asked by Sunshine Coast newspapers what would they do with $1 billion and no one replied.

"Their own transport spokesperson doesn't even know what to do with a billion dollars which only serves to highlight the apathy towards coast commuters," she said.

"I acknowledge issues on the Gold Coast line and that's why we're committed to revamping the Gold Coast timetable and Cross River Rail.

"The biggest overhaul of timetables on the Ipswich and Caboolture train lines in 15 years will begin next Monday and will add an extra 150,000 seats per week to the network and more frequent services."

==============================================================
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 12:25:14 PMReconfigure the IMUs to have lateral rather than longitudinal seating (seriously, what were they thinking?)

That is a perfectly valid solution for suburban rollingstock.  Not for interurbans where average trip times are exceeding 40-50 minutes with lengthy periods of express running. There is still plenty of standing room available on virtually all services anyway.

Other suggestions are worthwhile, but I prefer all services originating at Varsity Lakes.
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on June 01, 2011, 13:46:00 PM
Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 12:25:14 PMReconfigure the IMUs to have lateral rather than longitudinal seating (seriously, what were they thinking?)

That is a perfectly valid solution for suburban rollingstock.  Not for interurbans where average trip times are exceeding 40-50 minutes with lengthy periods of express running. There is still plenty of standing room available on virtually all services anyway.

Other suggestions are worthwhile, but I prefer all services originating at Varsity Lakes.
The thing is the longitudinal seating was done for interurbans.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 13:48:13 PM
The thing is the longitudinal seating was done for interurbans.

Ah sorry, I've just had a brain fart  :-[ - you mean the drive trailer cars in the IMU 100 and 120 series with the long "accessible pathway". 

I'd be happy for them to use an identical seating layout to the SMU 200s and 220s, which has about half the longtitudinal seating in that spot.  The 160/260 layout is better and more accessible, but I wonder as to whether that is achievable without a lot more work because of where the fairings are positioned around the doors.

I'd also like to see the 2x2 seats reconfigured on the 100/120/200/220 sets.  The 2 in the middle of each car seem to have plenty of room, whereas the other 4 in each car are very squeezy - convert those into 2 sets of 1x2 each.
Ride the G:

ozbob

http://www.scottemerson.com.au/news/lnp-connects-with-gold-coast-commuters.html

Opposition Statement

Scott Emerson MP
Shadow Minister for Transport, Multicultural Affairs and the Arts
LNP Member for Indooroopilly

Michael Crandon MP
LNP Member for Coomera

1 June 2011

LNP connects with Gold Coast commuters

THE LNP connected with Gold Coast rail commuters this morning to hear firsthand concerns with service schedules and chronic overcrowding.

LNP Shadow Transport Minister Scott Emerson joined LNP Member for Coomera Michael Crandon at Helensvale station to meet commuters and catch the 6:49am service to Central.

Mr Emerson and Mr Crandon caught what locals call the 'Bombay Express' to experience the overcrowding.

"It was a great opportunity to meet local commuters and hear how the Bligh government doesn't provide the services that this high-growth region needs," Mr Emerson said.

"I enjoyed the trip, but commuters aren't happy with the over-crowding and cramming, and the government should be doing a lot more to properly service the region's commuters," he said.

"Fares  keep going up, but the service  doesn't improve and the loss of monthly, six-monthly and 12-month fare discounts when Labor bungled the introduction of GoCard  has just added to cost of living burden under this tired, long-term Labor Government.

"These extra costs have gone into Labor's escalating debt and budget black hole rather than improving services."

LNP Member for Coomera Michael Crandon said despite all the promises from the Bligh government nothing had changed in the past two years to upgrade services in one of the highest-growth corridors in the state.

Michael Crandon, whose electorate includes Helensvale, Coomera and Ormeau stations, with Beenleigh just outside, said improvements were years overdue.

"Everyone knows the commuter trains are woefully over-crowded and even a five percent increase in passenger numbers effectively means an extra 50 people are forced to stand for the one hour-twenty minute journey to and from the Gold Coast to Brisbane.

"We need to get the message through to new Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk that the people of the Gold Coast do matter and they deserve a fair go.

"State Labor needs to stop treating the people of the Gold Coast as second-class citizens.

"The CanDo LNP team will cut the waste and get the frontline services that matter right."
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

#Metro

"Fares  keep going up, but the service  doesn't improve and the loss of monthly, six-monthly and 12-month fare discounts when Labor bungled the introduction of GoCard  has just added to cost of living burden under this tired, long-term Labor Government.

Oh puleeze,

Trot out the "I hear your pain, there there" rubbish. What's their plan?

If you put fares DOWN then not only do you make the system lose money (you going to give a discount to PEAK HOUR commuters?) but the lower price would also increase the number of people wanting to catch the service-- which will make overcrowding WORSE, not better.

Extending the line will also not help overcrowding- this isn't so much a coverage problem, this is a service intensity problem. There just aren't enough trains, and the number of trains are limited by the number of slots available across the Merivale Bridge.

Duh!!!

Sick and tired of Zero-information content /  zero action releases like this. "I rode a crowded train", well woop-de-doo
go ride the Sunshine Coast line, its 10x worse than whatever Gold Coast has.
I'm not a TMR. Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Stillwater

There must have been a second page from the Emerson media statement that's somehow gone missing!  I think this is what it read:

Mr Emerson said that, as the LNP 'Can Do team' cut waste in government it would move immediately to do ............................. and ............................ to improve service levels and reduce overcrowding on Gold Coast trains.

"We know that Queensland families are hurting, doing it tough after the floods.  That is why an LNP government will be taking these steps within 100 days of being elected to alter the fare structure and encourage more people to use public transport ..................................................................... ."  (I can't remember exactly what the blacks were, but Mr Emerson can fill them in.)

Mr Emerson said the QR train fleet needed augmentation in addition to train sets that the Bligh government placed on order to achieve greater levels of frequency across the network.  "We need more innovation and better value for money so we get better bang for our buck.  That is why I pledge to pick up the phone on my first day as minister and speak to my WA counterpart about placing a joint order for new narrow-gauge train sets.  Economies of scale will deliver real savings for the taxpayers of WA and Queensland.

"Meanwhile, as I do a quick hop home to Indooroopilly on the train, my heart goes out to those making the trip home to the coast packied in like sardines."

mufreight

The overcrowding can be relieved by providing additional services, two additional services could be run all stations off the coast as far as Kuraby then express via the Tennyson loop then Sherwood, Indoorpilly, Toowong and Roma Street.
No problems with paths accross the Merivale Street bridge and in the afternoon peak the reverse.  
Simple all it needs are the motivation and four three car sets to operate the services.
Now before the resident experts start, the possibility of crossing conflicts getting from the loop to the mains at Sherwood are minimal as the contra peak flow is minimal and going with the peak flow there gaps in the all stations services operating on the suburbans that would allow the cross with minimal disruption to any other services.

SurfRail

Quote from: tramtrain on June 01, 2011, 16:00:00 PMOh puleeze

Indeed.

What we have is as follows:

ALP

• Duplicate Coomera to Helensvale...by 2020
  • 3rd track from Kuraby to Kingston...at some undefined point in the future
  • Cross River Rail...by 2018...if we're lucky
  • More rollingstock
  • No commitment to 15 minute frequencies in the off-peak
  • Magically stop the Tories ruining everything (so they say)

LNP

• To be determined
  • Magically fix everything the Fabians have ruined (so they say)

I shall not do the LNP the discourtesy of listing above their notions about scrapping Cross River Rail or Gold Coast Rapid Transit, nor either side their obsession with motorways and tunnels, nor the ALP's mismanagement of the public consultation process.

You can imagine that I am not terribly sanguine about the ability of either platform to do anything of substance for Gold Coast line commuters.
Ride the G:

SurfRail

Quote from: mufreight on June 01, 2011, 16:59:54 PM
The overcrowding can be relieved by providing additional services, two additional services could be run all stations off the coast as far as Kuraby then express via the Tennyson loop then Sherwood, Indoorpilly, Toowong and Roma Street.
No problems with paths accross the Merivale Street bridge and in the afternoon peak the reverse.  
Simple all it needs are the motivation and four three car sets to operate the services.
Now before the resident experts start, the possibility of crossing conflicts getting from the loop to the mains at Sherwood are minimal as the contra peak flow is minimal and going with the peak flow there gaps in the all stations services operating on the suburbans that would allow the cross with minimal disruption to any other services.

In my mind anything that makes the services less legible or consistent, or introduces new complexity (no matter how minor) is a very clear step backwards.  Providing more all-stations trains between Kuraby and Beenleigh doesn't exactly improve things either.

I am confident the timetable review will fix some of the immediate capacity problems, but Cross River Rail will be needed and fast.  Sherwood routed services seem to be like an admission of failure.
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: mufreight on June 01, 2011, 16:59:54 PM
Other problems with the plan outlined by mufreight:
Coomera-Helensvale is a 6 minute single track section.  You would have to timetable these to dodge the counter peak services.  I suppose this is achievable.
The Ipswich line causes a train to arrive on platform 9 at Roma Street every 3 minutes from 7:27am to 8:06am.  These additional services would need dodge these times, and would also prevent the addition of Ipswich line services in the affected slots.
There is no more space in the Robina stabling (or Beenleigh), so such services would need to run out of service from Mayne.

I don't see a compelling reason to introduce this complexity.

Quote from: SurfRail on June 01, 2011, 17:05:03 PM
I am confident the timetable review will fix some of the immediate capacity problems, but Cross River Rail will be needed and fast.  Sherwood routed services seem to be like an admission of failure.
Why?  There is little which can be done on current infrastructure.  The Gold Coast line is one line that the timetable doesn't fall short of the mark by much, although it could be more homogeneous.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 17:39:00 PM
There is no more space in the Robina stabling (or Beenleigh), so such services would need to run out of service from Mayne.

There is however room for at least another 10 x 3-car sets in the western yard at Robina - subject only to the minor problem of the tracks not yet existing. 

Quote from: SurfRail on June 01, 2011, 17:05:03 PM
Why?  There is little which can be done on current infrastructure.  The Gold Coast line is one line that the timetable doesn't fall short of the mark by much, although it could be more homogeneous.

It certainly isn't a cure-all, and I would be as surprised as you if it resulted in any new services south of Beenleigh – maybe a single inbound and outbound trip, probably in the (very narrow) shoulder peak.

The opportunity comes from optimising stopping patterns and headways, and therefore encouraging people boarding Gold Coast trains at Beenleigh to use the rather plentiful capacity on originating services from there.
Ride the G:

somebody

Pretty sure the tracks have been laid for 4x 3 cars on the western side.  These slots have already been used up.  I'm amazed that they didn't do it all in one go and eliminate some positioning moves.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 18:04:52 PM
Pretty sure the tracks have been laid for 4x 3 cars on the western side.  These slots have already been used up.  I'm amazed that they didn't do it all in one go and eliminate some positioning moves.

As am I.  The yard has been graded and levelled for 6 or 7 tracks - only 2 there though! 

Probably is as much a giveaway as anything about how many new services they are expecting to add in the next couple of years.
Ride the G:

🡱 🡳